HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kerry Fraser calls Brown a diver

Old
05-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Tortfesor

vCash: 500
Kerry Fraser calls Brown a diver

Link to TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396253

"I have always admired the quiet leadership and aggressive, hard-hitting play that Dustin Brown has demonstrated throughout his NHL career, similarly to how I described Chris Neil of the Ottawa Senators in a previous column. Last night, the similarity between Brown and Neil did not just end with these admirable characteristics but also in a successful effort to draw a penalty by embellishing the push/shove of the stick by Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Brown's reaction was not proportional to the force exerted by Ekman-Larsson but was rewarded with a power play in a city where Oscar's are given for outstanding performances. Dustin Brown's was not that deserving in this case.

For tough, hard-nosed players such as Brown, Neil and others, it is most unbecoming when they employ this tactic. It does harm to their reputation and they join an undesirable list of known offenders when their embellishment causes embarrassment to the referee and the game. Once a player skates down the slippery slope of embellishment, I can assure you it causes every referee to question that player's honesty when determining a legitimate foul. I would have to suspect that previous history and reputation had something to do with the embellishment penalty that was assessed to Dustin Brown in Game 2 after taking a hard slash to the back of his knee from Mike Smith."

Tortfesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Shellz

In other news, the sky is blue!

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:35 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Go comb your hair, Fraser.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Perro

Fraser's articles always pander to whatever fan base writes in. If a kings fan wrote in and said how offside Tippett was, I am sure that Fraser would be writing about how big the players are, and how little surface area a skate balde covers, so it is easy to knock people down. So what looks like diving isn't.
He was a useless ref, and is a useless writer.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:46 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Fraser's articles always pander to whatever fan base writes in. If a kings fan wrote in and said how offside Tippett was, I am sure that Fraser would be writing about how big the players are, and how little surface area a skate balde covers, so it is easy to knock people down. So what looks like diving isn't.
He was a useless ref, and is a useless writer.
He was one of the better refs and he is a good writer. He's also not the only impartial hockey person to sat Brown was embellishing. Dreger and Jamie McLellan both said the same thing today. Before people say these guys all hate the Kings or have agendas, don't. He embellished but with a good degree of subtelty and that's why a penalty was called.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Pucknut50

It took this long for the NHL to realize D. Brown is a diver? Us Kings fans have known this for quite awhile now. Here's a clue for the teams out there, don't cross check Brown after he agitates you. As a coach I would tell my players hey we know what Brown does so control yourself hit him clean and hard. Guys like Neil, Burrows, Kesler, Smith, and many others who embellish you have to turn the other cheek and be patient on when to knock them on their ass. Dustin Brown is now in their heads exactly what he wants to do.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:33 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Fraser
I can assure you it causes every referee to question that player's honesty when determining a legitimate foul. I would have to suspect that previous history and reputation had something to do with the embellishment penalty that was assessed to Dustin Brown in Game 2 after taking a hard slash to the back of his knee from Mike Smith."
Or it could be that one of the refs felt Doan's call just prior to that was unfair in that the fact that it had drawn blood made it an automatic 5 / game misconduct, so they were just evening it up, in their eyes. We ALL know it happens. How is that ANY LESS DISHONEST than a player who embellishes?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

My takeaway here is, if Fraser is thinking this, you know that it's on the minds of current NHL refs.

That's what made it easy for Brown to be called unfairly when Smith slashed him.

Has Brown ever embellished? I'll plead "no contest" on that. But the plain truth is that Brown is one of the very best at drawing opponent penalties even without "embellishing."

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Wooty

His article means 1 thing:

NHL Referees are unable to call the game based on the rule book and what is happening on the ice

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:50 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Ok, this is not news. I don't see how this is suddenly the topic of the day after 3 1/2 rounds. If the refs have enough sense to falsely call Brown for embellishing on the Smith slash based solely on his history, then they should have enough sense to not call a penalty on OEL on that play. See what I did there? If you start letting a players history determine a call, then you're not calling the play on the ice.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
It's his way of getting back after 93.

Fraser, like any ref, has the power to call dives. They never do. Maybe if there was ever consequences for diving, people wouldn't do it.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He was one of the better refs and he is a good writer. He's also not the only impartial hockey person to sat Brown was embellishing. Dreger and Jamie McLellan both said the same thing today. Before people say these guys all hate the Kings or have agendas, don't. He embellished but with a good degree of subtelty and that's why a penalty was called.
I was not arguing the fact that Brown was embellishing. Too be honest I agree with most of what he wrote in the article. I read Fraser's column on TSN frequently and I have yet to see him not agree with the letter being sent in.
As far as a reffing goes, I never liked when Fraser was in the game. He has made some good baslie calls, but I never liked how he could somehow tend to make the games have a spotlight on him. Refs are there to facilitate not be part of the game.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:44 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Water still wet?

FrozenKing18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:48 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It's his way of getting back after 93.

Fraser, like any ref, has the power to call dives. They never do. Maybe if there was ever consequences for diving, people wouldn't do it.
Exactly. If you start giving teams power plays when their opponents dive, I would think the problem would clear up right-quick.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Unfortunately, the disingenuous "Brown is a diver" meme is blowing up all over Twitter today.

The insinuation is that Brown is a cheater, which is a massive misrepresentation of a genuinely humble guy who always both gives and takes his licks on the ice and never whines about it.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:33 PM
tantrum4*

I'm surprised this question hasn't come up more often with twitter and all other sources of online media, but what ever happened to the NHL fining players for diving and announcing it publicly to basically try and ridicule them in front of the hockey world and make them stop? I think they did it for one year and Avery got dinged a couple times, and then it just quietly disappeared. Why not bring it back?

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:34 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

I wonder if he ever called Crosby or Sedin one as well, or is this just him trying to stay relevant during the playoffs?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:38 PM
tantrum4*

Actually, it's still in the rulebook. Why the hell aren't they doing it anymore??

Quote:
64.3 Fines and Suspensions - Regardless if a minor penalty for diving / embellishment is called, Hockey Operations will review game videos and assess fines to players or goalkeepers who dive or embellish a fall or a reaction, or who feign injury. See also Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline. The call on the ice by the Referee is totally independent of supplementary discipline.
The first such incident during the season will result in a warning letter being sent to the player or goalkeeper. The second such incident will result in a one thousand dollar ($1,000) fine. For a third such incident in the season, the player shall be suspended for one game, pending a telephone conversation with the Director of Hockey Operations. For subsequent violations in the same season, the player’s suspension shall double (i.e. first suspension – one game, second suspension – two games, third suspension – four games, etc.) See also Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:01 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Fraser - don't you think the refs may have been looking the other way given the embellishment penalty abortion call on Brown from the prior game? Referees are old school. They like to handle things on the ice, and I guarantee you that if Brown had flopped all over the ice like a beached whale last night, the LAST penalty they would be calling on Brown was for diving.

There IS a difference. Drawing a referee's attention to a penalty that has occurred is a different form of embellishment than the Ryan Kesler version of diving without provocation. You may not like either, but clearly the refs are fine with Brown drawing attention to an infraction or Brown would get called for diving more often.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:11 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

I think I can get banned from the internet as a whole if I put out what I REALLY think of Hair Gel Fraser...

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Wooty

This is only an HFBoard issue.

If the Canucks fans did not act like it really was important, nobody would bother them about it. Kesler is not really that fun nor interesting. It is more fun to watch the Canucks fans defend him as if it was something important.

You end up with this hilarity of tweaking them for their team diving (like they are really the ones doing it), then tweaking them for supporting divers, to full circle teasing them for even engaging you.

You want a conversation to stop? Stop talking.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:27 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

It's funny, only Kerry Fraser and Tippet are complaining about the embellishment, with Fraser actually using the dive word. and yet most of the media is calling it a smart play at drawing a call.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:10 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
I'm surprised this question hasn't come up more often with twitter and all other sources of online media, but what ever happened to the NHL fining players for diving and announcing it publicly to basically try and ridicule them in front of the hockey world and make them stop? I think they did it for one year and Avery got dinged a couple times, and then it just quietly disappeared. Why not bring it back?
The league stopped because the NHLPA had an absolute meltdown over it.

The players union didn't like the diver list.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

When I first saw this thread title, I thought it read "Colin Fraser calls Brown a diver"

whaaaa...?

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:25 PM
onlyalad

Brown is playing some of his best hockey ever and I think it is because he basically stopped the "diving". Maybe not completely but I have noticed it much less

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote