HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mikael Backlund

Old
05-20-2012, 04:34 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Franson and Colborne for Backlund and Arnold?

This is something I would think long and hard about for sure.
Good. From the Leafs I'd do this.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:36 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:

I'd pass personally I don't think it is terrible value but I think Arnold and Colborne have the same value and would rather keep the offensive prospect.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Would you accept a potential top 4 PMD in Weber from Montreal?

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:56 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
No. Why is every Montreal fan trying to kick him out the door, if he has decent potential. Literally every thread has Habs fans trying to sell Weber for anything.

Im personally not ready to give up on Backs, im thinking and hoping him and Baertschi get paired together and Backlund breaks out.

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:50 PM
spuzzum

Calgary is so thin at center even if it looks like Backs will be mediocre at best. Can ill afford to trade him unless for a real good return

spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
No. Why is every Montreal fan trying to kick him out the door, if he has decent potential. Literally every thread has Habs fans trying to sell Weber for anything.

Im personally not ready to give up on Backs, im thinking and hoping him and Baertschi get paired together and Backlund breaks out.
Too many d-men.

We have

Subban
Markov
Diaz
Gorges
Emelin
Kaberle

ahead of him.

Problem is, while we can have weber as #7 D, our d core is severly lacking an extra shutdown punch. Diaz is also available tbh. Kaberle is available but no one will pay and the other PMD Ds are subban and Markov. Markov missed nearly 2 years and subban isn't getting moved to make space for a defensive d-man. We're left with weber and Diaz. We could just as easily suggest Diaz for a struggling prospect but Diaz can play already and would be worth more than that.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Would you do it if it was Horak instead of Arnold?
I'd move Horak before Arnold. I think we know what Horak is. He's a smart, softish 3rd line center. I think Arnold has Chris Clark type potential.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:

I'd probably do it too, Backlund is more of a certainty than Colbourne, but Franson is more of a certainty than Arnold. I think Franson has more upside than Arnold.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't take Weber for free. He'd get eaten alive in the western conference. He's a lesser version of Connely who can't crack the line-up even with the injuries.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Don't really want to move Arnold. I think he has the potential to be pretty good down the road. I would also rather keep Backlund unless he's part of a package for a real number one centre.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't take Weber for free. He'd get eaten alive in the western conference. He's a lesser version of Connely who can't crack the line-up even with the injuries.
You realize Weber played like #6 minutes and was on pace for 25 points as a d-man. Flames leader was 29 points.

While I don't mean to suggest "YOU NEED WEBER" or anything like that. Saying he's a lesser version of Connolly is far from accurate.

Also, this western conference stuff. Weber played some his best games against Boston during the playoffs. In two series vs Boston he's got 4 points in 6 games and a plus rating so...3 of them are goals.

Old
05-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You realize Weber played like #6 minutes and was on pace for 25 points as a d-man. Flames leader was 29 points.

While I don't mean to suggest "YOU NEED WEBER" or anything like that. Saying he's a lesser version of Connolly is far from accurate.

Also, this western conference stuff. Weber played some his best games against Boston during the playoffs. In two series vs Boston he's got 4 points in 6 games and a plus rating so...3 of them are goals.
Great, then keep him. If "on pace" means anything then Giordano would have had 39 points. Weber couldn't keep a regular spot for a blueline that is average at best. Weber is extremely one dimensional and Giordano, Bouwmeester and Babchuk all were on pace for more points than him. I dislike Weber as a player. I don't think he's even an NHLer for most teams. Would you trade Eller for Babchuk? Because that's basically what you're asking us to do.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:03 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Great, then keep him. If "on pace" means anything then Giordano would have had 39 points. Weber couldn't keep a regular spot for a blueline that is average at best. Weber is extremely one dimensional and Giordano, Bouwmeester and Babchuk all were on pace for more points than him. I dislike Weber as a player. I don't think he's even an NHLer for most teams. Would you trade Eller for Babchuk? Because that's basically what you're asking us to do.
Again, where did I say you NEED weber or you absolutely MUST trade Backlund for Weber? I merely suggested Weber is better than Connolly.

As for the reasons we wouldn't keep him. Well, if you prefer an 'established' kaberle, then i'd rather trade him. Habs have other needs and to leave a guy as #7 D and ruin his potential while the forward corps sucks isn't very logical.

Btw, if we do it your way and exclude 'on pace' weber finishes 3rd on the flames D for points.

In an ideal world Weber gets a chance to develop but with Gauthier's genius acquisitions we have vets on the decline that cant be traded and have more of a track record so will get the benefit of the doubt over him.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Bozak+Colborne for Backlund+Arnold.
I would definitely do this.

Quote:
Not a terrible proposal. I've seen worse.

Although I'm kinda high on Arnold. Would love to see the player he could potentially become playing for Calgary, not Toronto.
Flames prospects are expecting too much from Arnold, maybe not you but the fact someone called him a dark horse and suggesting him in a package for Kadri is laughable. Arnold could become a very good 4th line centerman in the future, he does not have the offensive game to do much if any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Now is not the time to deal Backlund if you're the Flames... his development hasn't been perfect since his draft almost 5 years ago now... no one is going to give you the return that reflects his top potential at this stage, and for Calgary, waiting for that potential is worth more than whatever return they can get for him now.

Only reason for a team like Calgary to deal him would be if they've given up on his potential... otherwise you keep the guy you think can still develop into a top-6 center, especially on a team that is in desperate need for that kind of talent.

Simply put, Backlund won't be worth nearly enough to justify moving him over keeping him and hoping his development gets back on track soon.
it depends what Backlund is moved for doesn't it? If the Flames do a deal like to one proposed by a the Leaf fan a few posts up we are getting a younger and bigger player with similar upside to Backlund.

Quote:

Like I said above I would take the original offer, but I woudl do it for Franson as well as I think Bozak and Franson both fit needs for us now and are young enough to help in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Calgary is so thin at center even if it looks like Backs will be mediocre at best. Can ill afford to trade him unless for a real good return
we are thin when it comes to top 6 centers, when it comes to 3rd and 4th line centers we have a ton.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:33 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
Many fans are high on the potential that Mikael Backlund has and that he could potentially be a solid top 6 player down the road. He had a bit of an injury filled season last year. What would you offer to get Mikael Backlund out of Calgary?
Looking at his stats don't think he will stick in NHL.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:02 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Looking at his stats don't think he will stick in NHL.
perhaps you should watch him play instead of judging by stats.

Do you think Lars Eller will stick in the NHL? His stats are worse than Backlunds afterall.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:54 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Diaz is also available tbh.
What would you want from the Stars?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:08 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
What would you want from the Stars?
Not sure what stars have to offer. Diaz is less likely to go than weber but I'd be willing to trade either if it made sense. I'd want similarly aged talent with a different role. Young physical shutdown d-man as an example. I don't know much about Stars to comment. I mean, I know your players but the direction and the prospects i'm not 100% on.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Calgary keeps him. They're gonna need him for their youth movement.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Backlund

Not ready to deal Backlund unless its in a package for a young 1st line center.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:43 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
I was expecting you to come on and say which team you'd rather play for.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
My thoughts as well, Backlund has had some bad luck with fluky injurys and I also want to see him play under a new coach before giving up on him. The kid has great talent and vision..at 23 still could be a #1.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
My thoughts as well, Backlund has had some bad luck with fluky injurys and I also want to see him play under a new coach before giving up on him. The kid has great talent and vision..at 23 still could be a #1.
He's fast and has nice hands. He could be a Plekanec type #1/2, but he could also be another Dustin Boyd who also was fast and had nice hands.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:25 AM
mpt
Rookie User

Ville Leino

mpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:54 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
He's fast and has nice hands. He could be a Plekanec type #1/2, but he could also be another Dustin Boyd who also was fast and had nice hands.
Backlund has shown much more in his all around game then Boyd ever did at the NHL level. He is a very solid defensive player.

If Backlund improves in the faceoff dot, he could be a very successful third line center should his offensive game not develop into a top six role.

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote