HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mystery of the horrible smelling gloves

Old
05-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

vCash: 500
Mystery of the horrible smelling gloves

I'm sure everyone has had experience with gear that smells bad; you air out your gear and throw some things in the wash and dryer immediately after getting home. Some pieces like pants, shoulder pads, shin guards and elbow pads are done maybe once every couple months. No prob so far.

It's the gloves. I don't know if it's because there is leather in them or what but they are truly offensive smelling. I was actually considering buying new even though these weren't cheap and are only a year old. These go in the wash too but I air dry them. I don't know if it's mold from water soaked into them that's not drying but they even make my hands smell. Maybe it's the fingers that are curled that can't get air deep into them to circulate and dry. I thought maybe the dryer might help with extremely hot air drying them through but I don't want to destroy them. One of my teammates throws all his stuff in the swimming pool in the summer after every use and let's the sun dry it but alas, I have no pool. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Danglous

My gloves make my hands smell terrible, even after a shower/hand washing. Im about to just buy some new ones.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:16 AM
AIREAYE

It seems that leather and synthetic leather palms retain odor and bacterial growth more than microfiber palms. Someone with more experience should chime in but with what I've had, this is what I've noticed.

You could try cleaning/treating your palms with lanolin (shaving cream) to make them softer, or take them to a Sani Sport cleaner. I had these really horrible synth leather Pittards on my S17s with really bad odor and had them repalmed with Nash, which eliminated that problem. However, I don't know if they were treated prior to repalming.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:20 AM
r3cc0s

I've repalmed with Kangaroo leather, and it is better, but still the same deal

I rotate between 3 pairs of gloves, and immediately dry them out over the register and they really don't smell

if they start to, I use a oder spray mixed with alcohol, and I was last told that cheap aftershave does a great job (like the dollar store green kind)

otherwise, I "WILL" pour boiling hot water through the palms, just one rince, and that pretty much will kill all bacteria

or bring them with your gear to a sani-clean

better palms don't do anything, except for those NXT treated palms from Winwell... but the way they embossed NXT all over them, have made good palms (heck good gloves) into bad ones

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Thepandamancan

Maybe you should try wearing wristbands. I've noticed that my gloves are less sweaty and thus never smell.

I don't wear wristbands when I play as a goalie and my glove and blocker smell terrible.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My guess:

Sweat runs from your upper body down the arms and into the hands, where it collects in the gloves. Most gloves have a fair amount of foam or padding inside, which traps the moisture. Moisture + warmth = bacteria growth, which causes the smell.

I have a pair of Warriors with some nylon liner instead of cotton or whatever most gloves use, and it's actually been really resistant to smell. I would guess Franchises might be the best gloves for no smell.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also I've resigned to just buying cheaper/clearance gloves and then replacing every 18-24 months. I snagged my Koncepts for $50 on clearance and am about to get a second pair to rotate them.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:13 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Also I've resigned to just buying cheaper/clearance gloves and then replacing every 18-24 months. I snagged my Koncepts for $50 on clearance and am about to get a second pair to rotate them.
i approve this message......do the same thing, will never spend more then $40-$50 on gloves again...the ones i have now, have not only lasted the longest but smell the least and if i remember correctly they were like $20-$30

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:40 PM
donkers*

I might buy the Winnwell gloves because I really like the NXT stuff. I like my 4 Rolls too much though.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The new 4-Rolls with the blue liner I think would be better than the old ones. I have no idea if it's just the color but my Tacklas and Warriors have the blue liner which repels moisture and has drastically reduced or no smell.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Good idea. I'll probably go this route from now on.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
I might buy the Winnwell gloves because I really like the NXT stuff. I like my 4 Rolls too much though.
Another good one; I have the NXT shoulder pads and dont have any problems with them.
That will be my next purchase but I'll have to roll with what I have at the moment because I just spent some bucks on sticks.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:49 AM
Hank4Hart

just bring your gear for a round of esporta cleaning every few months... works like a charm

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Danglous

My local shop has Winwell Pro gloves on clearance for like $55. I love the look and feel of them but are they worth it?

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:02 PM
ryangib

I've found that lathering your hands with shaving cream in the shower for about about 30 seconds will get the smell off your hands better than soap.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:22 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
My local shop has Winwell Pro gloves on clearance for like $55. I love the look and feel of them but are they worth it?
Yes.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:33 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Yes.
If these are the new pro stock, which are the tips r8 and have the gusset less index finger

Otherwise the old one was terrible

Old
05-20-2012, 09:36 PM
AIREAYE

Heck, at that price? Either one lol

Old
05-20-2012, 09:40 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Heck, at that price? Either one lol
Lol, us think but no...

I've seen them for sale at Canadian tire, a smu sorta, and the Palms were thick as baseball mits and would require significant effort to break in... One55 gloves or s11 s by a longshot are better, just air them over a vent when u get home...

The new one is good and is basically a nxt treated tps r8, which is now my favorite glove

Old
05-20-2012, 09:43 PM
AIREAYE

Huh, I didn't realize there was an SMU, good point.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
7toZulu

Let me just say, in my semi drunken rant, that Hfboards kicks ass if im looking at smelly glove posts for fun!

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last week at Hockey Giant they were blowing out Winnwell gloves and had two models. The cheaper one was $30 or so and honestly crap. The nicer ones was $50 and a pretty solid 4-roll. It wasn't the re-branded TPS R8, but those gloves are definitely worth up to $100 if you can find them.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:54 PM
n3ss

I washed my gloves once with some powdered soap(got the kind that didn't have any fragrance, dyes, etc) and it got most of the smell out with one wash. They have a noticeable odor if you stick your face in them, but no more stench following me around the ice.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
I washed my gloves once with some powdered soap(got the kind that didn't have any fragrance, dyes, etc) and it got most of the smell out with one wash. They have a noticeable odor if you stick your face in them, but no more stench following me around the ice.
it's a little embarrassing when people are holding their nose in the face-off circle.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
hockeymass

I bought a used pair of Franchises that had a funky smell to them. I stuck a dryer sheet down into each one and left them there for like 3 days next to an open window. The smell decreased drastically.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote