HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Nash Thread (all things Nash here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 04:27 PM
leesmith
Still in.

vCash: 500
I had a dream. It was an awesome dream.

Edmonton picked Murray. CBJ drafted Yakapov, then promptly traded Rick Nash and LA's #1 pick to Washington for Ovechkin.
I woke up before I found out if those guys waived their NTC.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I had a dream. It was an awesome dream.

Edmonton picked Murray. CBJ drafted Yakapov, then promptly traded Rick Nash and LA's #1 pick to Washington for Ovechkin.
I woke up before I found out if those guys waived their NTC.
That would be something to behold, two more failed Russian forwards in Clumbus...

Old
05-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That would be something to behold, two more failed Russian forwards in Clumbus...
If I had to guess today and we are a long way away:

Toronto: Nash
CBJ: Gardiner+5th overall + some random top 6 forward

We take Yakupov (Edmonton passes) and Galchenyuk

Result: Toronto makes the playoffs next year, and the CBJ's future is in the hands of 2 Russian forwards panning out (Yes...I know Galchenyuk was born in America). It would be a big gamble that would make or break the club....Man, I can't wait until the trade talk heats up the next month.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:02 PM
MapleJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
If I had to guess today and we are a long way away:

Toronto: Nash
CBJ: Gardiner+5th overall + some random top 6 forward

We take Yakupov (Edmonton passes) and Galchenyuk

Result: Toronto makes the playoffs next year, and the CBJ's future is in the hands of 2 Russian forwards panning out (Yes...I know Galchenyuk was born in America). It would be a big gamble that would make or break the club....Man, I can't wait until the trade talk heats up the next month.
i doubt we get gardiner and the 5th.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:02 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleJ View Post
i doubt we get gardiner and the 5th.
Considering they don't have really anything else of interest to trade, they gotta give up something of value

Old
05-19-2012, 03:17 AM
georgiabluejacket

Saw on hockeybuzz(I know Eklund and his stupidity) but I thought it interesting that he put as 1 of his 7 teams: "Montreal. The Canadiens did try and did come "closer than was reported by most" to getting a deal done. This summer, with a new GM (who Nash very much respects) and a new coach the Habs will be involved. Plekanec would likely have to be included."

The first thing that came to my mind was the #3 pick. Now we're talking 2 out of Murray, Yakupov, & Galchenyuk. Couple that with Johansen & Atkinson and I think we'd have a VERY good base for turning this franchise around. I'd almost trade Nash just for draft picks if we could get the #3. I mean what's the worst that could happen? We finish last and end up with Jones or Mackinnon next year.

Old
05-19-2012, 07:02 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
Saw on hockeybuzz(I know Eklund and his stupidity) but I thought it interesting that he put as 1 of his 7 teams: "Montreal. The Canadiens did try and did come "closer than was reported by most" to getting a deal done. This summer, with a new GM (who Nash very much respects) and a new coach the Habs will be involved. Plekanec would likely have to be included."

The first thing that came to my mind was the #3 pick. Now we're talking 2 out of Murray, Yakupov, & Galchenyuk. Couple that with Johansen & Atkinson and I think we'd have a VERY good base for turning this franchise around. I'd almost trade Nash just for draft picks if we could get the #3. I mean what's the worst that could happen? We finish last and end up with Jones or Mackinnon next year.
I like your line of thinking. Plus as an added bonus it probably means the end of Howson. And if the Jackets had that opportunity I'd go for "Yak & Yuk". They could be the Jackets version of Richards & ******.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:19 PM
EDM

Do you think we could actually get Plekanec and Montreal's first for Nash?

Old
05-19-2012, 01:41 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Personally, the Habs don't have many pieces that interest me. Plekanec is a bit over-rated IMO. I would want one of Subban/Pacioretty and the 3rd but that probably isn't going to happen.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:29 PM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I like your line of thinking. Plus as an added bonus it probably means the end of Howson. And if the Jackets had that opportunity I'd go for "Yak & Yuk". They could be the Jackets version of Richards & ******.
What I was thinking. The "great pittsburgh way of drafting" Completely suck for 5 years, get either the #1 or 2 pick. Act like your a great finder of talent.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
What I was thinking. The "great pittsburgh way of drafting" Completely suck for 5 years, get either the #1 or 2 pick. Act like your a great finder of talent.
Only if they're phenoms. Ottawa had exactly the same thing (#2 in 1992, #1 in 1993, #3 in 1994, #1 in 1995, #1 in 1996). Those picks were Alexei Yashin, Alexandre Daigle, Radek Bonk, Bryan Berard (traded before playing a game, to the Islanders, for the guy picked right after him [Wade Redden]), and Chris Phillips.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:42 PM
CapnCornelius

I had a lengthy post all ready to go and then the Internet swallowed it...so, here goes again.

I think it comes down to 5 teams and I don't think the NYR are one of them.

1. San Jose. Eklund was right about this much--they were the mystery top bidder and Pavelski was included. I think you are looking at a deal involving Pavelski, their #1 pick and one of Murray or Greiss. It continues the theme of Jack Johnson, RJ Umberger and James Wisniewski--American-born players leading the team going forward. If it happens, consider this a sign of Craig Patrick's influence. This is a pretty solid package with a mid-first round pick and two players that address needs.

2. Toronto. #5 overall pick, Luke Schenn (or Carl Gunarsson, though I think for cap reasons, Schenn is easier) and some additional consideration. The additional consideration is the sticking point in this deal. I'd avoid Lupul--party boy and friend of one Jeff Carter. I'd fight to have MacArthur included over someone like Kadri. I don't see enough upside in Kadri at this point and I view MacArthur as the sort of blue collar type that still has offensive capability who'd be a great addition. If Burke was feeling generous, I also love Mike Brown. Great bottom 6 player who makes guys keep their head up and just an amazing energy level.

3. Washington. Two first round picks, one of which could net a nice defensive prospect. The third asset (and, possibly fourth asset) are more difficult. Neuvirth and those two picks is not enough. Don't see Alzner or Carlsson as likely options and, quite frankly, I don't think Carlson is what we need. The Caps might like to make Mike Green the centerpiece, but the very reasons for that are the reasons we should shy away--coming off an injury, due a new contract too much risk and possibly not enough reward. And, as with Carlson, probably not what we need on the back end.

4. Montreal. The #3 overall pick is tempting. But this is the sort of year where that pick is risky, which is one reason the Habs might consider trading it. While the Habs have cap room, I'm not sure they offer us what we need and I think they'd probably be better served keeping that pick, taking a guy like Grigorenko and adding Semin in the off-season (they have a penchant for Russian players). I'd want Subban if I'm trading with Montreal, but I'm not sure they'd consider that for a nano-second and he (1) was just injured preparing for the World Championships and (2) is an RFA looking for a pay raise.

5. Boston. I think this is a tough deal to make for Boston given their cap situation and if it happens, they are likely to include Tim Thomas to make it work from there end. Were I them, I'd ask whether Nash is enough of an upgrade over a guy like Krecji to even consider it (assuming, as has been suggested, that is their centerpiece). At 24th overall, the pick they offer isn't of great value--not much better than LA's. I think there are other deals which we can make to get Thomas and give Boston cap room for free agent signings while adding a true #1 goalie. As such, the odds of a deal with Boston are low.

Even if you added the Rangers, I think the Leafs and Sharks would provide the most immediate value with some additional value going forward. Either trade adds a roster player in an important position. I'm not even sure that Pavelski is a significant downgrade from Nash on his own. Add in two other assets and I think the trade is a no-brainer. With the Toronto deal, I think Schenn has been unfairly criticized and ultimately will be a great shutdown defenseman. And consider that he'll possibly be on a third pairing with Moore, allowing Moore to play a little looser and allowing us to more evenly distribute the minutes for our defensemen. Plus a #5 pick that could return either one of the many quality defensemen in the draft or a skilled forward.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:43 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Only if they're phenoms. Ottawa had exactly the same thing (#2 in 1992, #1 in 1993, #3 in 1994, #1 in 1995, #1 in 1996). Those picks were Alexei Yashin, Alexandre Daigle, Radek Bonk, Bryan Berard (traded before playing a game, to the Islanders, for the guy picked right after him [Wade Redden]), and Chris Phillips.
Looks like they had Jacket luck both in terms of who they took and also who was available. Those years didn't have a lot of top guys drafted in the first round.

Although with true Jacket prescience/luck they did take the highly touted Daigle over a guy named Chris Pronger and in 1995 I think Iginla was drafted 8th.

Drafts now seem to produce more good players than during that stretch although one of the years (1993) produced a lot of pretty good players.

I'd still take my chances with Plekanec and the 3rd and maybe something else and figure the Jackets will pick top 3 next year. close to).

Old
05-19-2012, 03:47 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I had a lengthy post all ready to go and then the Internet swallowed it...so, here goes again.

1. San Jose. Eklund was right about this much--they were the mystery top bidder and Pavelski was included. I think you are looking at a deal involving Pavelski, their #1 pick and one of Murray or Greiss. It continues the theme of Jack Johnson, RJ Umberger and James Wisniewski--American-born players leading the team going forward. If it happens, consider this a sign of Craig Patrick's influence. This is a pretty solid package with a mid-first round pick and two players that address needs.

2. Toronto. #5 overall pick, Luke Schenn (or Carl Gunarsson, though I think for cap reasons, Schenn is easier) and some additional consideration. The additional consideration is the sticking point in this deal. I'd avoid Lupul--party boy and friend of one Jeff Carter. I'd fight to have MacArthur included over someone like Kadri. I don't see enough upside in Kadri at this point and I view MacArthur as the sort of blue collar type that still has offensive capability who'd be a great addition. If Burke was feeling generous, I also love Mike Brown. Great bottom 6 player who makes guys keep their head up and just an amazing energy level.

3. Washington. Two first round picks, one of which could net a nice defensive prospect. The third asset (and, possibly fourth asset) are more difficult. Neuvirth and those two picks is not enough. Don't see Alzner or Carlsson as likely options and, quite frankly, I don't think Carlson is what we need. The Caps might like to make Mike Green the centerpiece, but the very reasons for that are the reasons we should shy away--coming off an injury, due a new contract too much risk and possibly not enough reward. And, as with Carlson, probably not what we need on the back end.

4. Montreal. The #3 overall pick is tempting. But this is the sort of year where that pick is risky, which is one reason the Habs might consider trading it. While the Habs have cap room, I'm not sure they offer us what we need and I think they'd probably be better served keeping that pick, taking a guy like Grigorenko and adding Semin in the off-season (they have a penchant for Russian players). I'd want Subban if I'm trading with Montreal, but I'm not sure they'd consider that for a nano-second and he (1) was just injured preparing for the World Championships and (2) is an RFA looking for a pay raise.

5. Boston. I think this is a tough deal to make for Boston given their cap situation and if it happens, they are likely to include Tim Thomas to make it work from there end. Were I them, I'd ask whether Nash is enough of an upgrade over a guy like Krecji to even consider it (assuming, as has been suggested, that is their centerpiece). At 24th overall, the pick they offer isn't of great value--not much better than LA's. I think there are other deals which we can make to get Thomas and give Boston cap room for free agent signings while adding a true #1 goalie. As such, the odds of a deal with Boston are low.

Even if you added the Rangers, I think the Leafs and Sharks would provide the most immediate value with some additional value going forward. Either trade adds a roster player in an important position. I'm not even sure that Pavelski is a significant downgrade from Nash on his own. Add in two other assets and I think the trade is a no-brainer. With the Toronto deal, I think Schenn has been unfairly criticized and ultimately will be a great shutdown defenseman. And consider that he'll possibly be on a third pairing with Moore, allowing Moore to play a little looser and allowing us to more evenly distribute the minutes for our defensemen. Plus a #5 pick that could return either one of the many quality defensemen in the draft or a skilled forward.
Nice analysis. I agree with most but still think the Rangers if they give a bit more (del Zotto or Staal) could still be viable. Although the more I watch them play the more I wonder how Nash fits into Tort's hard nose style of playing both ends. Maybe with a new team and a real chance for the Cup maybe he plays harder.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:58 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:

Awesome run down. I've had similar thoughts on a few of those teams. I also agree San Jose or Toronto will most likely be the trading partner. The San Jose deal is probably the best one (or the one with the least risk involved.) The number 5 overall is pretty tempting, but I'd take Pavelski over the 5th pretty easily.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Looks like they had Jacket luck both in terms of who they took and also who was available. Those years didn't have a lot of top guys drafted in the first round.

Although with true Jacket prescience/luck they did take the highly touted Daigle over a guy named Chris Pronger and in 1995 I think Iginla was drafted 8th.

Drafts now seem to produce more good players than during that stretch although one of the years (1993) produced a lot of pretty good players.

I'd still take my chances with Plekanec and the 3rd and maybe something else and figure the Jackets will pick top 3 next year. close to).
I think Iginla was 12th or 13th that year. Fun story about him...when he was traded to Calgary in the Nieuwendyk deal, the sticking point was whether it would be Iginla or Todd Harvey going to the Flames. No one seems to know who actually decided that Iginla would go; I've heard that it was Craig Button (then with Dallas) who refused to give up Harvey and insisted that Iginla go, and I've heard that it was Calgary who backed down on Harvey and agreed to take Iginla.

Funny story about Ottawa's first draft. Apparently they were going to take Roman Hamrlik 2nd overall, but were afraid that due to the cultural differences, that he wouldn't have any type of support network and would be on his own entirely. So they decided to import one by drafting and signing a bunch of Czechoslovakian players...they took Radek Hamr in the 4th round, Jaroslav Miklenda in the 7th, and Tomas Jelinek and his one eyebrow in the 11th. The only problem was that Hamrlik went 1st overall to Tampa, and Ottawa took Alexei Yashin.

For some reason, despite no longer having a need for the Czechoslovakian players, they stuck with that plan and drafted them anyway.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:02 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Nice analysis. I agree with most but still think the Rangers if they give a bit more (del Zotto or Staal) could still be viable. Although the more I watch them play the more I wonder how Nash fits into Tort's hard nose style of playing both ends. Maybe with a new team and a real chance for the Cup maybe he plays harder.
If I was the Rangers GM no way would I make a trade to bring in a major piece like Nash for next season. I'd keep as much of this team together as I could.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

I question how much the early exit and the vague threats from San Jose ownership may have changed this situation. The options for the Sharks are to completely blow it up and rebuild around a core of Couture, Pavelski, Vlasic, and whoever they get in return for their current core...or else do something right out of "The Devil and Daniel Webster" and keep trying to stave off the inevitable by thumbing their nose at what everyone knows will happen.

Quote:
Burke would buy himself another two years off the hot seat if he got a deal done. I've kept an eye on Stuart Percy, who was 25th overall just last year, but would the GM of Toronto be willing to trade someone who has the most Canadian-sounding name in history? (NOTE: This assumes that no one named Duncan Percy has ever played)

Quote:
I wouldn't go for Neuvirth anyway. If it comes down to a goalie, I target Vokoun's UFA rights and make up the difference elsewhere in the deal. Green's a terrific player. I also would be keeping a close eye on whether the various anti-shot blocking proposals end up being seriously considered or implemented. If it does go through, Green's value skyrockets.

What's more interesting is that Green could represent a wholesale shift in the overall philosophy of the team. The Hitchcock years had Commodore, Hejda, and Klesla...not exactly offensive stalwarts. Picking up Green to add to Wisniewski, Johnson, Nikitin, and a young Moore would immediately shift the team toward an up-tempo attacking style.

Quote:
I don't like much with Montreal's prospects outside of Beaulieu and Leblanc, and I highly doubt either gets moved.

Quote:
I think there are way too many pieces that would have to fit together to make a Boston deal work on either end. Their best prospects are Hamilton (who I doubt they move) and Khoklachev. Outside of that, they're pretty thin all over the place.

If I had to guess at a random team, I'm sticking with Winnipeg. Maybe it's my heart over my head, but if they were to offer up Enstrom (who looked out of place under Noel), Burmistrov (who Noel doesn't want in the NHL at all right now), and their first-rounder...well, if nothing else, all the exiled Atlanta fans would abandon Nashville and join us. And with the 2nd and 9th pick....I 'unno, Murray and Teravainen? Forsberg and Ceci? Galchenyuk and Pouliot?

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 05-19-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old
05-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:

Pavelski, Demers, 1st for Nash. Demers had an off year and could either be flipped or provide another top 4 presence with an offensive game but also willing to play in all three zones. Murray or Greiss would be OK too. I'd love to get Vlasic but I just don't see San Jose giving up both Pavs and Vlasic (I would obviously sweeten the pot)

Quote:
1st, Gardner, Kulemin would be my request for Nash and a prospect d-man (Goloubef?). I think Kulemin would be a nice fit. I don't see Burke doing it because he has bigger needs and would need to add a salary dump (OK with me.)

Quote:
I stand by Johansson, Orlov, Galiev and a pick. If Green were part of the deal instead, that would be OK with me and would necessitate a move like Tyutin to Philly for JVR ????

Quote:
I think this is a tough one because Montreal needs everything. I was thinking 3rd overall, Eller, Emelin. If this were to happen, I look to move the 2nd or 3rd overall for another asset and a drop down in the draft order. You can control your destiny of picks based on who you trade to. Does Toronto want to move up and would they offer a player like Frattin?

Quote:
Another tough one in my book. I'd really push for Krejci, Hamilton and their 1st and send back Nash and Savard. Swap Thomas and Mason while you're at it to help with additional cap adjustment.

Lastly, I think Ottawa has everything we could want and a lot of depth in their prospect base. They woudl be an excellent partner and Nash would excel with them. I think they're the best fit... Zibanejad, Silfverberg, 1st

Last edited by Xoggz22: 05-19-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old
05-19-2012, 04:50 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

Nice work.

Old
05-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Nice work.
Meh....None of those trades excite me.

Of those trades, I would choose Toronto though. But Gardiner has to be included. The fifth overall and a couple of bums doesn't work for a player the caliber of "El Nasharino"

Then we could take 2 forwards (Yakupov, Galchenyuk) and cross your fingers these guys are the real deal.

If they are as advertised and we somehow "luck" into a great goalie like half the other teams in the league (ex. mike smith) we might see quick progress.

Probably dreaming....

Old
05-19-2012, 06:06 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
Meh....None of those trades excite me.

Of those trades, I would choose Toronto though. But Gardiner has to be included. The fifth overall and a couple of bums doesn't work for a player the caliber of "El Nasharino"

Then we could take 2 forwards (Yakupov, Galchenyuk) and cross your fingers these guys are the real deal.

If they are as advertised and we somehow "luck" into a great goalie like half the other teams in the league (ex. mike smith) we might see quick progress.

Probably dreaming....
You're dreaming. Burke acquired him twice (draft and trade). That gives you an idea of how unlikely he is to be moved.

Luke Schenn is hardly a "bum". He's another guy like Jack Johnson who can blossom in the right situation. Heck, he's doing pretty good in Toronto and they aren't exactly world beaters.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

so say we pull the trigger on the toronto deal... #5, Schenn or Gardiner, +...if its Schenn, it gives us another top 4 defender...do we make a couple deals then???

#5 + something to ANA for bobby ryan

tyuts +? or schenn himself for JVR?

would be a nice little rebuild...or retool if you will

Old
05-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Frankly, if we add another significant defenseman, I'd still only trade Methot - if we trade anyone at all. We had a painful lesson on what happens when you don't have sufficient defensive depth last year, and while the number and insane timing of injuries is unlikely to repeat itself, we're still inevitably going to need SOME depth.

Also, I think Tyutin for JvR is a ripoff in Philly's favor. I think JvR actually is what everyone seems to assume Nash is (i.e. grossly overrated due to easily visible talents that ought to be awesome but haven't been for him), and I want no part of that. Add that to his recent injury history and I wanna stay far far away. Tyutin's no epic badass, but he can carry the second pairing as ably as anyone in the league - that and I think he's become the heir to Klesla's whipping-boy legacy, and we all know what they think of Klesla now in Phoenix.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Frankly, if we add another significant defenseman, I'd still only trade Methot - if we trade anyone at all. We had a painful lesson on what happens when you don't have sufficient defensive depth last year, and while the number and insane timing of injuries is unlikely to repeat itself, we're still inevitably going to need SOME depth.
Agree, Methot is the odd man out, and, no Stanley Cup contender can enough solid defenseman.. none.

Closed Thread