HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Going to the game Sunday? Don't drive

Old
05-19-2012, 02:09 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
Going to the game Sunday? Don't drive

Couple of friends went to the Clippers game today and it took over an hour to find parking. They had to park far away and pay ridiculous prices. They've never seen it that bad and today shouldn't even be that busy.

The Amgen tour is finishing tomorrow which is another 100,000 people.

Take the trains if you can and park and ride. There are a boatload of free park and ride lots attached to the train stops. Here's a map:

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/ma...s/rail_map.pdf

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:32 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

There's also an option to pre-pay for parking which you can use to avoid all the hassle of looking for a lot. The Kings sent out a link through ticketmaster to purchase them. Still, I would plan to get there early. Supposedly, all the traffic and closures will be cleared by the time the game is over.

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/pa...d1dd0b6b082358

KingsKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:59 PM
SCARFACE909

When me and my brother went to game 3 against Vancouver in 2010 we parked at Universal Studios (just below the hill where you enter the theme park) and took the amtrak to the game, pretty easy.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:02 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

We go four deep to the games with two coming from HB, me in LB and my other friend in Lakewood. Needless to say, I've been pretty pissed about this situation and have been dreading being in LA at 9 AM on a Sunday while having to take a tram from 37th/Exposition or wherever it is coming from. With the tram running for only an hour after the game, I can see it being a nightmare. If the Kings win, there is the trophy ceremony to wait for; if the tram does not take that into account for the hour after the game, you could have a lot of people charging the tram with limited time left for the tram to run.

Seeing that I'm in LB now, tomorrow will be the first time I've taken the train in my 10+ years of having seats. Seems like a great move in theory when looking at the schedules; I'm just hoping it goes as smoothly as possible. 15 minute bus ride to the metro station and then 56 minutes to Staples sounds much better than the scenario outlined in my first paragraph. I can leave my house at 9:45 as opposed to being in LA at 9:45. Seeing as I am the driver for every game, maybe this is a blessing in disguise after all.

For those who take or have taken the train from Long Beach, is there anything I should know prior?

BigKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I'll be there at around 9AM...should be able to find parking at that time.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

BigKing.. They only thing I forgot to mention is the riders on the blue line or often an interesting bunch. That train rolls through the worst neighborhoods in LA. Expect to see a few crack heads and thugs.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:30 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

In a ESPN article Staples Center staff encouraged Kings fans to park north of Staples, while cycling fans park south.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/olymp...s-doubleheader

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:13 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Catching a ride with Kobe on his private helicopter from OC. Landing on the roof and in my seat with 5 mins. This is just how in roll in the playoffs.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:43 PM
igotnothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
BigKing.. They only thing I forgot to mention is the riders on the blue line or often an interesting bunch. That train rolls through the worst neighborhoods in LA. Expect to see a few crack heads and thugs.
I live in the south bay and used to regularly take the green line and the blue line to kings games. Coming back one night, a kid (13-14 yo) started smoking a cigar in the middle of the train. A kings fan told him to stop smoking. His mother got up and started yelling at this guy. That was the last time I took the train for years...

...until my gf and I took the blue line about 6 weeks ago to Thai town to watch some Muay Thai fights. A drug deal went down on the train.

I'm taking my mother to the game tomorrow. I don't want to expose her to this.

igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
We go four deep to the games with two coming from HB, me in LB and my other friend in Lakewood. Needless to say, I've been pretty pissed about this situation and have been dreading being in LA at 9 AM on a Sunday while having to take a tram from 37th/Exposition or wherever it is coming from. With the tram running for only an hour after the game, I can see it being a nightmare. If the Kings win, there is the trophy ceremony to wait for; if the tram does not take that into account for the hour after the game, you could have a lot of people charging the tram with limited time left for the tram to run.

Seeing that I'm in LB now, tomorrow will be the first time I've taken the train in my 10+ years of having seats. Seems like a great move in theory when looking at the schedules; I'm just hoping it goes as smoothly as possible. 15 minute bus ride to the metro station and then 56 minutes to Staples sounds much better than the scenario outlined in my first paragraph. I can leave my house at 9:45 as opposed to being in LA at 9:45. Seeing as I am the driver for every game, maybe this is a blessing in disguise after all.

For those who take or have taken the train from Long Beach, is there anything I should know prior?
Don't look anyone in the eyes.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotnothing View Post
I live in the south bay and used to regularly take the green line and the blue line to kings games. Coming back one night, a kid (13-14 yo) started smoking a cigar in the middle of the train. A kings fan told him to stop smoking. His mother got up and started yelling at this guy. That was the last time I took the train for years...

...until my gf and I took the blue line about 6 weeks ago to Thai town to watch some Muay Thai fights. A drug deal went down on the train.

I'm taking my mother to the game tomorrow. I don't want to expose her to this.
I'm sure the daytime crowd is much different than the nighttime crowd. You and your mom should be fine.

If you have the easy option to take the BLue Line, why would you even consider driving? especially today?

Have you seen the guy take out his glass eye? Or the 5-yr old kids sellling candy - maybe that's just after 10:30 PM.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Muzzfan

Going to Drive after I have breakfast...

Most of you have left already, but there is no traffic on the freeways. I think the hardest thing will be finding parking if you drive.

I'm taking my chances because I don't want to sit there anticipating the game that long.

Go Kings! Let's Finish it off and see the Campbell Conference Trophy.

Muzzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:46 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzfan View Post
Most of you have left already, but there is no traffic on the freeways. I think the hardest thing will be finding parking if you drive.

I'm taking my chances because I don't want to sit there anticipating the game that long.

Go Kings! Let's Finish it off and see the Campbell Conference Trophy.
Right.. it isn't getting there. It's finding a spot for your car under $30 that's a mile away or less that will be problematic.... particularly with all of the street closures.

I *always* drive. Not today. There's a parking spot at the North Hollywood metro station with my name on it.

Hopefully those that drive won't have too hard a time with it.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Advisory: I just arrived at my usual parking spot here 9:05 am. There is plenty of parking available at this time (Francisco and 8th) but the street leading to it is jammed. Approach from the north and east, then go west on Wilshire, south on flower, east on 8th (no choice anyway, flower closed past 8th), then stay left and make left on 8th.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Advisory: I just arrived at my usual parking spot here 9:05 am. There is plenty of parking available at this time (Francisco and 8th) but the street leading to it is jammed. Approach from the north and east, then go west on Wilshire, south on flower, east on 8th (no choice anyway, flower closed past 8th), then stay left and make left on 8th.
Oh, forgot to say its a $10 lot today.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

It's filling up fast I give it another 30 mins to an hour at best.