HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What gear will get you "chirped" at? (Besides a tinted visor)

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 06:00 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
He thought it would transform him into asian Lecavalier. LOL I don't know, I guess helmet and skates fit well so he went with the rest.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:21 PM
clayman

Just curious.. If you have matching team socks and jersey, without any kind of logo or player name on it, you'll get chirped? I have different sets of socks and jerseys from long ago, and one set I bought when I decided to start playing again thats the old Kings stuff (nice and on sale cheap!) although its not the cool purple stuff I watched as a kid! All my other gear is basic black stuff... Back then it was fine! I do have my old number on my gear, is that chirpable now too? lol..

Old
05-19-2012, 04:19 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
They didn't really care too much if you wore the team jersey, since the team jersey was a cheapo screenprinted practice jersey, and ours was black. So he wore his black Flyers jersey. It was just weird because who wears an authentic jersey for a mens league game?

Ah OK, that is just begging for chirping until his ears fall off. LOL

Old
05-19-2012, 08:41 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
Just curious.. If you have matching team socks and jersey, without any kind of logo or player name on it, you'll get chirped? I have different sets of socks and jerseys from long ago, and one set I bought when I decided to start playing again thats the old Kings stuff (nice and on sale cheap!) although its not the cool purple stuff I watched as a kid! All my other gear is basic black stuff... Back then it was fine! I do have my old number on my gear, is that chirpable now too? lol..
There's a lot of different factors to this. Where you play, your skill level, what you look like, etc. I can guarantee you if a guy shows up in full team gear a tinted visor and a chrome Gretzky stick but he can play halfway decent and he looks like he'll kick your ass there will be no chirping going on. I've never seen or heard any of this so I'm thinking it has a lot to do with where you live. I'm assuming in smaller hockey markets like Oregon and Southern California people are just grateful they have a place to play and pickup isn't cancelled because nobody showed up. I think the majority of the chirp posts are directed at guys who can't play hockey but dress like they are in the NHL.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:36 AM
donkers*

I'll just throw this out there.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:59 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
I'll just throw this out there.

My favorite part of that is the cat messing up the shot repeatedly. Even the cat is bored.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Hacker10

I got invited to play a Friday night pickup game last year, it turned out to be a good group of guys.

2 of them were big Blackhawks fans, and they took to the ice looking like they stepped right out of the Winter Classic from a few years ago, the 'vintage' black sweaters, black pants, the proper socks, gloves, etc. One was 'Kane', the other 'Toews'. I usually don't look twice at that sort of thing, because I play soccer during the summer and guys always wear the jersey of their favorite team, me included. However, on the ice wearing the full kit looks kinda weird. At least wear different socks or something.

I have an authentic fake Pronger Flyers sweater I want to wear, but I figure that's just begging for a few hard slashes...or worse. So I'll try to recapture my wasted teen years by rocking the barberpole 67's sweater.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:53 AM
robmneilson

There's a dude with one of those mirrored visors in one of my mens leagues. I make sure to call him robocop any chance I get!

Old
05-19-2012, 12:02 PM
donkers*

Does anyone remember those absolutely fruity Mission Fuel gloves HockeyGiant was blowing out last year for $30? Those will get you chirped. I actually own a pair (I'm a hypocrite, I know) but I only wear them for street hockey or at pick ups where I know everyone. I still get chirped though.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:08 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
That's such a joke. If someone wants to spend $250 even for a stick, who cares. That's an awesome stick. I used $150 sticks to play dek hockey when a buddy asked me to play on his team just because i'm used to the stick in general. I'm surprised someone chirped at you.

That's reason I try to stay away from adult leagues. I love getting on the ice, but there is so much heart/soul put into a real battle and it's hard when that's out of the game. Hockey doesn't intrigue me for fancy moves. I love blocking a shot, finishing a hit, and battling in front of the net. That's the beauty of the game.

Side note: One thing that I would chirp at is if someone has a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey on in an adult league. It was always a huge no-no to wear real jerseys for pick up games, practice, etc. Also - don't wear the socks, either. Get yourself a plain black or grey pair of reebok practice socks and everything will be okay.
Uh oh, I might be that guy.

I have a pair of penguins socks and used shells that I picked up off of eBay because they were cheap. My old kohos should have been replaced years ago, so I've been using these in it's place. It's not like I'm going out in full team gear. The helmet and gloves don't exactly match, nor does the jersey.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I guess it can be deceiving. At pickup a few years back there was a guy wearing full matching Pens gear (without the jersey) and he completely smoked everyone. I believe he was an ECHL'er at some point.

Also last night, saw a guy Bauer head to toe wearing his Ovy jersey and matching gear...he was actually pretty good though.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:55 PM
robmneilson

Quote:
Does anyone remember those absolutely fruity Mission Fuel gloves HockeyGiant was blowing out last year for $30? Those will get you chirped. I actually own a pair (I'm a hypocrite, I know) but I only wear them for street hockey or at pick ups where I know everyone. I still get chirped though.
I LOVE those fruity gloves. One of my buddies wears them to piss people off. I nearly bought a pair when they were on sale to get them mounted as a player of the game award to pass around...but by the time I got off my lazy ass to buy them they were $60 again.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:34 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
I LOVE those fruity gloves. One of my buddies wears them to piss people off. I nearly bought a pair when they were on sale to get them mounted as a player of the game award to pass around...but by the time I got off my lazy ass to buy them they were $60 again.
They're actually really nice gloves and I think were $90 or so when they came out. Would have been great with these jerseys

Old
05-19-2012, 02:36 PM
donkers*

Old
05-19-2012, 08:15 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
There's a lot of different factors to this. Where you play, your skill level, what you look like, etc. I can guarantee you if a guy shows up in full team gear a tinted visor and a chrome Gretzky stick but he can play halfway decent and he looks like he'll kick your ass there will be no chirping going on. I've never seen or heard any of this so I'm thinking it has a lot to do with where you live. I'm assuming in smaller hockey markets like Oregon and Southern California people are just grateful they have a place to play and pickup isn't cancelled because nobody showed up. I think the majority of the chirp posts are directed at guys who can't play hockey but dress like they are in the NHL.
That's kind of what I thought, but was just curious. The only team stuff I have is socks and jerseys, no full kit of anyone's. Basic black gloves, helmet and pants... I've never even owned a pro jersey with name and logo, but personally I would rather have socks and jersey that match. I do have my number on my jerseys, but that's it- and it's MY number! lol.. And I'd have to chirp myself for a tinted visor or chrome stick! lol! Back in the day we all had our favorite teams stuff for practice, as in socks and jerseys, and then we had team gameday uniforms. There wasn't a whole lot to pick from back then though!

Old
05-19-2012, 08:26 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
My favorite part of that is the cat messing up the shot repeatedly. Even the cat is bored.
That's 6 minutes and 09 seconds I'll never get back.. lol! And you're right, the cat was the highlight!

Old
05-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Wease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I guess it can be deceiving. At pickup a few years back there was a guy wearing full matching Pens gear (without the jersey) and he completely smoked everyone. I believe he was an ECHL'er at some point.
Would not surprise me at all if he was a minor leaguer. Two summers ago I was at a Drop In and Blue Jackets minor leaguer Tomas Kana showed up with a fellow Czech, a guy who normally goes to Drop In's. He was dressed in all Blue Jacket (well probably the AHL stuff) equipment, with the exception of his jersey. So yeah, that can happen and it can be a legit player. You'll know right away if the guy was a pro/ex pro...

Old
05-19-2012, 09:21 PM
donkers*

Like has been mentioned before, if you have the skills to back up your swag no one is going to chirp you.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:32 AM
TrueBlue86

i don't get what the deal is with people wearing their fav players' jerseys/ entire kits while playing hockey...
when i play i think it's about me and the team, and i don't even think about emulating the leafs or being like professional players

same thing, i don't get why people put their own name on the back of their fav team's jersey. when i wear a leafs jersey to a game it's all about repping the team or a player, and not about myself.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:34 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Old
05-20-2012, 10:58 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

Good lord I wish i saw someone playing in those. I wouldn't even chirp. I'd just be laughing so hard.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Good lord I wish i saw someone playing in those. I wouldn't even chirp. I'd just be laughing so hard.
You can be the first to wear them in your local rink. They're on sale for about $25 on hockeymonkey.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:11 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
You can be the first to wear them in your local rink. They're on sale for about $25 on hockeymonkey.
Those are great! It would be hilarious to show up for my women's drop-in game with those.

I've only been chirped once, by a ref. Not for anything I was wearing, but because I missed a pass that should have been an easy one. I told him to knock it off, since I had only been playing for 6 weeks at the time and it was maybe my 4th actual game. We were doing 3 on 3 since there weren't enough of us there, everyone on the ice the whole time. What can I say, I was pretty tired by that point!

Old
05-20-2012, 12:19 PM
CunniJA

Quote:
Yes. A full kit of that, please. Also, a Eden Hall kit.

Old
05-21-2012, 07:28 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Quote:
believe it or not, i was thinking of buying those.. just to piss people off..

in my country, we don't have gear chirpings because we know that getting gears is pretty difficult so we'll take what we can find.

but those gloves are definitely out of the line lol

Closed Thread