HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings sign Damien Brunner (1 year for $925K)

Old
05-18-2012, 06:17 PM
fimoknete

vCash: 500
is one fabian brunnstrom not enough? do we need more of them? what about getting some player what improve the team NOW instead of not or maybe in 5 years.
ok, he is good in this league. but this is not the nhl. i would bet cleary would be the super star in this league.
no thx. no more fringe player. we got 3 and a half lines full of them.

pls ken holland, get some player we really need. dont waste your time and energie on searching for panice moves.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:27 PM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
is one fabian brunnstrom not enough? do we need more of them? what about getting some player what improve the team NOW instead of not or maybe in 5 years.
ok, he is good in this league. but this is not the nhl. i would bet cleary would be the super star in this league.

pls ken holland, get some player we really need. dont waste your time and energie on searching for panice moves.
Unless he knocks socks off at camp or something he'd obviously be playing in GR for a while. Close to zero risk signing guys like this. Fact that he starts out in GR could keep him from signing though.

Depth is not a bad thing.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Bench
Realgud!

The risk is that this guy gets time in the minors "developing" that could be spent on somebody else.

I know that's not a significant risk, but it would still irk me if he didn't pan out ala Brunnstrom.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:30 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
The risk is that this guy gets time in the minors "developing" that could be spent on somebody else.

I know that's not a significant risk, but it would still irk me if he didn't pan out ala Brunnstrom.
Brunnstrom panned out - just not in the league we expected him to.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:

I agree in a sense, but on the other hand, are there really that many dynamite prospects in GR he'd be taking significant time away from?

At worst, he knocks off someone like Jamie Johnson or Chris Minard (or others of that ilk); guys that are already in their 30's and have no future with this team anyway. We know they like to stock the roster with extra bodies (IE non-Wings prospects) in GR as it is, so it might as well be someone who may still have a glimmer of NHL potential.

I won't lose sleep if they don't get him - after all, we "won" the Ville Leino sweepstakes and look how that turned out - but I still wouldn't mind giving him a chance anyway just for the heck of it. As I said earlier; if he doesn't pan out, swap him for a pick or something. Not the worst thing in the world.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:57 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

If he was sent to the minors, I think it's likely he'd go back to Switzerland

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:30 PM
VM1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
I agree in a sense, but on the other hand, are there really that many dynamite prospects in GR he'd be taking significant time away from?
Exactly. We're hitting the bottom of the cupboard as far as prospects go. None of them are surefire success stories, but we're down to Nyquist, Tatar, Pulkinnen, Jurco, and Smith to be our stars some day. Nyquist is likely to be up full time this year and Tatar will be spending a great deal of time up in the big club, too.

There's not really a risk of taking development time away from valued prospects. We need to restock, and if we can do that with Euro signings and tryouts instead of waiting for drafts, let's do that.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:57 AM
ChadS

I really don't understand why people are comparing Brunner and Leino to Brunnström, since he has close to nothing in common with them. Fabian had basically played two NHL seasons before he came to Detroit and in one of them he was over a half a point per game.

I think he could be pretty good if he gets one season to get used to the new culture both on and off the ice. So the Wings won't probably get him because some team will offer him a roster spot for next season.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:35 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneHakanPlease View Post
I know he's obviously been horrible this year, but I think Leino's PPG playoffs a few years back show that he could be effective when used correctly. To me his failures stem from personal motivation/laziness and incorrect use rather than devloping improperly. He didn't look much out of place his first few games in NA
He is a below average skater and a streaky player. When things don't go well for those guys they have prolonged slumps. Think Hudler a year ago, Brad Boyes is another great example.

What intrigues me about Brunner is that he has NHL speed, no question about that. He might not have the hands that Leino has but he has a much better compete level and could see him actually fitting in on a third line while he earns more minutes.

Even though a lot of people are piling on Brunnstrom, He isn't finished yet my opinion, because he has solid measurements and good skills to go along with the fact he has a productive NHL season on his resume.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I really don't understand why people are comparing Brunner and Leino to Brunnström, since he has close to nothing in common with them. Fabian had basically played two NHL seasons before he came to Detroit and in one of them he was over a half a point per game.

I think he could be pretty good if he gets one season to get used to the new culture both on and off the ice. So the Wings won't probably get him because some team will offer him a roster spot for next season.
Talk to Dallas fans about Brunnstrom and you'll get the real story to his time there. The guy is, flat out, a liability with the puck. For every nice play he makes, you'll have 3 turnovers. NHL defenders eat him alive. Nobody is denying his skill with the puck, but he's not quick enough or strong enough to play his brand of game in the NHL.

15% of his goals came in his first game. What more can you say about that? One hit wonder.

Old
05-19-2012, 05:02 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Talk to Dallas fans about Brunnstrom and you'll get the real story to his time there. The guy is, flat out, a liability with the puck. For every nice play he makes, you'll have 3 turnovers. NHL defenders eat him alive. Nobody is denying his skill with the puck, but he's not quick enough or strong enough to play his brand of game in the NHL.

15% of his goals came in his first game. What more can you say about that? One hit wonder.
Yea I know the story. I just mean their situations are completely different, so it's weird to compare them. Also, I don't know if Brunnström had any other offers on the table than Detroits, so would've he been "KHL-bound" if the Wings didn't give him a chance?

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Yea I know the story. I just mean their situations are completely different, so it's weird to compare them. Also, I don't know if Brunnström had any other offers on the table than Detroits, so would've he been "KHL-bound" if the Wings didn't give him a chance?
Their situations are different now. People are using Brunnstrom as an example of an older, unsigned European player that had a dozen teams trying to woo him to sign. And the end result of all these signings is a marginal talent who typically wants NHL ice time despite having done nothing to earn it.

Brunnstrom signed with Dallas because they promised him he'd play in the NHL immediately. He showed some glimmer of promise (for like 3 months) then disappeared into an AHL player. The Red Wings were smart at the time, in 2008, not to promise him NHL minutes.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:45 AM
primoremix

Damien Brunner to the Red Wings?

http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey/...id1934770.html

It's in german. It says there's three teams still interested but from the US, it's known that his choice is the Red Wings.

primoremix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:54 AM
theodred

decision

Blick.ch a swiss newspaper told that Brunner made his decision for the red wings, blick is a Boulevard newspaper, so it's Not 100% Sure but it's likely to happen.

theodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Chris 84

on that note....

http://www.freep.com/article/2012062...medium=twitter

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM
XO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post

so just because of Brunnström you dont want to go after the top players still in Europe? atleast give him the chance to prove himself before judging. In my opinion he have everything to succeed in NHL. If not offensively; I still believe he could be useful in other roles.

I'd be very happy if he signed with Detroit.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:40 AM
ZetterBurger

Good

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:00 AM
kerjuxaxaxa

This guy has tremendous speed. Curious to see what he can do on the Helm's wing.

kerjuxaxaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tigre View Post
so just because of Brunnström you dont want to go after the top players still in Europe? atleast give him the chance to prove himself before judging. In my opinion he have everything to succeed in NHL. If not offensively; I still believe he could be useful in other roles.

I'd be very happy if he signed with Detroit.
Exactly. At this point it's pretty low risk with a potential high reward.

Hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Shoalzie

Not doing cartwheels over it but they do need more speed. In his mid-20s, he's past development stage...it's more about fine-tuning his game at this point. I see him as a 3rd liner.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

The way I see it, he's Jiri Hudler's replacement. Could potentially be much more useful than he was.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
The way I see it, he's Jiri Hudler's replacement. Could potentially be much more useful than he was.
We all thought that about Leino too.

Ricelund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:08 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
Wrote it on the trade boards and I agree. Don't know about more useful but a lot cheaper. Doesn't affect any other signings so it's all good.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Wrote it on the trade boards and I agree. Don't know about more useful but a lot cheaper. Doesn't affect any other signings so it's all good.
If he has better wheels than Huds and equal or better hands, I think he'd be an improvement in some ways. But I'm not getting ahead of myself expecting 25 goals or anything like that.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:39 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

IMO, this guy will be battling for a roster spot, not filling in for Hudler.
He probably goes back to Switzerland if he does not make the team.

I think Nyquist is more likely to replace Hudler

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote