HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Should routine scratches play just to get their name on the Cup?

View Poll Results: Game 4: Should routine scratches play just to get their name on the Cup?
Yes 5 23.81%
No 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Should routine scratches play just to get their name on the Cup?

The next game would be the best opportunity to insert new people into the line-up. We're up 3-0 and it seems Tippet has given up, blaming losing on "embellishment".

Should Drewiske go in, maybe giving one of our veteran D some rest? Or maybe dress 7 defensemen?

What about Westgarth? If you look at the ice time for our 4th line last night, a couple of those guys (Nolan & Clifford) only got 5 minutes & change. Would playing Westgarth for 5.5 minutes really be that terrible? The Yotes played stupid Bissonette last night and weren't hurt by it.

And then there's Gagne, who probably won't be ready by Sunday, but one never knows.

And if we're up 5-1 heading into the 3rd period, should Bernier play that final period, just to spare Quick the possibility of injury? (I think Bernier would still get his name on the Cup, BTW ....I'm just sayin'.)

All I'm saying is, it's the dream of most every hockey player to get their name on The Stanley Cup. That being the case, should Sutter consider this fact when putting together his game 4 roster, being up 3-0 in the series before the Final Series? There would be no better time than Sunday, seeing as how the Final series would be much, much riskier.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:47 AM
damacles1156

I am not even sure you are serious.

What makes you think Sutter even cares about something like this ?

You get nothing for winning three, NOTHING. Why the Hell would you insert people into the lineup that can let PHX back into the series.

Has any Hockey team on cup run EVER done this ? I would gather the answer is a big ole NO. Why would the Kings even freaking entertain that idea ....

Old
05-18-2012, 10:47 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I think Sutter just wants to win.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

This game is about winning. The team we ice is the best team we can put out there. You put your best team out in a game 4 WCF situation, or any playoff situation...period.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
They would have to play in the Stanley Cup finals to get their name on the cup. WCF doesn't count.

Gagne didn't play enough regular season games to get his name on the cup either, so he would have to dress for a finals game or get a waiver from the league to have his name added to the cup.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

What the hell man? Delete this **** now.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Perro

Depends on the player and what they contribute off the ice and their attitude.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
What the hell man? Delete this **** now.
LOL

Old
05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
They would have to play in the Stanley Cup finals to get their name on the cup. WCF doesn't count.
What?! You mean a single playoff game doesn't count? That's a messed up rule! Well, I guess forget the whole thing. Oh well....

BTW, the Yotes aren't coming back, regardless of what players we dress on Sunday.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:56 AM
damacles1156

I know this is about Gagne, I mean does anyone really care if Westgarth gets his name on that cup ?

The Kings can appeal to the league for Gagne.

Gagne has been a stand up guy, a good inmpact player in this league.

I have no doubt the NHL would allow Gagne's name to be put on that cup.

Their is no need to screw up the lineup to just get Gagne a Game.

This is straight from the Rule book : "The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances". That fits Gagne to a tee.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I know this is about Gagne, I mean does anyone really care if Westgarth gets his name on that cup ?

No, I wasn't primarily thinking of Gagne. Westgarth & Drewiske have been with the Kings longer than Gagne. They're more part of the team than Gagne is.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:04 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

This idea is as ridiculous as that thread in the SC playoffs forum that suggested Bernier get a start.

You don't get anything for three! they have to WIN a 4th game. This is not the time to be ****ing around with the lineup.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Kingler

Talk about underestimating your opponent...its not over until they shake hands

Old
05-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
This idea is as ridiculous as that thread in the SC playoffs forum that suggested Bernier get a start.

You don't get anything for three! they have to WIN a 4th game. This is not the time to be ****ing around with the lineup.

Worry not. We'll win. We played our worst game of the series last night and maybe even our worst game since Vancouver won game 4. We'll come back super strong on Sunday, regardless of our lineup.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Oops, misread poll. Ergo, there is a yes vote

Old
05-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Martyros

Can't the Kings CHOOSE to put their names on the cup?

Old
05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
The next game would be the best opportunity to insert new people into the line-up. We're up 3-0 and it seems Tippet has given up, blaming losing on "embellishment".
You obviously didnt actually listen to what tippet said.

that said, sure why not.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
You obviously didnt actually listen to what tippet said.

That's the gist of what he talked about. If your team just lost and you talk about embellishment for 2-3 minutes, you're pretty much blaming embellishment for losing.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:42 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

No. Besides, who do you scratch? I'd assume one of Richardson/Clifford for Westgarth, but who do you want to pull off the blueline for DD44? Maybe you use him as a forward, but talk about a downgrade taking out Richardson and Cliffy for Westgarh and Drewiske, who btw haven't played a game in what, four months?

I like your intent with this idea, but it's just not practical, not to mention a tad bit insulting to the players who have got you this far, only to be scratched so the Black Aces can get into a game.

And yes, Sydor is right, it'd have to be in the Stanley Cup finals.

The only reason I'd say yes then is if we were up 3-0 just so I could listen to Tortorella go on some sour puss rant about it, assuming we are unlucky enough to face that ******* from New York.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:47 AM
tantrum4*

"Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances."

So according to that, Gagne could still get his name on the Cup IF we were to make it to the finals and eventually win it.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:51 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Yeah, I hope Gagne gets his name on assuming we win it. He was injured, not a scratch like Westgarth/Drewiske, and he was only seven games short of qualifying outright. Savard got his name on last year IIRC, not sure how Gagne wouldn't this year.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:53 AM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

I understand the desire to get certain guys on the cup and it would make a nice story, but inserting guys for the sake of doing this is the definition of putting the individual ahead of the team. The Kings organization only cares about one name on the cup, and that is the team name at the top...

...if we get there.

Old
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
...not to mention a tad bit insulting to the players who have got you this far.....

But how far? As far back as 2008, when we were second worst in the league? Drewiske & Westgarth have been with us since those dark, dark days. What do they get out of their loyalty?

Old
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Pretty sure the kings or any other team would petition to get guys who have been there most or all the year as scrtactes/injuries(Gagne,Westy,Drewiske,Lokti).I think there's a limit to names so gotta pick and choose.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:16 PM
SLang

Backup goaltenders should get their name on the cup. That's just BS that Bernier sits back there in the wings with nothing to show for it. The guy is 100% as much a part as the team as Kopitar is.

Closed Thread