HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Santos-Markstrom to stay in San Antonio Another Year

Old
05-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Tuco

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
This is the perfect time to "flex" that flexibility. Clearly Markstrom isn't quite at the level they wanted him to be at this point, but then again you can't divine what a player is going to train and practice like in the offseason and can't rule him out of a job already 4 months before training camp. Signing a cheap(this is not necessarily derogatory) backup would be ideal in this case.

The goaltending position at the NHL is so competitive now and there are only 30 teams, look at the UFA list, including guys fighting to get into the NHL full time like Bishop and Lehner, and free agents from overseas like Vehanen. There are going to be quality goalies unsigned and without a chair when the music stops. It gets more competitive for goalies every summer. It's not like we'd be picking up some scrub. If you were a North American born, not necessarily but for emphasis, goalie who's priority is the NHL, and you have a choice between going overseas to play or settling for a near minimum salary in the NHL, which is about what you'd make in Europe anyway, which would you choose? Goaltending now is so much better and more competitive than it was 20 years ago. The difference between the best goalie in the league today and the worst goalie in the league is less than the difference between the best starter in the league 20 years ago and the worst starter in the league 20 years ago. If we had to "settle" for a guy like Gustavsson or Mason, would that really be so horrible?
All you say here makes good sense. Thought your "cheap" was worse than you explain now. Obviously, if Tallon thinks he can get a good enough second goalie after camp, then he should wait since he can make a more informed decision then.

However, my feeling is that so far Tallon has been quite quick in pulling the trigger as regards signing and trading players. He seems to want to make sure he gets the guys he wants before anyone else.

We'll see how he plays it this time.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Jessica
NHL, AHL, & KHL lovr

Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
Quote:
He's an RFA.
Thank you, I wonder what will happen to him. I know he did an okay good down in the ECHL. Do you all think he would be given a qualifying offer? Also if they do give him one, he would be back up to Markstrom if Markstrom gets sent down, since we do not know the contract status of Grumet-Morris.

Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:28 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
However, my feeling is that so far Tallon has been quite quick in pulling the trigger as regards signing and trading players. He seems to want to make sure he gets the guys he wants before anyone else.

It's not as exciting as waiting to know who would be our starter last summer, but the ramification are quite interesting.

Last edited by p9ers: 05-20-2012 at 01:34 PM.
p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:26 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Maybe we should forget about Clemmer and go after the relative unknown in Team Finland goalie Petri Vehanen, at age 34 he seems to be having a Tim Thomas revival. Unless someone else has his rights of course....

It would be a good move, everyone knows of course that Finnish goalies are generally better than Swedish ones anyway
Now that you mentioned available finnish goalies, I'll add Hannu Toivonen (age 28??), former Bruins (Thomas' backup). Swedish team Malmo released him, so.. If that's not enough, I have another one, Vesa Toskala (San Jose, Toronto), i'm sure that Ilves (finnish team, Tampere) will release him if needed (not serious about this one).

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:26 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Now that you mentioned available finnish goalies, I'll add Hannu Toivonen (age 28??), former Bruins (Thomas' backup). Swedish team Malmo released him, so.. If that's not enough, I have another one, Vesa Toskala (San Jose, Toronto), i'm sure that Ilves (finnish team, Tampere) will release him if needed (not serious about this one).

JOL
Toskala? Toivonen? Why not throw David Aebischer's name in there too. I'd much rather pay more for Clemmenson if it comes to that.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Erick

MR brought up Gustavsson which is interesting. Personally, I think he's terrible and hate watching him in net, but he certainly has the raw skill to make some amazing saves.

Perhaps with a different goalie coach he can turn into a gem here.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:42 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
MR brought up Gustavsson which is interesting. Personally, I think he's terrible and hate watching him in net, but he certainly has the raw skill to make some amazing saves.

Our organization has a rep of making average goalies look above average and above average goalies look like god.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:51 AM
SARampage

DGM did sign another AHL contract for next year. But it's not one owned by the Rampage (i.e. Spurs ownership). So if Florida does not come back he will go to whatever AHL team they sign with. Foster I think will not be offered a contract. And I'll leave it up to Tallon and Santos on Jacob. But I do agree to see if he can stay healthy being top goalie down here.

And to those who think he's doing it to sell tickets your crazy. We managed quite well without having him here. We been in the top 10 in attendance these past couple years. We follow the team, not 1 player.

SARampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
ShootIt

Quote:

Perhaps with a a real defense in front of him he can turn into a gem here.
Fixed.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Kate

This might help with the Grumet-Morris contract quandary.... I could be wrong, but it looks like he is "property" (for lack of a better word) of SA Rampage for the 2012-2013 season.

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11928

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Jessica
NHL, AHL, & KHL lovr

Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
Well for sure we shall find out in about 4 months wheither Marky is there or here. Or, until we hear anything about them signing Clemmer.

Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
zeroG

Quote:
I don't see the big deal with having "cheap guy" as a backup goalie, if that ends up being the scenario.

A backup gets approximately 30 games per season in the regular season (and this is assuming Markstrom stays in the AHL all year as it's certainly possible that he can start in the A and get a callup midseason).

There are plenty of goalies in the AHL who could be backups in the NHL. It basically happens every year where no-name goalies get called up and have occasional hot stretches.

Goalies are sort of like middle relievers who become closers in baseball; some of them just need the opportunity.

Scott Clemmensen was recently once the "cheap guy" nobody knew. It took a Martin Brodeur injury for Scott Clemmensen to have an NHL career. Were it not for that injury, Clemmensen would probably still be a journeyman, going back and forth between NHL/AHL.

The downgrade between current AHL goaltenders and the Scott Clemmensen's of the world is minimal. In some cases, it doesn't even exist.

Let's not forget that many on this very board hated Scott Clemmensen before this year began and it took 25 (small sample size and a contract year, at that) regular season starts to change those opinions.

The goal here should be to have roster flexibility, knowing that you have a great prospect (Markstrom) capable of potentially earning a spot out of camp, as well as your starter already under contract (Theodore).

Thank Clemmer for his contributions and let him move on to another team.
there's a HUGE difference between clemmer and DGM. clemmer was the full-time backup to brodeur for several years. he may have signed a 2-way deal a couple of times but he was never looking for AHL work. he was, perhaps, unfortunate to have been drafted by a team that would never give him a chance to compete for a starting job and thus never really had an opportunity to show what he could do. DGM has played well but let's remember, he didn't have an _AHL_ contract going into this year. there no chance dale tallon will put an unproven guy like that in a backup role. we'd be dead this year if clemmer didn't come through for us. lucky for us, we had the confidence (most of us) that clemmer could handle it because.... HE HAS. tallon will not hang our season on a guy who's bounced between the A and ECHL.

marky wasn't dominant this year and wasn't healthy all year. if our GM decides it's best for him to continue to hone his game in the A, then i'll trust them. if so, there's probably no better guy out there than clemmer. he won't be expensive.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:39 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
there's a HUGE difference between clemmer and DGM. clemmer was the full-time backup to brodeur for several years. he may have signed a 2-way deal a couple of times but he was never looking for AHL work. he was, perhaps, unfortunate to have been drafted by a team that would never give him a chance to compete for a starting job and thus never really had an opportunity to show what he could do. DGM has played well but let's remember, he didn't have an _AHL_ contract going into this year. there no chance dale tallon will put an unproven guy like that in a backup role. we'd be dead this year if clemmer didn't come through for us. lucky for us, we had the confidence (most of us) that clemmer could handle it because.... HE HAS. tallon will not hang our season on a guy who's bounced between the A and ECHL.

marky wasn't dominant this year and wasn't healthy all year. if our GM decides it's best for him to continue to hone his game in the A, then i'll trust them. if so, there's probably no better guy out there than clemmer. he won't be expensive.
I'm all in for having Clemmenson back. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him a 2 million/1 year deal in free agency and it makes no sense at all to have him making the same amount or more than Theodore. If he's willing to accept less, Tallon should just sign his extension now.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Maybe this will serve as motivation for him in training camp! I mean if Marks comes to camp and plays really well I doubt he goes back to the AHL!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

I don't know what the status of Anton Khudobin is with Boston, but I would give this guy a chance if Markie is to go to the AHL, I like what I've seen from him and would rather sign him than resign Clemmer or anyone else to be honest

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:22 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I'm all in for having Clemmenson back. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him a 2 million/1 year deal in free agency and it makes no sense at all to have him making the same amount or more than Theodore. If he's willing to accept less, Tallon should just sign his extension now.
clemmenson or another guy like him - there are others. someone who has and can still start 30 games if you need him to and give you reasonable NHL goaltending. tallon knows he needs that reliability. he's not going to skimp on a million dollars for a 2nd goaltender when that could be the difference between some home playoff games versus none.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:35 AM
SARampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
I don't know what the status of Anton Khudobin is with Boston, but I would give this guy a chance if Markie is to go to the AHL, I like what I've seen from him and would rather sign him than resign Clemmer or anyone else to be honest
Khudobin has a one way contract with Boston. Rask is an RFA. No one's brought up his name. But he will at least double his contract amount on his resigning.

Old
05-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARampage View Post
Khudobin has a one way contract with Boston. Rask is an RFA. No one's brought up his name. But he will at least double his contract amount on his resigning.
What are the implications of a 1 way contract for us?

Old
05-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

If we are looking for another Goalie would Curtis Sanford be a viable option? He has always put up good numbers in the AHL and played over 30 games for the Blue Jackets this year with a .911%. Plus he was signed to a two way contract last year and could be willing to accept another one this time round.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
All you say here makes good sense. Thought your "cheap" was worse than you explain now. Obviously, if Tallon thinks he can get a good enough second goalie after camp, then he should wait since he can make a more informed decision then.

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of signing a cheap backup in July or August and then giving Marky a fair shot against him in training camp. If Marky beats him out, then send the cheap goalie down to the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Thank you, I wonder what will happen to him. I know he did an okay good down in the ECHL. Do you all think he would be given a qualifying offer? Also if they do give him one, he would be back up to Markstrom if Markstrom gets sent down, since we do not know the contract status of Grumet-Morris.
I don't think he gets re-signed. At this point it doesn't look like he'll amount to much. The Panthers are going to have to make tough decisions this summer and even more the summer after because we have so many prospects now and there's a 50 contract limit. I think we'll let our ECHL team find their own goalie.

Quote:

Gustavsson has his shortcomings like all backups, but he is capable of getting hot just like Clemmer. Also as ShootIt said, with a better defense, I do think he would have looked better last season. He does let in some terrible goals sometimes but then again so does Clemmer and Theo. Just for a year or so, I think he'd be adequate.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
What are the implications of a 1 way contract for us?
That means he gets paid the same amount whether he plays in the NHL or AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post
If we are looking for another Goalie would Curtis Sanford be a viable option? He has always put up good numbers in the AHL and played over 30 games for the Blue Jackets this year with a .911%. Plus he was signed to a two way contract last year and could be willing to accept another one this time round.
I would approve of Sanford. I assume the Jackets will bring him back but they might not depending on if they move Mason.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
That means he gets paid the same amount whether he plays in the NHL or AHL.
Ok but how does this get in the way of us trading for him? I think he's a perfect option if we are indeed going to keep Markie in the AHL. Anton would "back up" Theodore, but it can be a potential fight for 1st, and if I'm not mistaken he just had 1 year left in his cheap contract Markie will be here after that and he could leave if it doesn't work out

Old
05-27-2012, 01:37 PM
SARampage

What's your love for this guy? If Boston signed him then I doubt they have any interest in trading him at this moment. Either Rask or Thomas is probably not going to be back for them. So he's a shoe in for there backup position. He looked okay playing in Houston. But if he couldn't make it playing for there parent team, he surely isn't worth trading for to play in Florida.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARampage View Post
What's your love for this guy? If Boston signed him then I doubt they have any interest in trading him at this moment. Either Rask or Thomas is probably not going to be back for them. So he's a shoe in for there backup position. He looked okay playing in Houston. But if he couldn't make it playing for there parent team, he surely isn't worth trading for to play in Florida.
wow there come down, just think he's a good option can't put options on the table now?

The reason I keep bringing him up is because people keep talking about the fact that he has a 1 way contract, and I just keep asking what does that have to do with the prospect of us trading for him...

So he's not worth being a back up for us, yet he's a lock to be Boston's? okay....let's keep the great Clemmensen or go after the mighty Gustavsson

Old
05-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
wow there come down, just think he's a good option can't put options on the table now?

The reason I keep bringing him up is because people keep talking about the fact that he has a 1 way contract, and I just keep asking what does that have to do with the prospect of us trading for him...

So he's not worth being a back up for us, yet he's a lock to be Boston's? okay....let's keep the great Clemmensen or go after the mighty Gustavsson
I still dont see why Markstrom won't be up next season. I understand injury and wanting more time to develop, but while with the team and playing this past season, I think he was pretty darn good for a rookie fill in.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote