HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECF - Game 3 - Devils lose 3-0... again. End of the world edition.

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
Of.course now tortorella goes.into stories in his postgame Presser since they won. ****in piece of **** **********
What a shocker.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Devils1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Dude, the Devils had a enough amazing scoring changes for 3 playoff games in the fist two periods....the devils score on a 1/3 of them and it's a blowout...people are just making **** up to complain about when the fact of the matter is, besides scoring, there is nothing the devils could've done much better.
Scoring and penalty kill. get a few bounces and kills off the PP's and this series is 3-0 Devils.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:19 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Dude, the Devils had a enough amazing scoring changes for 3 playoff games in the fist two periods....the devils score on a 1/3 of them and it's a blowout...people are just making **** up to complain about when the fact of the matter is, besides scoring, there is nothing the devils could've done much better.
I agree. The Devils had a ton of scoring chances in the first two periods. But they didn't covert, simple as that.

As a coach, you are not coaching based on what could have happened. You coach in specific situations. You coach "the now", if you will.

In this situation, the game was tied, and the team iced the puck two or three times in a row. Deboer had his timeout, and elected not to use it. Salvador took a penalty on the following shift, and Girardi scored on the ensuing powerplay.

Momentum belonged to the Rangers for the next 10-12 minutes.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:20 PM
leftwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Here's what I worry about. If they start going to the net I have absolutely no doubt that every time Lundquist is even looked at the wrong way he will flop, and they will take a penalty. During the regular season I'd have no problem with that. Throw Henrik off his game and let the PKers take care of the penalty. Unfortunately the PK is garbage now and the rags are the most opportunistic team in the league so they would undoubtedly score goals on the majority of their PP chances.
Then make it count.

He gets up really slowly.....

Old
05-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Mogwai211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
The Devils lack a big body, like a Holmstrom who can get in front of Lundqvist and muck it up in front of the net. Lots skill up front but aside from Zubruis, theres no real huge physical presense up front.

Maybe try Clarkson on the #1 PP in front of the net. You wont score on Lundqvist if he sees the shot. Need to get traffic and hope for a tip. Right now Lundvist is seeing literally all his shots. Enough with the pretty setup on the PP and just get the puck back to the point and towards the net.
Yep, agreed. Lundquist will stop virtually every shot he sees. They need to do what Ottawa did and park two guys in front of him on the PP...0 for 5 on the PP not gonna get it done.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:22 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Some of the comments here are utterly ridiculous.

How can anyone find fault with anything?

If the devils play this exact same game, they win the game 95 out of 100 times.

Lundqvist stole the Game. Period.
I agree with you 100%.

That being said, we've played this exact game 3 times and won 1. It's frustrating to see this happening. We're absolutely dominating and it just isn't translating to wins. It's not even anyone's fault.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:22 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

But really, with no event at The Rock on Friday, why did the teams have two days off?

Old
05-19-2012, 03:24 PM
apice3*

What really sucks is if a ref sees the Prust elbow during the regular season, it's a 5 minute major.

Old
AirheadPete
G-Dub

Quote:
Mike Morreale‏@mike_morreale

Zach Parise did not speak to the media after the game. Left the locker room noticeably upset.
Quote:
Mike Morreale‏@mike_morreale

I'm not so sure if Parise was upset about the loss or something else. He's usually good win or lose.
cue the speculation....

Old
JKreDibLe

kovy is playing at like 60 percent... he has no burst with his skating AT ALL

Old
Luke3026
When you're burned..

I'll sorta miss Parise when (?if?) he goes, but it's becoming clear he'll never be known as "Mr. Clutch" in the playoffs. He's all hustle and heart, but at some point I expect him to take the team on his back and win one for them. In the end he's a nice 30-goal regular season man, but some team out there is going to throw elite forward money at him and I don't think he's THAT player.

This series isn't over, but it's close. NJ has a better team, but I think NY has the better goaltender and that has been the difference. Also, when NJ gets down a goal, they go into panic mode. The forecheck is gone, everyone is running around, Kovalchuk downshifts into bonehead mode. The Devils need to score first or they have big trouble.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:25 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Sounds like the team is as frustrated as we all are with the loss.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
DeBoer on Prust's elbow to Volchenkov: "Head hunting plain and simple."
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

2m Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Devils captain Zach Parise did not talk to the media -- after I complimented him for being there basically forever following Games 1 and 2.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Channel that into a Super-Saiyan performance on Monday.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:25 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Zidlicky is trash and I still don't think his defensive flaws are worth his minimal offensive contributions. Sticking by what I said when we got him.

Why the hell Parise and Kovy play together is beyond me. Volch is banged up and Larsson should start for him next game. Crowd was pretty good today, it's a shame we didn't get anything to cheer about.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:26 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
cue the speculation....
Haha what a joke. What else could he be mad about? We dominated this game and lost. Any player would be pissed.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:27 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I blame DeBoer fairly often, but Harrold has played fantastic. And he was 1/2 inch away from making it 2-1 with 4:10 left to play today. Given the Devils need as much offense as possible, I dont see how you can take Harrold out for Larsson.

Disagree.

If the devils play this exact same game, I'd say they win the game 55 out of 100 times.

What you're not processing is that while the Devils are DOMINATING game play, they're getting VERY FEW SCORING CHANCES on Lundqvist. Taking a lot of low percentage shots from the 1/2-wall and blueline doesnt get the job done. Getting 15 to 25 shots blocked per game doesnt get the job done.

It took a miracle for the Rangers to beat the Capitals.

They Rangers easily could have been swept 4-0, at very least they should have been down 3-1, but the Caps hit about 1000 posts that series (more than I've ever seen), including several in Overtime.

And then there's the game where Ward singlehandedly lost by being a doofus with about 30 seconds left.
Parise refuses to speak to media after game. I think this divorce is becoming more and more likely and more and more mutual. His dad has way too much to say and this isn't the first time jp has interjected his opinion

Old
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
The Devils lack a big body, like a Holmstrom who can get in front of Lundqvist and muck it up in front of the net. Lots skill up front but aside from Zubruis, theres no real huge physical presense up front.

Maybe try Clarkson on the #1 PP in front of the net. You wont score on Lundqvist if he sees the shot. Need to get traffic and hope for a tip. Right now Lundvist is seeing literally all his shots. Enough with the pretty setup on the PP and just get the puck back to the point and towards the net.
It's not the lack of players, it's just not the way they play. Clarkson, Zubrus would be great for a body in front of the net, Zubus' size and strength and Clarkson's willingness and his tips. They could work, but won't unless they actually go to the net.

I still think they can win it. We're dominating them and have been for 7, or more, periods so far. They can't stay lucky the whole, I hope.

The PK is looking closer to the Florida series compared to the Flyers series. That needs to be better.
Then our PP needs to improve. 0/5, not good.

I didn't see much but the PP mid way in the 2nd was ridiculous. Way way way too much passing and not enough shooting. Let them slide on the ice and shoot once they slide off, stop looking for the perfect play.

Old
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
2m Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Devils captain Zach Parise did not talk to the media -- after I complimented him for being there basically forever following Games 1 and 2.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite.

Old
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Rangers have pretty much been outplayed this entire playoffs. It's disgusting really to lose this game.
This is what pisses me off. Teams should not be getting killed on possession this much and winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I don't at all agree about Larsson. Harrold brings an offensive element to the bottom 4 that no one else is close to bringing, and offense is obviously an issue against the Rangers. He skates the puck very well, and he's not afraid to challenge the defensive unit or put pucks on net. Unfortunately, Larsson's the only player you can really justify sitting at this point. Maybe Volchenkov next game?
Volch probably should sit. He looked gimped up, and taking that elbow to the head can't have helped.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
It will be interesting to see, should it happen, how the rags react when the opposing goalie makes saves as good or better than their own. When their 1 good chance per game doesn't somehow result in 2 goals.

Marty has been fantastic this series and has made great saves in all games so far.

Old
leftwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
You see what I mean about time outs now? Pete should have called a time out on the second icing. Salvador was on for over 2 minutes I think. Our PK SUCKS a big one. Can't even kill off 2 penalties a game anymore? Against the Rangers brutal PP? I'm sure someone will blame Marty on that. He's always the scapegoat.

Pete's failure to call a time out by no means cost us the game. The Rangers are the second coming of Florida just with better goaltending/defense. They need PP's to score goals. If not for that PP it would have been 2-0 with an empty netter. Our PK needs to be better. The ONLY goals they scored in game 2 were PP's. This team needs PP goals to score, and we can't kill them off? They have 2 even strength non empty net goals in this series, and our PK sucks.

Our PP is a joke today which is no surprise as it was a lot of different parts of the season. They pissed away almost every opportunity. The last PP looked the best.

They probably think they showed good enough effort because they took 36 shots on net. That's the sad thing.
Good analysis in the first two paragraphs.

But all of it is absolutely meaningless until we put the puck in the net.

We had way too much movement of the puck. Tried to get too cute. When it hits your stick in the house, shoot. Too many (at least two I saw) shots by Elias on bad angles from near the goal line. Too many times we pass it around trying to set up a particular player and only when he's not open do we shoot.

News flash, that kind of shot is not going in.

Plus, we played 'Short Hills soft'. Damn senatorial courtesy. When the Rags went down to block a shot in game two we shot away and made them pay, today if they went down we said 'oh gee, I can't let I fly let me move it around'. Make these shot blockers pay......Callahan in particular.

Old
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Mike Morreale ‏@mike_morreale
I'm not so sure if Parise was upset about the loss or something else. He's usually good win or lose.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

8m Mike Morreale ‏@mike_morreale
Zach Parise did not speak to the media after the game. Left the locker room noticeably upset.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:29 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Wow. I didnt realize how CLOSE Sykora's shot came to scoring until just seeing the replay. It hit Lundqvist's stick and defected JUST missing scoring.

Didnt realize that, and NBC didnt show a replay. Lundqvist was good, AND very lucky today on a few chances.

Old
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Zidlicky is trash and I still don't think his defensive flaws are worth his minimal offensive contributions. Sticking by what I said when we got him.

Why the hell Parise and Kovy play together is beyond me. Volch is banged up and Larsson should start for him next game. Crowd was pretty good today, it's a shame we didn't get anything to cheer about.
Zidlicky isnt trash, hes just being overplayed. He shouldnt be any teams #2 dman for ice time. Hes best with sheltered minutes.

Old
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Ugh. Watching the 1st period was maddening. People can say we're dominating play, but the bottom line is you need to dominate on the scoreboard eventually or it's a meaningless exercise.

Lundqvist is terrific, but eventually you have to bury some chances. Henrique and Parise continue to confound me. I understand the defensemen are getting away with some clutch and grab, but there have been so many chances where they shoot directly into the goaltender and don't properly read the play and are too quick to shoot, and on the PP when you should be hammering pucks at the net, they take an entire minute off the PP. Both guys are terrific puck possession guys and are just sort of lacking something near the net. It's puzzling.

Also, Sykora should be waived after the game. He's done as an NHL forward. He's been a big reason for the uptick in offsides when he can't burst into the zone and his linemates don't know whether he can stay with them. He's done nothing since his goal in Game 1 against the Flyers and if anything has become a liability.

I want Larsson back in next game. Volchenkov looked iffy towards the end of the game. Also, Harrold was so-so, but I was not impressed with him on the PP at all.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

When it's a 0-0 game against this team, no matter who is dominating, the rangers might as well be winning. And the devils definitely go into panic mode way too quickly when they get scored on.

Closed Thread