HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which trade hurts more...

Old
05-20-2012, 09:11 AM
onice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Trade that we were fleeced, in no way am I including picks that ended up being good or great players for them. So if I don't that for our team, I won't do it for the others. Gorges will always be a valuable player for us. But not spectacular the way our players we've send away were. Now Lafleur is one. Kovalev? Again we are talking about 4 years when people were tired of him after year 2 and we're ecstatic to see him leave. Courtnall? Yes, that's the closest of trades with player for player we know about. Not picks.
The Dryden trade. He was a prospect goalie in the Bruins system. We got him for a song and dance. Sam Pollock made sure to shave his legs so when he did the can-can, the Bruins' management were admiring his shapely thighs instead of seeing he was robbing them blind.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:17 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

McDonagh trade. Why? Because it hurts the team in a big way right now.

When I was younger, I didn't like the Roy trade. But I was really too young to pay much attention. I didnt know the reasoning to know. I loved hockey, but at 8 or 9 years old - I just didn't know.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:19 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
McDonagh trade. Why? Because it hurts the team in a big way right now.

When I was younger, I didn't like the Roy trade. But I was really too young to pay much attention. I didnt know the reasoning to know. I loved hockey, but at 8 or 9 years old - I just didn't know.
Roy is in top 5 goalies of all time. You usually can't win a trade when you send away a generational talent.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:32 AM
BobbyFischer*

I think Brad McDonna would have looked great in a habs jersey... stupid Gainey!

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:42 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Roy is in top 5 goalies of all time. You usually can't win a trade when you send away a generational talent.
Yeah, but at that age who knew how good the prospects were. I didn't follow them like I do now. If we traded away McDonagh 10 years ago, I would have never known.

I'm not saying I liked the trade, I'm just saying that at the point in my life (under 10), I watched hockey because I loved the Habs. I didn't really care about behind the scenes stuff like I do now.

The Roy trade hurt the organization more. But the McDonagh trade hurt me more personally.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
The Roy trade hurt the organization more. But the McDonagh trade hurt me more personally.
Yeah.. good point.

And the McDonna trade WILL continue to hurt, very very badly.

He is already their best d-man and he's barely able to grow facial hair.

This one will hurt, and the pain will ooze blood, for a long, long, loooong time.

Stupid Gainey/Gauthier!

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

If McD keeps progressing, you could make an argument that this is the worst trade. At least the habs got serviceable players in the other deals. Mark Recchi was a perennial 1st line player for the club and Rucinsky developed into a decent top 6 player. This trade gave the habs nothing except an albatross salary. Gomez was kind of serviceable in the first season, but the habs have absolutely nothing to show for this deal.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:13 PM
bipolarhabfan

Looking at the trades based on talent, the Roy/Keane trade was by far the worst.

My ranking of bad trades, minus the Roy trade, in the last 25 years is as follows:

1. Chelios for Savard. A stud defenseman for an aging superstar.
2. LeClair and Desjardins for Recchi. LeClair dominated the NHL in the 1990s. Add to that a solid defenseman in Desjardins...well you get the picture.
3. McDonugh and Higgins for Gomez and Pyatt. A repeat of the Chelios trade years earlier. I am not saying that McDonugh will be a Chelios but he will certainly be a serviceable #2 dman. I can see him posting 40 point seasons for years to come.
4. Turgeon and Conroy for Corson and Baron. Posted 96 points the year before he was traded. Conroy proved to be a reliable second liner as well for the Blues and Flames.
5. Ribeiro for Niinimaa. Hope I placed the right number of vowels in the name. Speaking of names, that is the only thing interesting about Jannii.
6. Jyrki Lumme for a 2nd round pick (Craig Darby). Lumme was a .5 points per game dman in the 90s.
7. Damphousse for a 5th round pick that turned into a 1st in 2000 (Marcel Hossa) and a 2nd in 2001 that was traded away. Damphousse had 289 point in 385 games with the sharks.
8. Claude Lemiuex for Sylvain Turgeon. Lemieux would be the super pest of the 90s while Turgeon skated into obscurity a few years later.
9. Stephane Richer, Darcy Tucker, and David Wilkie for Patrick Poulin, Mick Vukota, and Igor Ulanov. Tucker was one of the best in his role as a pest/scorer during his prime.
10. Spacek for Kaberle. Nothing more needs to be said about this one.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:56 PM
la25ecoupe

Without Gomez there wouldn't be a 3rd round pick..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:53 PM
wedge

The Roy trade set us back 10 years.
It couldn't be worse than that

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:57 PM
habsfanatics

The Roy trade hurt worse, but management wasn't forced into doing the Gomez for McDonagh trade.

Houle should have gotten more for Roy, but everyone had known that Roy demanded a trade, so it's somewhat substantiated. Letting Koivu walk and signing Gomez was sideways at best and very costly.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
McDonagh was the best prospect in the habs system (yes better than Subban) and he was traded in order to ACQUIRE Gomez. That is by far the worst trade... the Roy situation is completely different. He demanded a trade... getting less value for him is expected (although not that low.
Carey Price was (easily) the top prospect in the Canadiens system at the time of the trade. Did you think you could just make that up and nobody would notice?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:25 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Carey Price was (easily) the top prospect in the Canadiens system at the time of the trade. Did you think you could just make that up and nobody would notice?
Carey Price was a NHL goaltender by then, I don't think he was still considered a prospect by most people.

It was Subban/McDonagh 1a, 1b, depending on which style of play you preferred. The idea that McDonagh slipped as a prospect was manufactured after the trade by many in order to justify the terrible trade.

It was never true.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:31 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Carey Price was a NHL goaltender by then, I don't think he was still considered a prospect by most people.
He was twenty when the trade happened. He may have "graduated" to the NHL but he was still the top prospect in the system.

I still think Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a prospect.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:08 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Yeah, but at that age who knew how good the prospects were. I didn't follow them like I do now. If we traded away McDonagh 10 years ago, I would have never known.

I'm not saying I liked the trade, I'm just saying that at the point in my life (under 10), I watched hockey because I loved the Habs. I didn't really care about behind the scenes stuff like I do now.

I am as knowledgeable as they come compared to 99% of habs fans, and McDo wasn't a stud back then. There were rumors he wasn't willing to sign with us and he wasn't setting the world on fire.

When the trade happened, people were upset because we were acquiring Gomez, not because we were trading Higgins and McDo away. Those who were upset about Higgins/McDo were only upset because they felt it was unneccessary to give away that much for someone with negative value, and not specifically because it was McDo and Higgins (I was amongst that group).

People are hating on the trade right now because of how it all turned out, but in all honesty people weren't THAT upset back then. They should have been. They shouldn't be more pissed off now than back then.

Whatever, this board has been total crap for the past couple years.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
He was twenty when the trade happened. He may have "graduated" to the NHL but he was still the top prospect in the system.

I still think Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a prospect.
for me if a guy reached the nhl he's not a prospect anymore

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
With or without Roy, things were going bad. Montreal was not keeping up with the escalating salaries, and went from a top 5 payroll team to middle of the pack. It was not an easy time to be a habs fan. Roy said he was frustrated about that particular game against Detroit, but I think he was also frustrated with the direction of management.

The demand to leave montreal ended up being a great move for him and he added to his legend in colorado. Staying in Montreal would not have given him anywhere near the same success.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:41 PM
feds91

Well at least Calgary had it worst, trading Hull, Gilmour, Phaneuf and Giguere for practically nothing. And then there is also Mike Milbury of course

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:43 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
I'm watching today's Rangers/Devils game and Ryan McDonagh is quickly turning into a stud defenceman. He's a future all star for sure! So out of all the players the Habs traded away in the past 20 years, which one stings the most?

John Leclair and Eric Desjardins for Mark Recchi?
Patrick Roy and Mike Keane for Thibeault, Kovalenko and Rucinski?
Mike Ribeiro for Ninnimaa (sp?)?
Ryan McDonagh and Chris Higgins for Scott Gomez?
To me, the Chris Chelios trade was the big disaster. They almost traded the Rocket to New York, as we all know. We'd probably have 4 Cups now if they did that.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:45 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I am as knowledgeable as they come compared to 99% of habs fans, and McDo wasn't a stud back then. There were rumors he wasn't willing to sign with us and he wasn't setting the world on fire.

When the trade happened, people were upset because we were acquiring Gomez, not because we were trading Higgins and McDo away. Those who were upset about Higgins/McDo were only upset because they felt it was unneccessary to give away that much for someone with negative value, and not specifically because it was McDo and Higgins (I was amongst that group).

People are hating on the trade right now because of how it all turned out, but in all honesty people weren't THAT upset back then. They should have been. They shouldn't be more pissed off now than back then.

Whatever, this board has been total crap for the past couple years.
The video I saw of McD and PK at rookie camp had me salivating. Those guys skate as well as figure skaters. I cannot fathom how the decision to make that trade was made, cuz I lived in NY back then and Rangers fans hated Gomez. I remember laughing out loud when Sather dumped all that money on him and Drury. I thought the Rangers would go down the drain after that.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
The Dryden trade. He was a prospect goalie in the Bruins system. We got him for a song and dance. Sam Pollock made sure to shave his legs so when he did the can-can, the Bruins' management were admiring his shapely thighs instead of seeing he was robbing them blind.
Sorry but Dryden was traded the same day he was drafted. Again, it's not about drafting a player you had seen play under your organization.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:45 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

obviously the Roy trade is the worst ever, but the circumstances are different. Roy did not want to be in Montreal anymore, he asked to leave.

McD is a player Montreal desperately needs right now!

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
The Roy trade was a huge mistake...still can't believe that happened (I blame Houle and Tremblay...Mario Tremblay should never have been hired...same with Houle). But, I believe Price will repair that damage sooner than later (we just have to surround Price with a solid top 6 dmen...Subban, Dumba, Gorges, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis).

And about McDonagh...we can easily repair that with Dumba.(or Murray?...but I'm already a huge Dumba fan).

Dumba, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis...will help us forget about McDonagh. Mistakes happen (this was a huge one), but we can move on...our D-Corps is looking better and better...

Gotta stay positive...Gorges+1st Rnd Pick (Pacioretty) FOR Rivet was a dandy.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-21-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
obviously the Roy trade is the worst ever, but the circumstances are different. Roy did not want to be in Montreal anymore, he asked to leave.

McD is a player Montreal desperately needs right now!
True, but why throw in our captain at the time in that trade? The fact that they traded Keaner as some kind of a throw in still hard to swallow.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Miller Time

Emotionally, it's hard to beat the Roy trade...

But the reality is that we did get 2 players back who were good for us.

Chelios and Ribs trades we got less than 1 season of a retirement bound player in return, Mcdo/Higgins trade we got one decent season followed by 2 sub-mediocre cap nightmare seasons.

Factor in the context of why the trades happened, and I'd call the Mcdo trade public enemy #1.

- no need for the trade
- terrible return (depreciating AND brutal cap hit)
- giving up an asset that is just getting better and better

Pure folly.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote