HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A way to counteract the shot-blocking - allow picks

Old
05-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Korolyuk15

vCash: 500
this is just getting ridiculous...can't people just enjoy the game!

Shot blocking should be admired...I doubt half the people on here want to lie down in front of an NHL calibre slap shot, even with the equipment provided

It is just a classic case of skill versus heart...skill players are good enough to avoid shot blockers and shot blockers have enough heart to try to make up for their lack of skill by laying their body on the line...

just let the game play itself out...seems plenty exciting to me...

people just want to be able to pinpoint one thing and fixate on it as what is "wrong"....ridiculous

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:21 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Fake shots, players freeze/go down. Eventually they won't bite, then you rip the puck by them.
Kopitar did this to a Phoenix defender the other game and scored.

Also happened to Doughty when he stiffened up to block a shot and it was just a fake.

That's how you get around blocked shots. You get inside and you fake, etc.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
We talk about goalie pads being too big...where is the talk of the player's equipment being too protective and allows them to fearlessly throw themselves in front of shots? The talk for a while was shoulder pads are too hard and can injuries. I'm not saying have them wear no padding but the extra armor only emboldens them to get in front of shots. Helmets should be the most protective piece of equipment but the extra padding on players has to play in to the fearless nature of shot blockers.
The shot that you intentionally block hurts just as much as the shots that happen to hit you. Less equipment will make both hurt more.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:34 AM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
this is just getting ridiculous...can't people just enjoy the game!

Shot blocking should be admired...I doubt half the people on here want to lie down in front of an NHL calibre slap shot, even with the equipment provided

It is just a classic case of skill versus heart...skill players are good enough to avoid shot blockers and shot blockers have enough heart to try to make up for their lack of skill by laying their body on the line...

just let the game play itself out...seems plenty exciting to me...

people just want to be able to pinpoint one thing and fixate on it as what is "wrong"....ridiculous

Does the NHL need to look for ways to increase offense?

If the answer is yes, then shot blocking may become a target, and an easy one as well.

Do you, as a fan, get out of your seat for a scoring opportunity or a shotblock?

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Does the NHL need to look for ways to increase offense?

If the answer is yes, then shot blocking may become a target, and an easy one as well.

Do you, as a fan, get out of your seat for a scoring opportunity or a shotblock?
Firstly, in my own humble opinion NO, they don't need to look for ways to increase offence...

A 3-2 game with scoring chances, great goaltending and defence for me is much better than a 6-7 romp a la phi-pittsburgh...

now, this is just my opinion, and perhaps based on the American TV market, may not be financially the best thing to pursue, because people there just want a different product than hockey is at its core

I as a fan want to actually stand all game, sing chants, beat drums and enjoy the game...again, this isn't really what happens in NHL arenas sadly

A good save, a good zone entrance, a big check, a big shot block are all things that can bring me to my feet easily in an NHL arena

But, I don't pay for season tickets for an NHL team, so perhaps your points have merits, I just personally don't agree

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:42 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

shot blocking is a part of the game...now bc the rangers are having a good run, its an issue. its silly...fake a shot and watch one of them slide by like Kovy did. There are ways to counteract the shot blocking and the Devils did a much better job in game 2

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:51 AM
BubbaBoot

I have no problems with shot blocking...and everyone is all up in arms about going down to the ice in doing so, like it was something new. Gary Doak used to block them with his face fercrissakes.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

NHL players arent talented enough to pass the puck back and forth fast enough to open up one-timing shooting lanes. And because of that we are supposed to make the game weaker so they seem more talented?

They arent talented enough to get their shots through, thats why they get blocked. The entire NHL talent level is pretty much lame, and the 10% minority of supremely gifted players dont work the points.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

If there's gonna be picks why don't we just play basketball?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:29 PM
MoreGore

What does the future of hockey hold? Will we start seeing 'teams collapse around the goaltender' even more and more.

Things that work tend to get copied, so it is entirely possible that shotblocking becomes even more common than it already is.

Looking at methods to decrease the 'collapse' might be wise. Personally I find it really ugly.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:37 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
All you have to do is start winding up and letting them fly into guy's faces. they'll rethink dropping down for a shotblock real quick.
This is kind of what I want to see happen. Nothing will stop the Rangers and whoever else from doing it all the time faster than seeing a few guys out for a while because of it.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:41 PM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
We talk about goalie pads being too big...where is the talk of the player's equipment being too protective and allows them to fearlessly throw themselves in front of shots? The talk for a while was shoulder pads are too hard and can injuries. I'm not saying have them wear no padding but the extra armor only emboldens them to get in front of shots. Helmets should be the most protective piece of equipment but the extra padding on players has to play in to the fearless nature of shot blockers.
yes

this kinda garbage should've never been allowed

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:42 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
Firstly, in my own humble opinion NO, they don't need to look for ways to increase offence...

A 3-2 game with scoring chances, great goaltending and defence for me is much better than a 6-7 romp a la phi-pittsburgh...

now, this is just my opinion, and perhaps based on the American TV market, may not be financially the best thing to pursue, because people there just want a different product than hockey is at its core

I as a fan want to actually stand all game, sing chants, beat drums and enjoy the game...again, this isn't really what happens in NHL arenas sadly

A good save, a good zone entrance, a big check, a big shot block are all things that can bring me to my feet easily in an NHL arena

But, I don't pay for season tickets for an NHL team, so perhaps your points have merits, I just personally don't agree
Thank god!

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

It looks like its headed that way. I have never seen as many non-called interference/pick penalties as this regular season.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:52 PM
useless

bigger ice surface solves everything

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Onion Boy

It's interesting to hear the Kovalchuk goal brought up as a shot-blocking evasion move in this thread because it was a missed pick by Elias that created the goal!

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
backs4mvp

Picks are allowed, but you can't purposely skate into an opposing players lane to obstruct them.

You can assume a player will start skating to a certain point on the ice, and start skating there before they do, but that's pretty much taking yourself out of the play, and on most plays it's pointless.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:55 PM
JS19

Why are we even arguing about shotblocking...? they're not the be-all end-all and they don't guarantee a Stanley Cup for any team that uses it...

How the hell are you going to efficiently defend if you take away that weapon for defenses?

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

I love how people have their panties so twisted about shot blocking that now the solution is "intentionally aim for players' faces, that'll stop them!"

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:03 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 779
I think shot-blocking adds a tremendous amount of intensity to the game with players laying it all on the line. I do not want to see it decreased in any way. If the intent is just to increase offense (not necessary IMO) without giving a dozen powerplays a game (necessary IMO), the simplest solution would be to reduce the size of goalie padding. The PA might cry safety but Brodeur seems to be just fine. As far as I know, he's the only goalie in the league not using gigantic equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
no way. this would never work. i also think there would be healt reason and picks would progress to get more severe and there would be certain plays where someone would get blindsided by a pick andg et severely concussed
Agreed. If picks were legal, we'd see them escalate from the subtle forms seen now during cycle-play and net-front traffic to full-on blindside hits. Players with the puck expect to be hit; Players without the puck don't. You can't go against the instincts of professional athletes like that and allow greater amounts of unanticipated contact in to the game without expecting injuries to increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If there's gonna be picks why don't we just play basketball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
bigger ice surface solves everything
No thanks.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:51 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I think shot-blocking adds a tremendous amount of intensity to the game with players laying it all on the line. I do not want to see it decreased in any way. If the intent is just to increase offense (not necessary IMO) without giving a dozen powerplays a game (necessary IMO), the simplest solution would be to reduce the size of goalie padding. The PA might cry safety but Brodeur seems to be just fine. As far as I know, he's the only goalie in the league not using gigantic equipment.

Agreed. If picks were legal, we'd see them escalate from the subtle forms seen now during cycle-play and net-front traffic to full-on blindside hits. Players with the puck expect to be hit; Players without the puck don't. You can't go against the instincts of professional athletes like that and allow greater amounts of unanticipated contact in to the game without expecting injuries to increase.

No thanks.
People that claim that goaltending equipment is too big and must be reduced to increase scoring are misguided and unsure of what the root of the problem is.

Even with reduced padding, tenders would still be dominant, then it'll become a slipper slope of smaller and smaller goaltender pads.

Scoring has gone down since the crackdown on goaltender's equipment already, it's not the goaltenders equipment allowing for so little offensive chances, it's more focus upon the defensive end of the game and the coaching that is involved with it.

If you want to allow more chances, the ice surface needs to be more wide open to allow those chances. Really, the only viable solution is too increase the ice surface.

Of course, not to international size, but a nice median in between would be suffice.

Last edited by CoopALoop: 05-18-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling iz tuff
CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:04 PM
CrazyJ

vCash: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
NHL players arent talented enough to pass the puck back and forth fast enough to open up one-timing shooting lanes. And because of that we are supposed to make the game weaker so they seem more talented?

They arent talented enough to get their shots through, thats why they get blocked. The entire NHL talent level is pretty much lame, and the 10% minority of supremely gifted players dont work the points.

I think it is more about defence being easier to coach, and to play. These players are the best hockey players in the world, but more of them are better at defence than offence. (my interpretation at least). The goalies are better than they have ever been, and the game is more coached than ever.

How many times are players able to pass the puck back and forth quickly when the defence are on them like white on rice. There is no room for those plays to happen often. Players are faster, stronger, more skilled, better equipped and better coached than they have ever been.

Personally, I would like to see the nets larger. Not much, just about a 1/4" larger on either side. That would make a lot of the post shots become goals and would make the games more exciting. A tiny bit larger net will open up more shooting angles and give the skill players more options to play offence.

CrazyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Xelstyle

No, just no.

Shoot through them. There's a reason why Chara and Weber are the type of defensemen people want the most.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:17 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 837
I had no idea that there was a single person that didn't like shot-blocking.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Would work marginally well until some one get blindsided with a 'pick.' Players move too fast for this to be safe.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote