HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The KHL Impact on World Championships

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2012, 10:29 AM
  #51
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
They`ll find a way,i`m sure. And btw what was about the buzz about Liepajas metalurgs joining VHL?why such rumour even appeared?
There were whispers (and nothing more) about DR wanting a VHL team. So our pseudo-journalists from web simply speculated where it should play. Like LM really needs VHL, they aren't even outgrown BOL.

ozo is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:30 AM
  #52
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Short term results don't give a good picture. Norway had a sick run as a team and they've learned some winning culture, which imo makes them think more of going for wins in each game instead of just surviving.
Imo Latvia is still too much in the "survival mode" when playing against big teams, though that has changed a lot IMO in the last years. I remember not so long ago when I thought that playing Latvia was a piece of cake and those games were the ones where you could sit back and relax and watch finnish players beautify their stat sheets (or bang their head on a wall called Arturs Irbe ) Now whenever Latvia plays Finland the games are pretty close and usually very exciting games. I notice that winning now seems like much more of an accomplishment than it did in the late 90s.
Thats exactly what im saying people think that results will come in 4 years but for a whole generation to develop it takes alot longer time than that

BalticWarrior is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:31 AM
  #53
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25
 
ViD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blue Jackets Area
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,295
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Well, let's see how many KHL players top 6-7 teams had at the last Olympics, where the best-of-the best hockey players compete.
All top European teams had KHL representatives. Overall there was 64 players from KHL

ViD is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:31 AM
  #54
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
There were whispers (and nothing more) about DR wanting a VHL team. So our pseudo-journalists from web simply speculated where it should play. Like LM really needs VHL, they aren't even outgrown BOL.
As i suspect you are more intelligent in this area than me- is it even feasible that we get a VHL club?

BalticWarrior is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:33 AM
  #55
LOFIN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Hey, Canadian coming in peace here. Maybe this isn't the right place, but, I'm curious, and have some questions...

What would the impact of the KHL having teams in countries with their own domestic leagues (ie, SEL, DEL, NLA, SM-Liiga, etc)?

Do they have difficulty expanding to countries with their own strong domestic leagues due to them being...well stronger domestically?

What has been the impact on non-Russian countries joining the league (ie, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, etc)?

Lastly, is there any realistic chance for the KHL to truly become 'continental' league with it being as heavily Russian-dominated as it is? Or is just to be a glorified Russian league?

Thank you!
I'd say trying to expand to countries with strong domestic leagues would be a failure. KHL has done great job advancing in areas, where hockey or domestic leagues are not as popular, but trying to expand to Finland or Sweden for an example wouldn't really work. We already have a rich tradition in our clubs and leagues, and I for an example, would not be exited to see my club playing against Dynamos and Traktors and whatevers from Russia. I want to see my club play against Jokerit and Lukko etc. and see them battling for the Canada cup (trophy of SM-Liiga), and I know that's how pretty much every hockey fan in Finland and Sweden feels.

LOFIN is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:34 AM
  #56
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I`ll explain you cant change current players,you just cant. CHANGE will come with the next generation like Indrasis and bicevskis,the real impact should be evaluated in about 5-10 years when our mhl teams bring us new prospects to Dinamo riga.
I agree that our current players are what they are. No amount of facing AK Bars will make Cipulis or Meija a superstar.

But next generation players like Indrasis? Seriously He was a professional player even before DR was revived. We still have to wait few years before we can start talking about next gen players.

ozo is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
  #57
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25
 
ViD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blue Jackets Area
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,295
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
I can tell you for sure that for Fedorov it was all about money. i'm pretty sure it was the same for all those other players.
and, since you've mentioned Jagr, I don't think even my comrades KHL fans will argue that it was all about money for him as well. Even Jagr himself wouldn't argue that. Also, it was all about money for Radulov.
Nothing wrong here. You gotta have a way to get the best players to a newly created league and money is obviously the easiest way

ViD is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
  #58
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
All top European teams had KHL representatives. Overall there was 64 players from KHL
Finland will have a lot more KHL players in Sotchi than Vanouver. I'm guessing Russia, Czech and Slovakia will as well.

Muuri is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:37 AM
  #59
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I agree that our current players are what they are. No amount of facing AK Bars will make Cipulis or Meija a superstar.

But next generation players like Indrasis? Seriously He was a professional player even before DR was revived. We still have to wait few years before we can start talking about next gen players.
Oh yeah i phrased that wrong,i`m not calling him our next gen prospect but pretty good prospect thats comming out of khl-mhl system.

BalticWarrior is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:37 AM
  #60
CCCP
Registered User
 
CCCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
All top European teams had KHL representatives. Overall there was 64 players from KHL
My point exactly! 64 out of couple of hundreds. I guess I should be more clear about the joke part: I meant it from the business side. Crazy salaries, small arenas, no profit at all (excpet for Dynamo Roga i believe), etc.

CCCP is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
  #61
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
My point exactly! 64 out of couple of hundreds. I guess I should be more clear about the joke part: I meant it from the business side. Crazy salaries, small arenas, no profit at all (excpet for Dynamo Roga i believe), etc.
There are some few decent arenas like minsk arena(15thousand),st.peters(10 thousand) Riga (10 thousand)

BalticWarrior is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:39 AM
  #62
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
As i suspect you are more intelligent in this area than me- is it even feasible that we get a VHL club?
It's not financially viable and not even needed because of the competative level of the VHL because as I said, it's not like LM is doing too well in Belarus. Though, I'm all for loaning 5-6 players out for a season to any willing VHL team.

ozo is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:39 AM
  #63
CCCP
Registered User
 
CCCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Nothing wrong here. You gotta have a way to get the best players to a newly created league and money is obviously the easiest way
Oh, of course ther eis nothing wrong with wanting to make more money, I absolutely agree with that. Ask yourself this question: how many players would come to the KHL for the same money they would be making in NHL? I don't think too many of them would, do u?

CCCP is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
  #64
CCCP
Registered User
 
CCCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
There are some few decent arenas like minsk arena(15thousand),st.peters(10 thousand) Riga (10 thousand)
Few is a key word. There are also arenas like one in Podolsk. Plus, 10K arena = small arena.

CCCP is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:42 AM
  #65
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
It's not financially viable and not even needed because of the competative level of the VHL because as I said, it's not like LM is doing too well in Belarus. Though, I'm all for loaning 5-6 players out for a season to any willing VHL team.
I think we DO need a VHL club. why? we need a club that lets our young talents play on 1,2 lines and not push their senior player agendas.

BalticWarrior is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:42 AM
  #66
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Few is a key word. There are also arenas like one in Podolsk. Plus, 10K arena = small arena.
10 is not small.wtf,stop trolling dude.

BalticWarrior is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
  #67
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25
 
ViD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blue Jackets Area
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,295
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
My point exactly! 64 out of couple of hundreds. I guess I should be more clear about the joke part: I meant it from the business side. Crazy salaries, small arenas, no profit at all (excpet for Dynamo Roga i believe), etc.
So you expect the league to be perfect in 3 years? Come on dude, be serious. It's gonna take time to become huge. We should be happy that hockey is not monopolized by NHL anymore

ViD is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
  #68
slovakiasnextone
Registered User
 
slovakiasnextone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Finland will have a lot more KHL players in Sotchi than Vanouver. I'm guessing Russia, Czech and Slovakia will as well.
Only because we probably wonīt have enough NHLers by the time Sochi is here. And this year doesnīt change the fact that for a number of years teams heavily built on KHLers made us not even good enough for the QF. And even this year we didnīt make it to the SF thanks to the KHL and anyone who believes otherwise is lying to himself.

slovakiasnextone is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:45 AM
  #69
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
So you expect the league to be perfect in 3 years? Come on dude, be serious. It's gonna take time to become huge. We should be happy that hockey is not monopolized by NHL anymore
Yeah i dont get this either.

BalticWarrior is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:48 AM
  #70
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
And this year doesnīt change the fact that for a number of years teams heavily built on KHLers made us not even good enough for the QF. And even this year we didnīt make it to the SF thanks to the KHL and anyone who believes otherwise is lying to himself.
Amen, brother.

ozo is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
  #71
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Only because we probably wonīt have enough NHLers by the time Sochi is here. And this year doesnīt change the fact that for a number of years teams heavily built on KHLers made us not even good enough for the QF. And even this year we didnīt make it to the SF thanks to the KHL and anyone who believes otherwise is lying to himself.
I think not,it`s just that slovakias hockey generation is changing,once you get all the good prospects you`ll be as good as ever.

BalticWarrior is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:52 AM
  #72
Peter25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Once again, what exactly KHL has done for Latvian (or Belarussian, Kazakh) hockey? You all seem so sure about what are you talking about, but, please, give us something solid.
The KHL has given their NT player a competitive league to play in.

It is not KHL's job to develop Latvian, Kazakh and Belarussian juniors.

Peter25 is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
  #73
SthlmNYI
Registered User
 
SthlmNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Sweden
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
The KHL is indeed interesting, and good for former SSRs who have had great players but have experienced a steady decline since the fall of the USSR, countries like; Latvia, Kazakhstan, Belarus and Ukraine.
The hockey interest a KHL team (or any big league team) can spark locally and nationwide over time can for sure inspire youngsters to pursue their dreams to play hockey on a big stage.

I do see this hockey-train carry on further into continental Europe over time, I don't however see Swedish, Finnish or for that sake Swiss teams playing in the KHL anytime soon. Mainly because those leagues (and teams) are way to established and part of the hockey heritage of their respective county and country.


Last edited by SthlmNYI: 05-18-2012 at 11:02 AM.
SthlmNYI is online now  
Old
05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
  #74
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Few is a key word. There are also arenas like one in Podolsk. Plus, 10K arena = small arena.
For 2012/13 season
Dynamo Minsk (15500), CSKA (14500), Lev (14000), SKA (12300), Dinamo Riga (10300), Avangard (10300), Slovan (10000).

In the a 5 years.
Dynamo Moscow (15000 U/C), Lev (17500 I believe that they will move to o2 ) CSKA (20000 proposed), Tyumen (13600 proposed) Sochi (12000 U/C), Nizhni Novgorod (16000 proposed), Novokuznetsk (10000-12000 proposed), Spartak (will build their new arena or will move to megasport for 14000 or 20000 galactica), Astana (12000-15000 proposed), Avtomobilist (15000 proposed), Donetsk (15000 proposed), Chelyabinsk (15000)

That makes it plenty of arenas for more than 10 000 seats. And 10k isn't small, when the biggest arena is 20k.


Last edited by ult: 05-18-2012 at 11:14 AM.
ult is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 11:02 AM
  #75
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
I do see this hockey-train carry on further into continental Europe over time, I don't however see Swedish, Finnish or for that sake Swiss teams playing in the KHL anytime soon.
you will see swiss team after Sochi.

to troll guy: Many 15-20k arena are bulding now

EDIT: ult was faster than me

vorky is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.