HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Chris Kreider Thread 2.0 - Take Schroeder!!

Old
05-19-2012, 02:56 PM
trilobyte

vCash: 500
Kreider should be recognized for doing the kinds of things that get you goals.
Somebody taught him that it is important to go to the net, to make the goalie guess, to distract him. Nothing even to do with crease-crashing or running a goaltender.

Did most other Ranger forwards un-learn this basic precept over the years....?

Edit: until Kreider, I forgot what a well timed tip-in by the Rangers even looked like.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Kreider keeps excelling. I knew he'd come in and help out with his speed alone but this is just a pleasant surprise...hope he keeps it going

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:00 PM
JCrusher*

when kreids goes in front of the net he always makes something happen

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:06 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

In this series, Devils top line...one goal, Kreider, three goals. Who needs Parise?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:15 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
when kreids goes in front of the net he always makes something happen
Sadly he's the only one that does.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:16 PM
SnowblindNYR

5 goals in 15 games. Small sample but that's a 27 goal pace. Consider that he's just coming out of college and was a 4th liner for a few games. Even more impressive. We'd be home a long time ago (Ottawa series) if it wasn't for him.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Levitate

Already a Devils killer. 4 points in 3 games this series

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Lol. I shouldn't respond because based on this drivel your a pathetic little teenager with less than zero life experience.
Ok, then don't respond. And how do you know my age? You have nothing positive to say about yourself, so you make up some stuff like "pathetic little teenager" to make yourself feel better? FWIW, I suspect I've been watching hockey and having a job longer than you've been alive.

Quote:
Miller is 18 years old and he was supposed to light up the AHL instantly? And you're questioning my credibility?
No, he's not supposed to light up the AHL instantly. But there should probably be a basis for your claim that he's a star prospect. He wasn't drafted very early, he didn't light up the juniors, he didn't light up the AHL, he didn't dominate in Traverse, he wasn't amazing in preseason. He was ok. He wasn't bad. He played well. But he did nothing to make himself look like a star prospect.

Again, the main reason for your lack of credibility is that you praise everyone. I mean it. Go through your posts. I've actually paid attention to them for many months, and every time I stumble upon them, I see praise for our kids that goes above and beyond what everyone else writes.

Sure, someone can like this player or that player, but with you, I don't have to even bother reading, I know that there will be a glowing review without any acknowledgement that the kid has flaws.

Quote:
A point per game is only average? In a player's first season at that level? And you're questioning my credibility?
Yes, I am questioning your credibility if you think that being a point per game player in the OHL is an achievement. He was barely in the top-50 in the OHL. In any given year, there are about 150 PPG scorers in juniors. Are you telling me there will be 150 good NHL scorers coming out of this group of junior kids (not to mention many dozens more out of the NCAA and Europe)?

Scoring isn't everything, but since we are discussing scoring here and you think PPG is a major achievement, did you consider that freakin' McColgan just scored point per game. Ryan Bourque had over a point per game in juniors. Yogan scored well over a point per game (and no, he was NOT an overager).

In fact, of the 5 forwards we had in juniors this year, Miller scored the fewest number of points (though McColgan did play more games).

Quote:
Had you known what entails prospect development, you'd know racking up points in a teenage league isn't indicative of what kind of player he will be.
Thank you for the lesson... or more accurately, a comment that is said when nothing else can be argued. "Points aren't indicative" isn't an argument that he's a star prospect. I also can't score 100 points in the OHL, does that mean that I have some secret potential? As I've said, I've seen the kid play, I've seen his scouting reports, I've seen his stats, I've seen the position where he was drafted, and based on all of these, I'm having a hard time figuring out how a rational fan believes that right now, he's a star prospect.

Quote:
What prospects am i saying this about, since you've followed me so closely.
All of them. Literally, all of them. No matter the prospect or the young kid, your review of him is the single most glowing description on the page.

Quote:
What is Kreider doing right now?

Jeff Gorton, assistant GM, is on record as recently as last week, saying Miller will compete for an NHL position.
Yes, because no team has ever pumped up its prospects...

Maybe he'll compete for a spot but so did Dale Weise last September. It doesn't mean that he was projected as an offensive threat. (Please don't respond with a stupid retort that I'm claiming that Weise=Miller. You know what I mean here.)

You can scream all you want that what I'm saying isn't true, but if you review your own posts, you'll see that you are always the most optimistic person writing about whoever you are discussing.

I don't remember stumbling upon a single one of your posts where you expressed any doubt about any prospect.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:32 PM
eco's bones

5 goals. The first--he finds a seam in Ottawa's defense and scores from about 20 feet out. The next two were longer range snipes--fooled both Holtby and Brodeur with a very quick release in stride--not an easy thing to do to a quality NHL goalie. The last two have been tip ins. He's showing an ability to score goals in different ways.

He has some work to do---some of that will be addressed in the off season and in next year's training camp. For now though he is a breath of fresh air or a shot of adrenalin in the arm. Rangers would not be as far along as they are if he'd stayed at school and signed over the summer. Most exciting draft pick in a long, long time.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:58 PM
sfox7076

But playoff points are harder to get than regular season usually. Ask Gaborik...

sfox7076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:35 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Yeah I knew nothing about him but his commitment to Boston College was an immediate turnoff for me.
Same here.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:47 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
I used to be big into the draft in the late 80's early 90's and such. Not anymore. It's crazy what an 18 y/o draft looks like 3 years down the road. That said..........

Looking back though at that thread is pretty funny, some of the posters that I like reading were so wrong it wasn't funny, (German Way of War) and others that I wasn't sure about or didn't really know, were absolutely correct. (Jonathon, Jas, few others)

I know that only a small amount of posters actually watch the players enough to make an informed opinion. It is pretty funny how picks that look to be spot on (yeah I know it's still early) garnered so much polarization.

As far as Hugh Jessiman/Kreider. Sather made the exact same mistake as Jessiman with a guy named Joe Hulbig in 92' as Edmonton's gm. I think they were almost identical, I cringed thinking about that. However, Kreider is nothing like that at all, not sure how that comparison got made.

The only thing I was mad about was him going to BC. To me, picking a BC-bound kid was a kiss of death. I had little knowledge of the pick, TBH. In all fairness, Kreider has (so far) defied the odds by being a productive NHL goal scorer after being at Boston College.

I gotta give Kreider credit -- York did everything to keep this kid down for two seasons but he was just too damn skilled to let it stifle his development.

Also, Schroeder had a very good season in the AHL this year. At both ends of the ice. He's developing nicely. It's just hard to crack a President's trophy team. He should get a look next year.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:48 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

CBC mentioned that Kreider set an NHL record for most playoff goals scored by someone who never played a regular season game.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:51 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
This discussion revisiting the run up to the 2009 draft and it's immediate aftermath reminds me of something:

People love to pop off about things they know nothing about.

....and it usually turns into comedy gold as it will in this case.

I remember all this hype about Schroeder, and why we should take him or should have taken him. Now we hear about these interviews, LOL!

Thank God we have some people who actually know what they are talking about running the Rangers draft.
True, but you cant say that any other player would have been a bust. Kreider has been put in a good situation where he wasnt expected to be the savior of a franchise.

I'm starting to believe the Rangers are slowly becoming the old Devils/Red Wings, in that no matter who you draft, they will fit into the system and contribute.

Old
05-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I'm starting to believe the Rangers are slowly becoming the old Devils/Red Wings, in that no matter who you draft, they will fit into the system and contribute.
That's the feeling that I have been having as well. I remember in the 90s when the Debbies would draft someone, his stock would immediately rise in my either just because I thought the Debs knew what they were doing, and usually that was accurate.

It seems like the Rangers are becoming something like that as well. From 2004 to 2009, we drafted one guy in the top-10, so we aren't talking about us having a bunch of top-5 picks.

The result? We drafted 14 NHLers, plus guys like Grachev, Werek, Bourque, who still have hope, as well as Cherry who died. Of these players, there were 10 guys who are average or better NHLers (Callahan, Dubinsky, Korps, Kreider, Anisimov, Hagelin, Stepan, Del Zotto, Staal, Sauer.)

If we could do half as well from 2010 to 2015 (meaning we draft 5 average or better NHLers plus 2-3 more low-end ones), I will be very happy.

To be able to average 2-3 NHLers per draft is unreal.

Old
05-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
The only thing I was mad about was him going to BC. To me, picking a BC-bound kid was a kiss of death. I had little knowledge of the pick, TBH. In all fairness, Kreider has (so far) defied the odds by being a productive NHL goal scorer after being at Boston College.

I gotta give Kreider credit -- York did everything to keep this kid down for two seasons but he was just too damn skilled to let it stifle his development.

Also, Schroeder had a very good season in the AHL this year. At both ends of the ice. He's developing nicely. It's just hard to crack a President's trophy team. He should get a look next year.
Hahah don't worry I still enjoy reading your posts, they are usually insightful. It is not an easy task to be correct on an 18 y/o kid.

Quote:
This is certainly what it looks like to me as well. It is very encouraging.

Last edited by Miamipuck: 05-19-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
You are always so optimistic about everyone. Every time I see your post about any of our top prospects, you are foaming at the mouth with love. I know you will respond by giving me a couple examples where you deviated from the rule, but I've actually paid attention to your posts in the recent months, and every one that I remember was, "omg! Our guy is the greatest. It's unbelievable how good he is." To be honest with you, it detracts from your credibility.

Miller had a very average season. He only scored ppg in juniors as the team's 5th scorer, then only 1 point in 8 AHL games. From the games I've seen, the kid right now looks like a downgraded version of Brandon Dubinsky. Kind of what Dubi was this year as he struggled to score.

I'm not saying he can't improve. Look at Callahan. The Rangers refused to give him an NHL contract at the age of 20 and he had to go back for an overager season. But he showed tremendous improvement since. But we don't know that Miller will improve above and beyond reasonable expectations. The truth is that right now, he's looking increasingly like a future third liner. Let's hope he can improve next year and rise up beyond current expectations.
I don't always agree with SSM, but all you do when you talk about prospects is extrapolate off their junior scoring numbers. That's it. It's very clear to me that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about as far as prospect development goes. You appear to have very little grasp of how speed, skill, shot, size, play in traffic, compete level, etc translate to the higher levels. You're even off base about SSM, because he trashes Christian Thomas' hockey IQ pretty regularly.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
To be able to average 2-3 NHLers per draft is unreal.
Honestly it's good that they hit on Kreider in 2009 cuz the rest of that draft is looking mediocre

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

another game where he was the best forward on the ice. liked him with gaborik and richards. he made a ton of space, but i would rather see:
hagelin/richards/callahan
kreider/stepan/gaborik

more defense from stepan, cally/rich had some success during the regular season, kreider made a LOT of space for gaborik. hagelin fits with richards better than gaborik (richards makes his own lanes--gaborik does not).

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Lone Ranger

In my mind, five goals in fifteen games, against playoff caliber goaltenders and defenses, not to mention playoff level intensity, is equal to at least seven or eight goals in the regular season. Kreider is the real deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
5 goals in 15 games. Small sample but that's a 27 goal pace. Consider that he's just coming out of college and was a 4th liner for a few games. Even more impressive. We'd be home a long time ago (Ottawa series) if it wasn't for him.

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:14 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

We were almost a Presidents' trophy team and Kreider cracked the NYR.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Honestly it's good that they hit on Kreider in 2009 cuz the rest of that draft is looking mediocre

Horak is also an NHLer. Getting one top-6, one bottom-6 is a good draft.

Old
05-19-2012, 06:26 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Can CK get 10 goals this year? That would be amazing.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Krams
Carpe dizzem

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Can CK get 10 goals this year? That would be amazing.
He's been flying the last three games. I don't think it's necessarily unrealistic.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:59 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Kreider showed his excellent eye hand coordination in the 2010 WJC. His last two goals were deflections. He never really showed that ability at BC.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote