HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline pt 3 - (Feb 27th at 2 PM CST) Can a brother get a top 30 forward ?

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2012, 12:07 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
As I said, these guys get paid big bucks to put up points. And yes hornqvist led the team in points all season and yes radulov was tied for the team lead in points in playoffs.
Hornqvist - I never said he doesn't produce, because we pay him well because he does produce. But is he playing to just get points and make money or did he leave all of his family at home in Sweden just to win a cup because it's been his dream his whole life? The money isn't as important so he immigrated halfway across the world just to win a cup and not because he is good player and he got paid.

Radulov and ak- same as hornqvist and same as I have said a few times now. European players can produce points and that's why we pay them big bucks to come over here from their hometowns. There are tons of elite Europeans that will produce. My point with them was simply this,
If winning a cup was more important than just $$, why in the hell would two of your most talented players screw off during a pivotal point of the playoffs when your team needs you and you should be just living and breathing playoff hockey. But instead they took their dollar bills and said screw it, let's go get wasted until 5am when we have important playoff game tomorrow, not like we are getting paid extra for playoffs.

Did you see weber, fish, legwand, suter, Klein, Wilson (who was benches half the time and would have been frustrated), gill, etc going out getting hammered and coming to a PLAYOFF game hungover? Not a chance my friend.

This thread is going off topic though, we can agree to disagree because I don't think either of us will change our minds brother. We are all entitled to our opinions.

My bottom line,
Europeans come here for dollar bills, north Americans play for dollar bills as well, but have been brought up with their siblings and parents watching NHL hockey and dreaming of winning a cup their whole lives. And it works both ways. If Shea weber went to play in khl it would be for $$$, not to win the khl championship like some Europeans may value more than birth Americans because they grew up watching it. Cheers
So Probert never went out partying during the playoffs? Carter and Richards didn't have a reputation as party boys in Philly? According to statements .... AK and Rads weren't out drinking, just out late. Never let facts get in the way of xenophobic ranting.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:11 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So Probert never went out partying during the playoffs? Carter and Richards didn't have a reputation as party boys in Philly? According to statements .... AK and Rads weren't out drinking, just out late. Never let facts get in the way of xenophobic ranting.
Your comparing probert to all stars? Lol
When did Carter and Richards ever get suspended from a playoff game?? They have carried two teams to a cup final now. (after kings stomp coyotes Sunday). Radulov walking out on an NHL legally binding contract speaks volumes alone about his dedication to NHL.
It was said ak and rads were hungover for game 2

Old
05-19-2012, 12:25 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Your comparing probert to all stars? Lol
When did Carter and Richards ever get suspended from a playoff game?? They have carried two teams to a cup final now. (after kings stomp coyotes Sunday). Radulov walking out on an NHL legally binding contract speaks volumes alone about his dedication to NHL.
It was said ak and rads were hungover for game 2
You rant about partying and dedication based on country of origin, now it matters if the players are all-stars or role players .... but only when it's NA players guilty of the same thing you complain Russians do? Laughable.

Carter and Richards were run out of Philly for their partying ways.

It's funny for how every accusation you base on ethnicity, I can find a Canadian or US born player guilty of the exact same things. Dedication to a team isn't based on ethnicity ... it's an individual thing. For every Russian who you rant about for partying, I can name at least one NA player guilty of the same thing.

It was assumed the players were hung over during game 2. Statements since then state that they weren't out drinking, just stayed out well past curfew.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:21 PM
maplepred

1. Why would they stay out at a bar until 430am if they were dead sober?
2. I'm talking about star players who can change the game for their team and their team counts on them and they make big bucks. Not a bob probert lol
3. What bad boy stuff did Carter and Richards do exactly? And I would take either over radulov, they have been to two cup finals and honored their NHL contracts and never been suspended during playoffs for being idiots because they take winning a cup serious.
4. Yes dedication is a personality thing, I'm saying on average if you are born here, watched your favorite players winning cups growing up, dreamed of it since you were a little kid sitting on your dads lap then yes, you have more of a desire to win a cup since it's all you've wanted since being a kid. If you went to Russia as a birth americaner, you are going for the cash, not because you have dreamt since being a little kid about winning the khl title. This is insane. Do you not get what im saying man?? I'm speaking English. Plain and simple. North Americans have more desire (on average) to win a Stanley cup because they grew up here wanting it their whole life.
5. My mom are European so you can cut it out with the stupid ethnicity talk, I'm not racist, just stating a fact.

Who do you think would want to live in an igloo more? A Jamaican or an Inuit?
Who do you think would want to fish the ocean for a living more? Someone living in mid land or someone who lives on the shoreline??

Quote:
You rant about partying and dedication based on country of origin, now it matters if the players are all-stars or role players .... but only when it's NA players guilty of the same thing you complain Russians do? Laughable.

Carter and Richards were run out of Philly for their partying ways.

It's funny for how every accusation you base on ethnicity, I can find a Canadian or US born player guilty of the exact same things. Dedication to a team isn't based on ethnicity ... it's an individual thing. For every Russian who you rant about for partying, I can name at least one NA player guilty of the same thing.

It was assumed the players were hung over during game 2. Statements since then state that they weren't out drinking, just stayed out well past curfew.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:20 PM
NoNecksCurse

majority of nhl players party.. as do all people.

you cant compare richards/carter being "run out of town" to radulov/ak suspension after game 2. they aren't comparable. supposedly it wasnt them partying that kicked them out of philly but a certain "incident"

Old
05-19-2012, 05:39 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
1. Why would they stay out at a bar until 430am if they were dead sober?
2. I'm talking about star players who can change the game for their team and their team counts on them and they make big bucks. Not a bob probert lol
3. What bad boy stuff did Carter and Richards do exactly? And I would take either over radulov, they have been to two cup finals and honored their NHL contracts and never been suspended during playoffs for being idiots because they take winning a cup serious.
4. Yes dedication is a personality thing, I'm saying on average if you are born here, watched your favorite players winning cups growing up, dreamed of it since you were a little kid sitting on your dads lap then yes, you have more of a desire to win a cup since it's all you've wanted since being a kid. If you went to Russia as a birth americaner, you are going for the cash, not because you have dreamt since being a little kid about winning the khl title. This is insane. Do you not get what im saying man?? I'm speaking English. Plain and simple. North Americans have more desire (on average) to win a Stanley cup because they grew up here wanting it their whole life.
5. My mom are European so you can cut it out with the stupid ethnicity talk, I'm not racist, just stating a fact.

Who do you think would want to live in an igloo more? A Jamaican or an Inuit?
Who do you think would want to fish the ocean for a living more? Someone living in mid land or someone who lives on the shoreline??
5. You're the one making blanket statements based on national origin. That falls into the xenophobic or jingoistic category ... not racist. Your contention in point #4 backs it up my observation when you make a blanket statement of supposed desire based on their country of origin. What AK and Radulov did were choices of individuals. The same as the dumb choices throughout history by Kocur, Probert, Carter, Richards, Legwand ... all individual, not based on their country of origin.

The most intelligent thing to come out of Canada on the subject.

http://blogs.canada.com/2012/05/01/n...lfish-actions/

Old
05-19-2012, 06:28 PM
maplepred

All I'm saying, and I have said this several times,
North American players grow up playing hockey dreaming their whole lives of winning a Stanley cup and watching their idols win cups and pretending they are them when playing hockey/road hockey. The idea for north Americans as well is to make money in something they love, but the dream is to win a cup like they have dreamt of ever since lacing their skates up for first time.

Europeans dream of winning a khl title or coming overseas and leaving their families and friends behind to make big money in NHL, not necessarily to win a cup (not in all cases) Just like if north American mediocre player couldn't get signed with an NHL team but a team overseas offered him a deal to play for them, he would go to make money for himself/family, not to win a khl title.

Don cherry is a very intellectual hockey man, whether you like him or not, he knows his stuff. And he has stated the same thing. Europeans are very talented players but come here for money more than glory. It's just common sense. So 'some' europeans (not every single one) may not want to win a cup as much as some north Americans due to their upbringing for most part. Only two NHL teams have ever won a cup with a European captain and both of them are Europeans with the drive to win a cup, chara and lidstrom. Some north Americans just want cash as well, but the average shows more north Americans want a cup almost as bad as paycheck due to all their child memories of wanting to win a cup and seeing their heroes locally hoist it and be so happy. That's their dream

And how can you even compare anything that happened with Carter and Richards to radulov and ak incidents? Especially being newcomers to help us in playoffs specifically.

Quote:
5. You're the one making blanket statements based on national origin. That falls into the xenophobic or jingoistic category ... not racist. Your contention in point #4 backs it up my observation when you make a blanket statement of supposed desire based on their country of origin. What AK and Radulov did were choices of individuals. The same as the dumb choices throughout history by Kocur, Probert, Carter, Richards, Legwand ... all individual, not based on their country of origin.

The most intelligent thing to come out of Canada on the subject.

http://blogs.canada.com/2012/05/01/n...lfish-actions/

Old
05-19-2012, 07:47 PM
maplepred

Back to what the thread was about, if we had to do it all over again, would you still acquire each player we acquired and paid the same price as we paid?

Would we have been better off not getting ak, goose or gill? Keeping in mind in their favor some guys were benched like Hali, toots, Ellis, etc. And would we have been better to make radulov play all of next year or was it right call to let him come back this season and serve his last season at an entry level contract by playing only nine games to make cup run this year?

Old
05-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Back to what the thread was about, if we had to do it all over again, would you still acquire each player we acquired and paid the same price as we paid?

Would we have been better off not getting ak, goose or gill? Keeping in mind in their favor some guys were benched like Hali, toots, Ellis, etc. And would we have been better to make radulov play all of next year or was it right call to let him come back this season and serve his last season at an entry level contract by playing only nine games to make cup run this year?
Hindsight is 20/20. it's easy to say "nah, dont get any, we lost anyways", but at the same time, I think Gill and AK were absolutely necessary. We needed the scoring depth and defensive D depth. Gaustad was debatable, but he came up HUGE against detroit. I have no problems with what Poile did.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Legionnaire11

I loved all of the trades when they happened, thought we had all of the pieces in place to make a legit run... still like Gill and AK46, the Gaustad deal doesn't look as good in the end but neither did the team as a whole.

If we could trade Gaustad and a 6th for Smithson and a 1st i'd be all over that deal. Even if Detroit gets Gaustad because I think we'd win that series anyway. But there's no going back, I guess the 1st will be worth it if Gaustad signs a 2-3 year deal for under $3M, but that doesn't seem likely right now.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:03 AM
maplepred

Who do you think we have the best shot at resigning? Gill, goose, or ak46?

Also, after webers comments about radulov, do you think radulov will be a predator next season? I know weber will be and there may be some tension there now.

This is going to be an insane offseason, weber rfa, radulov rfa, suter ufa, Wilson rfa, gill ufa, goose ufa, ak ufa, sk rfa, etc. Am I missing anyone?

Also, thank god rinne resigned!

Old
05-20-2012, 10:15 AM
NoNecksCurse

radulov will be traded imo if he isn't in russia.

gill, gaustad both could be re-signed. gill I think has the best shot of being here

ak, tootoo, suter will all be gone

lindback, wilson, suter's rights all have a shot of being gone by the draft

Old
05-20-2012, 10:59 AM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
radulov will be traded imo if he isn't in russia.

gill, gaustad both could be re-signed. gill I think has the best shot of being here

ak, tootoo, suter will all be gone

lindback, wilson, suter's rights all have a shot of being gone by the draft
I agree. If we can resign Gill then losing Suter won't be as bad. We'd still probably get another veteran defenseman but we need a guy like Gill to mentor our young d guys. We can't trade our young defenseman if we lose Suter and maybe Weber next year so Wilson and Lindback become our biggest trading pieces along with Suter's rights.

July 1st will be very interesting this year. Who knows who we sign, trade, or acquire as a FA. Could be a very different looking team come September.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
I agree. If we can resign Gill then losing Suter won't be as bad. We'd still probably get another veteran defenseman but we need a guy like Gill to mentor our young d guys. We can't trade our young defenseman if we lose Suter and maybe Weber next year so Wilson and Lindback become our biggest trading pieces along with Suter's rights.

July 1st will be very interesting this year. Who knows who we sign, trade, or acquire as a FA. Could be a very different looking team come September.
Gill is back in MTL and is hoping to stay there.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Gill is back in MTL and is hoping to stay there.
Any source on that? Not saying its true or not true, just curious where you got it.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:59 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Any source on that? Not saying its true or not true, just curious where you got it.
The pics I got of him sitting on his deck drinking beers from a microbrew in Montreal. It is also only about 3 hours away from both his family and his wifes family as they live down in the Boston area. His wife and kids also love it in Montreal and do not want to move as per a conversation he had with the Montreal media last season before he was traded. He also said by to Montreal in french as he left the rink in Boston when he got traded and said then he hoped to be back.

Last edited by 29dryden29: 05-20-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old
05-20-2012, 12:29 PM
NoNecksCurse

things change dryden... no offense but why would he want to go to MTL when they look to be a bottom dwellar? he must really love it there.. which im sure he does. we'll see what happen.

same with gaustad.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:19 PM
maplepred

Do you really think tootoo will not be a predator next season?

I think will be a very intense July 1st, entry draft, and offseason. Especially after last season how we let a lot of guys walk without bringing in anything much outside of bergfors, which didn't turn out so well lol. But the team was still solid this season!

Old
05-20-2012, 02:20 PM
maplepred

I think gill liked it here in Nashville,
Seemed happy, even cut in a Mohawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
The pics I got of him sitting on his deck drinking beers from a microbrew in Montreal. It is also only about 3 hours away from both his family and his wifes family as they live down in the Boston area. His wife and kids also love it in Montreal and do not want to move as per a conversation he had with the Montreal media last season before he was traded. He also said by to Montreal in french as he left the rink in Boston when he got traded and said then he hoped to be back.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Fuelled by Passion

That is getting ugly I see.

As for European playing in NHL for money. Let me laugh a little about it. Rads, AK or SK would get a lot, lot bigger paycheck in KHL, same goes for any European player on Nashville roster. As a fact AK got offered 9 mil dollars from Kazan (team that won 2 titles in KHL) but he signed for 3 mil with Montreal (49% taxes). Why is that? Because he loves money?
"Big" money the 3 Russians on Nashville got paid are not that big. Combined less than 1 Weber If anyone who watched this PO says AK or Rads played like ****** I guess he should go and cheer for Don Cherry really. AK and Rads (little bit less cuz he lack of xp in PO) played better than majority of Nashville players. So no shots at Fisher? Legwand? Did Weber and Suter show up for the series against Phoenix? All this players btw getting paid more than the "greedy" Russians who don't care about PO. Only one time AK was on a ice when goal was scored against Nashville and that was when he jumped on ice and tried to cover for Josi who wasn't on a blue line. He was second among forwards in hits before suspension and finished with 2-nd best positive TA-GA ratio on a team. Not bad for a temporary worker if you ask me. What do European players have to do some people will believe that they do care about PO?

P.S Late dinner and 1 hour late was totally over-reacted by Nashville. SK's interview in which he phrased Nashville management, coach and players for 90% of interview means nothing for people. What is important is the fact he said he believes that punishment was too harsh for Rads and his bro. He didn't say it during PO, he waited until everything was over to prevent any kind of drama. It is his opinion. And guess what many people (including Don Cherry) share his opinion. What a bad attitude by European player

Old
05-20-2012, 04:28 PM
maplepred

It's not necessarily because of players no necessarily producing in playoffs (sometimes crap happen and you can't get any bounces) it's the not taking it serious and going out to bars until 430am when you play next day at 5pm. Obviously there are tons of elite Europeans out there, I've acknowledged that. Its how serious the playoffs are taken is what conversation is about, but I thought we were done talking about this lol. Agree to disagree.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
maplepred

Do you think if Colin Wilson or radulov get traded we do not get as much for them as we should since they are both rfa's not signed to deal, but it's better they are rfa then ufa, just curious though if we are better to do a sign and trade with them if poile is going to move one or both. Phoenix did a sign and trade with turris that worked out this season.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
The trade deadline is gone and passed by a couple of months now. Approaching 1000 posts. Let's move the talk to the offseason thread above or feel free to create a new thread to address a particular topic.

Thanks!

/thread

Closed Thread