HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather & Torts failed deadline rearing it's ugly head

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
You have no idea what deals Sather turned down..... Thankfully

I do wish we were able to rentk Salanne

05-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThereGoesGrabner View Post
Nice theory, but besides Lundqvist, I don't see 4-6 elite talent on the Rangers that can carry a franchise for at least a decade. This team will not get by a Pitt or Flyer team in the East down the road until they get real elite talent.
Dude, they have perhaps one of the best defensive corps in the league which is only improving.

They have talent developing with guys like Krieder, and Hagelin.

They will grab upgrades this offseason.

This team will look much better next year than this year.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:24 AM
MessierIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
First off, Sather doesn't know how far this team could go. This year, imo, was a dry run to see what this team could do within itself.

You have to put this team under stressors(many of these kids this is their first significant playoff experience)and see where the holes come. Then you make adjustments.

Comparing this to Dan Marino, who NEVER had a team built for him based on a incompetent back office is apples to oranges.

The team philosophy has been to infuse youth every year and to be patient in their development. The championship is going to come, but they want to be competitive EVERY year. The Rangers will end up becoming an Elite team, instead of a "one and done."
In this era of salary cap and parity, I don't think you can build a dynasty. Look at the Blackhawks and see how they couldn't keep some pieces after winning the Cup. With the teams that are left, this is about as good a chance as we have in winning the Cup. There's no guarantee that we'd be back again and certainly no guarantee that we would be the top seed remaining.

Seize the Day!

Old
05-19-2012, 10:24 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
You have no idea what deals Sather turned down..... Thankfully

I do wish we were able to rentk Salanne
I recall that day hearing and reading numerous accounts that Sather WAS SO SURE NASH WAS HIS HE SHUT OFF ALL OTHER AVENUES , he thought it was done.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierIsGod View Post
In this era of salary cap and parity, I don't think you can build a dynasty. Look at the Blackhawks and see how they couldn't keep some pieces after winning the Cup. With the teams that are left, this is about as good a chance as we have in winning the Cup. There's no guarantee that we'd be back again and certainly no guarantee that we would be the top seed remaining.

Seize the Day!
Who said anything about being a dynasty? Did I say that in my post?

The Rangers want to become like the Red Wings: a team that competes every year.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:26 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Dude, they have perhaps one of the best defensive corps in the league which is only improving.

WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL! NEWS! - Next season!

I'm 3 W's from a Cup brah! THREE!!!! I don't care about next season! I want the brass ring NOW! NOW!!!

Stop with future talk please.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:29 AM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:

And you don't think that Pitt, Philly, Wash, & NJ will improve either? Especially these teams have a better young core of players. Crosby, Malkin, OV, Giroux, Kovy, Semin, Staal, Tavares, will be in the East for a while, while Lundqvist may have 2-4 years left as an elite goalie. There is no Crosby or Malkin on the Rangers!!!

Old
05-19-2012, 10:30 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Kocur26 View Post
Rick Nash? cost too much - okay fine . However where was our Plan B?

Why weren't we in on Gaustad ? Kubina? A Zidlicky type ?

John Scott? this team was sucking wind the last 25 games let alone now! We had trouble keeping pace in matches with the Caps , the Isles and Canadians - it was obvious to us all.

However, Torts has this absurd idea that he needs to mold players into "his " guys before they can understand what the NYR are about blah etc blah .

Watching us shell up for a minute and 20 secs while teams pin us in and pass the puck along the blueline at will is sickening, it's gutless and it isn't hockey. I despise "weather the storm" mentality.

Chipping the puck out 500 times isn't a gameplan it's avoidance. We have 4 legit scoring threats, and I'm giving the benefit there. And now we're chipping out to a team that wants us to chip it out so they can slam it back in and forecheck the hell outta us and drill our d-men; who are stuck in mud.

At the very least you had to add a PP D-man over Bickel and an upgrade over Prust , who is God Awful.

And don't tell me "who were we gonna add" that's the GM's job - there were players to be had.

We put all our eggs in the Nash basket and blew the deadline and possibly our shot at the Cup.

Glen Sather folks - still a clown.
Because they are not, were not worth what they got in a trade and Sather was smart to not overpay for either of them.

You look at the failure to acquire that kind of player as a fail, I look at not overpaying for a marginal player as a smart GM not falling victim to a sellers market.

Sather may be alot of things, but when it comes to making trades, he is one of the better GM's out there.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:31 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
And you don't think that Pitt, Philly, Wash, & NJ will improve either? Especially these teams have a better young core of players. Crosby, Malkin, OV, Giroux, Kovy, Semin, Staal, Tavares, will be in the East for a while, while Lundqvist may have 2-4 years left as an elite goalie. There is no Crosby or Malkin on the Rangers!!!
People may laugh at me , do not be surprised if the NYR correct their mistake and give PA Pareteau a 4 year deal.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:32 AM
egelband

i think sather tried to make another move to upgrade the roster. but didn't feel pressure to give up too much and other gms probably were holding his feet to the fire. he didn't expect zuccarello to get hurt and did expect to have kreider. he was probably thinking one more player would be good but not critical. so he didn't break the bank. i am fine with that. would prefer another sniper, but it didn't happen.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:33 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Because they are not, were not worth what they got in a trade and Sather was smart to not overpay for either of them.

You look at the failure to acquire that kind of player as a fail, I look at not overpaying for a marginal player as a smart GM not falling victim to a sellers market.

Sather may be alot of things, but when it comes to making trades, he is one of the better GM's out there.
you want ze Cup? you "overpay" Amonte, Weight, Marchant simple as that my friend

Old
05-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
None of those teams have the defensive Corps we have and will have in the future. Pitt has some serious work ahead of them on their backend and big question mark in net.

Flyers have to figure out their goaltending issue(which would prevent them from doing anything to improve their backend based on salary).

Islanders are going to continue to be terrible and then probably move.

Your right though there is no Crosby, Malkin, OV, Giroux, Semin, Staal, Tavares on the Rangers. They are golfing right now.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:34 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
People may laugh at me , do not be surprised if the NYR correct their mistake and give PA Pareteau a 4 year deal.
You're right...people may laugh at you.

Old
Giacomin

Give me a break! The last time this team got this far was 1997 and I like our chances better this year than that year. This team will sustain a much better run than the Flyers and the Penguins in the next 5-7 years

Old
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
None of those teams have the defensive Corps we have and will have in the future. Pitt has some serious work ahead of them on their backend and big question mark in net.

Flyers have to figure out their goaltending issue(which would prevent them from doing anything to improve their backend based on salary).

Islanders are going to continue to be terrible and then probably move.

Your right though there is no Crosby or Malkin on the Rangers. They are golfing right now.
The CAPS have a nice Defense as does Ottawa as good as the NYR? no , but they are better in their 12 fwds; there's a tradeoff.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:36 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You're right...people may laugh at you.
he's a better 1st line option than anyone we have right now - tremendous hands in close.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:36 AM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:
PA would be an upgrade over Mitchell, Anisimov, Scott, Zuccarello, Rupp, Fedotenko, Prust,..etc. I'm still shocked the Rangers are this far into the playoffs with the lack of talent in the forward position.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:37 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
he's a better 1st line option than anyone we have right now - tremendous hands in close.
Parenteau is better than Richards?

Haha, OK.

05-19-2012, 10:38 AM
ck20

Quote:
Simple Question folks.

Should we have made a deal or not? are you happy with John Mitchell getting PP time?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

Relax dude, we're in the ECF. Enjoy it, it's a sport played for our entertainment. Do you have any personal, tangible, meaningful investment in this team? If they lose, will your bills not be paid? Will you not be able to eat?

Old
05-19-2012, 10:38 AM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:
The CAPS have a nice Defense as does Ottawa as good as the NYR? no , but they are better in their 12 fwds; there's a tradeoff.
Make fun of the Isles, but they are gathering a ton of talent & eventually talent breaks out massively!!

Old
05-19-2012, 10:39 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Parenteau is better than Richards?

Haha, OK.
no BR is a center , PA a wing and for the record PA had a better season by far. He's gonna land a 4 year 17-19M deal.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Rangers Fail
Free James Sheppard

Quote:
Make fun of the Isles, but they are gathering a ton of talent & eventually talent breaks out massively!!
Maybe next year, Nino will score 2 goals, instead of 1! If you're going to rush all your talent, it's not gonna work.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:40 AM
26KOCUR26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

Relax dude, we're in the ECF. Enjoy it, it's a sport played for our entertainment. Do you have any personal, tangible, meaningful investment in this team? If they lose, will your bills not be paid? Will you not be able to eat?
? that comment makes no sense, we follow the team to see them win it all, we are close , but IMO we made it hard on ourselves.

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Caps don't have a great defensive Corps outside of Alzner and Carlson. That was partly the reason Hunter was employing the trap so as to protect that backend.

Ottawa's D corps is mediocre with a couple bright spots.

The Rangers have offensive issues that will improve next year(probably significantly). Either way your impatience is amusing.

I'm usually the one that comes off as the pessimist around these parts, but I think this organization is on the right track in the long haul.

This organization might very well be moving into its "golden age" and some of you are demanding a championship immediately. Its funny.

Old
Rangers Fail
Free James Sheppard

Quote:
no BR is a center , PA a wing and for the record PA had a better season by far. He's gonna land a 4 year 17-19M deal.
He had a good season by riding shotgun with Tavares. We don't have a Tavares here.

Closed Thread