HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NY will be BETTER next year

Old
05-19-2012, 12:47 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

vCash: 500
NY will be BETTER next year

Just remember boys and girls that this team is going to improve next season.

Obviously it would be great if the team skates into the finals, but at this point I am very satisfied with NYs effort so far this season despite what transpires during the Devils series.

I think you can expect great things from the NY Rangers over the next few seasons.

I for one am looking forward to a rising tide of talent

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:01 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I agree -- I think the team will be good for the next few years. We definitely need to add some scoring depth in the offseason either via free agency or trade.

05-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Dactyl

i dont know i think they overachieved a little this year but regardless i expect home ice next year

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I think we're just a few depth players away from really putting a strangle hold on things. Here's to not blowing the cap and years of re-tooling on a first line superstar we don't need.

That's my only concern going forward: can Sather keep his shotgun holstered and be smart long enough to see this come to fruition?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I agree -- I think the team will be good for the next few years. We definitely need to add some scoring depth in the offseason either via free agency or trade.
why not through the draft??? look at the Flyers and Wings, they find some gems either in the draft and as undrafted young UFA...id rather do that than overpay for someone who is a big time UFA

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
why not through the draft??? look at the Flyers and Wings, they find some gems either in the draft and as undrafted young UFA...id rather do that than overpay for someone who is a big time UFA
We wanna win the Cup in 2012-13, not 2014-15. Let's face it we're in "now" mode.

That being said, I'm the last guy who wants to mortgage the future for a big UFA, but whatever signings or trades we do make should be with winning the Stanley Cup in mind.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:17 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Of course through the draft is a possibility. But in order to utilize Henrik in his prime (which is these next few years), we will need scoring right away. It doesn't really matter how they get it actually, but we need offense.

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:23 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I would say that NY doesn't really NEED more scoring from NEW players they need to IMPROVE the scoring they have on the current roster.

As it stands they are good enough to make the Eastern finals with a pop gun offense.

I prefer NY to stay the course and develop more players, then look to make trades rather than sign UFA contracts. I think Slats does a fairly good job on the trade front.

With Anisimov, Stepan and Hagelin all needing a resign at the end of next season I don't see how the math adds up to continue throwing money at high priced free agents, lest we forget Mr Redden still pulling in major bucks in the AHL, the Gomez contract and Drury's piece of the cap next season as well. Thats not to mention Del Zotto and even Stralman probably worth retaining.

I am very satisfied with Richards and Gaborik pulling in the big bucks but I honestly don't think NY benefits from bringing in another big contract when the younger core players need to be resigned.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:54 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
You know I really can't look at next year. The time to win is this year, I don't think the Rangers could have a better path to the cup than they do THIS YEAR. I believe all the teams the Rangers match up poorly against are out, even with the Kings hot I think the Rangers have a very good shot against them.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:58 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Every year fans of teams insist (especially young ones) that their team will get better.

You'll here that McD and MDZ will get better with a full yr under their belts. Erixon, JT Miller, Mcilrath, Erixon, Thomas will push for spots. Anisimov and Stepan will only get better with age. Staal is healthy. Dubi will have a better season. Will Chris Kreider really become a that monster left wing that many think is inevitable??

Hopefully all true..

But new seasons have new challenges. Injuries to Richards, Gabby or Henrik can make this team fight it out for the 8th seed.

Point is, its great when you have hopes that 5 or 6 players will be better with the coming of a new season, but... You'll always get slammed with the two or three who get worse, or.. Just don't get any better.

You just hope the 2 or 3 aren't in that core group. And that out your 5 or 6 hopefuls/prospects, 3 of them make an impression and show that they are pro material.

But, I happily will be on that boat too and admit. The new NY Rangers look like a team being built, like a team. And for that, I am finally grateful.

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 05-19-2012 at 07:20 AM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Giacomin

This team is good now!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Cognitive dissonance is an incredible thing. The same people who kill Sather for his past going after big names are the same people who now want to bring in new big names.

This team will be a contender for years to come without any new big names. It'll score more too. Look at the young core who will add more O and expect a bounce back year for Dubi. We might have an elite O pretty soon without a big name ufa

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

the rest of the league is going to be better next year too.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:24 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Cognitive dissonance is an incredible thing. The same people who kill Sather for his past going after big names are the same people who now want to bring in new big names.

This team will be a contender for years to come without any new big names. It'll score more too. Look at the young core who will add more O and expect a bounce back year for Dubi. We might have an elite O pretty soon without a big name ufa
Regarding Nash i agree. That would have been and would still be an awful trade. Up there with the Esposito trade.

However, if they signed Parise and swapped out a guy like Gaborik who apparently can't get motivated for a Conference Final game, wouldn't be in line with old mentality.

For a couple of reasons.

It would just be a salary swap, for a younger player.

And he fits the identity of this club perfectly.

If we can't get Parise in that situation it would benefit the club.

Otherwise, i agree, i hope for no other big moves. Not even trading Dubinsky. Dubinsky had a bad year in the scoring department. But he's still a big part of this club. And we are missing him in the lineup right now. He's a big part of our forecheck, board play, puck possession, and penalty kill.

He should bounce back next year with a 20 goal, 40-50 point season.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:51 AM
blue425

Short answer: Yes. Yes they will.

Long answer: Almost every major cog in the machine has either:

A- Just entered their prime.

Or

B- Have not entered their prime yet.

So yes, I do not think it unreasonable to be excited about this groups future.

That being said:

IT'S GAME DAY ****ERS! GO GET THAT WIN.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:57 AM
frankthefrowner

Enough of this horse **** about next year. We are in the conference finals this year. Lets all get the tampons out of are vaginas and man up here worry about today at 1pm. You dont know what next year will bring! Back in 2006 i said "wow the mets are gonna be good for a long time, with wright and reyes"...well needless to say you strike while the iron is hot and the iron is scolding ****ing hot right god damn now.

Victory!

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
gotta add scoring for sure, hopefully without trading away key pieces to do it. if anything, Sather is the man for the job.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:51 AM
satrabyk

Yes we have a great foundation here, but dont assume next year will be better, im happy with this teams play, but there is no reason we should not beat the Devils in the series. They have a good team. Henrique kid is very good but we have the better team all around and should beat them. LA will be another story, and size might be a problem there, i hope Dubi could come back fresh is we make to that series.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:11 AM
NikC

You have to be happy for NOW and appreciate what this team has/is accomplishing, because it's situations like this that will provide experience for future sucesses.

The reason this team took a step forward imo was both Hank and the defense improving within the defensive structure of our coach's system.

We have timely, opportunistic scoring but struggle too much in the offensive zone. They can barely score 2-3g, even when desperate.
We've gotten away with it up to this point, but time will tell if we can get past NJ. I think they will. I don't see the point in trying to go forward this way.

We have only 2 top 3 forwards. That simply is not enough! If you want to move Gaborik for a player that fits our system more that's fine, but you need bring in a Parise, or whomever in addition to Gaborik.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:14 AM
BroadwayHustle

Thats the great thing about the season, no one thought we would be in this position. Even entering this year I was excited, but I was going crazy thinking about all the talented young players getting chances at roster spots next season. Playoff hockey is great, and still I am looking ahead to seeing the roster we put together next season.

BroadwayHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:16 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
the rest of the league is going to be better next year too.
that's clearly not true.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:17 AM
jmb9191

This is dumb gaborik will not give us the same season Henrik will be hard pressed to duplicate this season, and then everyone is gonma wanna get paid. Thought this with the 2010 jets, they failed again, and now theyre done. Same w 06 mets. Gotta win now always

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Honestly, and I think many of you will agree with me, we won't win the division again next year. This division is too tough to keep winning the division. Although the team will be better, not necessarily another 109 points, but it will be better.

Once you get into the playoffs, it's playoffs, and this team has gained a ****load of experience and it'll be a joy to see them next year.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:21 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Just remember boys and girls that this team is going to improve next season.

Obviously it would be great if the team skates into the finals, but at this point I am very satisfied with NYs effort so far this season despite what transpires during the Devils series.

I think you can expect great things from the NY Rangers over the next few seasons.

I for one am looking forward to a rising tide of talent
TB was better also. every year is different.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

I doubt the Rangers will be better next year. They wouldn't give up a 1st for Gaustad and trade 1/2 the roster for Nash. How can the Rangers improve without trading anyone?

Seriously, I am not sure how they can improve all that much over last year. Chances are the Rangers can be a better team, the younger players mature and their record may not be as good. That is ok though. They have the 4th youngest team in the NHL. They just get a piece or 2 and the sky is the limit for this group. It really is exciting thinking about the future, like I have never seen before.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote