HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Iowa State to go D1?

Old
05-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Slowe

vCash: 500
Iowa State to go D1?

Well, OK so there's really not much to this yet, but it's the summer. Let's Play Hockey tweeted the following:

Quote:
Iowa State University is still pursuing a Division I menís hockey varsity program. The logical league for them to join would be the WCHA.
Quote:
The key is finding the Cyclone version of Penn State's Terry Pegula. And Iowa State is trying to do just that.
I'm sure a lot of schools WANT D1 hockey, and many would add it IF they had someone drop a boat load of money into their laps. Good to hear they are trying, but until there is some actual progress...

Let's Play Hockey reported late last year that University of Illinois was also trying to get donors. Haven't heard anything else about that since the tweet either.

Slowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:57 PM
sbkbghockey

I think it's just a slow Tweet day so time to post a longstanding rumor. Iowa State has been "pursuing NCAA Division I hockey" at least since Al Murdoch became coach of the Cyclones 20+ years ago.

Penn State, Iowa State and Navy have been longtime rumors, between ISU or Navy I'd say both might be in the NCAA within 15-20 years but Navy is much closer with a recently constructed/upgraded suitable on-campus arena and a conference (Atlantic Hockey) that would gladly accept the team and would benefit greatly from an Army-Navy Cold War game. ISU has previously denied the rumors and would need a big upgrade in facilities, scholarship endowments for men's hockey and a women's sports team to meet title IX, etc... all equaling a big investment/donation (like Penn State).

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Slowe

Agreed. It's conversation fodder. I find it more interesting that Iowa is (if true) actively pursuing the sport. Schools only get the chance to add a new sport every so often due to $$$, so I am somewhat curious that if they were pursuing anything that it would be hockey. There are a lot of USHL teams there, but otherwise I don't think Iowa has much of a hockey culture. Youth hockey isn't exactly booming with only 2,500 players in Iowa and not much growth since the mid 90s. I suppose if USHL teams can make money and given the success of their ACHA college team maybe they are hoping it can turn a profit. But yeah, not much else to speculate on until a real donor(s) steps in.

Slowe is offline   Reply With Quote