HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Gorton w/Jim Cerny

Old
05-18-2012, 09:18 AM
evilllempire*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Some points:

- A player like McI is sorely needed here; doubt he's going anywhere
- Can't see how they afford Parise and be able to re-sign all the kids
- Why would Schultz sign with a team with a stacked young D-corps?
- I'd be willing to deal Stepan, Erixon and a 1st for a big time forward

Not to pile on Stepan, he's a wonderful kid, but he's not physically able to succeed in playoff hockey; the kid is too weak and too slow. For all the guff Gaborik has gotten over the playoffs, where's the criticism of Stepan? Can't win a battle on the boards, can't win a faceoff, can't skate....can't do anything, really.
He makes a nifty pass once in a Bluemoon..... Haha

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:21 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
As far as moves to improve our offense there is nothing we can possibly do that will put us over the top. As far as that goes our objective is to close the gap with Pittsburgh as much as possible.

The reason is that Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin. Whatever we do they're going to have a better potential offense.

Which is why having a great defense and great goaltending is important. Not to get me wrong I'm all for making moves that will improve our offense but we need to keep our major components of our defense together because it's our strength and because there is no chance we're going to match Malkin-Crosby.
I don't think we have to match their offense. I just want to be able to win when we give up 3 goals or more. Look how much Pittsburgh shut down our offense? If we can slow them down, I want to be able to win 4-3.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I just think it would be a BIG mistake for this team to sit idle when their window is obviously opening to challenge for The Cup. They need more truculence on the 3rd line, they need to improve their PP. they need another legit top-6 forward and they need a legit 6th defenseman who can play 15 minutes a night.

They have holes to fill.

Maybe they see Erixon or McIlrath filling that 3rd pairing spot? At this point I doubt Sauer will be ready.

By 3rd line truculence I mean a player who can score 15 goals and add 15-20 assists and stir things up. A Chris Neil, Steve Ott-like player. Honestly, the player who I would love to add is Kyle Beach from Chicago if they have soured on him and feel they don't have room for him.

I would be hoping the Rangers would be looking around trying to find a legit top-6 forward from the numerous teams who would be looking to off-load and rebuild. I would look at teams like SJ who may be willing to move a Clowe or Marleau and go from there.

Just some ideas.
Would love to add Beach. Proposed it a while back and some Chicago fans were open to the idea of Dubinsky for Beach and their 1st. A deal like that would be ideal, IMO.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:35 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Would love to add Beach. Proposed it a while back and some Chicago fans were open to the idea of Dubinsky for Beach and their 1st. A deal like that would be ideal, IMO.
I would love that deal. I like Beach a lot. Downie/Ott-like player.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:36 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Rangers need a checking line center that can win faceoffs, and a veteran on defense.

Too ****ing easy.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Acquiring Nash would have made Gaborik a goner. The Rangers would have swapped him to free up the money and recouped the assets sent to Columbus. Then Gaborik clicked with Richards and Hagelin in March. They have been spotty in the playoffs. Nash doesn't have any body of work in the playoffs. Gaborik has scored 105 goals in his first 3 years as a Ranger. Shorter contract. The Rangers will have $7.5M to use at the end of his contract in 2 years. Nash has 6 more years.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
If erixon and McIlrath are ready then there is potential to move one of the current "D" out in the right deal. If they want to keep assets and try to sign Parise or somone of that ilk that is OK, but at some point they'll have to move some people out because of cap issues.
First of all, they cannot afford Parise. Not with what is being paid for Gabby, Henke & Richards. Signign him, just to begin to dismantle the team is short sighted.

Second of all, that is a rather big IF. Erixon is NOT ready. McIlrath is NOT ready for at least two more years. And, even if they are ready, that does not mean that they are ready to play top-4 minutes. Until they are, talk of trading Girardi, McD, MDZ or Stall is sheer folly.

For all of the talk of teams that have traded defensemen, what is overlooked is that these teams did not trade their top-pairing defensemen.
Quote:
I agree with you that the identity of the team should remian the same, but they are still one pure goal scorer away from being where they want to be IMO.
They can also get better because logic dictates that Stepan, Callahan, Anisimov, MDZ, MCD & Hagellin should also improve.
Quote:
Maybe they gamble that Kreider can be that guy and they stand pat this summer?
Not sure that you can count on him scoring more than 20-25 or so (it will be his rookie year), but sure, he will help.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:18 AM
SnowblindNYR

What boggles my mind is that during the dark years we complained that Sather (and Smith before him) was trading our youth. Now half of HF wants to trade our young promising players.

Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 05-18-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old
05-18-2012, 10:30 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
What gives you that idea? Come on that Martin St. Louis proposal is reasonable. Del Zotto, Miller, McIlrath, Thomas, 2nd for Marty St. Louis would probably get it done, if they are reluctant maybe Sather could include either Kreider or McD, maybe both. That would certainly pry him from Tampa. Then the top pick in 2013 is assured, maybe 14' and 15' as well. I think that is brilliant.

Glen do not read this.

Repeat Glen do not read this.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Stepan isnt going anywhere. He is struggling in the playoffs but I think you "experts" fail to remember he is just 22 years old. Do you guys even listen to way the rangers staff talk? The way Torts talks? This is only the beginning. Theyre not "there" yet. Torts says we have a ways to go. That doesnt include dealing the promising youth. Get your heads on straight

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:33 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
What boggles my mind is that during the dark years we complained that Sather (and Smith before him) ws trading our youth. Now half of HF wants to trade our young promising players.
That does make me want to scratch my head. Wondering how many were Ranger fans prior to lockout.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:58 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
What boggles my mind is that during the dark years we complained that Sather (and Smith before him) was trading our youth. Now half of HF wants to trade our young promising players.

Wow I actually agree with you.

I am flustered,now.

Glen please read this.

Repeat Glen please read this.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That does make me want to scratch my head. Wondering how many were Ranger fans prior to lockout.
Trade'em all. lol

Edit: The " lets trade them" mentality is pervasive in every single fanbase in every single sport. I just run with it and make it fun. I see an absolutely ridiculous proposal, make it more ridiculous. Sometimes people actually believe it.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:01 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
I would also say that we have not had the sheer number of good prospects as we do now.....especially on the Defensemen side of things.

Not saying we SHOULD trade them......but we should look into upgrading other areas of the team that need help (ie scoring, Power Play, Face-offs, etc). And with so many youngs assets on D.....we could definitely afford to move a couple of those pieces

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Stepan isnt going anywhere. He is struggling in the playoffs but I think you "experts" fail to remember he is just 22 years old. Do you guys even listen to way the rangers staff talk? The way Torts talks? This is only the beginning. Theyre not "there" yet. Torts says we have a ways to go. That doesnt include dealing the promising youth. Get your heads on straight
Stepan is not struggling because of a "slump". The problem is that every other player on the ice is both stronger and faster than he is, and that's not going to change anytime soon. I'm not suggesting we give him away, but if we can package him in a deal for a true first line player (no, not M. St. Louis) with size, I'm all for it. This team has a window to win the Cup. It's probably no more than 5 years. Is this team to wait around and hope Stepan somehow gets stronger and faster?

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Stepan is not struggling because of a "slump". The problem is that every other player on the ice is both stronger and faster than he is, and that's not going to change anytime soon. I'm not suggesting we give him away, but if we can package him in a deal for a true first line player (no, not M. St. Louis) with size, I'm all for it. This team has a window to win the Cup. It's probably no more than 5 years. Is this team to wait around and hope Stepan somehow gets stronger and faster?
"Wait around?" Stepan hasn't completely figured out how to elevate his game for the playoffs with any consistency yet, which is why you seem to think what you think. That's because he's young. For most players, it comes with experience and this year has been great experience for him.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:48 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Some points:

Not to pile on Stepan, he's a wonderful kid, but he's not physically able to succeed in playoff hockey; the kid is too weak and too slow. For all the guff Gaborik has gotten over the playoffs, where's the criticism of Stepan? Can't win a battle on the boards, can't win a faceoff, can't skate....can't do anything, really.

One goal in 16 (17, if you include the 3 o/t game) playoff games this year, isn't cutting it.
Throw in the fact that he did nothing in playoffs last year...

I wouldn't give up on him though.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
"Wait around?" Stepan hasn't completely figured out how to elevate his game for the playoffs with any consistency yet, which is why you seem to think what you think. That's because he's young. For most players, it comes with experience and this year has been great experience for him.
You're missing my point which is that Stepan is unable to elevate his game because of his physical shortcomings.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
One goal in 16 (17, if you include the 3 o/t game) playoff games this year, isn't cutting it.

He is NOT a goal scorer. He has 8 points in 16 games. Every series and game has been very low scoring. He is 22. Yeah, I would say the main problem is that this team relies on him to score in order to win games.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:56 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
As Gorton said, not many FAs to resign so the summer isn't going to be too busy. CBA will determine whether they're in the Parise sweepstakes or out. Beating NJD in this series would help them financially as NJD need playoff money to cover for financial losses. As well as helping them promote their ability to be a cup contender, though there's already little doubt about that.

Although the summer of 13 is going to be a crucial one, with Stepan, Hagelin, Mcdonagh, Sauer and AA all coming due. Drury's buyout comes off the books that year and depending on how the CBA is structured, the cap will be rising that year as well. I could see one of those 3 forwards being moved and Sauer is a relative unknown do to his health. I can't see him making much more than his brother because they both have the same flaw and play similar styles.

Eventually, the Rangers are going to have to trade someone and who knows when that's going to be. We've never seen a team of home grown talent and have a Ranger locker room with such comradery. Who's the first to go, Dubinsky? Girardi? Gaborik? This year? Next? Who knows, for sure the constant infusion of young players year after year will start pushing Vets out.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:58 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He is NOT a goal scorer. He has 8 points in 16 games. Every series and game has been very low scoring. He is 22. Yeah, I would say the main problem is that this team relies on him to score in order to win games.
I know he's not a goal scorer. At the same time, he did score 20 goals last year. So he clearly CAN put the puck in the net.
He's not exactly Mitchell.

No matter how you slice it and dice it, ONE goal in 16 playoff games (and I'm being nice not to include last year's performance) from your 2nd line C, is pretty bad.

I agree with Reijo R on this, a lot of it is because he lacks in the physical department.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:59 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

He struggled to score all year. Like 90% of his goals are garbage goals. Do you expect him to score in the playoffs on a team that's struggling to score as a whole? It's not surprising that he's not scoring.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
You're missing my point which is that Stepan is unable to elevate his game because of his physical shortcomings.
That's actually flat out untrue.

I really have to wonder what are the expectations for these kids? 21 years old. Had 51 points in the regular season. He is tied for 8th in the entire playoffs with 7 assists.

Tied for 88th in the league in points. That makes him a top-3 forward on most NHL teams. At 21.

He obviously can not raise his game to another level and he is done developing at 21. Trade him!!

Let's not forget that he took a vicious knee-on-knee from Orpik at the end of the season and was obviously playing hurt to begin the playoffs.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Personally, I'd like to trade Gaborik for Nash and sign Ryan Suter

Hagelin Richards Nash
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Dubinsky Anisimov Zuccarello/Thomas/Miller
Rupp Boyle Prust

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi
Del Zotto Stralman
Sauer?
Erixon

But perhaps the best move for the team this offseason would be to sign Ryan Suter to a retirement deal which would make Del Zotto expendable in a deal for Ryan or Nash or Iginla or St. Louis. Without DZ, our top 4 would be Staal, Suter, McDonagh, Girardi. That's absurdly good. And then Erixon, Stralman, Sauer, Eminger, Bickel as potential bottom pair defensemen.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Personally, I'd like to trade Gaborik for Nash and sign Ryan Suter

Hagelin Richards Nash
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Dubinsky Anisimov Zuccarello/Thomas/Miller
Rupp Boyle Prust

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi
Del Zotto Stralman
Sauer?
Erixon

But perhaps the best move for the team this offseason would be to sign Ryan Suter to a retirement deal which would make Del Zotto expendable in a deal for Ryan or Nash or Iginla or St. Louis. Without DZ, our top 4 would be Staal, Suter, McDonagh, Girardi. That's absurdly good. And then Erixon, Stralman, Sauer, Eminger, Bickel as potential bottom pair defensemen.
*sigh*

Ryan Suter is a left D. Our D group does not need any improvement on that side of the ice.

And no, he can't "just switch"

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote