HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Ellis has exceeded the Canadiens' expectations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2012, 11:11 AM
  #26
Vi Nc E x13x
Registered User
 
Vi Nc E x13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I would prefer to ground Subban and Beaulieu with stay at home guys.

Subban-Gorges
Beaulieu-Tinordi
Emelin-Ellis

Of course, I suck at sides for D pairings, so fix them as you will
More like Tinordi - subban
Beaulieu- gorges
Have them on there actual sides

Vi Nc E x13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:42 AM
  #27
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Tinordi-Ellis might make a great pairing for shutdown work while Ellis puts up the points for the pairing.
I'm hoping to eventually see:

Tinordi-Subban
Emelin-Gorges (shutdown)
Beaulieu-Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I would prefer to ground Subban and Beaulieu with stay at home guys.

Subban-Gorges
Beaulieu-Tinordi
Emelin-Ellis

Of course, I suck at sides for D pairings, so fix them as you will
Just put the right dmen on the right, and the left dmen on the left?


Last edited by Habsfan18: 05-20-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: merge
hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:45 PM
  #28
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
@johnnyb11...when you say Beaulieu has a greater skill set, is that compared to Subban or Ellis and Tinordi ?...with Beaulieu, I see him taking offensive chances that turn into turnovers to often, one would say that Subban would also do that at the junior level, but his skating was so much stronger that he could regain possession of the puck while I feel Beaulieu often quits on the play when he loses thepuck.
Like I said, now that his junior days are coming to an end, we'll see how he'll adapt to better opposition.
@rickthegoon - I was comparing Beaulieu to Ellis. Beaulieu's skating is miles ahead of Ellis's. I also think your feeling that Beaulieu is somehow prone to quit on plays is inaccurate. Again, this coming from a guy who has seen him and Ellis play a lot of games over the past number of seasons. Take it for what it's worth.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:56 PM
  #29
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Could Ellis be a offensively superior Gorges ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:44 PM
  #30
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Could Ellis be a offensively superior Gorges ?
That's what whitesnake was saying a while ago, I'll give credit to him for opening my eyes to Ellis before anyone was really talking about him. I don't want to make Ellis sound like he'll be a Norris candidate or anything but he'll hit more than Gorges, and he'll probably be able to fight better than him as well.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:32 PM
  #31
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
Ive watched him probably about 25 times in the past 3 seasons.He is solid in both ends of the ice. Hes improved steadily, his skating ,IMO isnt as bad as people make it out to be. Maybe in his first season but he has made big strides and worked alot in the offseason to improve it. Many people will get a good look at him at the Mem Cup with Shawinigan. He is most likely going to take 2 or 3 seasons in Hamilton before hes ready .. I could see him being a number 5 or 6 guy with Montreal in the future.He could very well be a steal , only time will tell with him and well see how he makes the jump to the pros ..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:39 PM
  #32
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,268
vCash: 50
How comparable is Ellis to Beauchemin?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:52 PM
  #33
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
How comparable is Ellis to Beauchemin?
Not very, imo. Ellis is more of a competitor, and seems more willing to sacrifice what it takes to make a play anywhere on the ice. I think the Gorges comparison is closest so far.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:06 PM
  #34
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Not very, imo. Ellis is more of a competitor, and seems more willing to sacrifice what it takes to make a play anywhere on the ice. I think the Gorges comparison is closest so far.
I know beauchemin has flaws in his game but I always thought one of his strengths at the NHL level has been his competitiveness.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:08 PM
  #35
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Not very, imo. Ellis is more of a competitor, and seems more willing to sacrifice what it takes to make a play anywhere on the ice. I think the Gorges comparison is closest so far.
Well if the idea was to compare him to Beauchemin with the idea to come close to a defensive defenceman first who does have "some" offensive game and is pretty tough and can fight, I say it's not that bad of a comparison. Though Beauchemin will ever be a much better fighter. But Ellis won't be shy to take care of himself and others, won't be his game though.

Yet, I believe Ellis has in him to be more reliable than Beauchemin. And could even be able to rack the points a little more. Though, do not get fooled. Ellis is playing on the PP with a Junior team. He shouldn't be able to do it in the bigs, at best in the PP#2.

When I made the Gorges comparison was just to say how reliable I thought Ellis was. The type of d-man that does the little things, might not get noticed a whole lot but make things happen. Though will be tougher than Josh. And also should be more offensive than him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:16 PM
  #36
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
@rickthegoon - I was comparing Beaulieu to Ellis. Beaulieu's skating is miles ahead of Ellis's. I also think your feeling that Beaulieu is somehow prone to quit on plays is inaccurate. Again, this coming from a guy who has seen him and Ellis play a lot of games over the past number of seasons. Take it for what it's worth.
Beaulieu is possibly the best skater in the QMJHL so saying Ellis' skating is not as good is far from an insult. Mobility wise Ellis is NHL average. I would compare him to the Habs version of Roman Hamrlik, 2nd pair guy that plays smart and can be used in all situations.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
  #37
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Beaulieu is possibly the best skater in the QMJHL so saying Ellis' skating is not as good is far from an insult. Mobility wise Ellis is NHL average. I would compare him to the Habs version of Roman Hamrlik, 2nd pair guy that plays smart and can be used in all situations.
OK, let me re-phrase that. I hold to the comment that Beaulieu's skating is miles ahead of Ellis's, not just 'not as good', but MILES apart; And I would say that Ellis's skating is not NHL average, although a coulpe of years in the minors and some hard work might allow him to achieve this.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:43 PM
  #38
btfbird
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well if the idea was to compare him to Beauchemin with the idea to come close to a defensive defenceman first who does have "some" offensive game and is pretty tough and can fight, I say it's not that bad of a comparison. Though Beauchemin will ever be a much better fighter. But Ellis won't be shy to take care of himself and others, won't be his game though.

