HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NBC in the DC/Baltimore area today

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Again, you might not realize, but the actual Preakness was a 2 hour show after 4 pm right? The time we are talking about was a 4 hour pregame show to the 2 hour show. I find it hard to believe people in Baltimore were glued to their tv for 4 hours prior to the 2 hours leading up to the 2 minute race.
Except more people probably did.

05-20-2012, 12:06 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Except more people probably did.
I severely doubt it. I watched about 15min of of it and it was so completely {MOD EDIT} it's hard to fathom anyone from the lowly walmart worker to the uppity country club variety would be able to stand it for too long.

Btw considering 70% of Baltimore is black and/or ghetto I even more severely doubt that area was all that tuned in. Hopefully some numbers are posted tomorrow.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 05-20-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old
05-20-2012, 12:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I severely doubt it. I watched about 15min of of it and it was so completely {MOD EDIT} it's hard to fathom anyone from the lowly walmart worker to the uppity country club variety would be able to stand it for too long.

Btw considering 70% of Baltimore is black and/or ghetto I even more severely doubt that area was all that tuned in. Hopefully some numbers are posted tomorrow.
Since the ghettos are the NHL's core target audience...

You know what a lot of people can't fathom anyone being able to stand? Hockey.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 05-20-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: edit QP
Old
05-20-2012, 12:49 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Baltimore City, maybe. The surrounding areas are white and affluent. The Preakness is a pretty big deal to them (judging by the number of Preakness parties I've had to work over the years.)

Old
05-20-2012, 12:58 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
You realize local NBC is still NBC right? There is no overarching SUPER NBC, every NBC that you ever turn on is a "local affiliate" depending where you live.
It's your local affiliate because it's owned by Hearst Television Inc. The affiliate has an agreement with NBC to show their programming, but the affiliate can show local programming over national programming if they choose.

Just like radio, your sports radio station might have the Jim Rome Show from 12-3, but if there's a Baltimore Orioles afternoon game a 1 p.m., the Jim Rome Show won't be airing because the O's take precedent because its local.

In this case while both the Preakness and the game were both national events; the Preakness took precedent because it's more local and most likely what was airing during the time of the game was reporters from the affiliate and not NBC's "Network" coverage that the rest of the nation saw at 4:30.

I understand your frustration and your affiliate if they own another station in the area should have put the game on that station.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Which part? Or are we pretending we're talking politics now and you're just saying random things for the hell of it when you have nothing else left to say?
You're in complete denial about what has been made clear by 5 or 6 other people. And tried to make this about being a Kings fan some how (hint: I'm actually a Flyers fan). You went off on a tangent - and were still wrong about that too. And then tried to say that people don't watch hockey in Baltimore. And then basically spelled out that you don't get it so that it's stupid (like an 8-year old would say).

You've been firmly put in your place in this argument by pretty much every other person who posted, and are basically refusing to accept the reality of the situation with your NBC affiliate. It's time to let the thread fall away into the depths of the internet ether.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:24 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
5 hours! 5 hours of hats and food and people talking about the weather! 5!

They could have shown the entire game and still had 2 hours to talk about hats and food and the weather

No it wasn't. NBC Sports had their regular programming on; motorcycle racing I believe
i live in the DC area, and I had the game on on NBC Channel 4, I THINK. Not positive, but I did have it

Old
05-20-2012, 01:51 AM
paulsonj72

Last year in the Minneapolis Market area we had a situation simillar to this in that a scheduled game was not shown but it was for a completley different reason. Mother Nature. An EF-1 or 2 tornado hit the city of Minneapolis directly and affected many people in the city so KARE 11(the NBC affilliate for the Minneapokis DMA) broke from the hockey game to have continous coverage the the storm and aftermath. To put the date when this happened was the same day(but earlier in the afternoon in Minneapolis) when Joplin MO was hit by the EF-5 tornado we heard so much about.. They did move the game to a digital subchannel but that is not avaliable to everyone so large parts of the Minneapolis DMS did not see the game. And for the record the Minneapolis market area is huge so KARE 11 is seen over a large chunk of the state. That is a problem for all of the MLPS/SP TV stations because whne they cover something that is life threating to a part of the DMA most of the rest of the area isn't getting what they are covering.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:58 AM
YesYesYall

Well, to be fair, I don't think there's a single person in this thread who would rather watch hockey over motorcycle racing.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:06 PM
MartysBackup
Who wants Wawa?

I had this problem yesterday too. While watching the online stream, I was getting bounced around the phones by the local NBC, national NBC, and Comcast (my cable provider who also happens to own NBC). None of them took any blame. Said it was someone else's fault.

Comcast said it's NBC's fault. They can only show what the networks send them, and they didn't send them the hockey game.

When I called the local affiliate, she immediately asked if I was calling about the hockey game. Apparently they were inundated with complaints. She said that it was an issue that would have to be taken up with the national NBC office since they'd have the say over whether the coverage would get bumped to CNBC, MSNBC, NBC Sports, USA, etc.

The woman at the national NBC office said that it was an issue to take up with NBC Sports, and no one was in the office on Saturday so there was no one I could talk to. She forwarded me to a complaint line where you leave your complaint in an voicemail message.

Emails to both the local NBC affiliate and national NBC Sports office have gone unreturned as of this moment.

I'm sorry, but it was completely unacceptable. CNBC was showing infomercials. The game could have very easily slotted there.

I'm used to being in NJ where Devils, Rangers, Islanders, and Knicks games are constantly competing for airtime on the MSG Network. On the rare nights that all teams are playing, they always have a contingency plan in place with the local cable companies where they'll basically invent an MSG+2 or something channel for a couple hours and show the game there.

The way a supposed national broadcast was handled by one of the biggest media conglomerates in the country was a travesty. The local Baltimore affiliate's website even showed that they were broadcasting the game in their listings section. Total oversight. Someone should be fired for this.

Old
05-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

We're done.

CLOSED.