HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather & Torts failed deadline rearing it's ugly head

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2012, 10:44 AM
26KOCUR26*

vCash: 500
Sather & Torts failed deadline rearing it's ugly head

Rick Nash? cost too much - okay fine . However where was our Plan B?

Why weren't we in on Gaustad ? Kubina? A Zidlicky type ?

John Scott? this team was sucking wind the last 25 games let alone now! We had trouble keeping pace in matches with the Caps , the Isles and Canadians - it was obvious to us all.

However, Torts has this absurd idea that he needs to mold players into "his " guys before they can understand what the NYR are about blah etc blah .

Watching us shell up for a minute and 20 secs while teams pin us in and pass the puck along the blueline at will is sickening, it's gutless and it isn't hockey. I despise "weather the storm" mentality.

Chipping the puck out 500 times isn't a gameplan it's avoidance. We have 4 legit scoring threats, and I'm giving the benefit there. And now we're chipping out to a team that wants us to chip it out so they can slam it back in and forecheck the hell outta us and drill our d-men; who are stuck in mud.

At the very least you had to add a PP D-man over Bickel and an upgrade over Prust , who is God Awful.

And don't tell me "who were we gonna add" that's the GM's job - there were players to be had.

We put all our eggs in the Nash basket and blew the deadline and possibly our shot at the Cup.

Glen Sather folks - still a clown.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:47 AM
GAGLine

okay

Old
05-19-2012, 10:49 AM
NYRwillDRIVEyouCRAZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Kocur26 View Post

John Scott? this team was sucking wind the last 25 games let alone now! We had trouble keeping pace in matches with the Caps , the Isles and Canadians - it was obvious to us all.

However, Torts has this absurd idea that he needs to mold players into "his " guys before they can understand what the NYR are about blah etc blah .

Watching us shell up for a minute and 20 secs while teams pin us in and pass the puck along the blueline at will is sickening, it's gutless and it isn't hockey. I despise "weather the storm" mentality.

Chipping the puck out 500 times isn't a gameplan it's avoidance. We have 4 legit scoring threats, and I'm giving the benefit there. And now we're chipping out to a team that wants us to chip it out so they can slam it back in and forecheck the hell outta us and drill our d-men; who are stuck in mud.

At the very least you had to add a PP D-man over Bickel and an upgrade over Prust , who is God Awful.

And don't tell me "who were we gonna add" that's the GM's job - there were players to be had.

We put all our eggs in the Nash basket and blew the deadline and possibly our shot at the Cup.

...yea it's not like the Rangers are in the Conference Finals or finished first in the conference or anything. And a Jack Adams finalist has no idea how to coach. You're right, we're terrible. Give up all hope and everyone become Devil fans!!

Someone file this right next to the "this is a bad hockey team thread"

Old
05-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Strong first post.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

First off, it's not like were in the conference finalls or any thing.....
Second, would you really wanna give up a first for the Goose? Not me.
The problem with this past deadline was that there were way to many buyers, and not enough sellers. Prices were way to high for every one. I for one am glad that they didnt do any thing crazzy for a mediocre player.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:56 AM
26KOCUR26*

It's not a bad team at all , but it is lacking talent and it's lacking a killer instinct. Or is it? Could is be the team of basically 10 bottom 6 forwards and a 5 man D unit is burnt ?

Burnt because they need expend every bit of energy to get a goal or two and then hold on for life for what now - 100 games!!?

Is there still gas in the tank of this 1990 Econoline Van ? this wasn't a Jaguar to begin with.

I mean John Mitchell is a career Marlie. Rupp has played at AHL caliber all season and IMO, Bickel isn't a pro player.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:57 AM
dmjt4160

I will never ever understand why Sather didn't blow up this team at the deadline. We had no team identity, no direction for the club and were clearly heading nowhere this season yet he just decides to sit on his hands and do nothing while us fans suffer!

BRING BACK THE FIRE SATHER CHANTS!!!!

Old
05-19-2012, 10:59 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
where is Neil Smith when you need him?!!!?

Old
05-19-2012, 10:59 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjt4160 View Post
I will never ever understand why Sather didn't blow up this team at the deadline. We had no team identity, no direction for the club and were clearly heading nowhere this season yet he just decides to sit on his hands and do nothing while us fans suffer!

BRING BACK THE FIRE SATHER CHANTS!!!!
Sather had nothing to do with the identity , Torts does. Torts has actually spent 2 years correcting Sather errors.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Nope, Sather was right in this. We are in the ECF and I believe we are ahead of schedule in our Stanley Cup pursuit.

I would have really liked to have Guastad. But even an upgrade at our third line center position(which is an issue)was not going to tip us over dramatically. We still needed a triggerman for our PP, and another Winger which would not have been available.

They're were not many sellers this year due to the fact that many teams were competing for a playoff spot. Cost would have been too high for a team that has already gone deep without it.

The upgrades will come in the offseason if we fall short.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:01 AM
26KOCUR26*

Simple Question folks.

Should we have made a deal or not? are you happy with John Mitchell getting PP time?

Old
05-19-2012, 11:04 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Nope, Sather was right in this. We are in the ECF and I believe we are ahead of schedule in our Stanley Cup pursuit.

I would have really liked to have Guastad. But even an upgrade at our third line center position(which is an issue)was not going to tip us over dramatically. We still needed a triggerman for our PP, and another Winger which would not have been available.

They're were not many sellers this year due to the fact that many teams were competing for a playoff spot. Cost would have been too high for a team that has already gone deep without it.

The upgrades will come in the offseason if we fall short.
Oh you know um Dan Marino ..#13 , greatest pure thrower of a football - he said the same after losing the SB. Thought he'd be back the next year.

Never assume .

You really can live with that arrogant slob Brodeur lifting the ECF trophy at our expense? knowing all we needed was a player or two to be where he is?

I myself will be sick.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Sather had nothing to do with the identity , Torts does. Torts has actually spent 2 years correcting Sather errors.
Torts works in tandem with Sather, Gorton, Clarke. They have summer meetings, they all have a say on how this team looks.

Torts AND the players are the ones that cultivated their identity. Its Sather's job to augment that identity. I think he has done a fairly good job. Ryan McDonaugh?

I am still not sold if our system still the way to go without significant tweeks. So Torts is certainly up for criticism.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:07 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

This is where you're spending your vacation? Or is this just your self- imposed two-week rehab stint? You might want to extend it if this is the best you've got, Koc.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:10 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Torts works in tandem with Sather, Gorton, Clarke. They have summer meetings, they all have a say on how this team looks.

Torts AND the players are the ones that cultivated their identity. Its Sather's job to augment that identity. I think he has done a fairly good job. Ryan McDonaugh?

I am still not sold if our system still the way to go without significant tweeks. So Torts is certainly up for criticism.
Sather IMO is like George Steinbrenner and Clark & Torts & Gorton are Gene Michael; trying to keep him away from decisions.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:11 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This is where you're spending your vacation? Or is this just your self- imposed two-week rehab stint? You might want to extend it if this is the best you've got, Koc.
I'm sorry Sir but I know not what you speak.

Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Although, then again, you do know how to hook'em. Yeah, maybe two weeks at HF will get you back up to speed.

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Oh you know um Dan Marino ..#13 , greatest pure thrower of a football - he said the same after losing the SB. Thought he'd be back the next year.

Never assume .

You really can live with that arrogant slob Brodeur lifting the ECF trophy at our expense? knowing all we needed was a player or two to be where he is?

I myself will be sick.
First off, Sather doesn't know how far this team could go. This year, imo, was a dry run to see what this team could do within itself.

You have to put this team under stressors(many of these kids this is their first significant playoff experience)and see where the holes come. Then you make adjustments.

Comparing this to Dan Marino, who NEVER had a team built for him based on a incompetent back office is apples to oranges.

The team philosophy has been to infuse youth every year and to be patient in their development. The championship is going to come, but they want to be competitive EVERY year. The Rangers will end up becoming an Elite team, instead of a "one and done."

Old
05-19-2012, 11:12 AM
MessierIsGod

Let's see how we finish before killing Slats.

So far, we got some breaks as we don't have to play the Bs or Pens.

I have more problems with Torts' identity crap than Slats not dealing our young guys. Having 6 guys playing goalies is not an identity. It's saying we have no talent so play not to lose then pray we get a lucky goal and win.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Sather IMO is like George Steinbrenner and Clark & Torts & Gorton are Gene Michael; trying to keep him away from decisions.
How do you know this? Your just speculating.

Btw, George Steinbrenner is an owner not a GM.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:15 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Strong, strong post.

5 hours from now we'll be 2-1 in the series and planning the parade again. If a thread like this was ever going to be a good idea, it should have been saved until after the Rangers were eliminated. If we make it to the SCF this thread will look mighty dumb.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:16 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
How do you know this? Your just speculating.

Btw, George Steinbrenner is an owner not a GM.
Sather is basically the Owner , he's the GM & President . He controls all Hockey Ops while Jimbo is out playing Crossroads @ some Club in Des Moines.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:16 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I'm sorry Sir but I know not what you speak.
Oh, I am SO sorry, sir. Afterall, it's mere coincidence that this thread would have the identical form, approach and structure, as well as style to a multitude of posts that a similarly-named poster that frequents another Ranger-related board is known to start. My apologies, gold sir.

(Come home, Koc!)

Old
05-19-2012, 11:18 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Strong, strong post.

5 hours from now we'll be 2-1 in the series and planning the parade again. If a thread like this was ever going to be a good idea, it should have been saved until after the Rangers were eliminated. If we make it to the SCF this thread will look mighty dumb.
Lotta "Ifs" there, you know what they say about your Aunt and If's - in any event, "IF" we win this thing, I'll gladly take the abuse.

And I'm not saying we aren't gonna win. I'm saying it'd be more doable with a talent upgrade.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:20 AM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:
First off, Sather doesn't know how far this team could go. This year, imo, was a dry run to see what this team could do within itself.

You have to put this team under stressors(many of these kids this is their first significant playoff experience)and see where the holes come. Then you make adjustments.

Comparing this to Dan Marino, who NEVER had a team built for him based on a incompetent back office is apples to oranges.

The team philosophy has been to infuse youth every year and to be patient in their development. The championship is going to come, but they want to be competitive EVERY year. The Rangers will end up becoming an Elite team, instead of a "one and done."
Nice theory, but besides Lundqvist, I don't see 4-6 elite talent on the Rangers that can carry a franchise for at least a decade. This team will not get by a Pitt or Flyer team in the East down the road until they get real elite talent.

Closed Thread