HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Gorton w/Jim Cerny

Old
05-18-2012, 01:06 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Stepan is not struggling because of a "slump". The problem is that every other player on the ice is both stronger and faster than he is, and that's not going to change anytime soon. I'm not suggesting we give him away, but if we can package him in a deal for a true first line player (no, not M. St. Louis) with size, I'm all for it. This team has a window to win the Cup. It's probably no more than 5 years. Is this team to wait around and hope Stepan somehow gets stronger and faster?
Yes he has slowed down and fatigue will do that to you. Count the number of games and tournaments he's played in since drafted. WJC, College Finals, Traverse city, WC, NHL seasons, etc. To repeat myself, Jr slumps happen for a reason and fatigue from the insanity pushing to reach the NHL is one of them. As a 3rd year pro, you just need to focus on playing hockey and conditioning and life becomes a lot more focused, hence the common rebounding 3rd year.

Very few players enter the league as a center and even less excel at the games nuances like faceoffs. From Crosby to Skinner to Burmistrov, highly skilled centers play the wing first then move back to center, then become excellent centers. Last year Stepan was moved back and fourth from wing to center. His play making ability makes him ideal for the position. Skating and faceoffs can always get better for a 21 year old but hockey IQ and on ice vision, typically doesn't and that's what Stepan's got!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
That's actually flat out untrue.

I really have to wonder what are the expectations for these kids? 21 years old. Had 51 points in the regular season. He is tied for 8th in the entire playoffs with 7 assists.

Tied for 88th in the league in points. That makes him a top-3 forward on most NHL teams. At 21.

He obviously can not raise his game to another level and he is done developing at 21. Trade him!!

Let's not forget that he took a vicious knee-on-knee from Orpik at the end of the season and was obviously playing hurt to begin the playoffs.

Or he was one of the better players in all of the elimination games.

Great post, thank you!

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Orr Nightmare

I would replace Mitchell and Feds with Konokpa/Ryan Carter and Taylor Pyatt

On defense...I would bring in two of the following, Shane O'brien or Milan Jurinca or Francis Bouillon for a year ...Stralman is going to sign for more money then he will deserve else where. Resign Bickel.

Would explore Garrison but I am sure he will get paid a lot from someone. Carkner could be brought in as a 6th -7th guy.

Sauer is a huge question mark.

Not sure Erixon or McIlrath will be ready. But I love reading the nonsense that the Rangers are going to trade McIlrath...every thing they do, they do to prepare this kid but the fools on this site continue to add him to their retarded proposals.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:19 PM
SnowblindNYR

Why do so many people want to trade Gaborik for Nash? Gaborik at this point is probably better in the regular season and we don't know about Nash in the playoffs. WTF?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Reijo R

Quote:
That's actually flat out untrue.

I really have to wonder what are the expectations for these kids? 21 years old. Had 51 points in the regular season. He is tied for 8th in the entire playoffs with 7 assists.

Tied for 88th in the league in points. That makes him a top-3 forward on most NHL teams. At 21.

He obviously can not raise his game to another level and he is done developing at 21. Trade him!!

Let's not forget that he took a vicious knee-on-knee from Orpik at the end of the season and was obviously playing hurt to begin the playoffs.
Honestly, I don't care what he did in the regular season. As you can see, when you get to the postseason, it's a whole 'nother sport, practically. Every team plays harder, blocks more shots and there is less free ice space. There are less odd-man rushes, as well. You have to be able to scratch and claw just to score a goal. It helps if you're gritty enough to score garbage goals like Clarkson, or fly past everyone down the ice and blast slappers like Kreider. When you can't do either, well.....you have 1 goal in 16 games.

Understand I hate writing this because I really like Stepan as a hockey player and a person. But I don't think he can succeed in PLAYOFF hockey. That said, I sure hope he nets the GWG tomorrow. He deserves it.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

On defense...I would bring in two of the following, Shane O'brien or Milan Jurinca or Francis Bouillon for a year ...Stralman is going to sign for more money then he will deserve else where. Resign Bickel.

Would explore Garrison but I am sure he will get paid a lot from someone. Carkner could be brought in as a 6th -7th guy.

Not sure Erixon or McIlrath will be ready. But I love reading the nonsense that the Rangers are going to trade McIlrath...every thing they do, they do to prepare this kid but the fools on this site continue to add him to their retarded proposals.
Garrison, O'Brien, Boullion are all lefties. Jurcina, on the other hand, is an interesting idea. Equivalent amount of blocked shots based on ice time to fit right into the team. Had the least number of giveaways among the Isles top-6 and played the 4th most minutes. Led Isles D in hits. Might be a good addition to play 2nd or 3rd pair minutes on the right side at times.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Garrison, O'Brien, Boullion are all lefties. Jurcina, on the other hand, is an interesting idea. Equivalent amount of blocked shots based on ice time to fit right into the team. Had the least number of giveaways among the Isles top-6 and played the 4th most minutes. Led Isles D in hits. Might be a good addition to play 2nd or 3rd pair minutes on the right side at times.
didn't realilze all three are lefties....Jurcina would be a perfect 3rd pair guy for us....can play 12-16 minutes a night and take some pressure of the top 4.

I think Konopka would be a good 4th line guy who can win face offs for us and Pyatt could add size and offense to our 3rd line.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Just my opinion, this team needs a few things, but mainly

- Bottom 6 center who can win faceoffs
- Top 6 Left Winger.
- Bottom pairing defenseman. I like Bickel, I know he's trying hard, but he's a liability out there.
- Bottom 6 depth in general. I feel like we don't have a third line.

I don't know why some people are so giddy about the idea of trading Stepan or Michael Del Zotto. If we traded those 2, I guarantee, in 5 years we'll see threads moaning and groaning about how we didn't keep them. Its that type of stuff that lead this team into the dark ages.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:46 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Honestly, I don't care what he did in the regular season. As you can see, when you get to the postseason, it's a whole 'nother sport, practically. Every team plays harder, blocks more shots and there is less free ice space. There are less odd-man rushes, as well. You have to be able to scratch and claw just to score a goal. It helps if you're gritty enough to score garbage goals like Clarkson, or fly past everyone down the ice and blast slappers like Kreider. When you can't do either, well.....you have 1 goal in 16 games.

Understand I hate writing this because I really like Stepan as a hockey player and a person. But I don't think he can succeed in PLAYOFF hockey. That said, I sure hope he nets the GWG tomorrow. He deserves it.

Way to early to judge, Phil Esposito is top 5 all time in ppg in the playoffs. But you would of never known when he was younger, in his first 33 playoff games he only had 11 points total.

For his career he wound up averaging 1.22 ppg in the playoffs. You can't dump a player as young as stepan just because he has had a slow start to his playoff career.

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Way to early to judge, Phil Esposito is top 5 all time in ppg in the playoffs. But you would of never known when he was younger, in his first 33 playoff games he only had 11 points total.

For his career he wound up averaging 1.22 ppg in the playoffs. You can't dump a player as young as stepan just because he has had a slow start to his playoff career.
You don't trade Stepan, AA, Del Zotto...these are all young guys...the only way you move any of them is if you get a Jaime Benn in return type in return.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Stepan is 21 years old.

Parise will be a free agent on July 1. The CBA expires on September 15. How will the Rangers know the status of the CBA on July 1? The cap is going to rise in 2013? Rise from what? The NBA cap is flat with the players taking a % cut. The NFL cap is flat and will remain flat with the players taking a % cut.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

Bravo! It's about time someone else realized that McIIrath is the "last" prospect you should be putting in trade proposals. We spent a 10th pick on him and if/when he works out and makes the team, he adds a dimension that not a single one of our so called great young defensemen can come close to duplicating.

I agree with everything you posted; well done!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:05 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Bravo! It's about time someone else realized that McIIrath is the "last" prospect you should be putting in trade proposals. We spent a 10th pick on him and if/when he works out and makes the team, he adds a dimension that not a single one of our so called great young defensemen can come close to duplicating.

I agree with everything you posted; well done!
Can he clear the ****ing zone? That's what I want to know now. I'm tired of our players (forwards included) trying to clear into the waiting stick of the other teams' forwards.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
Just my opinion, this team needs a few things, but mainly

- Bottom 6 center who can win faceoffs
- Top 6 Left Winger.
- Bottom pairing defenseman. I like Bickel, I know he's trying hard, but he's a liability out there.
- Bottom 6 depth in general. I feel like we don't have a third line.

I don't know why some people are so giddy about the idea of trading Stepan or Michael Del Zotto. If we traded those 2, I guarantee, in 5 years we'll see threads moaning and groaning about how we didn't keep them. Its that type of stuff that lead this team into the dark ages.
Agree. I wouldn't be so inclined to trade either Stepan or MDZ because both guys, especially MDZ have untapped potential. I do believe that Stepan has to improve his skating and become physically stronger because he gets knocked off the puck way too easily.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Can he clear the ****ing zone? That's what I want to know now. I'm tired of our players (forwards included) trying to clear into the waiting stick of the other teams' forwards.
Good question. It's getting pretty old watching our d-men/ forwards fruitless attempts to get the puck out of the zone.
What I do believe is that McIIrath will clear forwards away from Hank's crease unlike our other d-men. This is where we miss Sauer a lot.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:59 PM
NorthlandPro

For those that insist on trading Stepan and McIlrath all I know is that thank god you folks don't run the NYRs. Stepan is not going anywhere and neither is McIlrath. Stepan is cutting his teeth learning how to play in the best league in the world and it is not an accident that having him on the squad has helped the team get to where they are. Far too many "fans" on here know only from stats and never give any consideration to the finer parts of the game that do not show up in the stats. Some of the comments about Stepan and what he lacks are just plain uninformed and as if the people making those comments only know about his game from some video game and not from having even watched him play live. The kid has game. If you can't see that no one can help you.

McIlrath is another player that has to prove he can't play at the NHL level. He was a need pick that the organization spent a ton of time researching. The same "fans" will be falling down all over themselves when he starts planting opponents into the front row. He like all of the players that have come in this year and last have all of the same kind of attributes and that is a requirement for NYR prospects.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
*sigh*

Ryan Suter is a left D. Our D group does not need any improvement on that side of the ice.

And no, he can't "just switch"
I think he can switch. Your move.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
just outta curiosity, do you play hockey? As a defenseman (in beer league granted). playing the opposite side on D is incredibly hard. i cant even imagine scaling up to that skill level.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
He can switch, but only at the price of his elite abilities as a defensive defenseman. If you're going to sacrifice that, why are you going to pay him so much money?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:38 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Every year, people say we dont have cap space or wiggle room to sign long term, and every year Sather finds a way to add.

Rangers need to replace Gaborik. He's got two years left. He's never been able to put back-to-back all star seasons. He's too up and down.

Rangers can sign somebody long term next offseason and sweat it out for a season. Callahan, Henrik and Girardi are all UFA's the same year Gaborik is. So are Boyle and Rupp, but they both suck and are overpaid, and are likely goners.

The 2013 UFA class is a zillion times better than this year. Screw parise. Screw Nash. Screw Suter.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:16 AM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
I think the Rangers will trade Dubinsky, McIlrath, and some other pieces for a top 6 winger. Who's available though? Ryan, Perry, Getzlaf (last 2 are FA's after this year), Iginla? Maybe sign Ray Whitney, who has a lot left, even at 40.

I also really like Jeff Gorton, I hope he's with this team post-Sather retirement so he can be our next GM.
Think Iginla is a possibility

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:23 AM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
I am not a Gaborik basher, and I like his play a lot, but if the Rangers can turn Gaborik into real solid assets, say a good young forward + top prospect + 1st.

Then turn around and either get Nash at YOUR price or sign Parise.
Sign me up! Somebody like winnepeg.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:25 AM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I have a hard time believing that the coaches don't feel he's a top-six player when he's been attached to Richards and Gaborik for the better part of the last 3 months. Is he a scoring forward? Too early to say for sure, but building a team isn't about putting your most skilled players on your top line and rolling with it. Holmstrom was a staple with Datsyuk and Zetterberg for a long time. Kunitz has been riding shotgun with Malkin and Neal, and Crosby before that.

If we can add the depth to have Hagelin on the 3rd line, that's wonderful, but right now he's doing everything but scoring in that spot; and until the playoffs started, he was performing just fine in the scoring department as well.
If he can get alot stronger, then watch out. He is just getting outmuscled a bit.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
just outta curiosity, do you play hockey? As a defenseman (in beer league granted). playing the opposite side on D is incredibly hard. i cant even imagine scaling up to that skill level.
Yes, since you asked, I've played goal for 12 years, which has nothing to do with this discussion.

Anyway, I think Ryan Suter is the type of guy who can excel at either side. For some guys, it's suicide. For others, it's a gradual, but not impossible transition. There are worse problems to have. Remember when Malik and Rozy was our top pair?

Old
05-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
He can switch, but only at the price of his elite abilities as a defensive defenseman. If you're going to sacrifice that, why are you going to pay him so much money?
That's just like... your opinion, man.