HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2012, 04:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
I'll Have Another has triple crown style.
I agree, however there's too many good horses this year. The best chance we'll ever have for a Triple Crown is when we have a standout horse take advantage of a weak field. Like Big Brown, and he still couldn't get it done, although a lot of bad things happened there.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
None of the horses got hurt, so I guess someone decided that a human being was needed to compensate
Take Charge Indy was hurt and is having surgery. Could explain his performance yesterday.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Mark Valeski is running in the Peter Pan next week. Which doesn't make sense to me, in Louisiana it didn't look like he could get 1 1/8 let alone prepping to go 1 1/2

Old
05-07-2012, 07:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

There's a link to probable starters in the Preakness:

http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-fu...-ships-pimlico

Quote:
As of Monday, there were 16 horses still being considered for the Preakness. And though that number could shrink by next week, the Preakness does have a maximum of 14 starters, six fewer than the Derby, so earnings could come into play in determining the field. This year, the Preakness will allow up to two also-eligibles at entry time, too.

Unlike the Derby, which solely uses graded earnings for an oversubscribed field, the Preakness uses a three-tiered process. The first seven of the 14 starters are determined by graded stakes earnings. The next four are those who have the most earnings in non-restricted stakes. The next three – as well as the two also-eligibles – are based on lifetime earnings.

The field for the $1 million Preakness will be a mixture of horses exiting the Derby as well as horses who will be getting their first taste of this year’s Triple Crown. Besides I’ll Have Another, Derby runners most likely to come back in the 1 3/16-mile Preakness are Bodemeister (second), Went the Day Well (fourth), and Creative Cause (fifth). Dullahan (third), Hansen (ninth), and Optimizer (11th) are strong possibilities, too, while Liaison (sixth) could run there or await the Belmont Stakes, the final leg of the Triple Crown, on June 9 in New York.

Newcomers include Brimstone Island, Cozzetti, Hierro, Paynter, Pretension, Teeth of the Dog, Tiger Walk, and Zetterholm. Isn’t He Clever could be added to the list, but not before trainer Steve Asmussen and owner Kirk Robison confer.
Link to probable starters: http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-fu...ness-probables

Old
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Interesting analysis. Something to add was Afleet Alex lost horribly under Johnny V. when Jeremy Rose was removed for the Rebel; an infection played a factor. But with a return to Rose, Afleet Alex trounced in the following race, the Arkansas Derby.

The writer didn't mention Spend A Buck and how his connections opted not to pursue ther Preakness after the Derby win.

http://saratogian.com/articles/2012/...0415693164.prt

Could breeding be making today's horses weaker?

Quote:
So, what is at work here?

I do think that speed in the breed, coupled with a generation of stallion syndications that causes early retirement of top horses, have not helped racing in this regard.

The creation of the Breeders’ Cup in 1984, as a very rich series to end the season in November, certainly changed both the spacing and number of races for many trainers.

To its credit, the Breeders’ Cup has a Marathon, worth $500,000 at 1 miles.

However, the Breeders’ Cup in my view has too many rich sprints.

There are the $500,000 Juvenile Sprint, the $1 million Filly and Mare Sprint, the $1.5 million Sprint, and the $1 million Turf Sprint.

If the 1 - mile Classic went to 1 miles, you would see more distance racing in this country.

If I could change one thing, though, it would be track condition.

Tracks have been too hard for decades.

What is wrong with the best horse winning at six furlongs in 1:10 instead of 1:07, or seven furlongs in 1:24 instead of 1:20?

Surfaces that produce those kinds of times must be taking a toll.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:06 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

vCash: 500
You could probably write a thesis on the factors that could be brought up discussing that both on and off the track. I don't know all about breeding, but it seems like results are wanted now and speed is so much more wanted than anything else that sometimes things like longevity are damned...if that makes sense.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/YahooForde/status...18748897615872
Quote:
Interesting story RT @lanegold: That didn't take long RT @nytimes: Trainer of Kentucky Derby winner Has Troubled Record nyti.ms/IHLrqN

Old
05-11-2012, 06:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Union Rags will not run in the Preakness.

Gemologist will miss the Preakness and Belmont Stakes...

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...sey=nav%7Chead

Quote:
Gemologist, the Wood Memorial winner who lost for the first time when he finished 16th in the Kentucky Derby, will miss the rest
of the Triple Crown because of an apparent bruise in his left front foot.

Elliott Walden, president of owner WinStar Farm, said Friday that Gemologist appeared fine when he was vanned to the farm for a brief break the day after the Derby but was lame on Monday. He said X-rays from the knee down showed no fracture.
http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/stor...skip-preakness

Quote:
Trainer Michael Matz and owner/breeder Phyllis Wyeth announced May 9 that they have decided to forego the May 19 Preakness Stakes at Pimlico Race Course with Union Rags.

"It's a long year and I just don't think it's necessary to bring him back in two weeks if he doesn't have a chance at the Triple Crown," Matz told The Blood-Horse May 9.

While there is a chance the son of Dixie Union could be instead pointed to the June 9 Belmont Stakes, Matz was not ready to confirm whether that would definitely be the case.

Union Rags, who went off at odds of 5-1 in the Kentucky Derby, was bumped and squeezed at the start of the race by Kent Desormeaux on Dullahan on his outside and Calvin Borel on Take Charge Indy on his inside. After an eighth of a mile, the Fasig-Tipton Fountain of Youth Stakes winner was a distant 18th.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-12-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old
05-15-2012, 11:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

If I was Matz, I'd bail on the Triple Crown altogether. Set up the Breeders' Cup, since he didn't have a chance in 2006.

There was the possibility that the top 6 finishers from the Derby are going to the Preakness. Are we still in line for that? I've been sort of out to lunch this week, so not sure who is coming and going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
You could probably write a thesis on the factors that could be brought up discussing that both on and off the track. I don't know all about breeding, but it seems like results are wanted now and speed is so much more wanted than anything else that sometimes things like longevity are damned...if that makes sense.
Medication masks what could be genetic deficiencies, is the universal thought process.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

The post draw is today (Wedn.) at 6:00 p.m.

Hansen's next race could be the Woody Stephens Stakes on June 9.

Bodemeister is in the Preakness, as is Creative Cause.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Preakness Draw:

1 - Tiger Walk
2 - Teeth of the Dog
3 - Pretension
4 - Zetterholm
5 - Went the Day Well
6 - Creative Cause
7 - Bodemeister
8 - Daddy Nose Best
9 - I'll Have Another
10 - Optimizer
11 - Cozzetti

Old
05-16-2012, 07:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://www.preakness.com/race-info

Preakness: Post time is set for 6:18 p.m. ET

Post Horse Jockey Trainer Morning Line
1 Tiger Walk Kent Desormeaux Ignacio Correas IV 30-1
2 Teeth of the Dog Joe Bravo Michael Matz 15-1
3 Pretension Javier Santiago Christopher Grove 30-1
4 Zetterholm Junior Alvarado Richard Dutrow Jr.20-1
5 Went the Day Well John Velazquez H. Graham Motion 6-1
6 Creative Cause Joel Rosario Mike Harrington 6-1
7 Bodemeister Mike Smith Bob Baffert 8-5
8 Daddy Nose Best Julien Leparoux Steven Asmussen 12-1
9 I’ll Have Another Mario Gutierrez Doug F. O'Neill 5-2
10 Optimizer Corey Nakatani D. Wayne Lukas 30-1
11 Cozzetti Jose Lezcano Dale Romans 30-1

Gomez has been replaced by Leparoux on Daddy Nose Best.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/trip...addy-nose-best

Quote:
Regular rider Julien Leparoux will return to the saddle for Daddy Nose Best's attempt in Saturday's Preakness Stakes at Pimlico.

The Eclipse Award-winning jockey has ridden the Scat Daddy colt in eight consecutive races at six different tracks since July 2011, but opted to stay with Union Rags in the Kentucky Derby. Leparoux has been aboard for all four of Daddy Nose Best's victories, including the Grade 3 El Camino Real Derby and the Grade 3 Sunland Derby.

Daddy Nose Best, 10th in the Kentucky Derby, walked the shedrow at Churchill Downs' Barn 38 Wednesday morning and was scheduled to be shipped to Baltimore later in the morning.

Owner Bob Zollars said that he and trainer Steve Asmussen waited a week before deciding to try the colt in the Preakness.

"We just determined that we felt like he had completely bounced back," Zollars said. "As much as you can make a determination of that, he appears to be ready to go. It's a short turnaround. I was concerned how well he would bounce back. We've done blood work on him and checked him out. He's very perky, so we think that he's ready to run again."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-16-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old
05-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Valrico Gold

Saturday's Preakness winner will certainly come out of the Derby field, and will be in this group.

Bodemeister
Creative Cause
I'll Have Another
Went The Day Well

It appears that there is zero pace.
This forces Bodemeister to the front, and gives him quite an advantage over a generally speed favoring course.

If any of the other 3 have any hope, they will have to press the pace.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/WaltonCaps/status...40581977894913
Quote:
Not that anyone should take my horse racing tips (ever), but I'm wholly endorsing Tiger Walk for the Preakness.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:51 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

137th Preakness Stakes, Saturday, May 19
Pre-race and post-race coverage is on the NBC Sports Network. The race is on NBC-TV.
  • Preview -- 2:30 p.m. ET until 4:30 p.m. ET -- NBC Sports Network.
  • Main Event -- 4:30 p.m. ET until 6:30 p.m. ET -- NBC-TV.
  • Recap -- 6:30 p.m. ET until 7:00 p.m. ET -- NBC Sports Network.

Here's the chart/bettor's guide from the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/2012/...sguide0518.pdf

Quote:
In the fall-out after the Derby, one may be forgiven for thinking Bodemeister won it. This flier zoomed out of the gate, whistled off a slew of blistering fractions, only to be collared in the last few yards by I’ll Have Another. The strange thing is that everyone who saw that Derby will remember Bodemeister more vividly than the actual winner.

Because the Preakness is half a furlong shorter than the Derby, many think that this time, I’ll Have Another won’t catch Bodemeister. And therein lies the brimming excitement of the Preakness. It looms a two-horse showdown. Will he or won’t he catch Bodemeister?

That may depend on Bodemeister’s jockey, Mike Smith. If he rides him as he did at Churchill Downs, I’ll Have Another or some other late runner will nail him again. If Smith can settle Bodemeister early into a nice, easy, cruising speed, the others won’t have a prayer.

And that, of course, is on the assumption Bodemeister is not a cooked duck. He has a very thin racing foundation. He did not race as a two-year-old. His last two races — a blowout in the Arkansas Derby, a gut-twister in the Derby — may have knocked the starch out of him. At what point does fatigue set in?

I’ll Have Another, again, is being underrated. He has won three straight graded races, two of them Grade 1’s. Bodemeister has won just one Grade 1 and a maiden. I’ll Have Another has won $2 million, Bodemeister $1 million. I’ll Have Another has a superior profile, but Bodemeister probably will be favored again when they load them in the gate tomorrow.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse...#ixzz1vEGsl915

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-18-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old
05-19-2012, 09:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'm going to be out all day, but will find a spot for the Preakness. I say Bodemeister will go wire-to-wire as lone speed. Slow it down to 24:1, 47:4.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I'm def gon with Went The Day Well and Bodemeister and I'll throw in a long shot.

Not sure who to bet outta Daddy Noes, IHA and Creative Cause.

I liked Tiger Walk but now Desormeaux failed his Breathalyzer. So I might not bet a long shot at all. Maybe I'll go with Zetterholm cause its almost like Zetterberg or Optimizer.

Last edited by Big Poppa Puck: 05-19-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old
05-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Will make my pick later but I feel that there'll be no Triple Crown this year

Someone else is winning today.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:52 PM
flyersguy33*

any good sites out there, to ya know, make it rain?

Old
05-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
any good sites out there, to ya know, make it rain?
You should check the Preakness site. They might have sanctioned gambling links there.

Feels like Daddy Nose Best.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:53 PM
samwitch

I'll have another is owned by my mom's cousin, so you can guess who I'm rooting for! Horse racing is so much more exciting when you have a reason to root for a specific horse haha. Anyone do any betting? Anybody drop any money on this race?

Old
05-19-2012, 05:01 PM
flyersguy33*

Bodemeister first
Creative Cause second
I'll Have Another third

I'd throw $20 down on that, if I could

Old
05-19-2012, 05:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Don't sleep on Teeth of the Dog

Old
05-19-2012, 05:11 PM
flyersguy33*

Bodemeister being jockeyed by Mike Smith. Gona flop its way to the finish

Another jockey's brother died earlier today, hes still gona ride. Crazy

Old
05-19-2012, 05:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

What the hell, Joel Rosario's brother died today?

Closed Thread