HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Henrik Lundqvist vs Jonathan Quick - The battle continues in the playoffs

Old
05-20-2012, 04:06 AM
LordsCup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Give Henrik the Vezina. Quick will take the Cup and Conn Smythe.
Lundqvist will instead take all three.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:06 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensMCGF92 View Post
I think Lundqvist takes it pretty easily these playoffs. Quick has been good, but has played roughly 30% less games, and those 30% have been losses on the rangers side, cause they are not nearly as dominant as the Kings have been during their run. So counting 6 more losses, henrik is still just 00,8% from Quicks stats.

The rangers have struggled a lot during some of their games, and its safe to say that Lundqvist has been much more critical to their success than Quick has been to the kings since the kings dominate everybody right now.
I'm not quite sure I'm following your logic just because Quick has played in 30% less games. Yes the Kings have been rolling, but Quick overall does have the better stats. I mean we can sit here and pick everything apart, like Hank has had 5 extra games to get his extra shutout over quick etc, but at the end of the day I would take either goalie any day of the week.

I guess the way I see it, Quick has been more consistent, while Hank has the more occasional dominating performance.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:27 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Lundqvist will instead take all three.
Yeah, in Bizarro World.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Yeah, in Bizarro World.
It's not like anyone would be shocked if that happened, would they?

05-20-2012, 04:36 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Lundqvist has been the better goalie in the playoffs but that's because he's had to be.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:39 AM
chcl

At this point they seem about equal both in the season and the playoffs. It is more or less impossible to drill down and find out who is the best as they are playing for two different teams and I believe the team variable is the absolute largest difference between them.

chcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:11 AM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I have a question for Kings fans. Now that Quick is the goalie that has goal support and Lundqvist has the team struggling to score does that mean that Lundqvist is having the better postseason?
Too hard to say, really. Quick's only lost one game so far this postseason. That's pretty impressive too. Especially considering Quick has the better numbers all around, sans one shutout. Aside from GAA and SV%, they've basically switched roles since the regular season.

I'd say that the Rangers have needed Lundqvist to be great a lot more than the Kings have needed Quick to be great. But when they've needed him, Quick has stepped up in a huge way. Losing only one game in the playoffs (so far) is pretty damn impressive.

This goes back to the true meaning of the awards that are given out. Vezina? Going to have to be a tie for me. Hart? I would give it to Quick. No one carried their team like Quick did this season... no one. Conn Smythe? Either Lundqvist or Dustin Brown, to be honest, if either the Kings or the Rangers win the cup. Kovalchuk for the Devils, Smith () for the Coyotes. Just my $0.02.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:10 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
I have a question for Kings fans. Now that Quick is the goalie that has goal support and Lundqvist has the team struggling to score does that mean that Lundqvist is having the better postseason?
In my opinion it does. The stats are fairly close and Lundqvist compiled his while playing more games and with his team on his back, exactly like Quick did in the regular season.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Call me bias but Lundqvist is playing better, we've gone to 2 straight game 7's, all games were low scoring close games, so Hank had to be clutch, Hank is still carrying us. As a 8th place team, Quick has a huge edge on the supporting cast, team is frigging great, I'm not saying Quick doesn't have to be great because he has been and thats the reason there 11-1 in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, Hank has been better all year (despite a week in the last few games) and his career than Quick. Quick is young and WILL be a #1 goalie.

Hank will win the Veniza (praying to god he doesn't lose it) , but i'm sure Quick and LA fans would rather take the trophy, while there on the better path than us to the finals. (Not saying Hank can't get all 3 awards )

LA fans you guys got a gem!

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:50 AM
joe89

Have either Quick or Lundqvist had a bad game in the playoffs yet? I know Quick's only loss wasn't a bad game on his part. Lundqvist probably can't be blamed for any loss either. Just spectacular goaltending from both.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:50 AM
MyersMagic57*

Quick has been the superior goaltender in these playoffs in my opinion. He is playing very well against some very offensively gifted teams. Not saying that The Devils, Caps, and Sens aren't, I just think the west has the better offensive teams that Quick has had to face.

Also Quick hasn't had as much help from his defense blocking 10-20 shots per game

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:58 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Quick has been the superior goaltender in these playoffs in my opinion. He is playing very well against some very offensively gifted teams. Not saying that The Devils, Caps, and Sens aren't, I just think the west has the better offensive teams that Quick has had to face.

Also Quick hasn't had as much help from his defense blocking 10-20 shots per game
Not really true at all. Regular season goals for by opponent:
Vancouver 249 Sedins, Kesler
St Louis 210 Perron, Mcdonald, Berglund
Phoenix 216 Doan, Whitney, Vrbata

Ottawa 249 Spezza, Michalek, Karlsson
Washington 222 Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin
New Jersey 228 Parise, Kovalchuk, Elias

Eastern group has both better offensive players and more goals scored.

Shots blocked per game playoffs:
LA 14.1
Rangers 19.2

Well in the range of 10-20.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

i hope quick plays his heart out so that you guys can't afford his new contract >=]. i hear philly isn't happy with their goalie. maybe they'll grab him and we'll see who's the best goalie in the what's more than likely the hardest division in the league.

tbh i can't even compare both goalies. if i had to guess based on division i'd say lundqvist is better. lundqvist has also been more important in the post-season. the kings could be where they are with mike smith for instance. the rangers could not.

lundqvist def seemed to play better offensive teams than the kings. vancouver choked. missing one of the sedin sisters threw them off offensively. st louis certainly isn't better offensively than any of the teams in the east. they're a really strong defensive team and they got annihilated by the kings strong o. phoenix isn't that great offensively either.

it's going to be a tight series, but i can't put quick above lundqvist. he's a great goalie, but they're a great team. we haven't needed to see him shine.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:02 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Henrik has faced 150 more shots that Quick. It can also be argued that Henrik has played against more superior talent. But both players are wonderful players and are very likable and good for the game.
No it can't.

Quick played the Canucks (better than Ottawa by light years) and they played the Blues (beter than the Caps by light years)

The conference finals could be argued as I am not a big believer in the Coyotes, but on an overall basis, the Kings have faced tougher competiton

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:03 AM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Not really true atall. Regular season goals for by opponent:
Vancouver 249 Sedins, Kesler
St Louis 210 Perron, Mcdonald, Berglund
Phoenix 216 Doan, Whitney, Vrbata

Ottawa 249 Spezza, Michalek, Karlsson
Washington 222 Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin
New Jersey 228 Parise, Kovalchuk, Elias

Eastern group has both better offensive players and more goals scored.

Shots blocked per game playoffs:
LA 14
Rangers 19.2
Ah, well yes, and if we are going by stats:

Quick - 11-1 .951% 1.41 GAA 2 SO
Lundqvist - 10-7 .942% 1.57 GAA 3 SO

Those numbers are ridiculous, both goaltenders are playing out of this world. I remember all the hype Thomas got during last years playoffs, but this year I think these two goalies are making that performance seem pretty normal

Old
05-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Ah, well yes, and if we are going by stats:

Quick - 11-1 .951% 1.41 GAA 2 SO
Lundqvist - 10-7 .942% 1.57 GAA 3 SO

Those numbers are ridiculous, both goaltenders are playing out of this world. I remember all the hype Thomas got during last years playoffs, but this year I think these two goalies are making that performance seem pretty normal
hehe if you're going by stats you have to include the east's goal scoring average vs the west's--or the teams each played total games against's cumulative average .

but yeah these goalies are making names for themselves.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:51 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Henrik has faced 150 more shots that Quick. It can also be argued that Henrik has played against more superior talent. But both players are wonderful players and are very likable and good for the game.
lolwut?

Beating Washington and Ottawa > Vancouver and St. Louis?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
lolwut?

Offensively speaking, yes. Canucks and Senators is pretty much a toss up, but Caps are far superior to the Blues at scoring goals. Devils far better than the Yotes as well.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:01 AM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
lolwut?

I suppose that logic works if you are saying 7+8 > 1+2

Old
05-20-2012, 10:04 AM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
As ive stated on several occasions...I've wanted a LAK/NYR final for this very reason, it'll be a story inside of a story and should be very exciting

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:15 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Quite frankly....yes. Quick has been brilliant when he's needed to be, but Hank imo has played slightly better.

I still think it's a crying shame that Quick is not up for the Hart. Without him, Kings are not even being discussed as he's playing golf a month ago. I still think Quick had the better season and deserves the Vezina and Hart but nothing can be done about that.
Well that's at least fair. I personally thought that Quick deserves a Hart more than Hank and Hank deserves a Vezina more than Quick. I thought that Hank had a better season because he had pretty much identical numbers to Quick but had to face tougher competition (despite my thread about giving Quick the Vezina after a bad game). However I thought that Quick was more valuable.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Both are great. Both have great defensive teams in front of them.

I will say that Quick and the Kings have only lost once so far. Once. I am shocked by the level of play from them. They are making good teams look like they don't stand a chance. 1,2,3 seeds no less. Nothing is settled yet but man, if they can continue on this path, it is going to be tough for either east team if they meet in the finals.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Quite frankly....yes. Quick has been brilliant when he's needed to be, but Hank imo has played slightly better.
Yeah I think Lundqvist has had to do more and had more pressure on him to win games or keep his team in it. That doesn't take away from Quick's performance either, but one guy has had to do more and the other guy has his team playing fantastic hockey in front of him.

And, you can be a fantastic goalie with a great team in front of you, that doesn't mean Quick sucks, he's just getting more support and doesn't have to be the difference maker that Lundqvist has to be right now. This could also all change in the Finals, if they played against each other, et etc

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Well, Quick has still managed to GIVE UP less goals than Hank. The Kings have been TERRIBLE on the PP.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensMCGF92 View Post
I think Lundqvist takes it pretty easily these playoffs. Quick has been good, but has played roughly 30% less games, and those 30% have been losses on the rangers side, cause they are not nearly as dominant as the Kings have been during their run. So counting 6 more losses, henrik is still just 00,8% from Quicks stats.
Quick has won a game more, and has lost 6 games less. In the regular season many were arguing that "If Hank played that much, he'd be better"
....yet now people are saying "Hank has played more, and he's kept the team close in every game" which is partly true, but Quick has let in more than 2 goals only ONCE which was a loss.....even if the Kings are doing better offensively, they can still lose if Quick gives up 2 or more goals.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote