HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Amnesty: Pronger vs Bryz

View Poll Results: NHL Amnesty: Pronger vs Bryz
Pronger 23 27.38%
Bryz 61 72.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 500
if its like the nba amnesty, couldn't we stash it til next offseason then use it? It would make this decision so much easier if that's the case.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
TheKingPin

I'm not sure how anyone can have zero confidence in bryz turning it around. Understand he may not be the best in peoples minds but still.

Guy comes from a small market to one of the biggest in easily the most pressured position here and falters. But he doesn't immediately falter he does after the first 4 games after he had a bad one and the media got on him. He rebounds a few times and has a game with a bad goal and the media gets on him and he sucks again. Them he puts up one of the best goaltending months in NhL history as he blocks the media out. He then got hurt and showed a bit in the playoffs but still made some tremendous saves....if he doesn't make that letang save we lose the series. He was our best player against the devils.

All signs point to him playing better next year. He needs to harden up a bit and he will. And he's not even getting paid that much per year and I believe when he retires his contract will come off the cap anyway.

If you want to amnesty someone it has to briere. Resign him after if you want

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:06 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Of course all signs point to him playing better next year, there really is no way but up from where he is currently at.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I'm not sure how anyone can have zero confidence in bryz turning it around. Understand he may not be the best in peoples minds but still.

Guy comes from a small market to one of the biggest in easily the most pressured position here and falters. But he doesn't immediately falter he does after the first 4 games after he had a bad one and the media got on him. He rebounds a few times and has a game with a bad goal and the media gets on him and he sucks again. Them he puts up one of the best goaltending months in NhL history as he blocks the media out. He then got hurt and showed a bit in the playoffs but still made some tremendous saves....if he doesn't make that letang save we lose the series. He was our best player against the devils.

All signs point to him playing better next year. He needs to harden up a bit and he will. And he's not even getting paid that much per year and I believe when he retires his contract will come off the cap anyway.

If you want to amnesty someone it has to briere. Resign him after if you want
I agree with everything you said about Bryz. No need to buy him out after one season. Let him have some more time before calling him a major bust.

About the bolded, the last time they bought players out I believe they were not allowed to sign with the same team that year. They had to play a year somewhere else.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:14 PM

I wouldn't buyout Bryz. He'll turn it around this year.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:50 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
forgot Briere in your poll options.
Really? Do you still think Briere is a liability?

Briere could sit at home all season for all I care as long as he plays like he does in the playoffs.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:51 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I wouldn't buyout Bryz. He'll turn it around this year.
He turned it around last year.

Post all-star stats were very good.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
He turned it around last year.

Post all-star stats were very good.
I agree. He's not the finished article though. He'll figure out the press, handle the pressure and be the decent/good goalie we need.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Codith

Bryz isn't the problem, he will find his consistency. We need to kill another big contract if we do use it, so Briere/Kimo

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:17 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Bryz isn't the problem, he will find his consistency. We need to kill another big contract if we do use it, so Briere/Kimo
Kimmo has one year left on his deal.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:52 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Bryz has a career 2.52 GAA and a career .915 save %.

He posted 2.48 and .909 this year.

Really not sure what some of you are expecting next season. Other than more anger and rage.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:21 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Bryz has a career 2.52 GAA and a career .915 save %.

He posted 2.48 and .909 this year.

Really not sure what some of you are expecting next season. Other than more anger and rage.
Career numbers:

Ryan Miller: 2.57 and .915
Jonathan Quick: 2.30 and .916
Cam Ward: 2.74 and .910
Thomas Vokoun: 2.55 and .917
Jimmy Howard: 2.41 and .917
Mikka Kipprusoff: 2.45 and .914
Kari Lehtonen: 2.71 and .914
Marc-Andre Fleury: 2.68 and .909

Bryz is cast in the same mold as these starting goaltenders. Plus he played for a pretty weak team for most of his career.

He won't turn into a Roy/Brodeur/Tim Thomas over night but he can be solid for us.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I can't believe anyone would pick Bryz over Pronger.

At least one of the guys is on the ice.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:18 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

When it comes to the majority of opinions on bryz a lot of flyers fans are simpletons. they expected him to unrealistically come in here and become bernie parent part 2 (failing to recognize that bernie himself sucked and had to adjust at one point in his career). things take time and as a hockey fan on this forum i was surprised that people reacted like that as quick as they did (there was a "bryz aint worth his contract" thread set up in october). bryzgalov has sucked at times and has been great at times the latter happening more frequently towards the end of the season which indicated to me he was adjusting quite well. we need to play a lot better defensively if he is to take his game to an elite level tho. no goalie can play consistently great hockey on a bad defensive team which is why i am holding out hope that one of the greatest defenseman to ever play the game in pronger comes back regardless of his age for at least a season or 2. so i'm praying for no amnesty on either of these guys. i'd do the briere thing tho.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:16 AM
KaraLupin
카라

The Stanley Cup is won in the playoffs. As long as Flyers have no problem making those said playoffs, Briere is one of the most deserving on the team of a big contract.

If players signed separate contracts for the playoffs, Briere still gets one of the highest paid pieces of paper..

There isn't going to be an amnesty clause anyway.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

But Pronger's contract (the thing in question) isn't really a problem as he'll be LTIR for its entirety.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

I have a question, if you were to amnesty briere, once his contract is up can you amnesty someone else or how often can you do it

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:57 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
The Stanley Cup is won in the playoffs. As long as Flyers have no problem making those said playoffs, Briere is one of the most deserving on the team of a big contract.

If players signed separate contracts for the playoffs, Briere still gets one of the highest paid pieces of paper..

There isn't going to be an amnesty clause anyway.
He scores big goals no question but no way his money can't be better used for a guy like parasie. You would take a trade of briere for praise any day. Or suter for that matter.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:53 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
I have a question, if you were to amnesty briere, once his contract is up can you amnesty someone else or how often can you do it
There is no answer since the amnesty option doesn't even exist yet. There are just rumors that it may be part of the next CBA, and no one knows what kind of guidelines it will contain.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Oh fair enough, and why wouldn't there be an amnesty clause who would be against that? I know the people of Montreal would fork over Gomez's money by them selves

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
But Pronger's contract (the thing in question) isn't really a problem as he'll be LTIR for its entirety.
Not necessarily. First of all, in the summer his cap hit counts. Secondly, other players who had bad concussions have returned. Look at what a mess Bergeron was and he came back. So if he wants to return and is capable, he'll be back and suddenly that's $5 million back against the cap.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Not necessarily. First of all, in the summer his cap hit counts. Secondly, other players who had bad concussions have returned. Look at what a mess Bergeron was and he came back. So if he wants to return and is capable, he'll be back and suddenly that's $5 million back against the cap.
Savard still hasn't and he'll probably never return.

Bergeron was young. Pronger is 36 (?) and could affect him more.

With that said, if Pronger does come back having a guy who plays25-30 minutes in all situations as captain and a great defenseman is a great thing and you won't find a player to cover that.

To find a goalie who sucks is very easy to find.

From an outside point of view, Bryzgalov should be the amnesty buyout.

Flyers player's are all young, or youngish.

Draft Subban, draft Vasilevski (or just one). In the mean time sign Harding. He won't cost as much as Bryz and the Flyers could probably sign another depth defenseman to block shots to help Harding out.

The Flyers' team is very impressive. Bryzgalov, his antics (though funny) does not help.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:10 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Savard still hasn't and he'll probably never return.

Bergeron was young. Pronger is 36 (?) and could affect him more.

With that said, if Pronger does come back having a guy who plays25-30 minutes in all situations as captain and a great defenseman is a great thing and you won't find a player to cover that.

To find a goalie who sucks is very easy to find.

From an outside point of view, Bryzgalov should be the amnesty buyout.

Flyers player's are all young, or youngish.

Draft Subban, draft Vasilevski (or just one). In the mean time sign Harding. He won't cost as much as Bryz and the Flyers could probably sign another depth defenseman to block shots to help Harding out.

The Flyers' team is very impressive. Bryzgalov, his antics (though funny) does not help.
Sure he's older but he said it was his first concussion. That's why he didn't recognize the symptoms. So it's not out of the question that he doesn't recover sometime in the next 5 years.

Old
05-21-2012, 06:40 AM
KaraLupin
카라

I think Pronger has probably had a handful of concussions over his career, and he didn't think anything of then. Just that now they have piled up so much that his brain really is in jeopardy. Given how bad his symptoms have been, I woud just stay away from the game. It's not like Crosby or Bergeron, where they were able to diagnose and recover from each one.

But on the other hand, if Pronger's concussion really is his first or second one, maybe he can make a full safe recovery, I am a doubter though...

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:21 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
I think Pronger has probably had a handful of concussions over his career, and he didn't think anything of then. Just that now they have piled up so much that his brain really is in jeopardy. Given how bad his symptoms have been, I woud just stay away from the game. It's not like Crosby or Bergeron, where they were able to diagnose and recover from each one.

But on the other hand, if Pronger's concussion really is his first or second one, maybe he can make a full safe recovery, I am a doubter though...
Bergeron was a mess for months. He talked about having to lie in a dark room and have no noise etc. I agree that Pronger must have had concussions before, every player las been in that boat but he never had the symptoms. So if he's ready in a year or 2 and he wants to return, they'd have no choice but to re-insert him into the lineup. How much will he have lost by then? He wouldn't be playing 25 min a game, and he'd be even slower. A lot of this depends on what he wants, not want the team wants, unless they amnesty him. There is lots to think about with all 3 guys, that's for sure.