HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Should Tambellini be fired?

View Poll Results: Should Tambo be let go
Yes 118 54.38%
No 28 12.90%
Not sure 9 4.15%
give him another year or two 62 28.57%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Chooch

vCash: 500
If we're getting a new coach we might as well go for a fresh mindset as a whole and get a new GM. Both of Tambellini's coaches failed, he's gotta be held accountable at some point. There is no reason to renew his contract. I've got to admit, management on other teams that do poor never get away with it as much as the management on the Oilers do.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Yea, but trading all your NHL quality players for AHLers and prospects is a recipe for disaster as we've seen the last 3 years.
I think it's been a looooooooooooong time since we've seen NHL quality players. Probably since the last time we made the playoffs.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:50 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
Me and you could have done the same job for 1/10 his salary.

Like I said
Not even close. For example, I doubt you or me pulls the trigger on Gilbert for Schultz and that is working out great so far. Either of us would probably have given a 2nd or so for Smyth and jumped on the first package offered to Penner. Like him or not, the guy knows how to rebuild a team.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
^^^^

"He risked everything on it" on Cam Barker. A bit dramatic, dont you think?
Maybe. But listening to Tambellini talk about the Barker signing after it happened made me furious, and just thinking about it raises my blood pressure. In fact, listening to him discuss any of his moves usually leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth (I haven't listened to his presser on the Renney dismissal mostly for that reason).

The entire hockey world new that the Oilers defense was terrible. They had come off a season where Theo Peckham was on the top pair and Vandermeer and Foster were permanent fixtures. It was clear that group wasn't anywhere near good enough. Tambellini's solution to that problem was to trade Foster for Sutton (another 6/7 guy) and to sign Cam Barker and Corey Potter (who they pretty much said at the time was signed to help out OKC). So if not Barker, what was he banking on being the solution on D?

05-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Eddy Oiler*

kamus who is that incredibly gorgeous woman in your avatar? Meghan Fox?

Eddy Oiler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:08 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If he takes Yakupov, then no, I would not fire him. I'm willing to give him 1-2 more years. If he panics and ends up compromising our pick because he can't find a d-man any other way, then yes. Fire his ass.
Why wait until his incompetence costs us something as important as a first overall pick ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Tamby's a good rebuilder.
good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Maggie the monkey could lead an NHL team to a 30th place finish.
Yup.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

He should be. He's run out of scapegoats and his future rests on the fortunes of his next coach.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:45 PM
jbean

I will give Tambo up until christmas time. If he fails to do much in the off season and the Oilers are well out of the playoffs by then, then I think you have to give him the axe. The rebuild (in my mind) is officially over after this off season. We are not "rebuilding" anymore, rather we are now trying to build up what we already have. We have most of a stellar core in place. It is Tambo's job to fill out what we already got rather than try and get elite players in the first few selections of the draft. If we don't have a team that has a shot at the playoffs by christmas time, then Tambo hasn't done his job and he should be fired.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Psychoil

Iunno if anyone caught this, but jay onrait was on the team 1260 today and he voiced his displeasure with oiler management. He is originally from edmonton so he's an oilers fan. But he basically said upper management has been making mistake after mistake and he thinks front office should be cleaned soon.

He's right too, just the way they've been handling things lately has been a traavesty. When you sign guys like barker, belanger and eager, you better know what you're getting with them

Either way, I agreed with alot of what onrait said.

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

I think we commited to a rebuild and changing the gm right now is a bad move. Lets she how the plan that was put in action pans out before we start blowing it up already. Do we fire Tambo for a different gm who is not patient and starts moving out some of the young stars because he has a win now philosphy, and we end up back where were were 3 years ago re-doing it all again. Next season is the gm evaluation Imo, if the Oilers are still treading water at that time it all falls on management.

Last edited by Oilmageddon*: 05-18-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
Iunno if anyone caught this, but jay onrait was on the team 1260 today and he voiced his displeasure with oiler management. He is originally from edmonton so he's an oilers fan. But he basically said upper management has been making mistake after mistake and he thinks front office should be cleaned soon.

He's right too, just the way they've been handling things lately has been a traavesty. When you sign guys like barker, belanger and eager, you better know what you're getting with them

Either way, I agreed with alot of what onrait said.
Jay Onrait... is one... is one of us...?!

My day. It has been made.

I believe that there have been many mistakes and missteps on the front, but I think the worst thing we can do mid-rebuild, or at least at the tail end of it, is fire the architect before the building's complete. Lest we have to start this again.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:41 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
As long as Tambi calls Yakupovs name at the draft then I still believe in his "rebuild" plan.
If he plans to trade the pick..hes terrible, if thats the only way he can actually fill the holes on this team then he is a terrible gm..

All the trades hes made so far have been a gigantic "meh"
Except the Penner trade, that was a Solid-very good trade..unbelievable actually if Klefbom becomes a top four defenceman on this team, cuz Penner, that guy has issues

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

IMO if we finish bottom 5 next year Tambo is shown the door. Same thing if we don't make the postseason in '13-14.

05-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
As long as Tambi calls Yakupovs name at the draft then I still believe in his "rebuild" plan.
If he plans to trade the pick..hes terrible, if thats the only way he can actually fill the holes on this team then he is a terrible gm..

All the trades hes made so far have been a gigantic "meh"
Except the Penner trade, that was a Solid-very good trade..unbelievable actually if Klefbom becomes a top four defenceman on this team, cuz Penner, that guy has issues
Agreed, if all that he can do is fill holes with high picks then he sucks at his job. I've always felt that the core would come from high picks, but he should be able to fill in the blanks via trade, UFA, or drafting outside of the 1st round. You NEVER trade elite talent to fill a few positions of need unless those players are also elite talents.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO if we finish bottom 5 next year Tambo is shown the door. Same thing if we don't make the postseason in '13-14.
Nevermind bottom 5. If we aren't playing meaningful games in the final week of March, Tambellini should be let go. I'm so sick of hearing about "the process". If Tambellini's process is having 4 consecutive lottery picks then he's just terrible. I understand that it might take 5 years to build a contender...but it shouldn't take 4 years to build a playoff team.

I've said this before. I don't know if Tambellini is the problem yet...but I have little faith in him being the solution. While I wouldn't consider it much of an upgrade, I'd actually prefer Lowe over Tambellini. I never had a problem with KLowe before the summer of 2006 when he fell in love with the players that got us to the final.

If I'm Katz...I let Tambellini go now. If it was going to happen, it would have already though. He'll get an extension.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Nevermind bottom 5. If we aren't playing meaningful games in the final week of March, Tambellini should be let go. I'm so sick of hearing about "the process". If Tambellini's process is having 4 consecutive lottery picks then he's just terrible. I understand that it might take 5 years to build a contender...but it shouldn't take 4 years to build a playoff team.

I've said this before. I don't know if Tambellini is the problem yet...but I have little faith in him being the solution. While I wouldn't consider it much of an upgrade, I'd actually prefer Lowe over Tambellini. I never had a problem with KLowe before the summer of 2006 when he fell in love with the players that got us to the final.

If I'm Katz...I let Tambellini go now. If it was going to happen, it would have already though. He'll get an extension.
I expect us to be drafting 8th-12th next year, if we are drafting bottom 5 then I would consider next year a monumental failure. Say what you will about him but his GMing/plan has netted us 3 elite talents for building blocks. That said he needs to start looking to other avenues besides the draft with trades being the best option at this point IMO.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Hoogaar23

Personally, I'm happier with 30, 30, 29 and Hall, Nuge, Yak than I would have been with 3 seasons at 20-25th and whatever players we would have gotten at those spots.

The last 3 years have sucked as a fan, but I'm optimistic about our future. They said they were going to rebuild and it would take a few years. IMO, he did what was asked of him so far. I can't imagine they are aiming for another top pick next year, so like many have said, unless the team shows progress next year, he should be canned (unless his boss tells him he wants Mackinnon too, in which case, beuh)

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I expect us to be drafting 8th-12th next year, if we are drafting bottom 5 then I would consider next year a monumental failure. Say what you will about him but his GMing/plan has netted us 3 elite talents for building blocks. That said he needs to start looking to other avenues besides the draft with trades being the best option at this point IMO.
We all know what Tambellini needs to do. How much faith in him do you have to actually complete these trades? His history isn't overly impressive. When picking Ryan Jones off waivers is one of your best moves in 4 seasons with a team, you probably aren't getting the job done.

I'll give him credit for blowing the team up and I'm not being sarcastic. Ewanyk for Staios was good. O'Sullivan for Vandermeer was good. Taking advantage of that loophole where buying out Nilsson actually made us GAIN cap space was pretty cool. Grebeshkov for Curtis Hamilton was good considering he was asking for way too much money.

...but when does he start to build the team back up? Any one of us could have lead this team to three consecutive 1st overall picks so I give him little credit for not screwing that up the Hall and RNH picks. The best players he's acquired have been gimmes.

Who has he brought in?

Schultz for Gilbert? Jury is still out. I like it so far though.
Potter extension? Not a fan.
Sutton? #7 Dmen aren't really worth talking about.
Belanger? He's been a bust.
Hordichuk? Good signing.
Eager for 3 years? We saw why we were his 5th team in 5 years.
Smyth? I liked it.
Barker? Terrible
Cogliano for a 2nd? Didn't mind it at the time.
Penner for Teubert and Klefbom? Won't know how good this is for a few years. Depends on Klefbom.
Foster? Didn't really work out.
MacIntyre? I'm a fan so I liked it.
Vandermeer? Bringing him in was good. Letting him go was bad.
Fraser? He was almost useless
Whitney for Visnovsky? On paper it was even. Whitney's injury history makes it a regrettable trade.
Potulny? AHLer that managed to score some goals for us with more ice time than he deserved. Can't complain.
Kotalik? Had a great 10ish games.
O'Sullivan? One of my least favorite Oilers of all time.
Claiming Boulerice? That was kind of embarrassing at the time.

Did I miss any?(Probably). I don't know about you but I'm but very impressed

Edit: Ewanyk for STAIOS was impressive. Not Stamkos. That was a pretty had typo.

Last edited by Wheatking: 05-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The biggest issue with Tambellini is the reputation that he's cultivated for this franchise. Normally, I wouldn't give a crap about opposing fans on some message board mocking the franchise and declaring five more years of lottery picks (after this one) but when "experts" on television start saying that the Oilers are still a long ways away... I take notice and start to get worried.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:00 AM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The biggest issue with Tambellini is the reputation that he's cultivated for this franchise. Normally, I wouldn't give a crap about opposing fans on some message board mocking the franchise and declaring five more years of lottery picks (after this one) but when "experts" on television start saying that the Oilers are still a long ways away... I take notice and start to get worried.
Are those the same "experts" that said that Ottawa would be battling for 1st pick. Or the same "experts" saying the Oil should trade down or pick for need. "Experts" are opinions and all opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. After watching the Devils band of no name Dmen being on the cusp of the finals I'm convinced if Tambellini signs 2 real NHL Dmen and the further maturation of our youth the Oil are much closer than what the "experts" would have you believe.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Are those the same "experts" that said that Ottawa would be battling for 1st pick. Or the same "experts" saying the Oil should trade down or pick for need. "Experts" are opinions and all opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. After watching the Devils band of no name Dmen being on the cusp of the finals I'm convinced if Tambellini signs 2 real NHL Dmen and the further maturation of our youth the Oil are much closer than what the "experts" would have you believe.
Like you I believe that we're two defencemen and a bounce back year from guys like Hemsky away from making a push for 8th... but after summer after summer of disappointment I'm not going to hedge any bets on any positive changes happening.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:19 AM
jbean

The problem with evaluating Tambo is that all of his signings/trades have for the most part involved scrap parts. There have been a few bigger trades that I would call even (except for the Penner trade, but if LA wins the cup this year I think they would make that trade again purely for Penner's playoff performance so far) and besides that Tambo has more or less sat on his hands and has also been involved in a number of PR fiascos. There really isn't much reason to believe he is a quality GM so unless he proves me wrong I think we should get rid of him sooner than later before he tries something desperate to keep his job. He was the right man to get three superstars for us but I think that will end up being about all he will be remembered for.

I think a new GM would go a long ways in giving the organization a new image. The new arena, several young super stars, and new management could change Edmonton's fortunes when it comes to signing free agents.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:36 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Like I said earlier this year, the "reinstatement" of Lowe as GM is inevitable. It will happen right after the Oilers draft MacKinnon or Jones next year. The Tambellini era will be forgotten and Lowe will be given the reigns to build a contender.

Or at least that's the plan.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I really, really, REALLY hope that all of you MacKinnon/Jones folks are wrong. If we're drafting that high next summer then this incarnation of the Oilers is never, EVER going to be a winner.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:46 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
The problem with evaluating Tambo is that all of his signings/trades have for the most part involved scrap parts.
Which I guess is what we would expect if Tamby is only going through the motions of trying trying to improve the club because his actual plan is to finish last and pick first. I like three of his moves so far (Staios and Cogliano for decent picks, and Jones for free off the wire).

Quote:
There have been a few bigger trades that I would call even (except for the Penner trade, but if LA wins the cup this year I think they would make that trade again purely for Penner's playoff performance so far)
Agreed. I'm not sure why this board is so sure Tamby won the Penner trade.
Many veteran posters on this board speak highly of Klefbom, which is certainly promising, but at this stage he's a bird in the bush.
LA is going to win the SC .... damn right they'd make that trade again. For now, Lombardi wins that deal, not Tamby.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote