HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Should Tambellini be fired?

View Poll Results: Should Tambo be let go
Yes 118 54.38%
No 28 12.90%
Not sure 9 4.15%
give him another year or two 62 28.57%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I voted yes. Can't happen soon enough.

I've just been told in another thread by Booya that we are going into year three of the rebuild, and now I come over here and see you saying the same thing.
Frankly I'm kind of surprised that anyone is buying that timeline
. We've already tanked three full seasons and Tamby's done nothing in the nearly four full years he has had on the job. How can we possibly be going into year three ?

Oh ..... now I get it.
The first year under Tambo was comprised of trying to continue with what Klowe was doing - trying to buy talent ala Heatley (you know...the Feaster method). It obviously failed horribly, and the decision to blow it all up and start from scratch was made. This is when they came up with the 4-6 year rebuild plan. We are in year 3, and forward steps need to be taken or consequences suffered by management.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:14 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Fire him! The guy has no balls to pull a trigger on a deal unless the deal is for draft picks. You can probably count the number of actual NHL players Tambellini has brought in on one hand. Whitney, Schultz, Kotalik, has he brought in anyone else by trade that hasnt been a prospect or an AHL level player?

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:19 PM
dem

I'd have rather fired Tambo than fired Renney.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:19 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Fire him! The guy has no balls to pull a trigger on a deal unless the deal is for draft picks. You can probably count the number of actual NHL players Tambellini has brought in on one hand. Whitney, Schultz, Kotalik, has he brought in anyone else by trade that hasnt been a prospect or an AHL level player?
It might sound crazy but our AHL team needs help too...

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Why fire him now? He was brought in to build the team from the ground up and that's exactly what he's doing.
I don't know what you guys expected but i expected the team to be pretty bad over this 3 year period, maybe not as bad as 30,30 and 29th place but not much better plus we ended up with Hall, RNH and hopefully Yakupov so it's not all bad.

I always thought that '12-'13 was the year to compete for a playoff spot so i would really like to see Tambellini make some real live significant moves this offseason, no more Sutton, Potter, Barker type moves. If he makes only minor moves and somehow thinks that a new coach will cure all the teams' ills then i will really start to question his sanity.
Was he brought in to build the team from the ground up?

Signing Khabibulin and chasing after Heatley is a funny way of doing it.

Maybe he was trying to follow the Burke model?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Asher

You guys might not like to read it and I sure as hell don't like typing it but Tambo is doing exactly what he's been mandated to do by Katz. Sure he's made a number of blunders (eg. signing Khabby), but the overall scheme of sitting back and letting the team grow slowly comes straight from the top.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

No, I don't think he was brought in to do this at first. Decision to rebuild was made after Tambo was hired. So, he wasn't brought in for that purpose, but that became the purpose pretty early in his tenure here (after the Khabibulin/Heatley gaffes).

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Tambo was brought in because no other team wanted to deal with Lowe anymore. They still don't as far as I can tell.

The rebuild just dropped in Tambo's lap. I kind of have a laugh when people suggest that he came in here and blew the team apart just to get the rebuild going. Blew the team apart by trading Penner, you mean? Ha.

He gets credit for it now, but Maggie the monkey could lead an NHL team to a 30th place finish. It will take a real GM to get the team to the next level. I'm not confident that he can. The Oilers should be able to take another big step forward this year and anything short of that should see Tambo on his way out.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:39 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Tambo was brought in because no other team wanted to deal with Lowe anymore. They still don't as far as I can tell.

The rebuild just dropped in Tambo's lap. I kind of have a laugh when people suggest that he came in here and blew the team apart just to get the rebuild going. Blew the team apart by trading Penner, you mean? Ha.

He gets credit for it now, but Maggie the monkey could lead an NHL team to a 30th place finish. It will take a real GM to get the team to the next level. I'm not confident that he can. The Oilers should be able to take another big step forward this year and anything short of that should see Tambo on his way out.
Another implies we've already taken a big step forward.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:44 PM
pSlayer*

I'm sure he is a good guy but being a GM is not his thing. Just watching him when he speaks to the media makes me embarrassed sometimes that he is managing our team. We need a strong leader who is confident in what he does and says. Tambo really shows no confidence at all. Please let him go.

pSlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Koto

IMO he needs a 1 year to get out of the basement, and 1 to make the playoffs. most of his move on paper were good at the time:

khabi-didnt love it, but was reasonable enough at the time
Smyth trade-gift rapped, but tambi stuck to his guns when we were panicing and was able to unload a contract
penner-win
cogs-win
foster-another signing that i thought was ok, didnt work
foster/sutton-win
belanger-we all liked it at the time
eager-most of us liked it at the time
barker-it was a flyer, get over it
hordichuck-meh whatever, most important part is that the coach and gm need to be on the same page with this type of player, if you sign him, he needs to play
grebeshkov trade-win
whitney/visnovsky- questionable, looked good for a short period, but probably could have forseen health issues.
gilbert/schultz-the only trade that my immediate reaction was negative, still believe we lost the trade, but its not that bad, and many of you like it.

personally im glad we were terrible for a couple years and got 1st OAs. infact i would try to do that if i were rebuilding a team.

didn't the cap owner instruct the GM to do the same for OV?

who says katz isnt on board with this as well?

i expect the team to finish at least 11th this year with at least 85 points this year. and i expect playoffs the next year. you can fire him if he doesnt manage that.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Kamus

Its really bizzaro world in Oiler fandom.

Team sucks = G.M. doing bang up job

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

I have no confidence that Tambo will be able to make the proper trades needed to fill our team's holes and get us in the playoffs.

I'd rather have Lowe at the helm. He was never afraid to make big trades. All he was ever missing was the top end talent which we now have.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post

How does that not make sense? He's done a great job of giving us an extremely bright future. And no, I don't think he should be fired. He's a good rebuilder. I'm not sure if he's the guy we need in 5 years, but he fits the bill right now

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Kamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
How does that not make sense? He's done a great job of giving us an extremely bright future. And no, I don't think he should be fired. He's a good rebuilder. I'm not sure if he's the guy we need in 5 years, but he fits the bill right now
Me and you could have done the same job for 1/10 his salary.

Like I said

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
It might sound crazy but our AHL team needs help too...
Yea, but trading all your NHL quality players for AHLers and prospects is a recipe for disaster as we've seen the last 3 years.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Tambellini will be given one more year; after he delivers his master stroke on the rebuild in the form of Jones/MacKinnon, Lowe will come from up on high and can him.
You mean promote him. The Peter Principle.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Soundwave

If he takes Yakupov, then no, I would not fire him. I'm willing to give him 1-2 more years.

If he panics and ends up compromising our pick because he can't find a d-man any other way, then yes. Fire his ass.

Take Yakupov and sign a blue line vet like Bryan Allen. Even if you do virtually nothing else this off-season you should improve by at least another 12-14 points.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

Oilers GM outlines 4-6 year rebuild...sticks to it. (Certain) fans complain that he sticks to it....

Tambo's fault...

Bizzaro world of fans indeed.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Another implies we've already taken a big step forward.
Well the first step was off a cliff. But we landed in a pile of #1 picks.

This year had been a step forward, IMO. Way better special teams, the emergence of the young guys. I think we've made improvements everywhere but the standings. But its not enough. And I don't think he had as much to do with it as he would like to think.

We are still waiting for the move that defines Tambo as a GM. Everything up to this point has been minor moves, or draft gifts for doing so poorly. I don't know of any GM who wants to be know for their "wait and see" approach. Thats not leadership.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Me and you could have done the same job for 1/10 his salary.

Like I said
If you truly believe this, then you are the one who is looney and deluded.

Arm-chair GM'ing at it's very finest here.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
If you truly believe this, then you are the one who is looney and deluded.

Arm-chair GM'ing at it's very finest here.
I was just about to write the same thing.... It is easy to sit back and pounce on mistakes other people make. It is much harder to actually be the person making them.

I agree with your previous post also. 4-6 year rebuild is going right on schedule, I have no problem with Tambellini continuing for a couple more years. Letting go of Renney is a positive step forward, bringing in a motivator and a guy who instills accountability is another step forward.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:49 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
IMO he needs a 1 year to get out of the basement, and 1 to make the playoffs. most of his move on paper were good at the time:

khabi-didnt love it, but was reasonable enough at the time
Smyth trade-gift rapped, but tambi stuck to his guns when we were panicing and was able to unload a contract
penner-win
cogs-win
foster-another signing that i thought was ok, didnt work
foster/sutton-win
belanger-we all liked it at the time
eager-most of us liked it at the time
barker-it was a flyer, get over it
hordichuck-meh whatever, most important part is that the coach and gm need to be on the same page with this type of player, if you sign him, he needs to play
grebeshkov trade-win
whitney/visnovsky- questionable, looked good for a short period, but probably could have forseen health issues.
gilbert/schultz-the only trade that my immediate reaction was negative, still believe we lost the trade, but its not that bad, and many of you like it.

personally im glad we were terrible for a couple years and got 1st OAs. infact i would try to do that if i were rebuilding a team.

didn't the cap owner instruct the GM to do the same for OV?

who says katz isnt on board with this as well?

i expect the team to finish at least 11th this year with at least 85 points this year. and i expect playoffs the next year. you can fire him if he doesnt manage that.
IMO, we shouldn't have been in the basement this year, and the playoffs should be the expectation this year.

As for his moves, I'm not so sure they were even that great on paper...

- Khabibulin was an obvious overpay in term right from the get go. The dollars were fine as far as I'm concerned, but I would've rather they just gave Roli the 2 year deal he was asking for.

- The Foster signing would've been ok under different circumstances. Unfortunately, he was the posterboy for this regime's management style, which is going all in on the best case scenario regardless of how unlikely it is to achieve. If we had a useful top 4, then he would've been fine as a 3rd pairing guy who played the point on the powerplay. Instead, he was brought in to round out the top 4 and it blew up in their faces.

- Cam Barker was the exact same thing. He bet on a career underachiever who had been bought out the same offseason to live up to a high draft position that happened 8 years prior. There was no reason to think that it was a smart bet, yet he risked everything on it. He was actually a downgrade on Foster, who was a colossal failure in his own right.

- The Smyth trade was a clear win despite all the inexplicable hate around here for #94, but he basically traded himself here. Tambellini didn't seek it out, nor do I believe he wanted it.

- Cogliano. Yeah, that was a win for Tambellini. He made big strides in his penalty killing, but the aquisition of Belanger trumped that (even though the Belanger signing came after)

- Speaking of Belanger, I still believe he was Tambellini's best ever UFA signing. He didn't bring the offense of years past, but I actually felt like he was getting a lot of chances early on. He was just incredibly snake-bitten. Even without the offense (which I think we'll see more of next year), he was instrumental in the improvement in the PK and on faceoffs.

- The Foster/Sutton trade is basically a wash. We got one 6/7 defenseman for another and I really don't think we needed either player TBH.

- Eager/Hordichuk - Upgrades on the guys that played their roles the year before. I guess that's worth something, but just like the guys they replaced, at least one of them should be in the PB on any given night.

- Grebeshkov - Getting a 2nd for him was good value. Trading away an NHL defenseman and icing the league's worst defense every year since

- I think both the Gilbert/Schultz and Whitney/Visnovsky trades were losses, but at least we got decent players back.

- Penner was only a win because of how poor he performed after joining the Kings. He was a productive player for us, and it would be reasonable to expect that he would've continued to be if he stayed. Even though we got decent value for him, I have yet to see how our team is any better. Teubert certainly hasn't had much of an impact, and Klefbom is still years away (and is far from a sure thing himself). Penner was ultimately replaced by Smyth, who definitely outproduced Penner this year, but like I said, I'm not convinced Tambellini even wanted Smyth in the first place.

During his tenure, Tambelllini has shown that he can trade players off his roster, whether it's to cut salary or to aquire picks and prospects for the future. What he's proven completely incapable of, is finding actual NHL players that will make the Oilers a better hockey team. At the draft, the Oilers have added terrific pieces in RNH, Eberle, Hall, etc. In free agency, and through trades, however, he's only managed to make the team worse.

05-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

^^^^

"He risked everything on it" on Cam Barker. A bit dramatic, dont you think?

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:07 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

ST was getting alot of high fives last offseason when he signed eager and belanger. Renney couldnt get them to play effectively and he was sent packing. ST didnt address the defence and i think this year he will. if we fail again, he will be replaced.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote