HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What gear will get you "chirped" at? (Besides a tinted visor)

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
steev182

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well that salesman just needs to be slapped.

My first pair of skates as an adult were I think the same size (maybe slightly smaller?) than my shoes, but I paid $50 for them at a big box store and they lasted three months.
Hey! This sounds familiar! Decent skates that I didn't buy from Target (despite having Alexander Ovechkin on the box) are my next hockey purchase! I'm thinking Reebok 6Ks look good, but really will go to a shop and try on as many as I can and find the ones that stop my ankles moving side to side the most.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you haven't already, hit up AIR's skate buying guide up top, it's awesome!

Also the knee hockey set with Ovi on it from Target made my kid one hell of a sniper, and he's only 3. So I think it's the right start

Old
05-17-2012, 04:07 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Yeah, around here its mostly "beaking" instead of "chirping", though the terms are used interchangeably.

Its kind of interesting how slang changes over time within a subculture.

Anyways, I've never chirped anyone for what they are wearing. I just don't care. If you're rocking the yellow laces, tongues flapping, with a tinted, mirrored visor and a number 1 on your back but can only turn one direction, whatever. Its your money, if you wanna blow it on ridiculous things, go nuts.
yeah, I'm with you. But then again maybe it's bc I'm the guy with expensive skates and red laces who can't skate a lick

(in fairness the skates were a 20th anniversary gift from my wife who got sick of me drooling over them every time I went to our local hockey store but not buying them. But man they do make a difference, esp in comfort).

Old
05-17-2012, 04:29 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
When I played juniors, we would target people that had the new brand new sticks before they actually came out. Like if someone had the new Mako and it wasn't out to the public, we'd slash/hack/and try to break it at any cost.

As for equipment - nothing really bothered us as everyone's helmets in the league had to be similar. I'd say, when being younger, the crazy color helmets would be something to attack and chirp at.

That was the immaturity level of a 16-18 year old right there.

Old
05-17-2012, 04:31 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
When I played juniors, we would target people that had the new brand new sticks before they actually came out. Like if someone had the new Mako and it wasn't out to the public, we'd slash/hack/and try to break it at any cost.

As for equipment - nothing really bothered us as everyone's helmets in the league had to be similar. I'd say, when being younger, the crazy color helmets would be something to attack and chirp at.

These CCM Tacks X-ray helmets were the worst. My cousin had a blue one and it was just hideous.

Old
05-17-2012, 04:36 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Yeah.. that is something special right there.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:

That's hilarious

Old
05-17-2012, 09:10 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
These CCM Tacks X-ray helmets were the worst. My cousin had a blue one and it was just hideous.

It looks like a giant "jolly rancher" with straps! That's funny!

Old
05-17-2012, 10:10 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Haha, I actually play for a sponsored team by one of the most well known hockey shops. I like to look at gear and decide whether or not I need to upgrade but I've been playing for almost 20 years and I know what I like and don't like. And I came from a time where there was no internet, no hockey shops so when I needed new equipment there was only a tiny little store where I played hockey at. My world at one time was strictly Koho Jagr stuff because that's all that was available. I'm assuming it's different here in SoCal because the sport is still not that popular but I just saw a guy play for a friends team who was new and was sold skates the same size as his shoes. It looked like his ankles would break at any time so I told my friend to return the skates and demand a refund. So stuff like that still happens. If you work at a store and a newbie comes in with $800 do you steer him clear towards the $150 skate? There are still plenty of rec league players who are currently using equipment they either don't need or wasn't designed for them.
Oh jeez, what a mess for your buddy lol.

So a newbie comes in with $800? You better be damn sure I'd convince him to spend $50 more to get the top end APXs. Why? 'Cause damn, if Ovie wears them, then SURELY any newbie would be justified to have them as well. They're called jets for a reason.

***It's a joke fellas in case you didn't know.

Last edited by AIREAYE: 05-18-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old
05-18-2012, 09:15 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:

I had somebody chirp me for using a Stealth RS in our D league. Dude took a few shots at my stick during the first period until I finally gave him a shove as we were along the boards. Next faceoff, he looks at me and says "You really need a $200 stick for D league?" Told him "No, but it was a hell of a deal for $80."

Not much was said after that.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:23 AM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
I had somebody chirp me for using a Stealth RS in our D league. Dude took a few shots at my stick during the first period until I finally gave him a shove as we were along the boards. Next faceoff, he looks at me and says "You really need a $200 stick for D league?" Told him "No, but it was a hell of a deal for $80."

Did you really get an RS for $80? How?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
Did you really get an RS for $80? How?
game used Richard Park from Pensgear. Was selling for $125, end of the season sale took 30% off.

OK, it was a little more than 80, but I wasn't about to drop an exact price on him. Round numbers is where it's at.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:44 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post

That's such a joke. If someone wants to spend $250 even for a stick, who cares. That's an awesome stick. I used $150 sticks to play dek hockey when a buddy asked me to play on his team just because i'm used to the stick in general. I'm surprised someone chirped at you.

That's reason I try to stay away from adult leagues. I love getting on the ice, but there is so much heart/soul put into a real battle and it's hard when that's out of the game. Hockey doesn't intrigue me for fancy moves. I love blocking a shot, finishing a hit, and battling in front of the net. That's the beauty of the game.

Side note: One thing that I would chirp at is if someone has a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey on in an adult league. It was always a huge no-no to wear real jerseys for pick up games, practice, etc. Also - don't wear the socks, either. Get yourself a plain black or grey pair of reebok practice socks and everything will be okay.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:57 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
That's such a joke. If someone wants to spend $250 even for a stick, who cares. That's an awesome stick. I used $150 sticks to play dek hockey when a buddy asked me to play on his team just because i'm used to the stick in general. I'm surprised someone chirped at you.

That's reason I try to stay away from adult leagues. I love getting on the ice, but there is so much heart/soul put into a real battle and it's hard when that's out of the game. Hockey doesn't intrigue me for fancy moves. I love blocking a shot, finishing a hit, and battling in front of the net. That's the beauty of the game.

Side note: One thing that I would chirp at is if someone has a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey on in an adult league. It was always a huge no-no to wear real jerseys for pick up games, practice, etc. Also - don't wear the socks, either. Get yourself a plain black or grey pair of reebok practice socks and everything will be okay.
That's pretty funny...hypocritical, but at least you're honest about it lol

We have a guy in full out matching Tampa Bay gear, complete CCM set head to toe and top end everything. He can't skate, takes 10 min shifts and cherry picks like you won't believe. We call him Stamkos

Old
05-18-2012, 01:05 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post

We have a guy in full out matching Tampa Bay gear, complete CCM set head to toe and top end everything. He can't skate, takes 10 min shifts and cherry picks like you won't believe. We call him Stamkos
Oh dear God! So much wrong with that!

Am I the only pick up guy who plays 45 second shifts?

Old
05-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

We have one of those in Pens gear that I like to call Crosby. Nice guy though.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

My first pick up games, I did 60 seconds, they looked at me funny, and then I sat on the bench for 15 minutes. Everyone takes a 5 minute shift and the entire time on the bench yelling at the guys on the ice to come off

Old
05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
We have one of those in Pens gear that I like to call Crosby. Nice guy though.
When I played in Daytona we had one in Flyers gear. He even wore his custom authentic Flyers jersey (with a C and his name) instead of our team jersey. He was a retired doctor with stupid amounts of money, though, so I guess you gotta spend it on something!

Old
05-18-2012, 02:38 PM
izzy3

Quote:

Pickup? I was the only guy in our first summer league game to take 45-60s shifts. No one understood what the F I was doing...

I do not really care about guys running around in full NHL uniforms though, most of us are fans too, I see no problem showing love to your fav player. And since they can't rock that stuff in real games, they go for pickup.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:40 PM
steev182

He was playing for a team but wore a completely different jersey?

The only thing that has to match and he doesn't bother with it. That seems like a crappy move there.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pick up, not league.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev182 View Post
He was playing for a team but wore a completely different jersey?

The only thing that has to match and he doesn't bother with it. That seems like a crappy move there.
They didn't really care too much if you wore the team jersey, since the team jersey was a cheapo screenprinted practice jersey, and ours was black. So he wore his black Flyers jersey. It was just weird because who wears an authentic jersey for a mens league game?

Old
05-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay that is a pretty ******* thing to do. Wear the friggin team jersey.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:11 PM
steev182

That kind of makes me feel like you don't care about the team if you're not wearing the jersey they provided you with...

Light vs dark, I guess whatever you want to wear is fine.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:23 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:

aha why CCM?

Closed Thread