HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #16

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Man I never really paid much attention to the LA kings fans in the stands but are they always so apathetic? It just seemed weird last night how uninspired the fans sounded. Maybe it was the broadcast but it reminded me of Sunday service and people sitting in their pews like empty vessels. Apart from when they score and some other random moments they seem pretty lame considering how good the team is. That western laid back thing is def not my style or Philly's for that matter. Maybe if they win the cup they'll actually do the wave...
I think NBC tones down the crowd sound, because they were loud throughout most of the game on the CBC feed. The sound in the last two minutes was amazing.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

If they are toning down the broadcasts that is just dumb. Need to market the game and the excitement. Of course when commercials come on the decibel level makes my ears bleed...

Old
05-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Chris43

Since you guys are talking about it, I'll help out with an example.

Here is the Canadian feed for the last 2 minutes of game 4 vs the blues

and here is the NBC Feed.

As you can tell NBC really needs to fix their broadcast // sound mixing of the games, I'd much rather listen to the TSN feed than that NBC feed.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Prongo
Beer

Well the off season has seemed to finally begin. First meaningful resigning(I don't think there was any others?) Milan Hejduk signed for 1 year 2 million

Edit: I knew there was someone else. Saku Koivu. Nonetheless we have some activity lol

Old
05-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I'm not quite sure what your point is.
of course you aren't ... again .... maybe the 3rd time will be a charm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
it's pretty clear what i meant: seeing how NYR played shut down team D, and limited the shots against, that appears to be the way to defeat NJ. it's so 'amazing' because only a week ago, many here, along with the Flyers themselves seemed to 'have no answer' as to how to beat NJ .... it just takes harder work & shut down Team D / limited shots against.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

So yeah. "All" you have to do is outplay them. It's so simple!

"Working harder" isn't always the answer, especially when there are so many rookies who have a long way to go defensively. Right now there are too many people who are more likely to work harder at the wrong thing. They'll get better with experience.

05-18-2012, 04:14 PM
NYR89

Hey guys, any recommendations of a good bar that will have the Rangers/Devils game on tomorrow afternoon? I just moved to the city as an intern and don't have cable or know very many people...

Old
05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
So yeah. "All" you have to do is outplay them. It's so simple!
again, you re-phrase, then argue against yourself.

vs NJ [as oppossed to playing against Pitt for example] you need to play shut down team D, and limit the shots against, that appears to be the way to defeat NJ. Something the Flyers did not in the last 4 games vs NJ.

the Flyers themselves said they 'have no answer' as to how to beat NJ.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:

vs NJ [as oppossed to playing against Pitt for example] you need to play shut down team D, and limit the shots against, that appears to be the way to defeat NJ. Something the Flyers did not in the last 4 games vs NJ.

the Flyers themselves said they 'have no answer' as to how to beat NJ.

I'm sure they were trying to shut them down. I highly doubt their strategy was "allow lots of shots."

And, I'm not arguing against myself. Your statements are just incredibly vague. "limit shots, limit chances" is the whole point of defense. You're basically saying "to win the Flyers should play D." I mean, you are correct. Defense is pretty awesome. It's just not exactly a great solution, since "playing D harder" doesn't really fix much. A better solution would be deciding why our D wasn't able to answer NJ, or why our offense couldn't complete any passes/maintain pressure.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-18-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old
05-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

And, I'm not arguing against myself.
yea, you really are, because you re-phrase everything i say, give it a slightly meaning, then debate THAT, instead of what i really said.

it is quite entertaining, now that i caught on ...it's now fun, not frustrating.

Quote:

Your statements are just incredibly vague.
'you need to play shut down team D, and limit the shots against' is not vague at all .... in fact, it's pretty precise. play a more defense - oriented game

whatever they did in the 40 blocked shot effort, & game 1 vs NJ .. maybe just play a more 'defensive style'

you seem to be the only one here can't comprehend that they need better Team D to win playoff games.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
yea, you really are, because you re-phrase everything i say, give it a slightly meaning, then debate THAT, instead of what i really said.

it is quite entertaining, now that i caught on ...it's now fun, not frustrating.

'you need to play shut down team D, and limit the shots against is not vague at all' .... in fact, it's pretty precise. play a more defense - oriented game

whatever they did in the 40 blocked shot effort, & game 1 vs NJ .. maybe just play a more 'defensive style'

you seem to be the only one here can't comprehend that they need better Team D to win playoff games.
There's more to it than "Just block shots." Look at our team, and compare it to other teams who play that way. We are built very differently. That style doesn't really suit us, much like the defensive style forced on the Caps didn't really suit them or maximize the potential they could get out of that roster.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Florida didn't play a single game of 'shut down defense' against New Jersey and almost beat them. New York is playing only shut down defense against New Jersey and is now behind the eight ball with a loss at home.

Obvioulsy having forwards and defensemen committing to defense increases the chances of success in the playoffs.

There's no secret strategy that will defeat the Devils; if there was, the Flyers would have played the Panthers in round 2.

05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

The best you can do is play to your team's strengths. A defensive shell fits New York. It doesn't fit the Flyers, not with this roster. There are too many major pieces, some with big cap hits, who are ill-suited for it.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Florida didn't play a single game of 'shut down defense' against New Jersey
correct: FLA lost: NJ had 38,27,42,36 = 35.75 shots on goal a game for 4 wins. In the 3 FLA wins, they still gave up too many shots: 25, 25, 30 = 27/game. [Marty's awful game handed 1 win to FLA]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
New York is playing only shut down defense against New Jersey and is now behind the eight ball with a loss at home.
not in game 2 they didn't, hence the loss.
game 1: shut them down = win
game 2: didn't shut them down, NJ looked like they were on a PP 5 on 5 [looked alot like Flyers games 2, 3, 4, 5] = a loss

Old
05-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Ryker

Quote:
not in game 2 they didn't, hence the loss.
Yeah, they just switch their tactics from game to game on a random basis, don't they?

Old
05-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

In what world is 25 shots too many?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:20 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:

That's the way to beat any team. Every other team in the league would have to play shutdown D against the Pens, we're lucky enough to be the only team that can out gun them...and even still it was too close for comfort at times.

The best way to win is with defense...in any sport. Correctly mixed with skill gives you the best chance (like LA, they look unstoppable right now). It doesn't hurt to have incredible goaltending, and all will be right in the hockey world if Jon Quick and Hank Lundqvist face off for a Cup. Obvious post is obvious, just like this argument between you two.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Ryker

Hey Bernie, I was just wondering whether you could provide some analysis in regards to today's game, especially in relation to the number of shots the Devils had against the Rangers.

Old
05-19-2012, 06:21 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Hey Bernie, I was just wondering whether you could provide some analysis in regards to today's game, especially in relation to the number of shots the Devils had against the Rangers.
No doubt he'll say Bryz could have done better!

Old
05-20-2012, 01:22 PM
CptCannon

Not that I'd give a dead rat's ass about the WHC's but it's fun listening/reading all the analysts being in total awe how great Malkin is and nothing could stop him.

They prolly haven't heard of this one 18y-old Sean, one of the biggest reasons why Malkin is playing in the WHC's anyway.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:32 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Apparently, if a team limits shots against, they stand a better chance to win a game. Fascinating stuff really.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Doan seems to be in the box nonstop

Old
05-20-2012, 05:12 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Doan seems to be in the box nonstop
Sounds like he'd be a perfect fit. UFA. Wants a Cup. Make it happen Homer.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Not that I'd give a dead rat's ass about the WHC's but it's fun listening/reading all the analysts being in total awe how great Malkin is and nothing could stop him.

They prolly haven't heard of this one 18y-old Sean, one of the biggest reasons why Malkin is playing in the WHC's anyway.
I didn't have the time or interest to watch many of the games either, but Malkin is the first player since Gretzky to win both the scoring race in the NHL and the one in the World Championships. That's pretty impressive, even if it means that you're out of the NHL playoffs at an early stage. But yeah, he was probably pretty happy that he didn't have to face that dentally challenged scrawny teenager that had been following him around.

In other news from that tournament, Patrik Thoresen is nearly as good as Malkin. He finished second in the scoring race with 7 goals and 11 assists in just 8 games (Malkin won it with 11 goals and 8 assists in 10 games). The Latvian team had a rough tournament, but from what I can understand most of the Latvian fans were pleased with the way Bartulis played for them. If he can remain healthy I wouldn't be completely surprised if he forced his way back into competition for a spot on d for us next season, even if it's a bit of a long shot right now.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Ryker

I know it's not NHL, but is anyone here watching the Memorial Cup?

Closed Thread