HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

WCF Gm#4, 5/20/12 : COYOTES defeat KINGS 2-0, Kings Lead Series 3-1 ...

Old
05-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
We're still 3-1.
People blaming Quick makes me wanna puke, he' s the main reason we are still playing, and people still bash him. This is ****ing unbelievable.
For the record I'm not blaming Quick. In general he has been very good, calm and in control. But he has fought it just a tad in a couple of spots, and given up a couple of uncharacteristic bad goals this series (the red-line goal, and that one five-hole goal in previous games).

Smith has not given up any bad goals IMO and has had to be in stand-on-his-head mode the whole series.

This is truly like comparing a couple of all-stars and I'm really not all that concerned about Quick. He bounces back from giving up a goal better than any Kings goaltender I can remember. I firmly believe the Kings can beat either one of the Eastern teams with Quickie back there.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:48 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Coyotes came ready to play. Full marks to them. Kings needed a bit of a wake-up call as well.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:54 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

I blame the eclipse! It's been blamed for wars, famines,droughts,etc. What are the odd that it just so happened to be on a closeout game for the Kings?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:58 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
Exactly. Are you not happy with Quock? Plenty of room on the Ducks bandwagon...
Relax Mr. Drama

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:01 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
What, it surprises you that Mike Smith is the best player in the series?

He has looked sharper than Quick, end of story.

Of course, it helps if you are busy all the time as a goaltender so you can stay in your rhythm. Smith has been far busier than Quick.

The Kings have out-shot and out-chanced the Coyotes this whole series by a ton. The Kings have played bigger, been faster, and have possessed the puck far better. Smith is the biggest reason why this mismatch of a series hasn't been even a bigger mismatch. He basically stole the game today. Smith has been the best single player, the Kings by far the better overall team.
He's been good, but the best player in the series doesn't lose the first 3 game of the series, giving up 10 goals over that span. Just because he was busy, keeping his team from being blown out in those game doesn't make him worthy of that praise. He was the best guy today along with Doan.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Its Kopitar from December to February!

Snoozer game. I tried watching the archive when I got home but just skimmed it after the first 5 minutes made me doze off.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:18 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneil99 View Post
Didn't like the play of either team personally, coyotes got the breaks today. Mike Smith was the best player on the ice. Kings need a better effort Tuesday to finish it off which I'm sure they will; hopefully they learnt their lesson today
Smith was terrible dude. the guy was lost the entire game. If not for ungodly luck and his defense blocking 1/2 of every shot attempted along with cleaning up his constant mistakes he loses.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'd like to see Justin Williams do more out there. I was expecting more from one of the veterans who has a Cup ring, but he's only netted two goals in the playoffs. Felt that the best line tonight was the Richards line and the Fraser line. Kopitar's line and Stoll's line didn't play their usually up-tempo style with aggressive forechecking. Put this game behind 'em, rest and regroup, hit the reset button and wrap this one up in Phoenix.

I think this loss may benefit the team. They avoided having a very long layoff and get to play next week, with the possibility of the Finals starting late next week.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
He's been good, but the best player in the series doesn't lose the first 3 game of the series, giving up 10 goals over that span. Just because he was busy, keeping his team from being blown out in those game doesn't make him worthy of that praise. He was the best guy today along with Doan.
Since I don't really personally like the guy all that much, I really don't feel like defending Mike Smith much more, so I'll just say that with the Kings having an average of 38 shots on goal per game, and boatloads of scoring chances, the number of goals Smith has given up can be deceiving. The Kings have shown quite a lot offensively and Smith has not given up a bad goal. One of those 10 was an empty netter by the way.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:26 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

On the bright side this team might actually benefit from facing some adversity. Things aren't always gonna come as easy as they have so they've got to learn to deal with it. Also, playing more games might be better than to have another week off, it keeps them sharp. That said, I would have obviously preferred a series sweep.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:29 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'd like to see Justin Williams do more out there. I was expecting more from one of the veterans who has a Cup ring, but he's only netted two goals in the playoffs. Felt that the best line tonight was the Richards line and the Fraser line. Kopitar's line and Stoll's line didn't play their usually up-tempo style with aggressive forechecking. Put this game behind 'em, rest and regroup, hit the reset button and wrap this one up in Phoenix.

I think this loss may benefit the team. They avoided having a very long layoff and get to play next week, with the possibility of the Finals starting late next week.
Williams has been frustrating me. He handles the puck like a grenade and I've noticed whenever he gets the puck near the blue line he will turn back and a lot of times turn it over and allow the opposition to stay in our zone. He really needs to pick it up.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Bandit

I would like to see Doughty off the powerplay, like, immediately. He's indecisive and doesn't make smart plays. The only thing he's good at is nailing the guy in front of him in the shin pads with puck, and there's no creativity when he's at the top of the umbrella. Just a bunch of static passes to either side.

The Kings didn't have much today. Outside of Lewis and the guys on the 4th line, everyone looked like they were still asleep. I'm not concerned, we'll close them out on Tuesday, I just really wish our powerplay wasn't so awful. Richards, Kopitar, Carter, Brown, etc. it should be practically automatic...

Oh well, on to the next game!

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I would rather see another Kings game on Tuesday than wait another week for the East to finish. Kings hockey games are good. The Kings needed to be reminded how hard it is to win 4 games out of 7.

It was a disappointing game today, but the Kings did have some great chances to score and failed. If Lewis scored on that shorthanded breakaway, it would have been a totally different game. Kings had some other out numbered attacks as well, I don't remember the Kings giving Phoenix any.

The PP and faceoffs are a growing concern, but the Kings have 3 more chances to get 1 win. I still like their chances in Phoenix.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I would like to see Doughty off the powerplay, like, immediately. He's indecisive and doesn't make smart plays. The only thing he's good at is nailing the guy in front of him in the shin pads with puck, and there's no creativity when he's at the top of the umbrella. Just a bunch of static passes to either side.

The Kings didn't have much today. Outside of Lewis and the guys on the 4th line, everyone looked like they were still asleep. I'm not concerned, we'll close them out on Tuesday, I just really wish our powerplay wasn't so awful. Richards, Kopitar, Carter, Brown, etc. it should be practically automatic...

Oh well, on to the next game!
Speaking of the PP, why is Stoll out there so much on the PP?? 6 goals in the regular season and 2 in the playoffs...that's 8 goals in 92 games for him! He has been great overall, but please get him off the PP!! AND, put Dustin Brown on the first unit again, with Kopitar. Kopitar and Brown have the best chemistry of any 2 forwards we have and are arguably our 2 best goal scorer's. Why have Brown on the second unit?

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Speaking of the PP, why is Stoll out there so much on the PP?? 6 goals in the regular season and 2 in the playoffs...that's 8 goals in 92 games for him! He has been great overall, but please get him off the PP!! AND, put Dustin Brown on the first unit again, with Kopitar. Kopitar and Brown have the best chemistry of any 2 forwards we have and are arguably our 2 best goal scorer's. Why have Brown on the second unit?
Brown has been on the first unit the past game and a half. Richards was on the point with Doughty. It was Brown-Kopitar-Carter-Richards-Doughty. And they still did nothing with 5 PPs (technically 6, but the last one doesn't count).

Old
05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
What, it surprises you that Mike Smith is the best player in the series?

He has looked sharper than Quick, end of story.

Of course, it helps if you are busy all the time as a goaltender so you can stay in your rhythm. Smith has been far busier than Quick.

The Kings have out-shot and out-chanced the Coyotes this whole series by a ton. The Kings have played bigger, been faster, and have possessed the puck far better. Smith is the biggest reason why this mismatch of a series hasn't been even a bigger mismatch. He basically stole the game today. Smith has been the best single player, the Kings by far the better overall team.
I don't think Smith stole the game today at all. I'd say Doan did. Don't get me wrong, Smith played well, but there were multiple times where he had no idea where the rebound went and it was sitting ready to be knocked in the open net. Except one of his teammates was there first to bail him out, or by dumb luck it stuck under his skate or slid into his glove.

Both of those actually happened today. The puck got through him, he's falling back and the puck literally slides and hits his glove as its on the ice. Another time it squirts through him but bounces under his right skate and tucks against the post. unbelievable puck luck.

The Kings didn't have their usual jump today, and the weren't getting any bounces to help them either.

I'm sure Sutter will have them ready for the next game. As for the PP, that's a whole other baffling story...

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:26 PM
bobafettish*

kind of happy they loss, finisht them of sunday.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Wow.. we lose one game but are still up 3-1. One win away from the finals and... The Negativity in here is terrible. I'm still ecstatic that the kings made it this far.. and are still playing!

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
Wow.. we lose one game but are still up 3-1. One win away from the finals and... The Negativity in here is terrible. I'm still ecstatic that the kings made it this far.. and are still playing!
I don't see much negativity. Kings weren't at the top of their game and Phoenix was. Still takes four wins to move on. The kings need one and Phoenix needs three.

Kings still control the series.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:37 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Atleast we get to see another game since the Rangers take it 10 games.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:48 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Would rather give up this loss now than in the finals, should the Kings get there.

They needed to splash that cold water of failure in their face and wake up a bit. Hope they come back on fire in Phoenix and start a new win streak.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:55 PM
backhander

if the Kings were going to lose in the series it's best being up 3 first. totally happy for this team and the fans. we didn't get the bounces or the extra jump we needed to win. let's come back strong and finish this out.

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
robitaillefan
Bababooey,Tatatoothy

I hope smith does not get into one of his grooves where the coyotes are completely outshot and he stands on his head....seems like he loves that...

I will breathe easy when we score on him...do not need a shutout streak...

robitaillefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:30 PM
johnjm22

You're not going to win every game. Kings had their chances but couldn't capitalize. It happens.

Quick hasn't been playing his best hockey all playoffs. Stats can be deceiving.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Quick was awful today.
I thought the whole team was lackluster today. Not the same team we had been seeing. Wonder if they gave up on staying at a hotel while prior to home games too?

Dooney is offline   Reply With Quote