HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prust suspended 1 game

Old
05-20-2012, 11:42 PM
ltrangerfan

vCash: 500
I can't believe Prust only received a 1 game suspension.

What's the story? Is this the league saying, Let's get the Rangers into the Sc?

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:43 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I do not fully understand your argument. If you are advising that the discipline handed out be in relation to the severity of the action, I agree with you. Using that logic, I would definitely say that Hagelin's elbow to Alfredsson's face was a much worse hit than Prust's elbow to the back of Volchenkov's helmet. Sure, we all know Hagelin did not mean too, and we know that Prust really did mean to tag Volchenkov, but I see very little similarity in the two actions.
Glancing blow to back of helmet, full on blow to face.
What I mean is that the suspension should be based on the severity of the action (as you say), and not on whether and to what extent the player is injured. I felt Prust's motion was worse just because the elbow flared out noticeably. Hags got Alfredsson more square in the face obviously, but the action itself didn't look as bad. It also has to do with how the opposing player is moving; this determines where they will get hit more so than anything, as I don't feel either of these players were aiming for the head. But I thought Prust's elbow looked more reckless.

A 1-game suspension for this play, isolated from others, makes sense. But compared to others, it makes no sense, especially when some plays (Zubrus, Parise, Ovechkin) are not even looked at. Shanahan has obviously failed in his new position and needs to be replaced.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:47 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
There's a pattern. We all know it, every one does. Star players don't get suspended... low and behold star players aren't repeat offenders. No matter what they do, they are always judged as non-repeat offenders. Crosby never slewfooted anyone because he was never suspended for it. The next time he does it is the first time, every time. It's just a tool they created to dole out punishment according to their agenda, not according to the crime.

We should be kind of happy, they are so transparent with their agenda it's obvious and predictable. At least we are positive we are being screwed instead of constantly wondering.
Thank you for your passion. I can't believe that people just post that, Yea man one game's fair, without seeing what's really going on here. There is so much emphasis on Goal scoring as being the gauge of greatness in the sport. Not to me. It's the character, the sacrifice and the extra effort that makes this Sport so appealing to me. I'd rather give a guy a game star for coming back after getting 10 stitches over his eye and coming back the next period and playing than someone like Gaborik, who has been so soft and scoring a goal every five games.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I haven't seen the Parise thing, was it bad?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:49 PM
park rangers
Optimist

I have complained multiple times for the Hagelin/Carkner suspensions plus the non-Ovi suspension...

But I can't find fault with this suspension. Seems to be right given the set standards. And that Parise hit looks like nothing to be honest. Haven't seen the Zubrus hit, but I think they should suspend him because he's a doucher anyway

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:49 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
I haven't seen the Parise thing, was it bad?
YT on the previous page, post 246. I didn't even remember it in the game. That video looked pretty bad, but I think we really need some better views. Too bad none out there, unless CBC replayed it?

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
What I mean is that the suspension should be based on the severity of the action (as you say), and not on whether and to what extent the player is injured. I felt Prust's motion was worse just because the elbow flared out noticeably. Hags got Alfredsson more square in the face obviously, but the action itself didn't look as bad. It also has to do with how the opposing player is moving; this determines where they will get hit more so than anything, as I don't feel either of these players were aiming for the head. But I thought Prust's elbow looked more reckless.

A 1-game suspension for this play, isolated from others, makes sense. But compared to others, it makes no sense, especially when some plays (Zubrus, Parise, Ovechkin) are not even looked at. Shanahan has obviously failed in his new position and needs to be replaced.
Yeah, except that justice never works that way. Extreme example, which is a greater punishment: attempted murder or murder in the 1st? Lower example, which gets greater punishment: possession with the intent to distribute or actually getting caught selling drugs? Being successful in your endeavor engenders a greater punishment in nearly all justice systems. The NHL's shouldn't be any different.

Last edited by Tawnos: 05-21-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
YT on the previous page, post 246. I didn't even remember it in the game. That video looked pretty bad, but I think we really need some better views. Too bad none out there, unless CBC replayed it?
Since NBC is run by the biggest toolbags in the world, and they CONSISTENTLY highlight dirty plays for ads for the next game, they decided to shows a close up highlight of that hit for their ad for Game 4. Basically, DZ is in a vulnerable position, as he's bent forward a little bit. Then, Parise jumps up, and kind of lands his elbow to the back of DZ's head. Definitely some elbow-head contact, as I paused my DVR to make sure.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:01 AM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
I have complained multiple times for the Hagelin/Carkner suspensions plus the non-Ovi suspension...

But I can't find fault with this suspension. Seems to be right given the set standards. And that Parise hit looks like nothing to be honest. Haven't seen the Zubrus hit, but I think they should suspend him because he's a doucher anyway
Parise's hit looks like nothing. Maybe because we had to rely on people at home, going back over there DVR, and videoing the long distant images off there DVR and uploading it on Youtube, because Doc said that Parise barreled into Del Soto. We know he saw it and we still never saw a close up replay, like the 900 replays of the Prust hit. I'd have no problem with the one game for Prust. At least give me a replay on Parise.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:44 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The Prust hit happened in framed TV action while the other two hits were periphal. That's why Prust gets all of the attention. Watching the reverse angle tape, it supports Prust contention that he was trying to get out of the way. Just another awful call by Shanahan, who is finished after the playoffs under any circumstances.

I have no idea why the referees miss all of these physical plays but seem to get every hook right. It seems to me they are focused at the waistline rather than watching the entire of the play. The pick on Girardi by Zajac on Kovalchuk's goal in game 2 was a brutal missed call. The two referee system and the robotic like way games are called has taken the referees feel away from the game. That's too bad because good referees knew how to manage games.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:45 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
Thought this thread was just sour grapes, but I just saw another look at it. Definitely suspendable. How was nothing called on this:

this is a better view of the parise hit on del zotto. definitely a questionable hit. seemed worse than the prust hit. gets a direct elbow into mdz's head as a result of leaving his feet and wraps his arms around mdz so that he can't protect himself. (if you don't think it hits the head watch his head go down and then up when the arm leaves)

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:52 AM
gabevh3

Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
I don't recall many players being suspended for headhunting a ranger since bettman entered the league ..I remember the beuk career ender. Anyone have an answer to this? Of course its just coincidence lol shhhh

gabevh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:57 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

haven't seen this video posted here yet... another elbow that game that looks worse(as bad as) than the prust hit.

Old
05-21-2012, 06:51 AM
darko

Shanahan got it right.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabevh3 View Post
I don't recall many players being suspended for headhunting a ranger since bettman entered the league ..I remember the beuk career ender. Anyone have an answer to this? Of course its just coincidence lol shhhh

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:20 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I don't know if anybody mentioned it, but isn't it odd that two refs missed it? They miss a ton of calls, big ones too.

In the NFL, any ref can call a penalty. I have no idea why linesmen can't do the same in the NHL

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I don't know if anybody mentioned it, but isn't it odd that two refs missed it? They miss a ton of calls, big ones too.

In the NFL, any ref can call a penalty. I have no idea why linesmen can't do the same in the NHL
I wholeheartedly agree. all officials should be able to call penalties. especially dangerous ones. if the puck isn't anywhere near your line you're watching the play anyway. just makes a lot more sense to have all 4 doing it.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:00 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post

haven't seen this video posted here yet... another elbow that game that looks worse(as bad as) than the prust hit.
first time i saw the replay.. agreed, if prust's got looked at, this shoudlve also

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

guess we can just take solace in the fact that he only got one game. tough that it's game 4, but w/e.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

I imagine they limit it to two penalty callers to avoid the bystander effect.

The way the rulebook is written right now, linesman can only advise referees on double-minors, majors and misconducts. If they see a minor, their lips have to remain sealed.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:13 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post

The way the rulebook is written right now, linesman can only advise referees on double-minors, majors and misconducts. If they see a minor, their lips have to remain sealed.
I know that. But a headshot isn't a minor penalty unless is roughing with a gloved hand. When was the last time an elbow to the back of the head was called a minor?

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post

as in "i wont blow the whistle because if it was really a penalty the guy close to it would've called it" or "idk if that was really a penalty or not. the back will call it if it was."??

Old
05-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Levitate

Can I just say, while I'm fine with Prust getting one game, that it really upsets me the way Volchenkov turned his back to Prust in that situation? To some degree he's lucky the timing on that wasn't different cause he could have ended up getting drilled into the boards from behind by a player who couldn't stop in time.

That was a bad, reckless play by Volchenkov IMO. Doesn't mean Prust doesn't deserve the suspension for the elbow, but good god

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:21 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I've been away all weekend (bachelor party, thankful to be alive) but I friggin love the comments by Torts, Prust, and Staal.

This is absolutely a case where selling the play got the required call. And the pick play to negate the shot blocking has had me throwing the remote all series.

05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
first time i saw the replay.. agreed, if prust's got looked at, this shoudlve also
Yeah, I didn't recall seeing this during the game but it looks like based off the replay that Zubrus came in and got his elbow up right into Stralman's face. The thing with both the Prust and Zubrus elbows is that neither time was the elbow tucked but their arms went out of the way to make contact. The fact that Volchenkov stayed down after the Prust hit played a big role in the suspension IMO.