HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NY will be BETTER next year

Old
05-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
We are 3 wins away from clinching a Stanley Cup berth. I'm not too concerned about next season at the moment.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Just remember boys and girls that this team is going to improve next season.

Obviously it would be great if the team skates into the finals, but at this point I am very satisfied with NYs effort so far this season despite what transpires during the Devils series.

I think you can expect great things from the NY Rangers over the next few seasons.

I for one am looking forward to a rising tide of talent
You may be right and that's all well and good BUT there is no guarantees that we get to another ECF again.

We may have overachieved so far this year but that doesn't mean we should be satisfied with our compete level and the resulting performance in this series unless we win.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:01 PM
BlackandGold91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I think we're just a few depth players away from really putting a strangle hold on things. Here's to not blowing the cap and years of re-tooling on a first line superstar we don't need.

That's my only concern going forward: can Sather keep his shotgun holstered and be smart long enough to see this come to fruition?
Bruins fans said the same thing going into this year, and look what happened. The amazing thing about hockey is how a single bounce of the puck can determine your season at any point in the playoffs. I mean, last year the Bruins were a bounce or two away from losing in round one to Montreal, and low and behold, we won the cup. Likewise, the Rangers were a bounce or two away from losing to the Sens in round one, and were 2 bounces away, each an inch away (the bounce on Richards' stick in game 5, and Ovi hitting the post in OT of game 3), from losing in 5 games to the Caps. That's what's great about the NHL Playoffs, the parody from year-to-year.

I do think the Rangers will make a run at Parise in the offseason, though.

BlackandGold91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Vitto79

This experience makes them better for next since they are do young. Oh yes and they could be cup champs

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:50 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
We are 2 wins away from clinching a Stanley Cup berth. I'm not too concerned about next season at the moment.
Fixed

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Next year the team will be largely the same except we might have more blueline depth, with Erixon and Sauer hopefully on the team. I don't see us getting any forward rookies (except Hags and Kreider, obviously). I hope we sign Parise. If not, I hope we trade for Clowe. Dubi-AA-Clowe would be a hell of a third line, with skill, size and aggressiveness.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:23 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold91 View Post
Bruins fans said the same thing going into this year, and look what happened. The amazing thing about hockey is how a single bounce of the puck can determine your season at any point in the playoffs. I mean, last year the Bruins were a bounce or two away from losing in round one to Montreal, and low and behold, we won the cup. Likewise, the Rangers were a bounce or two away from losing to the Sens in round one, and were 2 bounces away, each an inch away (the bounce on Richards' stick in game 5, and Ovi hitting the post in OT of game 3), from losing in 5 games to the Caps. That's what's great about the NHL Playoffs, the parody from year-to-year.

I do think the Rangers will make a run at Parise in the offseason, though.
You can sure say that again. We played 2 close Game 7's that could have gone either way, really.

05-19-2012, 04:33 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Hangovers are a killer, young team or not.

Just because the Rangers are young and have Henrik, doesnt mean they will be doing this every year. Too much parity in the league.

Pittsburgh has had the most talent in the league since 2007. They lost a Cup, then won a Cup, and have been dog piss in the playoffs ever since.

Vancouver is another example. Washington, Chicago.....

Rangers will be competitive, maybe dominant, but you cant deny that there is a chance they wont be as hungry as they were this year, especially if they win the Cup.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:53 PM
GamerZX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
why not through the draft??? look at the Flyers and Wings, they find some gems either in the draft and as undrafted young UFA...id rather do that than overpay for someone who is a big time UFA
"Building through the draft" means nothing. Every team has draft picks and every team drafts players they like. We have a ton of young talent, almost a surplus. We're doing our job in the draft. Building through the draft isn't a strategy, it's something you say to placate your fanbase when you don't plan on being active in free agency.

We need another consistent 30-35 goal scorer on this team. We can't count on Dubinsky. Dump his $4 mil contract and sign Parise for $7-8 mil. He's only 27 so giving him a long-term deal isn't an issue.

If we can't get Parise, then I'd explore trading for Nash again. His price should have come down by now. I'd stay away from Semin (who's also a free agent) due to his drop in production.

Parise-Richards-Gaborik would be one of the best lines in all of hockey.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Fixed
Came back to fix it myself.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
the rest of the league is going to be better next year too.
this is categorically false

some teams will be better. NYR will be one of those teams

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:47 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

Pittsburgh has had the most talent in the league since 2007. They lost a Cup, then won a Cup, and have been dog piss in the playoffs ever since.

Pittsburgh's strategy has been to tinker with depth guys around the core players. Without their lottery picks Pittsburgh is hardly a playoff team actually.

When a star is injured or when the depth players don't follow the game plan Pittsburgh is seriously flawed. This year without Crosby was a game changer.

NY doesn't really have this problem. Yes they could lose Richards or Gaborik or even Hank, but I still think the team concept means they will challenge for a top 4 position for the next few seasons.

Its also just as likely that Malkin, Ovi or even Chara gets toasted too.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:51 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
We are 3 wins away from clinching a Stanley Cup berth. I'm not too concerned about next season at the moment.
the operative word in this sentence is "CONCERNED"

I started the thread saying NY will be better

worry or concern is not part of the dialogue

injuries aside, as they are part of hockey and are just as likely to strike other teams, NY will be better next year.

I could put it this way

I am not concerned about NY being worse next season

Old
05-20-2012, 10:01 AM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Cognitive dissonance is an incredible thing. The same people who kill Sather for his past going after big names are the same people who now want to bring in new big names.

This team will be a contender for years to come without any new big names. It'll score more too. Look at the young core who will add more O and expect a bounce back year for Dubi. We might have an elite O pretty soon without a big name ufa
I agree....except with regard to the "cognitive dissonance" thing....slight misuse.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I said a while back that this team might be a stronger team next year, even if they finish 4th instead of 1st.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:22 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Just because the Rangers are young and have Henrik, doesnt mean they will be doing this every year. Too much parity in the league.

Rangers will be competitive, maybe dominant, but you cant deny that there is a chance they wont be as hungry as they were this year, especially if they win the Cup.
If they win the cup this year I honestly won't worry about what happens next year. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:28 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
We wanna win the Cup in 2012-13, not 2014-15. Let's face it we're in "now" mode.

That being said, I'm the last guy who wants to mortgage the future for a big UFA, but whatever signings or trades we do make should be with winning the Stanley Cup in mind.
I am a HUGE build through the draft guy but I agree we are in NOW mode. In a few years our younger players will be better and will be looking at bigger contracts. With no cap space, at that point I think we should trade some of our top older talent(Gaborik, Richards) for picks and prospects and always keep the pipeline full. Out with the old, in with the younger players.

The Callahan's, Stepan's, Kreider's will fill the role of Richards/Gaborik.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Ranger Angst

Quote:

the hunger factor is so important & the eventual tuning out of Torts. This year is a perfect storm to win the cup. Who knows when it will return.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:26 PM
MessierIsGod

Dude, we are 6 games from winning it all this year. We are the top seed remaining. The stars are all lined up for us. Better next year means crap.

Stop talking consolation to yourself. Save it.

There are so many variables to winning the Cup (injuries, matchups, luck, etc) that being better doesn't mean we'd be back to at least where we are now.

In this era of salary cap, teams better take advantage of what's presented to them. Repeating is almost impossible. Even being in the semis or the finals back to back or on a consistent basis is nearly impossible.

As Hank said, the window starts closing fairly quick, we better seize this opportunity.

I remember the run we had in '79..we won the first game and up 2-0 in game 2 against the Habs..we didn't get back to finals for another 15 years.

Last edited by MessierIsGod: 05-20-2012 at 12:46 PM.
MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:49 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

nobody is saying they can't win the cup this year because clearly they can

the point is the team will be better next season which is something not often said in Rangers circles (at least for those of us old enough to know better)

94 cost Amonte for example, hardly a long term improvement. That will not be case this offseason regardless of a cup win or not.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:02 PM
tjs252

It's a catch-22.

On the one hand, you can say (and, I think I'd agree) that if this team finds a legitimate second line to ease the scoring burden on Hags-Richards-Gaborik then it'll be better.

On the other hand (and I find it compelling, but perhaps not convincing) that the team has an identity, a very gritty identity ("jam") and as you bring in more skill, that jam goes away so we get away from what's gotten here.

My conclusion? Enjoy the ride, don't worry about next year. (Though, gun to head, I'd rather add skill...if Gaborik is blocking shots, I think Torts has a system in place that players will buy into and follow).

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
broadwayblue

Winning the cup this year (or coming really close) and being better next season are not mutually exclusive. The team is very young and it's to be expected that the majority of the guys on the roster will have as good or better seasons' next year. There are really only a couple guys potentially not coming back (perhaps Feds, Bickel) and nearly everyone else should only get better. That said, let's win 6 more games and deal with next season after one heck of an enjoyable summer!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Next year's a different year.

Last year, would we say we were gonna be Cup contenders in 2012? Probably not. Look where we are now.

It can be negative next year with astronomical expectations only to get kicked out of the first or second round.

Every year's different. Who cares about next year when you can succeed now.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Pizza

These are the good ole days folks. Enjoy it folks.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
If we win the cup this season then it's impossible to be better next year. You can't be better then winning the cup.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote