HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Physicality in front of our own net!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2006, 03:38 PM
  #51
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue

Here is where we go awry. In order to be "physical", one need not be an intimdator, a la Gauthier. Take Shanny. Now I know that has dropped the gloves on occasion, but he is not an intimidator. He is far from soft however.

Again, one can be physical and play smart positionally. Playing sound body positioning has nothing to do with physicality. A physical defenseman can play a sound positioning game, a smart game and not be an "intimadator".

To me, Malik is not an "ideal" defenseman. But then I see Malik as a glorified 3rd pairing d-man. However, you do not need to physically remove people in to prevent people from screening your goalie and deflecting pucks on net. However, you cannot be contact-averse. If you want proper body positioning, you cannot be contact-averse. Which is what the Rangers defense, as a whole, was against the Flyers. And, barring Henke standing on his head, if you play in such a way, it will result in a loss like the other night, each and every time.
Dont disagree with this. I want them to be more physical of course. I think they can handle doing what you typed in bold here. Asking for more than what you typed is going to just dissapoint everyone else.

We agreed.... someone immortalize this post

MisterUnspoken is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 08:20 AM
  #52
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
One need not be a "physical defenseman" to simply position your body between the player and the oncoming puck. What happened against the Flyers had nothing to do with "physicality" and everything to do with contact-avoidance.
Well that's not what this whole thread has been about. People want to see Malik and Roszival beating the crap out of whoever is in front, pushing them out of the front of the net etc. Your talking about blocking the shot, which I agree you don't have to be physical to do. You also don't have to be physical to tie up a stick. I agree Malik/Roszival could have done either of these things. But those who expect them to battle with a forward in front and physically push him out of the way are expecting something they aren't going to do and haven't done all season.

nyr7andcounting is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 08:33 AM
  #53
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
Well that's not what this whole thread has been about. People want to see Malik and Roszival beating the crap out of whoever is in front, pushing them out of the front of the net etc.
I disagree. IMO, that is the excuse that people who always want to defend Rozsival & Malik use. Whenever anyone starts to critiicze those two (and Poti), it is always responded to in such a manner.
The simple fact is that they can prevent the goalie from being screened and clear the crease of rebounds without being the equivalent of Derian Hatcher. However, they cannot accomplish any of those tasks if the play a contact-averse game.

True Blue is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 09:59 AM
  #54
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
One need not be a "physical defenseman" to simply position your body between the player and the oncoming puck. What happened against the Flyers had nothing to do with "physicality" and everything to do with contact-avoidance.
Physicality doesn't require bone-jarring hits or devastating a player infront of the net. What physicality does require, however, is presence and intelligence - like I've been saying for so long now. Our guys aren't big bruisers but it doesn't mean that they can't eliminate a man infront of the net through force - they just have to focus their effort in a smart way.

Generally, the new tactic in the NHL for defenseman has been to stand infront of the foward at the net, and try to squeeze him out of the play while also being in a position to be the first man on the puck. Believe me, that DOES take a huge degree of physicality (and a big ***...) - it's just not your typical Zdeno Chara/Chris Pronger cross-check that has a player's tailbone feeling like it was just separated from his lower half.

The playoffs are only going to be worse, because like it or not they're going to let the battles go a little bit more. The jockeying for position infront of the net is going to become intense and our defense are going to have to determine whether they want to lock-up on the inside of that crease man and push him out (and away), or whether they want to play him high, and drive him behind (and out through the backdoor).

We even saw it last night with the penalties late in the game. Had this been October the Rangers would have been down two men in OT, yet the refs let it go.

If you ask me, that's only a good thing for the playoffs. Bout time we brought back some old school ****.

BigE is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 10:39 AM
  #55
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Agree 100%...

the hockey's starting to get better. There's no real clutching and grabbing problem, and the refs are letting them play. The Rangers will have to adapt, and they can.

Fletch is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 12:18 PM
  #56
peacepipe
Registered User
 
peacepipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia,PA
Posts: 867
vCash: 500
bottom line is you cant and wont go anywhere in the playoffs if you cant play a physical game of hockey because idk if ranger fans know this but the hitting is relentless in the playoffs and other teams will wear your guys down and make them look dumb if they dont at least put up a fight

peacepipe is offline  
Old
03-25-2006, 03:19 PM
  #57
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I disagree. IMO, that is the excuse that people who always want to defend Rozsival & Malik use. Whenever anyone starts to critiicze those two (and Poti), it is always responded to in such a manner.
The simple fact is that they can prevent the goalie from being screened and clear the crease of rebounds without being the equivalent of Derian Hatcher. However, they cannot accomplish any of those tasks if the play a contact-averse game.
What excuse?

We are talking about Knuble and Handzus here. Knuble is one of the best power forwards in the game and to be honest you do almost have to be Derian Hatcher in order to move him from the front of the net. Handzus is less offensive but may be even stronger. A guy like Roszival can try to check their stick, take a penalty, or just try to block the shot. But he's not strong enough or physical enough to get Knuble away from the net, especially when the Flyers have a PP and Knuble's only job is to be in fron of the net.

nyr7andcounting is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.