HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

lockout

Old
05-20-2012, 08:07 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'd be crushed if there was another lockout. Honestly, I've stuck my neck out a TON to non-hockey/sports fans over the last 7(+) years fighting to get hockey some respect, and if they go into their 2nd lockout in 8 years (and 3rd in 18), then they deserve to be at the bottom of the American sports food chain. How could they expect to succeed by continuing to do this? And I'm nervous because the more people talk about Fehr, the more I think a lockout is possible.
Unfortunately it will always be at the bottom of the food chain until they ban fighting, and start marketing the game better. Too many teams are content with garnering just enough local corporate support and a local cult like fan base.

A long range national marketing plan would greatly help.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:12 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

From what I'm being told, there doesn't seem to be a majority of owners who want to roll back the players % of revenue closer to 50% like the other leagues. A slight roll back is possible, but the NHL will have to give the players something substantial to get that.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Gir°ux #28

I refuse to watch ****** basketball and baseball.........

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
I refuse to watch ****** basketball and baseball.........
You don't have to, there's going to be plenty of great hockey played even if there is a lockout.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Gir°ux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
You don't have to, there's going to be plenty of great hockey played even if there is a lockout.
How so I live in jersey lol

Old
05-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I dont want a full year without hockey but I wouldnt mind a shortened season of about 55-60 games.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Ryker

Quote:
How so I live in jersey lol
Well, you can watch college hockey, or stream KHL, SEL, NLA and other European league games. Just as exciting as NHL.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Bluepee

What site would i go to watch a dynamo riga game? Thanks in advance!!

Bluepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:10 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepee View Post
What site would i go to watch a dynamo riga game? Thanks in advance!!
LiveTV.ru usually has all televised KHL games.
If you want something more legit, the Latvian channel that has the license to broadcast KHL games (including Dinamo games) has an official stream here.
If your Internet is fast, choose 800 kbps.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I would hate a shorter season... I need mah hockey!
the first 40 games mean nothing anyways

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:04 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Unfortunately it will always be at the bottom of the food chain until they ban fighting, and start marketing the game better. Too many teams are content with garnering just enough local corporate support and a local cult like fan base.

A long range national marketing plan would greatly help.
I don't agree with that. People who give hockey a legitimate chance (more the one period, look into what the rules are) usually convert to becoming a fan. Hockey's also 1 of the 2 major sports that profit (football). The NBC deal was fantastic for the league, but NBC needs to become stronger as is too. The Leno saga and Ebersol resigning right after the NHL contract was agreed upon didn't help.

As for fighting, meh. MMA and UFC's popularity is incredibly high, and it's much more brutal that boxing. There will always be people against fighting, and that's understandable. But they need to understand why fighting exists. It's not just for the hell of it (well, some of it is...and hardcore fans hate staged fights), it's to police the game. If fighting leaves, then guys like (old) Cooke, Kaleta, Tootoo, and Rinaldo just run rampant, because they can still play the game well enough not to be effected by a fighting ban.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The season should only be 50-60 games long maximum.

No chance we get a lock-out. The NHL would cease to exist should it happen again
Shortened seasons usually are condensed ones. This creates a huge injury factor.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:24 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Well, you can watch college hockey, or stream KHL, SEL, NLA and other European league games. Just as exciting as NHL.
not even close

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
not even close
Other than the coverage (edit: OK, I admit, that's a great part of it), how so?

Old
05-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
I don't agree with that. People who give hockey a legitimate chance (more the one period, look into what the rules are) usually convert to becoming a fan. Hockey's also 1 of the 2 major sports that profit (football). The NBC deal was fantastic for the league, but NBC needs to become stronger as is too. The Leno saga and Ebersol resigning right after the NHL contract was agreed upon didn't help.
Just curious... MLB does not make a profit? -- I'm assuming you mean with the National televising deals -- That greatly surprises me... the NBA with a dwindling audience I suppose I could see, even though I had thought the TV contracts were insanely lucrative for the League... Not doubting you since I have not searched and studied the numbers, merely surprised.

It is ironic how the NBC/Versus original contracts after the Lockout were scoffed at by all except those who saw them as an opportunity for the NHL to reconstruct itself into a product that could at least slightly profit from a major broadcasting partnership... starting with the 'New' NHL rules that were originally brought about to add excitement and reduce or even eliminate the clutching and grabbing, as well as allow late comebacks and more Third Period wins from behind... They thought the NHL Owners to be insane fools giving their product away for just about free... or even offering it at a loss... With the Post-Lockout growth and increase popularity in more area of the country, coupled with an NBA falling out of favor slowly but surely (IMO), there seems to be a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel... as long as people are not looking for too much too quickly. The NHL will never be the NFL or MLB, but it may hold it's own with the NBA some day... at least in some parts of the USA.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Gir°ux #28

Quote:

As for fighting, meh. MMA and UFC's popularity is incredibly high, and it's much more brutal that boxing. There will always be people against fighting, and that's understandable. But they need to understand why fighting exists. It's not just for the hell of it (well, some of it is...and hardcore fans hate staged fights), it's to police the game. If fighting leaves, then guys like (old) Cooke, Kaleta, Tootoo, and Rinaldo just run rampant, because they can still play the game well enough not to be effected by a fighting ban.
Then the playoffs come around and everyone is somehow a die hard hockey fan.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:22 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Then the playoffs come around and everyone is somehow a die hard hockey fan.
Regular season hockey = lower ratings, goonism, fighting.

Playoff hockey = ratings going through the roof the past 5 or so years, much less goonism and virtually no fighting.

More than a coincidence. The game is so much better in the playoffs without all of the goonism and fighting, no wonder more people watch.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Regular season hockey = lower ratings, goonism, fighting.

Playoff hockey = ratings going through the roof the past 5 or so years, much less goonism and virtually no fighting.

More than a coincidence. The game is so much better in the playoffs without all of the goonism and fighting, no wonder more people watch.
I don't think it has anything to do with fighting and goonism at all. Take any league, and compare those two ratings. You can't just look at one variable, and declare without justification that it's more than a coincidence.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Gir°ux #28

Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with fighting and goonism at all. Take any league, and compare those two ratings. You can't just look at one variable, and declare without justification that it's more than a coincidence.
Agreed

Old
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
It is indisputable. Virtually no fighting in the playoffs and the ratings blow away regular season hockey ratings. It's not even close. You can "think" all you want and speculate what the reason is. I'll deal with the facts.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:54 PM
pughater

i dunno about anyone else but i cant do without my fly boys! the lockout year alone was tough but having the lil flyers (phantoms) around eased some of the pain but they are in new york now so. i prefer no lock out!

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:24 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Just curious... MLB does not make a profit? -- I'm assuming you mean with the National televising deals -- That greatly surprises me... the NBA with a dwindling audience I suppose I could see, even though I had thought the TV contracts were insanely lucrative for the League... Not doubting you since I have not searched and studied the numbers, merely surprised.

It is ironic how the NBC/Versus original contracts after the Lockout were scoffed at by all except those who saw them as an opportunity for the NHL to reconstruct itself into a product that could at least slightly profit from a major broadcasting partnership... starting with the 'New' NHL rules that were originally brought about to add excitement and reduce or even eliminate the clutching and grabbing, as well as allow late comebacks and more Third Period wins from behind... They thought the NHL Owners to be insane fools giving their product away for just about free... or even offering it at a loss... With the Post-Lockout growth and increase popularity in more area of the country, coupled with an NBA falling out of favor slowly but surely (IMO), there seems to be a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel... as long as people are not looking for too much too quickly. The NHL will never be the NFL or MLB, but it may hold it's own with the NBA some day... at least in some parts of the USA.
I've heard through televised sources that this was the case as late of last season. If you think about it in terms of attendance...baseball teams really struggle. I would bet that almost 50%, maybe more, don't come close to selling out (though they may say otherwise). It may not be true though, or may not include other profitable sources, as Internet searches of the most profitable leagues will still have the NHL buried near the bottom.

Who knows. I agree that the NHL has been very successful since the lockout, and the NBA is SURELY dying (though stats somehow say otherwise).

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:55 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
Quote:
It is indisputable. Virtually no fighting in the playoffs and the ratings blow away regular season hockey ratings. It's not even close. You can "think" all you want and speculate what the reason is. I'll deal with the facts.
Yep, no other sport sees big increases in ratings during the playoffs.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:11 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, there's no shoot outs in the play-offs and the ratings go through the roof. Ergo, People hate the shoot out and it should go. FACT.

In fact, there's the little Stanley Cup logo painted onto the ice during the post-season and raings go through the roof! It's not even close, the people have spoken! We want more painted logos! FACT.

God, it's the beards! No regular season beards but as soon as the beards come out in the play-offs the tv ratings are ridic. FACT.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:15 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Yet the Pit Phi game with all the fights and brawls was the highest rated 1st series game in years.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote