HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NY will be BETTER next year

Old
05-21-2012, 12:38 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
this team needs to stop the trend of letting teams tie series 2-2. taking a 3-1 lead would be solid. like the last games, keep cranking on the PK, and dont come out flat in the 1st half of the game. set a dominant example, win this game and close this thing out ASAP. if this series goes 2-2 well, its anyones series and i do not wanna deal with the uncertainty of whats going to happen. my nerves are killing me

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerZX101 View Post
"Building through the draft" means nothing. Every team has draft picks and every team drafts players they like. We have a ton of young talent, almost a surplus. We're doing our job in the draft. Building through the draft isn't a strategy, it's something you say to placate your fanbase when you don't plan on being active in free agency.

We need another consistent 30-35 goal scorer on this team. We can't count on Dubinsky. Dump his $4 mil contract and sign Parise for $7-8 mil. He's only 27 so giving him a long-term deal isn't an issue.

If we can't get Parise, then I'd explore trading for Nash again. His price should have come down by now. I'd stay away from Semin (who's also a free agent) due to his drop in production.

Parise-Richards-Gaborik would be one of the best lines in all of hockey.
It's the salary cap era, so the draft is a VITAL STRATEGY to stocking up on young assets who can be useful down the pipeline - from juniors, NCAA, AHL all the way to the NHL level - either on this team, or another organization, so that argument is WAAAAY shortsighted. Never should GM Sather make the same mistakes of the post-1994 Rangers in a futile attempt to re-claim the Stanley Cup:
  • August 1995: Petr Nedved & Sergei Zubov to PIT for Luc Robitaille & Ulf Samuelsson
  • 1996 Trade Deadline: Mattias Norstrom, Ian Laperriere, Ray Ferraro, & Nathan Lafayette to LA for Jarri Kurri, Marty McSorley, & Shane Churla

That being said, the Rangers should aggressively pursue Zach Parise in free agency since he is the ideal combination of skill, will, and grit. He'd look great on the top line and add elite backchecking ability - ink him up to an 8 year deal $7-8 mil. per year.

If the Rangers want to go after Rick Nash - without sending an exorbitant package in return - they should try to trade a combination of: Gaborik, Dubinsky, Zuccarello, 1st & 2nd rd. draft picks to make that happen. Kreider, obviously is off-limits! So, what would that leave a possible future Rangers roster in 2012-13?

Parise-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Fedotenko
Prust-Boyle-Rupp

extras: Mitchell, Weller, Newbury, JT Miller, Thomas

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Schultz
Del Zotto-Stralman

extras: Eminger, Bickel, Scott, McIlrath, Valentenko

And finally, THERE IS NO GUARANTEE that the Rangers could be better/worse/stagnant next year. Injuries and other contingencies are inevitable and:

*Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes*

Now that the Rangers are in the Conference Finals, two wins away from the Stanley Cup Final - as the highest seed remaining - it is absolutely imperative that they go for broke and vanquish the NJD & PHX/LA, respectively and earn a hot summer parade down the Canyon of Heroes, because you just don't know if you'll get this opportunity again for a LONG time.

The year 2012 is a good omen; raising a banner titled "New York Rangers: 2011-12 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS" is something prestigious that this team should strive for! It would mean much more than any other random year, just because of the arduous path taken & the synchronicity of the year itself... Let's worry about the 2012-13 Stanley Cup Playoffs when that time comes.

Last edited by Blue Seat Spartan: 05-21-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Forgot that Carl Hagelin existed... my bad!
Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
If we win the cup this season then it's impossible to be better next year. You can't be better then winning the cup.
I'd rather get greedy, win the Cup this year, and then gun for a repeat in 2012-13. THAT'S the way to be better next year. IIRC, at the victory parade for the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers in 1987, head coach Pat Riley laid down the gauntlet and set the mindset for the following season: "We will be champions again (in 1988)."

The 2012 New York Rangers are in a much better position to win, AND THEN REPEAT the Stanley Cup Championship than their 1993-94 predecessors. And you don't need to look far back - the Detroit Red Wings won in 2007-08 and were two goals short in Game 7 of the following year's Cup Final. The salary cap has enforced fiscal & personnel accountability, that the Rangers can no longer spend like drunken sailors on free agents and must cultivate a stable of young players who can either be reliable inserts into the lineup or traded to address roster needs.

I so badly want the Rangers to erase their mediocre reputation and establish themselves as the supreme hockey franchise in the New York City/Tri-State area. It's their birthright as an Original Six team... and we can cram it down the throats of That Team in Nassau County!

Old
05-21-2012, 04:02 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
If we win the cup this season then it's impossible to be better next year. You can't be better then winning the cup.
Wrong, you can win it again

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:04 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Look the future is bright, but right now all I want is to remember year 2012 for the rest of my life the way I'll remember the year 1994 for the rest of my life.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:28 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

We'll be a good team as long as we have Hank.

NYR post-Hank is going to be a cold number of years.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:45 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

claims of "injuries" is a false argument since they affect other teams too.

NY will be better because they are filling in the roster with draft picks, developing players into and through the AHL using similar systems, not making as many poor early round draft picks, building a system of accountability, consistency and a work ethic that other teams will quite likely copy.

As I have said big price free agents are as often Gomez or Redden, than Richards or Gaborik. So I think NY is better off bringing back the core players and locking them up for longer terms.

Hank has been great its true but in my lifetime we ranger fans have seen Beezer, Richter and now Henke. That strikes me as a pretty relevant pattern of developing world class goalies

Yes it is awesome that NY is 2 wins from the finals. If they win it all this year I will celebrate like the rest of you (perhaps even more as I remember the 79 season too)

but what I am really pumped about is that the NYR will be BETTER next season !

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
NYROrtsFan

I remember learning a lesson years ago with one of my other favorite teams that you may never get the chance to win it again.... A million things can happen whether it be injury or whatever, but some things may not come together as well as they should for a win. Then one off year and the team does something stupid like get rid of the coach and everything is changed.

Win the championship when you get your chance... You very well may not get that chance again for a LONG time no matter how good things look on paper.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:01 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
You can always go 16-0. Then you can always get 16 shutouts. Then you can always score 10 goals in 16 games. There's always ways to be better man!

This is what we call "high end problems"

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:02 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post

If the Rangers want to go after Rick Nash - without sending an exorbitant package in return - they should try to trade a combination of: Gaborik, Dubinsky, Zuccarello, 1st & 2nd rd. draft picks to make that happen. Kreider, obviously is off-limits! So, what would that leave a possible future Rangers roster in 2012-13?

Parise-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Prust-Anisimov-Fedotenko
Mitchell-Boyle-Rupp

extras: Weller, Newbury, JT Miller, Thomas

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Schultz
Del Zotto-Stralman

extras: Eminger, Bickel, Scott, McIlrath, Valentenko
Where is Hagelin?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:03 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Win the championship when you get your chance... You very well may not get that chance again for a LONG time no matter how good things look on paper.
Excatly, the Penguins were the #1 favorite to win the cup this year. Cindy's caddy says hello

Just goes to show you that grit and determination counts for something. If the Rangers win it this year it's because they willed themselves to win, everyone one of them

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Dangleberry

There's no doubt this team is going to get better, but who knows what the playoff picture will look like next season.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Where is Hagelin?
Sorry about the typo . I was so engrossed typing a long post that I forgot all about Hagelin in the Rangers' roster. Corrected it just now !

Old
05-21-2012, 09:57 AM
NYR Viper

I think the title of the thread should read;

"NY MUST be better next year"

They were a good, consistent team this season and I love this group of guys, but there are significant areas for improvement.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Team can be better on paper next year, but it doesn't matter. It might never get as far as we have this season, right now.

We are 6 wins away. We need to focus on the here and the now.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:42 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Just remember boys and girls that this team is going to improve next season.

Obviously it would be great if the team skates into the finals, but at this point I am very satisfied with NYs effort so far this season despite what transpires during the Devils series.

I think you can expect great things from the NY Rangers over the next few seasons.

I for one am looking forward to a rising tide of talent
I think most of us said this in 1991 also. Lets just win the Cup this year and not have a 1992 kind of follow up.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We'll be a good team as long as we have Hank.

NYR post-Hank is going to be a cold number of years.
You really just want to find something to ***** about, don't you?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Fleury4ever

If Pittsburgh & Washington can't put a 'lock' on the conference I would only expect the Rangers to compete. There's no way to guarantee 1 seeds and Cups, you have to be willing to take risks when your opportunities come.

Basically, it will be fun to watch, but this could be the closest the Rangers get to the cup if they don't make the right moves at the right time.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
That being said, the Rangers should aggressively pursue Zach Parise in free agency since he is the ideal combination of skill, will, and grit. He'd look great on the top line and add elite backchecking ability - ink him up to an 8 year deal $7-8 mil. per year.

Parise-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Fedotenko
Prust-Boyle-Rupp
Build through the draft, yes. Blow your cap and have to dismantly half your defense, NO. With that, they might not even have enough to resign Henke.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
You really just want to find something to ***** about, don't you?
....No, I was agreeing with the original post. I'm saying our Hall of Fame franchise goaltender is so good that we probably will have a few pretty bad years after he's gone.

I doubt you'll find many people who disagree with that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:23 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
....No, I was agreeing with the original post. I'm saying our Hall of Fame franchise goaltender is so good that we probably will have a few pretty bad years after he's gone.

I doubt you'll find many people who disagree with that.
I'll disagree. You MAY be right but without knowing anything other than Lundqvist being gone you're way too sure that the Rangers are in for lean years once he is.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:27 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
That is a losers mentality. I want to win the whole thing now and it is absolutely possible. Our best chance since 94. LETS GO RANGERS!

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:02 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

now that we know how the team fared against the Devils I think its reasonable to say the NYR had a heck of a season. Losing in the ECF is not a bad accomplishment from where I sit.

We can also look forward to hearing about all the nagging injuries NY was playing with that hadn't been announced. The surgeries and the recovery time too.

MY hope is that next season the team doesn't lean so heavily on the top 4 D in terms of ice time, especially in the 2nd season. Also to be able to roll 4 lines of effective forwards is also a worthy goal.

Must the Rangers be better ? easy to say as a fan I reckon

Looking at the age of the team I would say not only can they be better but they WILL be better next season.

Secondary scoring from the forwards needs to improve if the team is going to really challenge for a run to the finals

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Vitto79

They should improve from here no doubt. They r young

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:46 PM
broadwayblue

VERY young team indeed. They will be better next year. Just need a little more offensive firepower and they can go the distance. Hell of a season though...proud of this team.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote