HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs retool

Old
05-18-2012, 02:20 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
OK, let's get bold.

Let me preface this by saying I DO NOT want to part with the #5, but....

1) TO COL: Liles/Blacker/2nd
OR
Liles/Lupul
OR
#5 oveall straight up

TO TOR:Stastny

Why?: The Avs could use some points from the D, especially on PP, and a Liles' return gives them that long-term at a decent price. Hate the idea of parting with Blacker or Lupul, but Liles alone does not get Stastny. You probably still have to sweeten the pot.

Stastny, at just 26, gives us a legitimate #1 centre and allows for the C drafted (assuming the #5 isn't gone) to develop. He only has one more year left on his deal, so he would have to be signed to an extension.

If above does not work, kick the tires on Getzlaf and if he is available, go hard after him:

TO ANA:Joffrey Lupul/5th overall

TO TOR:Getzlaf

WHY: OK, I know I am about to get flamed by my fellow Leaf fans, but you have to give up something to get something back, right? If Selaane retires, the Ducks need a top six forward. They get that in Lupul, and a high pick for the future. Welcome back, Lupul.

Is it an overpayment? I'm not so sure. Lupul excelled last year, but no one saw that coming. I think you trade him now when his value is high and you can get a stud C in Getzlaf. This deal would obviously hinge on Getzlaf signing an extension. Getzlaf and Kessel (and maybe even Lupul) together? Yes, please.

Goaltending:
A) See if we can acquire Luongo for a decent prospect, a possible cap dump and a second. Don't want to turn this into a Canuck thread saying it isn't enough, but if we can get him at a decent price, he is the best available. If not, Plan B.

B) Attempt to sign Vokoun, if he plans on staying in NA, as a stopgap for a couple of years.

C)Failing that, go after Berner or Harding and platoon him with Reimer or Scrivens and hope for the best. Not an ideal scenario, but one that won't see us part with more than we want.
Okay, it was expained to me now, why some seem to think Getzlaf is being dealt, but come on, you are giving the Ducks two more good wingers (Lupul and likely Forsberg) besides Perry and Ryan, when they now have NO center? How does that work for them?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
If you mean 4th overall thats close. I rank Gardiner higher then any pick save Yakupov. For that reason I think I would decline this. Kadri is progressing, and still holds top 6 potential.

If you meant 4th rd pick, you're out to lunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
Leafs pass without much thought.

Grabo for Sharp has the makings of a good deal, but, for the the Leafs to consider moving the 5th, offer up Towes. ...No, didnt think so.
lmao

Gardiner > any pick except Yakupov

Leafs #5 = Toews

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:06 PM
vanwest

Edit, nevermind

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:37 PM
LeafsYoungGuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Straight up proposals from Leaf fans never seem to work out, so I'd like to flip things around.

In order of need, Leafs are missing:

1) #1 goalie (at least one that can start for 2-3 years while Reimer/Scrivens develop)
2) #1 centre
3) Power-forward in their Top 6
4) Veteran defense-man

Kessel is the only untouchable. Everyone else is fair game (including our #5)

For those teams willing to shop a player that fills one of our needs, what would you want coming back?
#1 & 2 are the only 2 I agree with. We currently have a couple of guys in our system that could fill the role of top 6 PWF so there is no need there. And getting another defenceman is yseless unless its d for d and Komi is the one traded. Experience comes from playing and if we toss one of the young guys we have away we will regret it.
Our d is composed of Phaneuf, Liles, Gunnar, Schenn, Franson, Gardiner, and Komi with Holzer, Percy, and Blacker also waiting for their turns. The ones that should go to make room are Komi, Gunnar, and Liles. Gunnar has good value so does Liles so moving them shouldnt be too hard but Komi not so much. Gunnar would be replaced by Percy but hes not ready yet so there is time there. Holzer replaces Komi as the 6-7d.
Ideally we also sign Schultz to push out Franson if he can or even Suter to solidify the top pairing. Also we should not be trading the #5 as it could potentialy be a #1 c. And believe me whenI say Gardiner should not be going anywhere. What Burke shoud do is ship out the dead weight and bring up some of our kids. If he does anything major it should be signing Suter or Parise and maybe trading for a short term veteran #1 or even gamble on Vokoun.

Last edited by LeafsYoungGuns: 05-18-2012 at 04:47 PM.
LeafsYoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:49 PM
MuchoMacho

For center I would target:

1. Eric Staal
2. Ryan Getzlaf
3. Joe Thornton

E. Staal or R. Getzlaf for 1st, Gardiner, Colborne/Kadri

J. Thornton for 1st, Schenn, Kadri

For goalie I would target:

1. Roberto Luongo
2. Tim Thomas

Luongo or Thomas for Kulemin + Ben Scrivens or Jussi Rynnas

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($4.250m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Matthew Lombardi ($3.500m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m)
Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Tim Connolly ($4.750m) / Colby Armstrong ($3.000m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.600m) / David Steckel ($1.100m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)
Cody Franson ($0.840m) / Korbinian Holzer ($0.605m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,981,667; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,318,333

(this is with Komisarek in the minors)

This is a very soft line up, but next season the Leafs could toughen up once Lombardi, Armstrong, MacArthur and Connolly are off the books. Them alone is 14.5 million. The following year's roster could add two gritty wingers on the second line and if Lupul isn't resigned add a grittier left winger to the top line and add veteran roll players to the third line instead of guys like Connolly.

I think the above line up is good enough to make the playoffs and perhaps past the first round. Enough to save Burke his job and get him a couple more years.

Flame away (:

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:49 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

TOR Gets:
Jordan Staal
Paul Martin

PIT Gets:
Joffrey Lupul
Luke Schenn
Tyler Bozak

Does this work, or do any of the teams have to add?

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
If above does not work, kick the tires on Getzlaf and if he is available, go hard after him:

TO ANA:Joffrey Lupul/5th overall

TO TOR:Getzlaf

WHY: OK, I know I am about to get flamed by my fellow Leaf fans, but you have to give up something to get something back, right? If Selaane retires, the Ducks need a top six forward. They get that in Lupul, and a high pick for the future. Welcome back, Lupul.

Is it an overpayment? I'm not so sure. Lupul excelled last year, but no one saw that coming. I think you trade him now when his value is high and you can get a stud C in Getzlaf. This deal would obviously hinge on Getzlaf signing an extension. Getzlaf and Kessel (and maybe even Lupul) together? Yes, please.
Anaheim says no. Hell no.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Straight up proposals from Leaf fans never seem to work out, so I'd like to flip things around.

1) #1 goalie (at least one that can start for 2-3 years while Reimer/Scrivens develop)
2) #1 centre
4) Veteran defense-man

For those teams willing to shop a player that fills one of our needs, what would you want coming back?
I'll meet all of your needs from the Sharks.

1) Niemi
2) Joe Thornton
3) Ryane Clowe
4) Doug Murray

You can have the entire package. The #5 would need to be coming back, plus probably some additional players, picks, prospects. Along the lines of say Kuleman, Kadri, Gunnarson, MacArther (mostly for cap, don't really want him that much), Mueller, Colburne, etc. (NOTE: I am not saying all of that, just along the lines of those players)

Come up with a package you think fair, and as long as it's decent, I would take it.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:18 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I'll meet all of your needs from the Sharks.

1) Niemi
2) Joe Thornton
3) Ryane Clowe
4) Doug Murray

You can have the entire package. The #5 would need to be coming back, plus probably some additional players, picks, prospects. Along the lines of say Kuleman, Kadri, Gunnarson, MacArther (mostly for cap, don't really want him that much), Mueller, Colburne, etc. (NOTE: I am not saying all of that, just along the lines of those players)

Come up with a package you think fair, and as long as it's decent, I would take it.
Sold.

Niemi, Big Joe, Clowe and Murray for #5, Kulemin, Gunnarson, MacArthur, Mueller and Colborne.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Sold.

Niemi, Big Joe, Clowe and Murray for #5, Kulemin, Gunnarson, MacArthur, Mueller and Colborne.
It's close, but I think the Sharks are being underpaid a bit (not a lot, just a bit). If the Sharks were to add a prospect like Ferriero, or a late pick (4th or 5th), could they add Kadri to the lot?

Old
05-18-2012, 07:20 PM
PenguinTommy

Gardiner + 1st for Staal + 2nd

???

EDIT: Obviously it's with Staal's extension with Leafs !

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Xelstyle

Oh dear lord. How long will this retool take?

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:23 PM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
It's close, but I think the Sharks are being underpaid a bit (not a lot, just a bit). If the Sharks were to add a prospect like Ferriero, or a late pick (4th or 5th), could they add Kadri to the lot?
I'd never take that package if I were Sharks GM.

Seriously..

SoulReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

What would you give us for Niemi and Clowe?

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Lupul and Gardiner are also untouchable
I'd say Lupul is available. Given that our 5th overall is looking very well like we'll be taking Forsberg, combined with the season Lupul just had, means that he has huge trade value and the Leafs could replace him relatively quickly if Forsberg pans out.

That said it's risky but gotta give to get.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
TOR Gets:
Jordan Staal
Paul Martin

PIT Gets:
Joffrey Lupul
Luke Schenn
Tyler Bozak

Does this work, or do any of the teams have to add?
Toronto would need a prospect or pick. Taking on Martin and his huge contract, coupled with Komisareks is...well..yikes.. is the easiest way to put it. At the end of the day Staal is UFA in one more season and that leaves Toronto without Lupul, Schenn, Bozak (who is honestly not that bad a player, needs more finish but he always seems to work with whoever he's put with) and a whole lot of money to pay Martin.

As far as needs previous poster had it right.

#1 Center
#1 Goalie
Size up front
Veteran leadership (imo just because if you go back and listen to the guys doing interviews they'd talk of catching Boston and taking the division lead and all that, they didnt know how to temper themselves through the season and didn't know how to pick themselves back up during the horrendous losing slump)

San Jose looks like our best trading partner imo.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:30 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Morrow for Bozak+Gunnarson?
or
Morrow for Liles?
I would be ok if either one of those trades was to happen.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'll be the idiot who says this...

The Leafs don't need to retool and make a big splash, they just need some character role players and some vet leadership. That's really not that difficult to pick up if they have cap room.

Once they get that, then just rebuild the system to a more current explosive style (maybe a 2-3) and they are on their way. Does that mean they'll make the playoffs? Maybe - maybe not. But it let's them build their team and their prospects mixed with character guys who can fit in the locker room.
I agree fully.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Stay the current course. We can't be competitive with a quarter of our cap hit tied up in LACK anyways. Wait a couple years for all of them to be off the books. Aim to strongly compete in 3-4 years time. There are a couple players I wouldn't mind being traded for, but they are not over the hill players and would contribute now and in the future. In regards to most players, if you can't get them for free (UFA), don't bother (yet).

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Bonesy99

Jordan Staal would be a good fit in Toronto, the only thing is I do not know if he is a true #1 center. He is more talented then what Toronto has for sure. And can only make the PK better. He can score big goals, and has developed a wicked wrist shot.

Maybe ( I like both teams and really hate Komisarek)

Staal + Martin

for

Kulemin + Gunnarson + Komisarek?

I know pens fans and myself do not want komisarek...

But my rational to this is..

Toronto gets a big center (adds both size and skill to their top 6), and gets rid of that horrible contract that is Komisarek. Either way you look at it, Martin brings much more to the table then Komi...

The penguins add a solid winger to help deepen an already pretty deep offense. And adds a very reliable defenseman who I think is massively underrated. They komisarek who is very useless in the system BUT he makes 500k less and has one less year on his deal. So he can be a 6/7 D man for the next two seasons. The salary of the young guns on the pens D more then balances out Komisareks horrendous contract.

A D of

Orpick Letang
Michalek Gunnarson
Despres Lovejoy
Komi

is not bad and has an excellent first passer on each line. Komi can tag in for a few minutes a game here and there till his wasted money is gone.

A combined 8.825 mil is coming to pitts while 9 mil is going out the door. This is also adding one contract to the team. This would create more money to dish out if the pens needed to replace Staal by free agency.

The leafs would get an upgrade on Bozak to say the least. Staal is capable of scoring 60 points and was on pace for 40 goals this year seeing limited PP time and being one of the pens leading PK'ers. Give him top end talent and he could potentially reach ppg status. He adds grit and size to the leafs smaller offense. And both teams can agree that as bad as Martin has been for the penguins he is most definitely an upgrade on Komisarek who pretty much can only hit now a days and is not very good at that.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:16 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:

2) #1 centre
4) Veteran defense-man

I'm not a Leafs fan and I have a different opinion of what they need. If I was going to fix the Leafs this off season, this is what I would try to do.

1. Offer Suter $8 million per year for 8 years. Defense is by far the most important piece that the Leafs lack, I don't care that the have an abundance or # 4,5,6 d-men, they need an elite #1 which would then make Phaneuf an elite #2 an so forth.

2. Sign Chris Kelly ar $3 million per year for 4 years. Yes, I know he is not a #1 center, the Leafs don't have trouble scoring, they have trouble keeping the puck out of their net. Kelly on the 3rd line facing all of the opponents top lines will instantly make the overall team D better, he will also improve the Leafs pitiful PK, another sore spot for the Leafs.

3.Kick the tires on every goaltender out there, Lungo, Thomas, whoever. If the price is right, add one of them.

4.Keep my 1st round picks, I repeat, Keep my 1st round picks unless someone is offering an elite player like Malkin, etc.

In my opinion that would put the Leafs in the playoffs without giving a lot. The Leafs are not in position to be moving any player who is valuable and they are not going to get a #1 center without moving several of their best pieces.

The Leafs need patience to let their prospects develop and the willingness to bury salary like Komisarek if they can't trade him.

I just see this season as an important one for the Leafs and Burke, it looks like Suter is going to be available as an UFA and Burke just needs to outbid everyone, this is the player he can build the team around. Burke has his chance to really improve the team in the offseason. He has no excuse for not going after Suter, if Suter decides to take less money to go somewhere else there is nothing Burke can do about it, but Burke can offer the best salary. If Burke doesn't get Suter because he didn't offer enough money, the next thing I would do is fire Burke.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:43 AM
goldy2266

To Toronto:
Staal (obviously signed to an extension)
Martin
Tangradi(or draft pick)

To Pittsburgh:
Shenn
Armstrong
2012 first round pick

Toronto doesn't touch their top six forwards, they trade from a position of strength and Burke has ties to Tangradi it also addresses the size issue Toronto has. As for Martin you get a top 4 D that did not fit with Pittsburghs run and gun style of play. Martin would be a far better fit in a structured system. That being said I'm not sure what the Leafs system will be this coming year.

For Pittsburgh they get a shut down defender/crease clearing presence a reliable bottom 6 forward that there familiar with in Armstrong and a high draft pick to get help down the road (1-2 year wait).

I think this would make both teams better.

goldy2266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Beerfish

The Leafs are in a tough spot if those are the holes to be filled. To get a true #1 tender and a true #2 center is just very expensive and I'm not sure they have the assets to pull it off without creating holes elsewhere.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReaper View Post
I'd never take that package if I were Sharks GM.

Seriously..
Well, luckily you're not the Sharks GM. But then, neither am I (that you know of).

It's simple, I want to get rid of the Sharks 3 slowest players (JT, Clowe, Murray) and I want to add some more young players and I want cap space to try and go after a top free agent like Suter or Parise.

If we could manage to sign Suter, I would then ship out Dan Boyle for more picks, prospects, or young players.

A line up of:

(Parise?? or MacArthur) - Marleau - Havlat
Kuliman - Couture - Pavelski
Galliardi - Kadri - Wingels
Mueller or ?? - Desjardins - ??

Vlasic - Burns
Gunnarson - Boyle (or Suter, or Demers)
Brad Stuart (??) - Braun

Even if the Sharks couldn't add a top UFA (entirely likely) I would still rather have the young talent. Add whatever they can get with the #5, #17, the #55, and what they could possibly get for Boyle, and their prospect pool starts looking a whole lot better.

They may not be near locks any more to make the playoffs, but they barely were this year and I would rather not continue to decimate the prospect pool and young talent while Doug Wilson thinks that adding just one more guy with a Stanley Cup ring (no matter how bad or useless) is what the team needs to get over the hump.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I'm not a Leafs fan and I have a different opinion of what they need. If I was going to fix the Leafs this off season, this is what I would try to do.
No team, especially the Leafs, should pay Chris Kelly 3m. He's a nice player who had his career year, but I wouldn't want to be the GM to pay him for his 1 great season that the Bruins got out of him.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote