HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

WCF Gm#4, 5/20/12 : COYOTES defeat KINGS 2-0, Kings Lead Series 3-1 ...

Old
05-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney View Post
I thought the whole team was lackluster today. Not the same team we had been seeing. Wonder if they gave up on staying at a hotel while prior to home games too?
When asked about traffic, Sutter mentioned the boys would be there already. I think that meant that they were staying at a hotel.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
When asked about traffic, Sutter mentioned the boys would be there already. I think that meant that they were staying at a hotel.
I don't think "staying at a hotel" for every single game is beneficial. At one point they have to regress...

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Where's little bunny foo foo? ****er was on the news and didn't even tell me!

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Shootmaster_44

This game seemed much like the game I saw in LA in November, this wasn't the same team today. However, they never seem to play well in the afternoon. I expect tomorrow might a tough day of travel/practice for them. But Sutter will have them fired up for Game 5. I don't expect the same effort on Tuesday night in Phoenix.

Everything seemed lackluster this afternoon, even the crowd. I would've expected for an elimination game where the Kings would go to the Cup Finals if they win, the crowd would be noisy the whole game. I think the early start (and the 9 AM recommendation to get to Staples) took the wind out of the crowd's sails before the game even started. Hopefully next year if the Kings are playing a potential series winner in May that the Tour of California falls during a Lakers playoff game, not a Kings one.

I also hope that the NHL tells NBC, you want to cover a series clinching game, they go at the earliest 5 PM local time.

Oh well doesn't matter now, since the Kings will head to the desert and come back with the Clarence Campbell Bowl and the head of the Coyote on a pike. I'm over today's game, it is now time to march on. We'll head to the desert and we'll come back the victors!

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
I don't think "staying at a hotel" for every single game is beneficial. At one point they have to regress...
No but today it would make sense to stay at a hotel. Had they gone to their homes, they would've had to contend with the same traffic issues everyone else did. Since I think a lot of players live out near the Toyota Sports Center in El Seguindo (or at least I got the impression they did), they would've had to leave their homes by 6 AM to get to Staples before the crowds poured in at 9 AM. Makes more sense to stay downtown and heck if they stayed at the JW Marriott across from LA Live, they could've been at the rink by 10 AM as they could walk over.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, just the first page, but I only saw one guy give Smith credit. (I am sure there are more, just didn't peruse the entire thread.)

The guy wasn't going to get beat today, and I knew it as soon as the first period. Just like in the February game, nothing was going to get past him. Although I will say the Kings made him stand on his head in February...not so much today.

Two games at home, 7 goals allowed.
Two games on the road, 2.

Definitely hope he reverts to his home stance at home...I remember in the Chicago series he let in a couple of late 3rd period goals and an overtime goal...he seems to lose something of an edge at home.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:34 PM
SLang

Well, sucks they lost, but what a killer day downtown today. Public transportation worked really well, the crowd was fired up outside Staples before the game, the end of the Tour of California was awesome, and the beer was great! If only the Kings had done their part, the day would have been perfect.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Scottkmlps

Would've been nice to end it at home, but it just wasn't meant to be. It ends Tuesday.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
drbob

my impressions :

at the game,

1) thought the 1st goal was a soft one until i found out it was deflected, but the 2nd one definitely could have been stopped,

2) Kings came out fine early in the 1st period, but seemed to lose timing and rhythm late in the first and for most of the 2nd, were outplayed for that time period, e.g. lack of tape to tape passes,

3) Smith basically stole the game by standing on his head, otherwise the Kings would have scored 2-3 goals total from the 1st and 3rd periods,

4) overall, game was pretty even, but Coyotes had their best effort and execution by far in the series,

5) the energy/excitement in the stands was xlnt in the pregame and at the start, but lost some steam after the 2nd goal which is natural,

6) good chance the Kings will regroup on Tues with a better effort and execution and forecheck (which was pretty poor today),

Kings win 3-1 as Quick plays better and our forecheck keeps them in their D zone 70% of the time, with us outshooting them 35 to 20, imho...

Go Kings Go !!!!!!!!!!1

drbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

We need to draw first blood. That's when PHX starts panicking. Can't afford to let them score first.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
It's pretty pathetic for anyone to be blaming Quick.
Quick scored 0 goals...it must be his fault right?

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Ollie Weeks

Phoenix outplayed us; we looked sluggish, reactive, and bumbling. Good enough time for a wakeup call as any, 1 win away from the SCF. Better now than then.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Ollie Weeks

I wouldn't go so far as to pin this game on Quick, because as a team we looked really lackluster, but he looked far more scrambly in net than usual. Some of those high shots that missed the net, he looked prepared to charge all the way out to the shooter. Once that creeps into his game, things get weird.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I think it was home pressure. Atleast we raised coyote fans hopes just to crush it game 5, vancouver style.

P.S. Quick needs to step his game up.
It's like his head just wasn't in it. He was lucky to give up only 2.

Buuut when your offense can't score.... can't put too much blame on Quick.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

I blame everyone that hasn't jumped onboard with a 2012 Kings Playoff Avatar yet ... some of you said after a lose you'd ditch your Old Avatar from 1954 or your CLOWnE GOAT avatar's or ???? ... yeah well, they lost, so let's step it up before Tuesday

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:27 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Everyone was talking about Quick needing to step up, but where the **** was Brown and the vets? Disappointing, but I think the Kings need a loss like this to get them to reset and be more focused that they need to take it one game at a time.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Pucknut50

Everybody blaming Quick turn in your bandwagon card. Let's give the Yotes some credit they played great with a lead. On to Phoenix to try to close this series out.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Is there a site that keeps track of how many goaltender interference's Smith has drawn this season? Smith had a great game but him drawing these penalties is driving me nuts.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
Is there a site that keeps track of how many goaltender interference's Smith has drawn this season? Smith had a great game but him drawing these penalties is driving me nuts.
Reminds me of playing NHL 12.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:06 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
I blame everyone that hasn't jumped onboard with a 2012 Kings Playoff Avatar yet ... some of you said after a lose you'd ditch your Old Avatar from 1954 or your CLOWnE GOAT avatar's or ???? ... yeah well, they lost, so let's step it up before Tuesday
This one is Stanley Cup or bust...

It was originally a statement for the Kings to get the bugs out of the system...but now feel that the only RAID for this avatar belongs to Lord Stanley...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:27 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Everybody blaming Quick turn in your bandwagon card. Let's give the Yotes some credit they played great with a lead. On to Phoenix to try to close this series out.
I felt that Quick was unlucky this time...and was hoping that Bernier could have somehow turned some of that luck in our favor after that second goal... I think it's the old school in me talking that to spark up the team you may have to sacrifice a goalie from time to time...just not to Mike Keenan levels...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Relax Mr. Drama
I'm totally relax, Mr. teenager

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:10 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

we need a proffesional powerplay doctor, a real pinball wizard

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:03 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Phoenix played much better and the Kings did not play as well as they have been playing. All that and Phoenix still needed Smith to bail them out.

Tippett is wrong if he thinks there weren't plenty of shots in prime scoring areas for the Kings. They easily could have had two or three goals.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Yep, you nailed it. I'm a huge bandwagon fan. Totally 100% riding the Kings' jockstrap for this playoff run only. How many points does it count for when they score the ball into the net again?

Heaven forbid anyone have the audacity to question the almighty Quick. The Kings might not have scored in regulation, but that game should haven't ended after the third period. Quick has looked shaky all series. Over-committing to shots. Scrambling too much in the crease. Booting huge rebounds into the slot. Fortunately it hadn't come back to bite the team until yesterday since the team played so well in front of him the first 3 games.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote