HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Henrik Lundqvist vs Jonathan Quick - The battle continues in the playoffs

Old
05-20-2012, 11:12 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

vCash: 500
J Quick for life.
H Lundqvist destined to be always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Which will make him GOAT in the eyes of the Rangers faithful

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:21 AM
stranger34

it's all about the glitter

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:56 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

I would definitely choose Quick.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:08 PM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post

I know voting for the Vezina has already been completed but I think a potential showdown between these two in the Stanley Cup Final will ultimately decide who is the better goalie.
Is this a joke? The Cup determines the best team, not the best goalie, case and point: Niemi. The Kings are already heavy favorites to win despite very close stats between goaltenders. They have offensive firepower that the Rangers can't really match. Goaltenders have their own award where people decide who's the best, the winner of the cup isn't a determining factor as to who the best goalie is. If one team had lost in an earlier round they'd still be the two best at little fault of their own. I think any difference between them is negligible.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Levitate

Well what we'd really need to do is have someone examine each one of their games and develop some sort of ranking system for quality of shots and all of that and then compare them.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:27 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Lundqvist has been the better goalie in the playoffs but that's because he's had to be.
Well said...Quick has been stellar but Lundqvist has had to steal more games .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Ah, well yes, and if we are going by stats:

Quick - 11-1 .951% 1.41 GAA 2 SO
Lundqvist - 10-7 .942% 1.57 GAA 3 SO

Those numbers are ridiculous, both goaltenders are playing out of this world. I remember all the hype Thomas got during last years playoffs, but this year I think these two goalies are making that performance seem pretty normal
Lundqvist has faced 480 shots....Quick 344.

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

It's really not far-fetched that either of them could win Vezina, Smythe, and the Cup. The Kings are 1 game away from the final, the Rangers are 2 away. Both are there in large part due to their goaltender, although cases could be made for Brown and B. Richards. And both are nominated for the Vezina. All 3 are within reach for both goalies.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:32 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
Don't get me wrong, Hank has been better all year (despite a week in the last few games) and his career than Quick. Quick is young and WILL be a #1 goalie.
Based on what? Regular season:

GAA: Quick leads Lundqvist by .01%

SV%: Lundqvist leads by .001%

GP: Quick played 7 more games.

W: Lundqvist won 4 more games.

If people are basing this on wins, keep in mind that Quick lost eight games where he let in only one goal, whereas Lundqvist only lost two, which is just one example of the scoring disparity between the two teams.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post

If people are basing this on wins, keep in mind that Quick lost eight games where he let in only one goal, whereas Lundqvist only lost two, which is just one example of the scoring disparity between the two teams.
Well based on that criteria I'd say Lundqvist has been better in the playoffs then

They're both great goalies, you can't really go wrong whatever happens. If they could co-share the Vezina I wouldn't complain too much.

One question though, does Quick always play on his knees when teh puck is in his zone? I noticed tha tin some of the games I've seen and it's like, whoa, he leaves a ton of space open up high, but the Kings have been great at preventing high shots against him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Who cares?

They're both having stellar seasons. Lundqvist has been consistently at this level since he came into the league. Quick is younger and is just hitting his prime. The Kings wouldn't trade Quick for Lundqvist and the Rangers wouldn't trade Lundqvist for Quick. They're without a doubt the two best goalies in both this years regular season and the playoffs. One will win the Vezina. One will likely win the cup. Lundqvist has an outside chance of winning the Hart, and whichever one wins the cup has a very high chance at the Smythe. That tells all you need to know. Both are outstanding and have been clutch, focused, and consistent. They're both a joy to watch and neither of their teams would be where they are without them.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Who cares?

They're both having stellar seasons. Lundqvist has been consistently at this level since he came into the league. Quick is younger and is just hitting his prime. The Kings wouldn't trade Quick for Lundqvist and the Rangers wouldn't trade Lundqvist for Quick. They're without a doubt the two best goalies in both this years regular season and the playoffs. One will win the Vezina. One will likely win the cup. Lundqvist has an outside chance of winning the Hart, and whichever one wins the cup has a very high chance at the Smythe. That tells all you need to know. Both are outstanding and have been clutch, focused, and consistent. They're both a joy to watch and neither of their teams would be where they are without them.
One of the most level headed posts I've ever seen on this forum, I agree with this. It's way too close to compare honestly.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I love that some rangers fans are using the same stats to pump up lundqvist during the playoffs that they used to belittle quick for the Vezina.

Both are great goalies and neither team would be where they are without them. Does it really matter which one is "better"? The Stanley Cup is all that matters to both of them.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:51 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Who cares?

Of course. But we're sports fans. We get off on watching excellent, close candidates and declaring winners.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Both are great goalies. It's a coin toss between the two.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:10 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well based on that criteria I'd say Lundqvist has been better in the playoffs then
Except that as of now at least, Quick is ahead of Lundqvist in both SV% and GAA in the playoffs, whereas in the regular season they were neck and neck, making the wins disparity less of a factor. My point was judging wins between the two players for the Vezina in the regular season is misleading.

That being said, I don't think there's any question that Lundqvist has had it tougher this playoffs, largely because I think the Kings as a team have played better in stifling offensive chances.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:54 PM
RapidFire

Lundqvist > Quick

Quick is shaky when his defense isn't in position. Lundqvist on the other hand is always sharp regardless.

RapidFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
Quick has obviously been putting up better numbers, but the Rangers definitely rely on Lundqvist more than the Kings rely on Quick. Quick has been having way more wiggle room to make mistakes, while Lundqvist has to be perfect for almost the entire game.

05-20-2012, 03:48 PM
In The Flesh

When Quick is the Kings MVP back to back to back to back to back to back seasons, then maybe we can put him in the same room as Lundqvist.

Quick has been great this season sure, but Steve Mason was great for one season too.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Embryo*

Lundqvist has a much smaller margin for error since the Rangers have a lot of trouble scoring goals sometimes.

Embryo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:24 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Lundqvist might win the Conn Smythe without winning the Cup.

The Rangers have been that bad this postseason.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:27 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
When Quick is the Kings MVP back to back to back to back to back to back seasons, then maybe we can put him in the same room as Lundqvist.

Quick has been great this season sure, but Steve Mason was great for one season too.
What a terrible comparison....Quick has been good his entire career and continues to improve

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:35 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Lundqvist might win the Conn Smythe without winning the Cup.

The Rangers have been that bad this postseason.
Not a damned chance in hell. LOL

Old
05-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embryo View Post
Lundqvist has a much smaller margin for error since the Rangers have a lot of trouble scoring goals sometimes.
Sorry--Kings fans were told over and over that was an invalid argument. Try again.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:43 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quick has only played in one 1-goal game since the Vancouver series, and that was the other night.

Lundqvist has played in seven.

Lundqvist has faced three of the top-15 offenses in the NHL. Quick has faced two of the bottom-14.

Quicks shots against numbers are lower because he's played in less games.

Quick faces 28.1 shots per game this postseason
Lundqvist faces 28.2 shots per game this postseason

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Not a damned chance in hell. LOL
Explain.