Yet, I believe Ellis has in him to be more reliable than Beauchemin. And could even be able to rack the points a little more. Though, do not get fooled. Ellis is playing on the PP with a Junior team. He shouldn't be able to do it in the bigs, at best in the PP#2.

When I made the Gorges comparison was just to say how reliable I thought Ellis was. The type of d-man that does the little things, might not get noticed a whole lot but make things happen. Though will be tougher than Josh. And also should be more offensive than him.
Would it be realistic to compare him to Craig Rivet, although better at the transition part of the game.

btfbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:46 PM
  #39
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Ellis doesnt need elite speed to be a good NHL defenseman because of his smarts.

While Beaulieus speed and skating ability is essential to his success in his own zone because he plays such a high risk up-tempo offensive game.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:29 PM
  #40
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
OK, let me re-phrase that. I hold to the comment that Beaulieu's skating is miles ahead of Ellis's, not just 'not as good', but MILES apart; And I would say that Ellis's skating is not NHL average, although a coulpe of years in the minors and some hard work might allow him to achieve this.
You have to make the difference between his skating and his agility. This is what Ellis needs to work on. First steps and overall agility. Once he gets going, his skating is fine. Not incredibly fast, but fine. Thing is, as a d-man, who will NOT be a Subban and carry the puck that often, you need agility. Not pure skating. Yet, I have seen some improvement from Ellis till the start of the year. He will get there. He wants to get there.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:47 PM
  #41
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Ellis doesnt need elite speed to be a good NHL defenseman because of his smarts.

While Beaulieus speed and skating ability is essential to his success in his own zone because he plays such a high risk up-tempo offensive game.
I don't find Beaulieu's game is that high risk. He takes more chances than Tinordi and Ellis, but he isn't like 18 year old Subban just juping up ice every shift. He very much picks his spots and usually makes the right decision. He does need to improve his defensive coverage, taht's his main weakness. He has a good stick for defending but needs to shorten gaps and use his size more down low.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:50 PM
  #42
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btfbird View Post
Would it be realistic to compare him to Craig Rivet, although better at the transition part of the game.
I see Ellis as more cerebral than Rivet hence the Gorges comparison. And I see him as being able to be more agile down the road than Rivet. And surely with better offensive instincts, like you said transition wise.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
  #43
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You have to make the difference between his skating and his agility. This is what Ellis needs to work on. First steps and overall agility. Once he gets going, his skating is fine. Not incredibly fast, but fine. Thing is, as a d-man, who will NOT be a Subban and carry the puck that often, you need agility. Not pure skating. Yet, I have seen some improvement from Ellis till the start of the year. He will get there. He wants to get there.
Agreed, I think he will get there too. Let me reiterate I'm a fan of Ellis. I just don't agree with the poster who felt Ellis was ready for an NHL call up.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:08 PM
  #44
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't find Beaulieu's game is that high risk. He takes more chances than Tinordi and Ellis, but he isn't like 18 year old Subban just juping up ice every shift. He very much picks his spots and usually makes the right decision. He does need to improve his defensive coverage, taht's his main weakness. He has a good stick for defending but needs to shorten gaps and use his size more down low.
Good description of where his game is at right now, I dont think he is that risky too, he learnt to be selective and when he takes a risk offensively, it usually works so its not that much of a concern to me.. As you say, a bit more refine on his defensive coverage, needs to fill his frame like we all know and learn to shorten gaps.. His shot needs work as well but Im pretty confident it will get better when he gets stronger.. Overall, an amazing prospects in our hands with very little concerns about a bright future in the NHL..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:32 PM
  #45
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
How comparable is Ellis to Beauchemin?
Beauchemin is more like Emelin, loves to go for the big hit and make the opponents pay the price to gain the zone, what can put your team in trouble at times when out of position.. Ellis is more conservative and always well positionned on the ice.. As alot of posters here, I see him as a more offensively gifted Gorges, better shot, better passing..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:15 PM
  #46
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Beauchemin is more like Emelin, loves to go for the big hit and make the opponents pay the price to gain the zone, what can put your team in trouble at times when out of position.. Ellis is more conservative and always well positionned on the ice.. As alot of posters here, I see him as a more offensively gifted Gorges, better shot, better passing..
I totally see Ellis as a Gorges/Rivet type, he so reminds me of someone when watching his game. But, a cross of them makes sense, a D guy, with a bit of offence in his game too.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:00 AM
  #47
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post


What?

You have a big smooth skating defenseman with offensive skill but we should convert him to a 3rd line winger? Carbo is that you?
Don't be silly, he said Beaulieu--not Tinordi.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:26 AM
  #48
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 500
Ellis was huge yesterday with several blocked shots, a flawless game, aside from that one pass with 5 minutes or so remaining.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:27 AM
  #49
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 500
Ellis is the better-playing d-Men Habs prospect at the Mem Cup now, which is interesting considering the fact our last two first rounders are also at the Mem Cup.

Ellis is actually quite reminescent of Beauchemin, but could actually end up being a little superior due to his better hockey IQ.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:29 AM
  #50
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I totally see Ellis as a Gorges/Rivet type, he so reminds me of someone when watching his game. But, a cross of them makes sense, a D guy, with a bit of offence in his game too.
Ellis's shot is already better than Rivet's, whose shot was somehow magically attracted to opponent's shinpads.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.