HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A way to counteract the shot-blocking - allow picks

Old
05-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Another shot blocking thread......

Last edited by Bob Richards: 05-18-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
No more leg protection for the players.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:25 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Shoot the puck harder. Aim for vitals.
Sadly, this. Imagine if you will A callious Weber and/or Chara deciding they will do anything they can to stop blocking.

How much damage could a 105 MPH puck do to a face?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Sadly, this. Imagine if you will A callious Weber and/or Chara deciding they will do anything they can to stop blocking.

How much damage could a 105 MPH puck do to a face?
no way Weber would throw that stone... something about glass houses.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:56 AM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
All these complaints and talk about shot blocking is ridiculous.
Seriously.

People arguing that shot blocking is no longer a sacrifice because of the improvement in equipment needs to take a look at the bruises on some of these players legs.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:09 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
People that claim that goaltending equipment is too big and must be reduced to increase scoring are misguided and unsure of what the root of the problem is.

Even with reduced padding, tenders would still be dominant, then it'll become a slipper slope of smaller and smaller goaltender pads.

Scoring has gone down since the crackdown on goaltender's equipment already, it's not the goaltenders equipment allowing for so little offensive chances, it's more focus upon the defensive end of the game and the coaching that is involved with it.

If you want to allow more chances, the ice surface needs to be more wide open to allow those chances. Really, the only viable solution is too increase the ice surface.

Of course, not to international size, but a nice median in between would be suffice.
I don't think my opinion is misguided and I don't acknowledge that there is a problem. I don't want to see the game change. I like it how it is now. I don't want shotblocking outlawed or the ice surface expanded. My point was that if people want to increase goal-scoring just for the sake of increasing it, making the goalie equipment smaller would have the smallest impact on the overall flow/style of play. Again, I don't want the NHL to become more like European hockey. That's just my opinion.

If anyone thinks that increasing goal scoring will increase the popularity of the sport, they may be over thinking it. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and it's lower scoring than hockey. The game is fine as it is now. The popularity would be helped by NOT making the rules more convoluted than they already are and by NOT taking away from the traditional culture of the game. If the NHL did a better job of promoting itself for what it really is - a tough sport where players routinely lay it all on the line, for example with shotblocking - they'd have better success in the U.S.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Potato Juice

Personally, I find shot-blocking to be quite exciting...

Potato Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:04 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Skill and speed. Teams need to stop loading up on two-way plugs.
+ more high wrist shots and backhand shots, two forgotten arts.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJ View Post
I think it is more about defence being easier to coach, and to play. These players are the best hockey players in the world, but more of them are better at defence than offence. (my interpretation at least). The goalies are better than they have ever been, and the game is more coached than ever.

How many times are players able to pass the puck back and forth quickly when the defence are on them like white on rice. There is no room for those plays to happen often. Players are faster, stronger, more skilled, better equipped and better coached than they have ever been.

Personally, I would like to see the nets larger. Not much, just about a 1/4" larger on either side. That would make a lot of the post shots become goals and would make the games more exciting. A tiny bit larger net will open up more shooting angles and give the skill players more options to play offence.
You mean to tell me that the worlds greatest hockey players can't adjust fast enough to expose a guy chasing the points?

Really?

Look man, coaches don't want ANYBODY taking "risks". They don't want supremely gifted players attempting gifted plays. The defenses these teams play are nothing special, and the reason why they aren't thwarted is because coaches don't allow their players to attempt "risky" plays. Keep it to the boards. Work it down low.

LOL

Why watch a game that awards a trophy to the team that makes the fewest "mistakes"?

"Safe is death"? Indeed..

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Shot blocking is awesome. It shows which teams are willing to lay it all on the line.

If next year we hit a scoring record are there gonna be threads asking how we can bring scoring down to make the game better?

I swear it's as if sports fans can't handle change, no matter which direction the change is in.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:54 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

The Devils obviously used a pick play on IK17's goal in game 2. And of course NY complained about it. Again, why are pick plays illegal in the offensive zone?????

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote