HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The character of this team is very underlooked

Old
05-18-2012, 03:15 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

vCash: 500
The character of this team is very underlooked

Listening to Francesa and Pierre talking right now and something that Pierre brings up in the character of the Rangers and how they have been able to bounce back in the regular season and in the playoffs. Go back 4-5 years and before the lockout, was this something that we could say about those groups? Did they have the same ability to pick themselves off the floor and come back when people and fans begin to doubt?

It's something that has led me to be positive about this team going forward in this series, this season, and for seasons to come. You cannot deny the ability of this team because when you do, they make you eat your words.

All I know is that there were a lot of people that were ready to throw in the towel before the 2nd period started last game. Guess what, even in the loss, this team showed effort and willingness to win by coming back and taking a lead.

Another thing is: Who is the most responsible for this? Coaching? Player Leadership? the skill of the team on the ice? I believe Cally, Richards, and the other Vets in the room are making this happen. I just hope we can keep talking about how gutsy and the guile of this team for another couple weeks.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Cmox

I really think a lot has to do with Torts and the homegrown players.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:36 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

At the risk of being that guy, I believe the would should be overlooked. Speaking for myself, I have believed for a while that this team's character is a strong reason why they are where they are now, and why I have confidence that they will be parading the Cup around MSG.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:39 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

It starts from the top down, yes J Dolan...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Dactyl

no doubt they can bounce back the problem is they cannot carry momentum at all

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:09 PM
CM PUNK

you can question the talent level but imo the character and work ethic of this team has never been a question. there are times when the effort isn't as high as we'd like but those times are the exceptions...

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
SnowblindNYR

Good character to bounce back, but why can't they have that character when they have a chance to take a commanding lead in a series?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:18 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

This is exactly why I haven't doubted this team once since game 1 Ottawa. Sure, I was concerned being down 3-2, but this team THRIVES when its back is against the wall.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
MessierIsGod

IMO, the team character's been great. How can it not be when 5 guys with no mask and body protection are playing goalie with Hank?

And if you don't, the coach bench you.

MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
At the risk of being that guy, I believe the would should be overlooked. Speaking for myself, I have believed for a while that this team's character is a strong reason why they are where they are now, and why I have confidence that they will be parading the Cup around MSG.
I hope you are right about the parading.

I have never believed in a Rangers squad as much as i believe in this one.

I was 12 in 94. I believed in them but i hadn't had my guts ripped out for over a decade prior to that.

Guts ripped out from 97 through 09-10.

Last year gave me big hope. This year that hope has materialized big time and its not nearly done yet.

I love this team.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Skrimpy

I hated how the analysts were basically saying when all three teams theyve played this post season tied the series at 1-1 pretty much wrote the Rangers off. It irritated me a lot but...the thing that keeps my hopes high at least for this series is tgat the played like $#!? In the last game, the Devils played great and the still held a lead for a while and only lost by 1. What do you think is going to happen when they decide to show up? Think period three of game 1. Devils Rangers go 7. King Rangers final!!!!!!!

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Um, hello?

This team does it's absolute worst at taking advantage of opponents mistakes.

They should've won against Ottawa in game 2 when they had the 1 goal lead scored by Boyle with 10 minutes remaining, what happens? Nick Foligno is left in front of the net with 5 mins to go for the tap in.

They should've won game 4 in Ottawa to take a commanding 3-1 lead, but they blew a 2-0 lead. Matt Carkner made a nifty pass to Michalek who came out the penalty box.

They allow a late PP goal vs. Washington in game 2, game 4 and could've closed out the series in game 6 but the team played like garbage.

They should be up 2-0 on the Devils, especially after scoring 2 PP goals and taking the lead halfway through the game. I don't care whatever team it is, a 1 goal lead with 1 period to go should be a win in a must win game like game 2. Now if we even advance, it'll be excruciating and the players will be gassed after playing a game 7.

All in all, it's been a great run and there are some individuals who really stepped up, but from what I have seen, this team isn't dominant and I don't think they're ready to compete for the cup yet. Prove me wrong Rangers.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
The Rangers have stepped up in EVERY big situation this season.

I have a fait in this teasm that was not evident in 94 simply because I had to live with knowing nothing but disappointment and failing to come up big in big games.

This Rangers team is so unlike teams of the past in how they work, defend and show up....every night.

I trust them

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

"They're not ready to compete for the Cup yet"

They're three wins away from competing for the Cup.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

you know what...i bet they've been losing the second game of each series just to build character. right guys?

but... if they really had the character they wouldn't choke every game 2 and come out like they'd been celebrating the night before.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:28 AM
jmb9191

As a mets fan I'm not going to use the term "true rangers" because I couldn't stand the likes of oneil and Scotty baseball but it's like that I guess. They seem to actually like playing. Only problem is they are playing a team that has character too and that character drives them to want nothing more than beating the rangers and defend their home ice, which scares me most. Hope our character wins unlike the 01 yankees

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Vitto79

They have chained and will bounce back. They will win the east

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
"They're not ready to compete for the Cup yet"

They're three wins away from competing for the Cup.
And if they get there, they will get slaughtered by a rested Kings team.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote