HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most memorable game you went to

Old
05-18-2012, 09:26 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
In no particular order

game 1 against the Isles in 1994
Gretzky's last game
game 6 against Quebec in 1995. Win as an 8 seed and the last game for the Nordiques
Game against the Isles at the Coliseum when Mess had a hat trick on my 21st bday.
when the clinched the presidents trophy in 94 against the Leafs
2006 against the Flyers, clinching a play-off spot
game 5 against the Devils 97 play-offs
game 5 against the Devils 2008 play-offs.
and finally, my first game. Pre-season against the Flyers, Oct 1, 1985. 2 bench clearing brawls, players who were ejected after the first brawl came back on the ice for the 2nd. Also sat in the blue seats, and let's just say it was a totally different animal than today's blue seats.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:27 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdlight View Post
I was also at the 2007 game 3 7-0 playoff v atlanta. Things I remember: The Garden going to World War 9 levels of noise when Nylander scored less than a minute into the game, Callahan getting his first playoff goal, and Avery goading Kovalchuk into frustration and a shoving match/fight.
Don't forget the Fans doing that Braves-Florida State war chant to mock Atlanta.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

1. Gretzky's last game
2. '94 Game 2 vs Nucks
3. '94 Game 4 vs Isles
4. '97 Game 4 vs Panthers

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
nyahay bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
1 Game 7 Vancouver
2 Stemmer
3 Game 7 Devils
4 Game 3 Bruins
old timer! My father had a ticket for me for game 3 in '72 but my mother said no. Rangers kicked the crap out of the Bruins that night. I still can't forgive her for that.

nyahay bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Probably the game in 98 when Cloutier mauled Salo and then tried to fight the Islanders bench. Wish I had something more memorable than that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:59 AM
nyahay bus

4/8/71 Stanley Cup quarterfinals Rangers vs. Leafs. my first playoff game. a wild out of control game. there were 7 fights and some bench clearing brawls. Vic Hadfield tossed Bernie Parent's mask into the crowd. At 1:26 into the video you can make out Vic's toss. Rangers lost though, 4-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkHXEliMZ3s

nyahay bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:50 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
4/8/71 Stanley Cup quarterfinals Rangers vs. Leafs. my first playoff game. a wild out of control game. there were 7 fights and some bench clearing brawls. Vic Hadfield tossed Bernie Parent's mask into the crowd. At 1:26 into the video you can make out Vic's toss. Rangers lost though, 4-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkHXEliMZ3s
I remember listening to that game on radio....

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
The amount of jelly I am feeling towards all of you is amazing. I've been to 2 games in my life.

-Rangers-Devils at The Rock. Drury tied it with like 5 minutes left and Dawes scored his 800th shootout winner that season.

-Rangers-Philly at The Garden- It was the last game we lost to the Flyers before kicking the **** out of them in every single game since.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
You know your stuff, man

Sam & JD's call on MSG was the icing on the cake of that play! What a shot off the right point by Tikkanen!!!
We were in the 300 level no alcohol section. We snuck in a bottle of rum and divided it up in the sodas. If I remember correctly, they were down a goal and Luc tied it up close to the buzzer. In OT we watched Tik shoot and EVERYONE thought Beezer made the save or he hit the cross bar. When the announcement came, "The play is under review". We started screaming. Most of the players returned to their benches and we knew it was a good goal when we saw Tik standing next to Richter pointing toward Beezer. Then the place went nuts.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Probably the game in 98 when Cloutier mauled Salo and then tried to fight the Islanders bench. Wish I had something more memorable than that.
Wasn't that a pre-season game?

05-18-2012, 07:12 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

2009 Preseason game at the Rock.

The one where Gilroy scored that sick goal. Met Doc Emrick, talked to Joe Mich between periods. VIP seats. All free.

Only game I've been to lol.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Joe11

I was at the game ( last day of season) when Hadfield scored his 49th & 50th goals - he was my favorite

Also was at the Stemkowski triple O/T game

Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmike View Post
my most memorable game was the first game Eddie G played at the garden after being traded to Detroit. Sat in eighth row behind red wings goal. The whole stands where cheering for everything he did good and everything the rangers did good. At the end of the game he took off his mask and you could see tears rolling down his cheeks.
That was the game I was going to say - I was in the yellow seats, Section 228, Seat E1. Tension was so thick that night you could cut it was a spoon. Place was ready to explode. If you recall, every fan cheered for Detroit, and they won with Eddie 6-4.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:45 PM
ltsthinaz

Next game was the night in 1979, ECF - night we beat the Islanders. That was the season Denis Potvin broke Ulfie Nilsson's leg and the "Potvin s**ks" chant began. Don Murdoch scored in the first period and was sitting right in front of Ron Greschner when he scored the winning goal in the second. We won 2-1. To this day, I have the ticket stub in my wallet as a good luck charm, and as proof I was actually there that day.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

Most memorable game for me recently was the LA-NYR from the previous season (2/17/11). I had a mini-plan up in Sec. 413, so I saw an assortment of the good, the bad, the ugly, and the EPIC!.

Rangers had fallen behind late into the third and they tie it with Lundqvist pulled! Garden was rocking for a regular season game. Lord Zuke showed his prowess in the shoot-out, getting the GWG. From disgust to delight in a span of 5 minutes and change!

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
We were in the 300 level no alcohol section. We snuck in a bottle of rum and divided it up in the sodas. If I remember correctly, they were down a goal and Luc tied it up close to the buzzer. In OT we watched Tik shoot and EVERYONE thought Beezer made the save or he hit the cross bar. When the announcement came, "The play is under review". We started screaming. Most of the players returned to their benches and we knew it was a good goal when we saw Tik standing next to Richter pointing toward Beezer. Then the place went nuts.
They were playing the "Jeopardy" theme while the replays were shown on Gardenvision during the lengthy review. Referees didn't announce the goal to the crowd via cordless microphone back then, so they addressed the play directly to captain Mark Messier (and Gretzky); first relative quiet... then CELEBRATION!!! IIRC, some of the Panthers scuffled with the Rangers before everyone went back to their respective dressing rooms.

Quote:
by Sam Rosen:

"Still no word. Still no word... RANGERS WIN!!!"
[EDIT: Forgot to add - EVEN former analyst JD didn't believe the shot went in until he saw the net cam view, the puck came at the viewer on the screen, and the hardness of the shot shifted the viewing angle ever so slightly.]

Last edited by Blue Seat Spartan: 05-18-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
They were playing the "Jeopardy" theme while the replays were shown on Gardenvision during the lengthy review. Referees didn't announce the goal to the crowd via cordless microphone back then, so they addressed the play directly to captain Mark Messier (and Gretzky); first relative quiet... then CELEBRATION!!! IIRC, some of the Panthers scuffled with the Rangers before everyone went back to their respective dressing rooms.

[EDIT: Forgot to add - EVEN former analyst JD didn't believe the shot went in until he saw the net cam view, the puck came at the viewer on the screen, and the hardness of the shot shifted the viewing angle ever so slightly.]
Thats right. I remember the replays now. Jeopardy theme reminds me of another memorable game, (not at the garden or even a Ranger game but it was fun). It was a season or two right after the infamous Brett Hull cheating incident. I hate the Sabres (mainly because they blackout the games here in smAlbany). Pre season matchup between the Slugs and the Panthers in Binghamton. There was a questionable call (not a goal call) that was being reviewed and the Jeopardy theme was playing. The arena was dead silent and when the song ended....da, dada, dada, da, da. I stand up and yell at the top of my lungs, "What is 'No Goal, Alex'". The sabres fans were not very happy with me. I actually got boood pretty good. Then when it got quiet again, I yelled, "Brett Hull is THE MAN!"

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Game 6 of the 1994 ECF.
Yep. One for the ages.

At the meadowlands of all places...

Honorable mention: every playoff home game in '07

05-18-2012, 10:01 PM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Don't forget the Fans doing that Braves-Florida State war chant to mock Atlanta.
I started that!!!! Probably the proudest moment of my life

savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:26 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

January 31, 1964 at the Long Island Arena - The Long Island Ducks rallied with two goals in the third period, the second one by Eddie Stankiewicz with :56 left in regulation, to beat Johnstown 3-2. We sat three rows off the ice. Andy Bathgate and Harry Howell were at the game (Harry's brother Ron played for the Ducks) and I was able to get their autographs. My first hockey game.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:48 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Wasn't that a pre-season game?
no, it was the last game of the season. I was there, too.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
KICKsaveANDaBeauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriFF51 View Post
I was at that one too...a homeless guy in Penn Station I gave a dollar to before the game said they'll score a hattrick tonight...It was insane.
I have somewhat of a similar story. The day before the game Gomez was doing a signing at the Steiner store on 96th..The last thing I said to him was "Hey, I'll be at the game tomorrow...How about a hattrick?!", to which he sarcasticly replied, "Oh, yeah...". I guess I was kinda on point. I did get to see one over paid center get a hatty. Your story is way better though, lol. Very nostradamus-ish

KICKsaveANDaBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:07 PM
MessierIsGod

Most fun was Lindros' first game vs the Flyers as a Ranger at MSG. Flyers fans all had orange T-shirts with the number 88 circled and slashed across. Fights everywhere..400s, 300s, and even some suits were fighting down low.

Others:

Messier's unannounced last game
Game 7 vs canucks in '94
Game 7 vs devils in '94
Leetch's first game back as a B
Opening/Banner raising night in '95 after the lockout
Jagr's last game at home as a ranger
Messier's first game back as a canuck (video and tears)

MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Zikolako
mailataikuri

November 4th 2000, at Molson Centre. Rangers won 5-2, Theo Fleury scored his 400th career goal. Other scorers Adam Graves, Mark Messier, Michael York and Petr Nedved. Purinton had couple fights vs. Enrico Ciccone (Ciccone´s last NHL game by the way). So far this is the only time I´ve seen the New York Rangers live.

Zikolako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:39 AM
MDL8981

I usually go to 1-2 games a year...but none have been all that memorable. Just "run of the mill" average type games. Two that sort of stick out were a 8-1 win over the Pens in I think 2007. It was fun to watch Jagr dominate in person. I also was at the game in which Richter passed Giacomin for the Rangers goaltending wins record..I wanna say it was an OT victory vs Toronto in either 00 or 01. Have never been lucky enough to get to a playoff game in person. Just out of my price range.

I've been to a Devils playoff game...Game 6 vs Ottawa in 2003. One of my friends is a Devs fan and he had an extra ticket and asked me if I wanted to go. IIRC Ottawa won in OT.

I went to a few Whalers games back in the 90s. One of my parents friends worked for the team, so he got us great tickets. I remember seeing a Kings-Whalers game back in 94. Seats right behind the glass, which was awesome because I got to see Gretzky up close. He scored a goal in that game...it was actually a few games before he broke Howe's record.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote