HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

lockout

Old
05-18-2012, 07:20 PM
pughater

vCash: 500
lockout

is anyone afraid that there will be no season next year or maybe a shortened season? Sorry if this is already brought up.

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Ryker

Not worried about it at all.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Very few people seem concerned about it.

05-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

no

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Flyerfan4life

what makes you think thats even a possibility at this point ?

im not worried..

pretty sure teh NHL players arent either.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Maybe I'm the Lone Ranger on this but I'm beginning to believe that there may end up being a problem that can eat into the season... The NHLPA is not the toothless kitten that the one that was in place the last time, rather it is the longer in tooth tigers that last led the MLB players who were strong and were not pushed around.

I'm also beginning to believe that the Owners want to roll back some of what little-ish they gave up last time... We saw them flex their muscles when they called the NHLPA's bluff and pulled back the realignment rather than negotiate with them when they balked about flat out conceding the new Conference setup as it was. I could see the Owners trying to garb a bigger piece of the pie as the other Major Sport Leagues have... The NHL is gaining strength and may become shortsighted believing they can take back some of the few concessions they gave up and keep on growing... not fearing that a Lockout, if extended by a united NHLPA stand by the new leadership, could and would stem the growth curve.

If you asked this a little while back I would have said I was not afraid of a lost or shortened season... But right now?... I could start to taste a wee bit of fear come Mid-August.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Maybe I'm the Lone Ranger on this but I'm beginning to believe that there may end up being a problem that can eat into the season... The NHLPA is not the toothless kitten that the one that was in place the last time, rather it is the longer in tooth tigers that last led the MLB players who were strong and were not pushed around.

I'm also beginning to believe that the Owners want to roll back some of what little-ish they gave up last time... We saw them flex their muscles when they called the NHLPA's bluff and pulled back the realignment rather than negotiate with them when they balked about flat out conceding the new Conference setup as it was. I could see the Owners trying to garb a bigger piece of the pie as the other Major Sport Leagues have... The NHL is gaining strength and may become shortsighted believing they can take back some of the few concessions they gave up and keep on growing... not fearing that a Lockout, if extended by a united NHLPA stand by the new leadership, could and would stem the growth curve.

If you asked this a little while back I would have said I was not afraid of a lost or shortened season... But right now?... I could start to taste a wee bit of fear come Mid-August.
The League just got the largest TV contract in its history by a mile--the players might seek some concessions, but the only way this goes to a labor stoppage is if the owners go nutso.

I don't think they will. The few clubs that are struggling might want the cap floor adjusted, but I find it hard to believe there is a strong, unified position among the owners to roll back the players cut. Without that, everything else should be negotiable...

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:13 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
The NHL would be really dumb to let this get to lockout levels, the NHLPA can really use this to their advantage. I think, if anything... there could be a delay to the start of the season, then the start of the season would be the WC (because no way does the NHL miss the Winter Classic).

Talks haven't even begun though... not until the end of the cup final.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:32 PM
McNasty

I don't think the entire season is at risk, but it wouldn't shock me at all if the season was delayed.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I imagine the players want to avoid it. If the season misses games, that's less income. Less income lowers the cap, which lowers the amount available to pay players, and could break up teams and cause players to be moved out of teams they like.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:26 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I'd be crushed if there was another lockout. Honestly, I've stuck my neck out a TON to non-hockey/sports fans over the last 7(+) years fighting to get hockey some respect, and if they go into their 2nd lockout in 8 years (and 3rd in 18), then they deserve to be at the bottom of the American sports food chain. How could they expect to succeed by continuing to do this? And I'm nervous because the more people talk about Fehr, the more I think a lockout is possible.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Between the 2010 Olympics and the Flyers run that year, I got quite a few people hooked on hockey. It was great watching them watch the Olympics and say "wow! This is incredible!" only to tell them it was nothing compared to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I know how you feel.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:58 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't think there will be a lockout. There's too much at stake for the NHL to go and do something foolish like this. The owners got pretty much everything they asked for last time around. The only changes I can see coming up are that contacts that are in excess of 6 years will be a hot topic as will the percentage of revenue. There was also discussion about player contracts becoming non-guaranteed, but that was only one owner who discussed that.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Nah, I think they learned their lesson after the last one (HOPEFULLY).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Nah, I think they learned their lesson after the last one (HOPEFULLY).
And let's hope Fehr still remembers what happened when he was at the MLBPA helm in '94.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The NHLPA was not a "toothless kitten" last time either. Goodenow had lead the PA for more than a decade. He had won the two previous bouts of labor negotiations (strike in 92 and lockout in 94). They endured an entire season canceled (the first and only PA to ever do so). But they were fighting a losing battle. When the very business model of the league is flawed, the owners weren't going to accept anything less than a hard cap and decreased salaries.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:49 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

A lockout would be the destruction of the NHL...especially after netting record high ratings this season.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
The NHLPA was not a "toothless kitten" last time either. Goodenow had lead the PA for more than a decade. He had won the two previous bouts of labor negotiations (strike in 92 and lockout in 94). They endured an entire season canceled (the first and only PA to ever do so). But they were fighting a losing battle. When the very business model of the league is flawed, the owners weren't going to accept anything less than a hard cap and decreased salaries.
Maybe 'toothless kitten' was a poor choice of words... but what happened was not only didn't the leadership of the NHLPA gain anything really but in choosing the battles to fight they actually regressed on what they could have come up with and after losing a full year they gave back money off their already signed contracts and agreed to a Hard Cap... The NHLPA held their ground but for what? Did they gain anything for any level of the players besides a Summer off? The leadership lost their positions and the NHLPA was for a while in disarray. Did they have teeth? They were stubborn and fought back but to what avail? Their teeth did little to no damage.

I believe the new Leadership will not be as foolish and will not take backward steps not be bullied quite as much a the end... If they don't hold out an entire season would that make them have less of a bite? To me it is nothing to be proud of to be able to brag that they had the balls to stand their ground... when the ground they stood on was marshland when all was said and done... JMO.

The NHL may be smart enough to understand that a Lockout would stem the tide in the progress of the League as a true Major Sports League... But then again greed may set in and do them in... I sure hope not as they lucked out the last time in the end, and asking to do so twice in a row is asking an awful lot.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
A lockout would be the destruction of the NHL...especially after netting record high ratings this season.

While I completely agree... the NHL Owners may look at the fact that that was what was said last time when the League was not as stable and now they see a stronger NHL in almost all aspects.

I suppose I'm playing the Devil's advocate here. LOL

Old
05-19-2012, 11:33 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
A shortened season would be great

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:36 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
A shortened season would be great
I'd rather see the season start on time with an overall shorter season if only by a few games.

I am worried about a lockout, but that fear shouldn't become real until post-draft. If something is not in place prior to free agency there will be issues such as not knowing how the cap will be, roll backs, cutting players, etc. which could drag well into camp and into the start of the season.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:00 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I would hate a shorter season... I need mah hockey!

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The season should only be 50-60 games long maximum.

No chance we get a lock-out. The NHL would cease to exist should it happen again

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:39 PM
MsWoof

I think there will be a lockout. The league wanted a cap and they got it...only it bit them in the ass. Now they're going to want more and I'm not sure the players will give them much.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:33 AM
KaraLupin
카라

There will definitely be a lockout, we're probably only looking at a month though.

For people underestimating this, wait until the playoffs end, then the Media talk will really get going.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote