HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Dwight King

Old
05-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Dwight King

This guy has been nothing short of amazing.

I observed his first round jitters against Vancouver, and was unhappy with some of his play at that time, but understood it (Voynov is still having some of those).

And he really could have shrunk from the criticism after the Pietrangelo hit.

But ever since then, the guy has been on fire. 5 goals? Who would have thought that? And such variety...rebounds, empty netters, rotation goals (last night).

Besides the goals, he has been finishing checks with regularity, and I haven't seen to many gaffs at all since Vancouver.

This guy is really something else...they always say, some unexpected players always make an impact for these types of runs, and here it is in the form of Dwight King.

Love the guy's smile after goals too.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
DaAnimal

I always liked King, even when he came aboard last year. I didn't quite understand why so many people criticized him. I understand he wasn't the "natural born scorer" that we always wanted. I guess having Zeus and Smyth was already enough. But this year he truly proved himself worthy and has won over a lot of fans.

He was the answer to our scoring woes and a few fans on this forum was correct. It wasn't because we sucked at scoring or the coach, it was the fact that we had no net presence. Sutter saw that mistake and was quick to correct it with the help of Nolan and King. But overall our team was under performing, some players wasn't hungry enough to win.

On the other hand, King is a prime example of a success story from the AHL. He worked hard and played hard in Manchester, thus, his work ethics showed. It doesn't matter if you were drafted in the first round or the second, King was a low draft pick and now he's completely transformed his game and matured in our system.

I think a lot of this credit should not only go towards King himself, but management deserves a little pat in the back too!

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:15 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Manchester is doing a great job developing our prospects and Lobardi and Sutter have been good about knowing when to bring them up. It's great watching King play so well. His smile is infectious.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Love it ... but ...

before we say he can replace Penner, or slot him into our top six,
remember how great Simmonds was in the Playoffs in 2010 and then not so much during the regular season of 2010-11 ...
remember how great Richardson was in the Playoffs in 2011 and then not so much during the regular season of 2011-12 ...
remember what a BEAST Kyle Clifford was in the Playoffs in 2011 and then not so much during the regular season of 2011-12 ...
remember how great Lewis was in the Playoffs in 2011 and then not so much during the regular season of 2011-12 ...

tempered expectations, don't expect him to be an All-Star next season, and if he continues to play well, great, bonus ... if not oh well hopefully Clifford rebounds.
Either way it's all good, I think we've turned the corner finally and we will be like the Red Wings now ... when one guy doesn't live up to expectations, there will be another one in your system or down on the AHL farm team we can bring up and get the production out of ... good times Kings Fans ... GOOD TIMES.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:18 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Dwight King is the our Chris Kreider, but without all the uber-hype of the nhl media.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think people were expecting unrealistic results the first time Dwight King was called up last season and put on the top line with Kopitar and Brown. Remember, this was under Terry Murray and I don't think he was really assigned to carry any specific role.

Now the second time around, there are no expectations with him coming in and he has less responsibilities to handle. His assignment is simple, go out there and play up to your strengths, and he's doing just that. He's a player whose strengths are along the boards.

King excels at digging for pucks in the corners and along the wall and as we saw on his goal last night, he has the ability to take the puck from the outside to the inside due to his size and reach. King has been the perfect big bodied left wing to compliment Stoll and Lewis.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Manchester is doing a great job developing our prospects
This

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:03 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think people were expecting unrealistic results the first time Dwight King was called up last season and put on the top line with Kopitar and Brown. Remember, this was under Terry Murray and I don't think he was really assigned to carry any specific role.

Now the second time around, there are no expectations with him coming in and he has less responsibilities to handle. His assignment is simple, go out there and play up to your strengths, and he's doing just that. He's a player whose strengths are along the boards.

King excels at digging for pucks in the corners and along the wall and as we saw on his goal last night, he has the ability to take the puck from the outside to the inside due to his size and reach. King has been the perfect big bodied left wing to compliment Stoll and Lewis.
This can almost be said of all the players under Murray. Once Sutter came in, he seemed to define each player with his role, and for once kept the lines together until later in the playoffs where King and Penner were switched.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:48 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

He has the creepiest smile.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:10 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I didn't think he would be much when I first watched him at prospects camps. He was out of shape (as is normal for most prospects) and he was very lazy when it came to drills and fitness. I spoke with Lombardi about him specifically years ago, who agreed he needed to learn to train like a pro.

Two years later, he was a LOT more fit, and strong. His latest development camp showed him playing with aggression and tenacity. He got better every year.

I was wrong about how he'd turn out, and I didn't think he'd have much of a scoring touch, but I always knew he would be a very good defensive winger who is strong on the forecheck. But he has really turned it up.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:44 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Speaking of Dwight King...

Los Angeles Kings Rookie Left Wing Dwight King’s Wildest Dreams Are Coming True

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Come on y'all let's take a ride
Don't ya say **** just get inside
It's time to take your ass on another kind of trip
Cuz you can't have the hop if you don't have the hip
Grab you gat with the extra clip
And close your eyes and hit the switch
We're going to a place where everybody kick it, kick it, kick it
Yea that's the ticket
Ain't no bloodin
ain't no crippin
ain't no punk ass ****** set trippin'
Everybody got a stack and it ain't no crack
And it really don't matter if you're white or black
I wanna take you there like the Staple Singers
Put something in the tank, and I know that I can bring ya
If ya can't take the heat get ya ass out the kitchen
We on a mission

Come along and ride on a Ganntastic voyage
Slide, slide slippity slide
I'm hittin switches on the block in a 65
Come along and ride on fantastic voyage
Slide slide hoo ride, ain't no valley low enough or mountain high

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:18 AM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

The crazy thing is that this playoff run has lasted so long, I've completely forgotten that it started with King on the Richards line and his shaky play early on. That's just astonishing to me. What I love about both King and Nolan is that they're big guys with hands, but they're also not pylons. They don't have blazing speed, but they do have jump.

Just looked it up as a reminder and DL definitely finds those later round gems. From that 2007 draft, Hickey (doubtful he lives up to that draft position, but I think he'll be an NHL'er), Moller, Simmonds, Martinez, King. That fourth round in particular was good for this playoff run.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Manchester is doing a great job developing our prospects and Lobardi and Sutter have been good about knowing when to bring them up. It's great watching King play so well. His smile is infectious.
Tell that to Holloway,

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Tell that to Holloway,
That's not on the Kings.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Habstract

The Kings did a good job with King. He learned how to become an NHL'er in the AHL for over 2 seasons. He deserves everything that's happening to him right now

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:46 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

King has pretty much been what I expected him to be since we picked him up. No surprises here. I still see him developing into a 20/20 3rd liner with average speed and a time to time second line winger on a good team.

We have a good team.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Vujtek

Hey guys,

Just wondering how your playoff hero is doing this year? Is he proving last season's success wasn't a fluke and becoming a solid 3rd liner for you? Does he even have the upside to be a top-6'er some day?

Looking from stat sheet, he seemed to have a slow start but is lately improving. Only one goal so far though. Is he generating chances but is just snakebitten?`Saving his big goals for the playoffs again?

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

I think Puck U's post is proving to prophetic. Does not look like top 6 upside. But a nice depth player with good size, wins board battles, drives the net, decent hands. Decent enough bottom 6 guy, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:18 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
King has pretty much been what I expected him to be since we picked him up. No surprises here. I still see him developing into a 20/20 3rd liner with average speed and a time to time second line winger on a good team.

We have a good team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Hey guys,

Just wondering how your playoff hero is doing this year? Is he proving last season's success wasn't a fluke and becoming a solid 3rd liner for you? Does he even have the upside to be a top-6'er some day?

Looking from stat sheet, he seemed to have a slow start but is lately improving. Only one goal so far though. Is he generating chances but is just snakebitten?`Saving his big goals for the playoffs again?
There were a few of us who saw him for what he was and he is still on that developmental path. I might end up having been overly optimistic on the 20/20 notion but it isn't out of the question down the road. As things stand today if this were a full season I could see him hit 15g and being a solid 3rd liner who can step up and give you some second line mins when needed.

I don't think anyone ever saw him as a full time second liner. Utility forward with size who can play on your bottom 6 and occasionally give you second line help too is what I had projected him to be early on and he is working towards becoming that.

Holden has it right as usual.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

He's a solid third liner and has good chemistry with Stoll and Lewis. I guess Sutter feels if its working, why change it?

That's one line that he seems not to mess with, for the most part.

03-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I'm okay with him on the 3rd line, preferably 4th. That's about it.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:34 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
I was thinking why anyone would be starting a DK thread, but now I see that it was started last year. I like DK. I just wished he would play more physical, but he seems to be more of the gentle giant type.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

DK is fine for his line and what he brings. Big body that is hard to move and can wear the other team down. Like to see him have a bit more of a scoring touch tho.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

I think he is one asset that DL can easily upgrade. Bottom 6 player with limited hockey sense, speed but with good size and plays decent in the d zone. I rather have a Higgins or Torres in that spot but i can't complain becasue of his salary cap.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote