HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Returning to playing after having stroke

Old
05-18-2012, 01:09 PM
MD Moose

vCash: 500
Returning to playing after having stroke

I recently had a minor stroke with the liklihood of a full recovery (currently have tingling in right arm and leg, but the feeling is coming back). I am now faced with the decision of hanging up the skates or keep playing (I'm age 46). So I was curious if there was anyone out there who has returned to playing after having a stroke, and if so, what if any issues were there playing afterward?

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:19 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm not a doctor, but hockey is one that really keeps your heart rate up. If that's going to put you more into a risk, please don't even try it. Life >>>> anything.

There are other things you can do to still be around the game. Maybe try to coach or be part of an organization. There are sometimes great charitable organizations that could need help on the ice w/ a less stressful situation.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:23 PM
MD Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm not a doctor, but hockey is one that really keeps your heart rate up. If that's going to put you more into a risk, please don't even try it. Life >>>> anything.

There are other things you can do to still be around the game. Maybe try to coach or be part of an organization. There are sometimes great charitable organizations that could need help on the ice w/ a less stressful situation.
Heart rate wouldn't be the issue. The only real risk would be if you incur traumatic head injury.

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Wooty

I played with a guy who had a stroke and had a mostly paralyzed arm. He played with one hand and just swung the stick at the puck and chased it when he needed to. Played good defense because he skated so hard.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Doesn't need to be said, but just follow your doctor's advice to a T. If he says take it easy, take it easy.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:38 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Moose View Post
I recently had a minor stroke with the liklihood of a full recovery (currently have tingling in right arm and leg, but the feeling is coming back). I am now faced with the decision of hanging up the skates or keep playing (I'm age 46). So I was curious if there was anyone out there who has returned to playing after having a stroke, and if so, what if any issues were there playing afterward?
No experience to relate but good luck man, hope it all works out

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Doesn't need to be said, but just follow your doctor's advice to a T. If he says take it easy, take it easy.
This. Our opinion means **** compared to your doctor. Listen to exactly what he thinks, and make sure he is aware of exactly what you would be doing on the ice (maybe he isn't a hockey fan)

B2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote