HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Desharnais, a really good 2nd line center?

Old
05-18-2012, 11:44 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
He and Kesler would make a fantastic 1-2 down the middle...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Habs Junkie

I've given my opinion many times on Desharnais and quite a few of you seem to hate me for it. But the one and only way you should look at the question of Desharnais being a good 2nd line center is: Where would he fit on the LA Kings? Does he even make it on the team?
Answer that, as a true Habs fan who's priority is a cup champion team, and you'll get your answer if Desharnais is a good 2nd line center or not.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Andros777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
I've given my opinion many times on Desharnais and quite a few of you seem to hate me for it. But the one and only way you should look at the question of Desharnais being a good 2nd line center is: Where would he fit on the LA Kings? Does he even make it on the team?
Answer that, as a true Habs fan who's priority is a cup champion team, and you'll get your answer if Desharnais is a good 2nd line center or not.
Of course he'd be on the team. It would be hard for him to overcome the prejudice against his size, but the only one I'd bet on outscoring him, based on this year's stats, would be Kopitar.

Why should he have to show that he'd make this particular contending team in order to show that he'd make a good second line center? If he'd played second line center on the Rangers their already good team would benefit from it, if we compare Stepan's stats to Desharnais'.

If centers should be judged on whether they would play a top six role on "last year's" Stanley Cup winning team, how many of LA's obviously excellent centers would have played on say, the Pittsburgh Penguins? Just because Mike Richards isn't going to displace Crosby or Malkin doesn't mean he isn't an excellent top six center. But he might not even have replaced Staal.

This is my opinion, and I don't think this is a sensible or fair way to judge whether or not Desharnais is a good second line center.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:33 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
we have a very poor top 6 , winning nothing with this crap we have
We need top6 wingers, not more centers.

Its fairly obvious methinks. I think people are so used to *****ing about our centers from past years that they forget time changes.

Current lineup -

Pacioretty (awesome) - Desharnais (good) - Cole (good)

Bourque (inconsistant as ****) - Plekanec (good tw forward) - Gionta (will he come back as good as before?)

Moen? (decent 3rd line player) - Eller (good 3rd line center) - ????

If we acquire a free agent that can bump Bourque to the third line we are going to have a much stronger lineup. If we have a working PP we should have no offense problem. Hopefully Gallagher is near NHL ready so he can help in case of injuries to our top6.

If anything these playoffs show that top end offense isn't a necessity to contend.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:36 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
Of course he'd be on the team. It would be hard for him to overcome the prejudice against his size, but the only one I'd bet on outscoring him, based on this year's stats, would be Kopitar.

Why should he have to show that he'd make this particular contending team in order to show that he'd make a good second line center? If he'd played second line center on the Rangers their already good team would benefit from it, if we compare Stepan's stats to Desharnais'.

If centers should be judged on whether they would play a top six role on "last year's" Stanley Cup winning team, how many of LA's obviously excellent centers would have played on say, the Pittsburgh Penguins? Just because Mike Richards isn't going to displace Crosby or Malkin doesn't mean he isn't an excellent top six center. But he might not even have replaced Staal.

This is my opinion, and I don't think this is a sensible or fair way to judge whether or not Desharnais is a good second line center.
Totally flawed response my friend

the Pens have the 2 best centers in the game . Stall has the size , grit and hands to be that shut down big # 3 center all teams crave .

He should be a 2 on most teams but can perfectly play the upper echelon #3

on the Kings , Kopitar is solid # 1 , Richards is an ideal #2 and Stoll # 3

is Richards a #1 to displace Crosby ..no but the has the game for his role a #2

The midget has no role , he isnt a true #1 on any team ( remember he produced by default on a weak team )

he can`t play that gritty Richards or Brindamour productive # 2
who shuts you down with leadership skills

he isnt a legit # 3 checking Stoll type with grit and size who can brang

he cant be a #4 these are your Shawn Thornton tough role players who play 10 minutes a night or the soon to be Ryan White of the Habs

he can play in this league but you win **** with him on a top 6 , plain and simple

if you guys watching these playoffs cant see it , and what we lack in leadership , grit , character , warriors , etc... especially with our top 2 centers

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 05-18-2012 at 05:29 PM.
onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:44 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup
if you guys watching these playoffs cant see it , and what we lack in leadership , grit , character , warriors , etc... especially with our top 2 centers
Desharnais probably has a lot of these qualities in huge quantities.

He has the second best offensive vision of the team except Markov. It would be foolish to throw him away.

''The midget has no role'' except to be the center of our first line. Try again next time.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
He and Kesler would make a fantastic 1-2 down the middle...
With Kesler, you get a similar player to Plekanec. He's not the PPG, 40 goal scorer some Canucks fans think he is. He's not a legit 1st line center either.

Personally, for what Gillies would ask, I rather keep Plekanec - DD - Eller.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:42 PM
habitue*

Quote:

the Pens have the 2 best centers in the game . Stall has the size , grit and hands to be that shut down big # 3 center all teams crave .

The midget has no role , he isnt a true #1 on any team ( remember he produced by default on a weak team )

he cant be a #4 these are your Shawn Thornton tough role players who play 10 minutes a night or the soon to be Ryan White of the Habs

he can play in this league but you win **** with him on a top 6 , plain and simple

Put DD on the market now, and 20 teams will jump on him to play on one of their top-two lines.

How many centermen got more points than DD last year.

Wake up and smell the coffey, man.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 05-18-2012 at 05:29 PM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Put DD on the market now, and 20 teams will jump on him to play on one of their top-two lines.

Desharnais is good on faceoffs, and has consistently been so throughout his career.
60 point centers don't grow on trees, and I must add that DD still has room to grow. If he starts taking more shots at the opportune times, this guy could maintain a 60 point season without needing Pacioretty and Cole all of the time.

Plus, setting up the wingers takes some passing skill, and it's not as common an ability as one might think.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:19 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

THEN TRADE HIS ASS OUT OF TOWN IF HE HAS THAT KIND OF VALUE

its like the housing market , strike while its still hot

Old
05-18-2012, 08:20 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
With Kesler, you get a similar player to Plekanec. He's not the PPG, 40 goal scorer some Canucks fans think he is. He's not a legit 1st line center either.

Personally, for what Gillies would ask, I rather keep Plekanec - DD - Eller.
no team would give you Kessler for Pleks straight up

Old
05-18-2012, 08:21 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Desharnais is good on faceoffs, and has consistently been so throughout his career.
60 point centers don't grow on trees, and I must add that DD still has room to grow. If he starts taking more shots at the opportune times, this guy could maintain a 60 point season without needing Pacioretty and Cole all of the time.

Plus, setting up the wingers takes some passing skill, and it's not as common an ability as one might think.
ya bro put him with Blunden and Darche and make them players

Old
05-18-2012, 08:46 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
put dd on the market now, and 20 teams will jump on him to play on one of their top-two lines.

How many centermen got more points than dd last year.

name me the 20 teams ?

Old
05-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
If you had kopitar and Desharnais, would you trade B. Schenn and Simmons for Richards? Or would you still go get Carter but keep DD and have more depth, skill and grit at wing? To put it another way, doesn't your example of the Kings show how valuable having 3 centers with offensive skill is instead of just two? By your logic DD has significant NHL value, no?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:25 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
lol.. so I guess Kopitar sucks because he wouldn't be a top-6 center on the Penguins.

Stamkos too. Send him to the minors because he'd be the #3 center on Pittsburgh. Oh my.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:32 AM
No Style Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
If he starts taking more shots at the opportune times, this guy could maintain a 60 point season without needing Pacioretty and Cole all of the time.
I noticed several times this season, DD just didn't shoot enough. Always looking for a pass. Sometimes you just gotta shoot dude!

No Style Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

What line would Krejci center on LA or Pit.............pretty sure he won a cup last year with Boston

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
lol.. so I guess Kopitar sucks because he wouldn't be a top-6 center on the Penguins.

Stamkos too. Send him to the minors because he'd be the #3 center on Pittsburgh. Oh my.
You can interpret my post any way you like to enforce your homerism, but I never said Kopitar wouldn't make it on the Penguins. I simply pointed out that the Stanley Cup favorite LA Kings would have no room for Desharnais on their team. Neither last Year's Bruins, or the Blackhawks before that, the Penguins and the Red Wings...

My point is look at the Cup champs in recent years... Any one of those teams have a top 2 center at 5'5"? Yes it would be nice to have a French superstar on the Habs, but you shouldn't make a superstar out of an average player just because he is French.
Aren't you fed up with mediocrity? I am!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:39 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
You can interpret my post any way you like to enforce your homerism, but I never said Kopitar wouldn't make it on the Penguins. I simply pointed out that the Stanley Cup favorite LA Kings would have no room for Desharnais on their team. Neither last Year's Bruins, or the Blackhawks before that, the Penguins and the Red Wings...

My point is look at the Cup champs in recent years... Any one of those teams have a top 2 center at 5'5"? Yes it would be nice to have a French superstar on the Habs, but you shouldn't make a superstar out of an average player just because he is French.
Aren't you fed up with mediocrity? I am!
You have no idea if the Kings would take Desharnais or not, so stop acting like you do. You can't make up facts. You can have an opinion but that's all. Maybe you're right, maybe you're not but you can't possibly know that.

And no doubt he wouldn't have made the Pens or Wings a few years ago. He was still proving himself in the AHL.

And no, they didn't have any 5'5 centers. But how many 5'5 centers score 60 points in their first full season? How many 5'5 players prove that, without a shadow of a doubt, they deserve a spot on an NHL roster. And how many 5'5 centers (or forwards) finished in the top-20 in scoring?

Sometimes things go against the normal. Desharnais is one of those things. If you get me three centers who produce as much as him or go to the dirty areas as much as he does - be my guest to let him move on. But there are very few scoring forward who are as fearless as Desharnais.

Can't wait to hear your excuses after this season when he continues to put up points and be a positive to our team.

And yeah, sure I'm tired of mediocrity. Desharnais is not part of the reason we didn't win games. That relied on injuries, poor coaching, poor management, and poor performances from some other players.

Desharnais is one of the few pieces we don't have to worry about going into next season.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:24 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You have no idea if the Kings would take Desharnais or not, so stop acting like you do. You can't make up facts. You can have an opinion but that's all. Maybe you're right, maybe you're not but you can't possibly know that.
Nate, while no one can "know for sure", you're foolish if you think a team with Kopitar, Richards, Stoll (the way he's playing) and Carter gives two Fs about a guy like Desharnais.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:31 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Nate, while no one can "know for sure", you're foolish if you think a team with Kopitar, Richards, Stoll (the way he's playing) and Carter gives two Fs about a guy like Desharnais.
It's possible, but it's also possible they could have shifted Desharnais to wing. If they could get Desharnais for free, you actually think they'd say "no thanks, we're good." I highly doubt that.

Of course they wouldn't make a fair trade for him or anything - they have solid depth at the position. So it would be silly to trade fair value for him. Just like it would be silly for us to trade fair value for Jonathan Quick or Pekka Rinne.

But the way the post was written makes it seem like even if we gave LA Desharnais, they would just pass. I highly doubt that. You don't sneeze at 60-point players that easily.

Old
05-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
It's possible, but it's also possible they could have shifted Desharnais to wing. If they could get Desharnais for free, you actually think they'd say "no thanks, we're good." I highly doubt that.

Of course they wouldn't make a fair trade for him or anything - they have solid depth at the position. So it would be silly to trade fair value for him. Just like it would be silly for us to trade fair value for Jonathan Quick or Pekka Rinne.

But the way the post was written makes it seem like even if we gave LA Desharnais, they would just pass. I highly doubt that. You don't sneeze at 60-point players that easily.
Yeah, well, I guess that leaves it up to the prevailing opinion of those in the position(s) to make these things happen as to whether or not MaxPac and Cole drive his production or not, and why they'd bother bringing him in to compliment what they already have (and are trying to build), regardless.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:05 AM
sharks9

Quote:
THEN TRADE HIS ASS OUT OF TOWN IF HE HAS THAT KIND OF VALUE

its like the housing market , strike while its still hot
Completely agree. We could also get great value for Subban, Price, Pacioretty and Gorges! All those guys should be traded now before their value goes down!

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:24 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Yeah, well, I guess that leaves it up to the prevailing opinion of those in the position(s) to make these things happen as to whether or not MaxPac and Cole drive his production or not, and why they'd bother bringing him in to compliment what they already have (and are trying to build), regardless.
#23 Dustin Brown - #11 Anze Kopitar - #14 Justin Williams
#25 Dustin Penner - #10 Mike Richards - #77 Jeff Carter
#74 Dwight King - #28 Jarret Stoll - #22 Trevor Lewis
#13 Kyle Clifford - #15 Brad Richardson - #71 Jordan Nolan

That's the lines that LA is putting out right now.

With the very limited minutes that the 4th line sees, there is absolutely no chance LA would say no to Desharnais -- even if they just used him on the PP.

The 3rd line is a dirty checking line (something we very much need). It's hard to gauge right now where he would fit (it would be 4th line right now) long term but that's because of the disgusting chemistry the Kings have right now.

A few weeks ago, they would have gladly took Desharnais in a Top-9 (or even Top-6) when they were limping into the playoffs.

I know it's a bit silly to compare points between two different teams, but the only LA King to score more than Desharnais this year was Kopitar. He would also place behind only Dustin Brown & Anze Kopitar in +/-.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:27 AM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
That's ridiculous. Desharnais needs to be on the top 2 lines of a team, the Kings have 2 or even 3 guys who could be number 1 centers. On the other hand, He'd be the second line center on both the New York Rangers or the New Jersey Devils.

There's no doubt that you can win in this league with a 60+ points guy anchoring your second line, it's an asset even if you look around the league.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote