HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NBC in the DC/Baltimore area today

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2012, 08:43 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 822
NBC in the DC/Baltimore area today

Pretty amazing that NBC did not show game 3 on NBC (as advertised), NBCSN, CNBC, or even MSNBC.

I tuned in at 1pm to find some show about hats and shoes that people are wearing to the Preakness on NBC (5 hours before the actual stupid horse race), Indy time trials on NBCSN, and infomercials on their other channels.

They seriously relegated game 3 of round 3 to some unknown cable channel called WRC or something that took me 25 minutes to find after scrolling all 900 channels.

So much for "every game every night" huh.

p.s. and it wasn't in HD

Old
05-19-2012, 08:58 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
That's pretty sad.

I hope, one day, that hockey will get the US coverage indicative of how great a sport it is.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Sounds like an issue with your local affiliate, not NBC itself.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:02 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Yep.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:06 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
You realize local NBC is still NBC right? There is no overarching SUPER NBC, every NBC that you ever turn on is a "local affiliate" depending where you live.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Levitate

I didn't even know it was on a different channel. I didn't find it, I watched the whole thing on a stream. They didn't even say anything like "hey you can watch the hockey game on this channel"

It was also literally 5 hours of pre-gaming a less than 2 minute horse race. They spent 5 hours talking about the kind of food people were eating at the race track. It was the most ridiculous thing

e: I should really write NBC and the NHL and complain. I understand they're trying to make the Preakness a big deal in the area (since I believe it's been doing poorly and they've come close to getting rid of it) but this was handled very poorly

Old
05-19-2012, 09:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
You realize local NBC is still NBC right? There is no overarching SUPER NBC, every NBC that you ever turn on is a "local affiliate" depending where you live.
Uh, yes there is. Ever hear of 30 Rockefeller Center?

Old
05-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Pretty amazing that NBC did not show game 3 on NBC (as advertised), NBCSN, CNBC, or even MSNBC.

I tuned in at 1pm to find some show about hats and shoes that people are wearing to the Preakness on NBC (5 hours before the actual stupid horse race), Indy time trials on NBCSN, and infomercials on their other channels.

They seriously relegated game 3 of round 3 to some unknown cable channel called WRC or something that took me 25 minutes to find after scrolling all 900 channels.

So much for "every game every night" huh.

p.s. and it wasn't in HD
Seeing as the event is held in Baltimore, I don't blame the local affiliate.

That is certainly a much bigger deal than two out of market teams competing in a sport not named the MLB, NBA or NFL.

It also happens to be the lead story on Yahoo Sports as we speak.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:23 PM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 131
Sad but true

Old
05-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Levitate

That's pretty understandable, though 5 hours of the ******** they put on TV was ridiculous, but something should have been arranged for hockey fans in the area. There was really no warning that they wouldn't be showing the game or any clue where the game might be found

Old
05-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Look, I'm a big horse racing fan, huge Lava Man fan (who made an appearance today ) and it was an amazing race, very exciting stuff, but I'm sorry, a two minute race doesn't need as much coverage as it has been given

Old
05-19-2012, 09:28 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

it was on NBC Sports right?

Old
05-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Levitate

5 hours! 5 hours of hats and food and people talking about the weather! 5!

They could have shown the entire game and still had 2 hours to talk about hats and food and the weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
it was on NBC Sports right?
No it wasn't. NBC Sports had their regular programming on; motorcycle racing I believe

Old
05-19-2012, 09:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Look, I'm a big horse racing fan, huge Lava Man fan (who made an appearance today ) and it was an amazing race, very exciting stuff, but I'm sorry, a two minute race doesn't need as much coverage as it has been given
Tell that to all the people counting the money that is made because of the 2-minute race. Louisville, Kentucky survives as a city-county because of one 2-minute race. It's less vital to the economy, but as important to the culture of Baltimore.

The Belmont Stakes long ago sold out on traditions and culture.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:36 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
Tell that to all the people counting the money that is made because of the 2-minute race. Louisville, Kentucky survives as a city-county because of one 2-minute race. It's less vital to the economy, but as important to the culture of Baltimore.

Look none of us here give a **** that they want to show 5 hours of hats and food and shoes. The problem comes when they advertise the game as a national telecast and then all of a sudden don't show it on ANY NBC network.

Like I said I found it by luck on some made up cable channel having nothing to do with NBC and hell I even googled the local papers and the Baltimore papers and both had the game listed on NBC.

I don't care if hats and food bring them more money, but at least move it somewhere people can watch or put out a press release or something? I'm sure people in Baltimore didn't give a **** about the Indy 500 trials on NBCSN, coulda put it on there just as easy.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3025
Quote:
Look none of us here give a **** that they want to show 5 hours of hats and food and shoes. The problem comes when they advertise the game as a national telecast and then all of a sudden don't show it on ANY NBC network.

Like I said I found it by luck on some made up cable channel having nothing to do with NBC and hell I even googled the local papers and the Baltimore papers and both had the game listed on NBC.

I don't care if hats and food bring them more money, but at least move it somewhere people can watch or put out a press release or something? I'm sure people in Baltimore didn't give a **** about the Indy 500 trials on NBCSN, coulda put it on there just as easy.
They did show it on an NBC network. Apparently WRC is owned by NBC.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Old
05-19-2012, 09:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

Sounds like you need to work the phones of your NBC affiliate and convince them that 'no one cares' about whatever programming they show every year, at the same time, before a specific event. Because they trust those viewers more than they trust you.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:

That's because in New York we get things done quickly

Old
05-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:

You still don't get it. This was your LOCAL affiliate's decision to move it to another channel, still owned by NBC. It's not even like they didn't show it at all. You're mad because your small subsection of the NBC conglomerate had to look for it for five minutes.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:51 PM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
You still don't get it. This was your LOCAL affiliate's decision to move it to another channel, still owned by NBC. It's not even like they didn't show it at all. You're mad because your small subsection of the NBC conglomerate had to look for it for five minutes.
I think the bigger issue is that the game is not getting the exposure it normally would.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevscup30 View Post
I think the bigger issue is that the game is not getting the exposure it normally would.
The biggest issue is that the Capitals didn't make it, so 95% of the people who would otherwise care, don't.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:58 PM
tim

vCash: 50
I'm in the DC market and saw the full game on NBC as usual. I read beforehand this would only impact Baltimore.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Sounds like it was your issue that you're trying to blame on NBC

Old
05-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3025
Quote:
I missed about 5 minutes actually, but usually when I go on the local website of the channel I expect to see a schedule that is real not a national one that does not reflect what they are showing.

I'd like to see where the above poster actually read his information.

In any case the whole post was directed at the fact that a 5 hour show about hats and food and shoes was more amusing (and more lucrative) than a 3rd round playoff game. You do realize the actual Preakness show was a 2 hour block after the game right?
You do realize that more people would rather watch the Preakness than the hockey game right? It's ridiculous, I know, but it's a fact.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:56 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
You do realize that more people would rather watch the Preakness than the hockey game right? It's ridiculous, I know, but it's a fact.
Again, you might not realize, but the actual Preakness was a 2 hour show after 4 pm right? The time we are talking about was a 4 hour pregame show to the 2 hour show. I find it hard to believe people in Baltimore were glued to their tv for 4 hours prior to the 2 hours leading up to the 2 minute race.

Closed Thread