Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 01:06 PM
JSavoire

vCash: 500
Does anyone honestly think a Gemel Smith would be on the trading block cause I definitely don't think so. But Athaniasou I'm dead certain wants out since he's a solod enough player to get much better ice elsewhere and being healthied must have been hard to handle especially in the Playoffs.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I was saying that even if Rieder and Faksa (explosive forwards) come back that we still need another top scoring forward (explosive).
Let's not forget about someone already on the roster but easily forgotten. I know he's had a tough year but even at that Matia was on pace for approx 27 goals.
When he first got back from his concussion then his initial shoulder injury he was having a tough go scoring goals so that "on pace" total really surprised me. (24 games = 9 goals).
IMHO if healthy MM could be good for 35+/- goals.
Having Faksa, Rieder and MM in the line-up is a real good start then if Crescenzi comes back he should be good for an additional 10 goals above his 24 from last season.
But players like Pederson, Ming and Lorentz need to vastly improve.
Not sure if a Lesway or a Francisco has a future with this team going forward and basically have zero trade value.
But most of the success of this team will depend on either Murphy and Gibson returning. If one returns then the
Rangers should be fine....if both, it will make it really interesting!!

Old
05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Let's not forget about someone already on the roster but easily forgotten. I know he's had a tough year but even at that Matia was on pace for approx 27 goals.
When he first got back from his concussion then his initial shoulder injury he was having a tough go scoring goals so that "on pace" total really surprised me. (24 games = 9 goals).
Having Faksa, Rieder and MM in the line-up is a real good start then if Crescenzi comes back he should be good for an additional 10 goals above his 24 from last season.
Not sure if a Lesway or a Francisco has a future with this team going forward and basically have zero trade value.
But most of the success of this team will depend on either Murphy and Gibson returning. If one returns then the
I'm all done with the Francisco experiment, and I hope Spott is too. He just doesn't seem to give a damn out on the ice, and working hard 20 minutes of the entire season is not acceptable. The kid has skill, but skill alone isn't going to take him anywhere.

Lesway works his butt off, but doesn't have the skill level. I love the kid, but I can see better options for that roster spot. As a 4th line energy player, he's fine.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I'm all done with the Francisco experiment, and I hope Spott is too. He just doesn't seem to give a damn out on the ice, and working hard 20 minutes of the entire season is not acceptable. The kid has skill, but skill alone isn't going to take him anywhere.

Lesway works his butt off, but doesn't have the skill level. I love the kid, but I can see better options for that roster spot. As a 4th line energy player, he's fine.
I'm with you on Francisco. Bottom line is the kid has no heart and plays afraid. Nothing drove me mad more than watching him charge in on the forecheck, spray the d-man with snow, then gently brush up against him and skate off confident that he fooled the coaching staff yet again that he put a body check on the guy!!! I don't care what Spott gave up to get him (Maxwell). Steve, the experiment is over!! This deal between you and Sarnia was a wash. Enough already.

Also, while we are on the topic of dead experiments, same goes for Grant too!! Spott needs to admit using a 3rd rounder on this guy was a mistake and move on (even though Stefan Noesen was still on the board ). I'll never forget draft day that year reading the posts on RangersRush from Lone Ranger during the draft basically screaming at Spott to take Noesen. That's a day Spott should have been logged onto that forum!!

Grant played the way Charlie Girl said Lesway did but without any results. And he had lots of opportunities too. Spott even tried him on the point on the PP! BUT, he's a year older so IMO, there isn't any room on this roster for this type of player at his age. I would give Lesway a shot to make this team next year as he is a year younger - but I'm not optimistic he'll make the cut - especially with Meighan, Sterk, and Pederson ahead of him.

Last edited by EvenSteven: 05-10-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I don't mind Grant as a 13th forward, but I agree that it was a total waste of a 3rd rounder. In addition to the returnees, there are a couple of very promising rookies coming into the fold, so I doubt there's a spot for him.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:01 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:

I agree with you. The way I see it at the top 2 lines would be the following in any combination.

Rieder/Faksa/Thomson
??/Marcantouni/Crescenzi

Where you have Pedersen, Lorentz, and Ming doing spot fill in with injuries/WJC...etc. But we really need clear the log jam at the bottom 2 lines because we need to get Schmalz and Llewelyn (sp?) playing time and experience as well as who ever may surprise and crack the roster.

I don't see Grant, Lesway and Francisco with a spot on this team come Fall. I would rather see someone like Clampitt get the opportunity.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I'm with you on Francisco. Bottom line is the kid has no heart and plays afraid. Nothing drove me mad more than watching him charge in on the forecheck, spray the d-man with snow, then gently brush up against him and skate off confident that he fooled the coaching staff yet again that he put a body check on the guy!!! I don't care what Spott gave up to get him (Maxwell). Steve, the experiment is over!! This deal between you and Sarnia was a wash. Enough already.

Also, while we are on the topic of dead experiments, same goes for Grant too!! Spott needs to admit using a 3rd rounder on this guy was a mistake and move on (even though Stefan Noesen was still on the board ). I'll never forget draft day that year reading the posts on RangersRush from Lone Ranger during the draft basically screaming at Spott to take Noesen. That's a day Spott should have been logged onto that forum!!

I was more than willing to give Francisco a very very long leash due to the fact that many scouts had him as a possible NHL 1st round draft pick (stop laffing...look it up!!) but now there's not an inch left on the leash.
I also remember that fateful draft day with Noesen available. I'm still not sold on Pederson either, his hands are super but his skating is so sub-par that it doesn't allow him to get the open spots to use them!

Old
05-11-2012, 06:12 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
I'm still not sold on Pederson either, his hands are super but his skating is so sub-par that it doesn't allow him to get the open spots to use them!
I'm not sold on him either. He's a player, but no way is he a first rounder like this team has had recently (Marcantuoni, Murphy, Skinner, Fowler, Kadri. 5 years, 5 blue chippers). I keep joking that he's the next Mike Pelech (trade Pederson this year for a Halischuk clone and I'm happy!!) but in reality, he may be another Thomson. That being the case, more will be looked for from him this year but, like Thomson, his value likely won't come around until his 3rd season.

He's a 2nd rounder masquerading as a 1st rounder right now. That's not his fault. Spott chose to take him where he did because he was high on him and since we didn't have a 2nd round pick that year, Spott used a 1st on him because he probably wouldn't have been around in the 3rd round.

The jury is still out. I'm sure I won't be the only one who'll be keeping an eye on the 7 or 8 guys taken after him in the draft to see how they fare!

Old
05-11-2012, 06:40 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I agree with you. The way I see it at the top 2 lines would be the following in any combination.

Rieder/Faksa/Thomson
??/Marcantouni/Crescenzi

Where you have Pedersen, Lorentz, and Ming doing spot fill in with injuries/WJC...etc. But we really need clear the log jam at the bottom 2 lines because we need to get Schmalz and Llewelyn (sp?) playing time and experience as well as who ever may surprise and crack the roster.

I don't see Grant, Lesway and Francisco with a spot on this team come Fall. I would rather see someone like Clampitt get the opportunity.

This is the way I see our top three lines if Spott does decide to "go for it" this year:

Thomson / Marcantuoni / Rieder

Lorentz / Faksa / Ming

Pederson / Crescenzi / Acquired OAer

Nobody has more to prove next year in the OHL than MM. Remember, at the time he was drafted, he was labeled the best forward available in the draft.
There's a lot of question marks surrounding him now. Is he injury prone? With 2 concussions in a little over a month, is he now a "concussion guy"? There's no doubt he has lots of flash and dash but there hasn't been much finish. Can he put big time points on the board consistantly?

MM and Rieder have played well together in the past so I figure we could drop him right into Catenacci's spot on the top line and I'd expect that that line wouldn't, shouldn't miss a beat.

I'd start the year out with that Faksa line together again and see if they can't rediscover the magic that they had for much of last year. I'm hoping they do but if they don't, then one or both of the wingers could be moved out of town or elsewhere on the roster to make room for incoming help.

We have two OA spots open provided AC returns and Spott needs to deal for a high end forward and I'd have that guys penciled in beside AC. Pederson would get a shot on this line as his play in the playoffs did improve to the point where he could at least keep up with AC and Randell most of the time. This is another guy who, if this line doesn't click, would be moved out of town or elsewhere on the roster to make way for incoming help.

The 4th line would be made up of a combination of Sterk, Meighan, Schmalz and Llewellyn.

If Spott is going to "go for it" then he'll have to make the tough deals which will mean parting with quality youth to get quality veteran help. That means that guys like Pederson, McEneny, Gilbert, - even Schmalz, could find themselves involved in deals to make this team a top contender.

I don't have Francisco, Grant, Lesway or Clampitt on this team next year. But if Spott deals some of the quality youth mentioned above, one or two of these guys may be needed to fill out the roster.

I haven't included guys like ZAR, Bailey, Peca, etc as they aren't signed here but if they do, things could get interesting in the bottom half of the lineup.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I haven't included guys like ZAR, Bailey, Peca, etc as they aren't signed here but if they do, things could get interesting in the bottom half of the lineup.
I wouldn't count on Peca showing up or ZAR even being invited (wasn't impressed with him last year and it will cost Spott another 3 rd pick) but keep on hearing some rumblings that Bailey remains a strong possibility. The one player from the 2011 draft class that I was impressed with last year but haven't found any info on him this season is Adan Abu-Ali who IMHO was a Mike Duco clone in stature and tenacity on the ice.
It will be interesting to see what other players from the 2011 draft will be attending. If I recall there was three goalies drafted with Greenwood(?) being very highly thought of
by various scouting services. (other goalies was Moylan 8th round and Bogart in the 15th). Greenfield is an American who still hasn't committed to the NCAA, I know this just creates more of a logjam in net but it's a good problem to have if Spott can move them for something else. The one other forward that caught my eye was Stephen Cooney from Northern Ontario who had good offensive numbers and is (was?) 6-3 195 lbs and growing.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 05-14-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 04:01 PM
BenchedGuy

Does anyone have a roster of the rookie camp invites this weekend? Didnt see it posted on the Rangers website.

Old
05-20-2012, 06:44 PM
EvenSteven

My two cents worth after having watched only the Sunday morning blue/white game:

Players who played here last year who were here (this morning): Pederson, Gilbert, McEneny, Moylan, and Midensky.

No shows from this year's draft (at least this morning): MacInnis, Evans, Poletek, Znaczko, Magyer,

Thoughts:

-Abu-Ali was quick and banged around a lot. Looks like je put on some beef since last year.

-I thought Cam Nicoll was the fastest player on the ice. Small though but had one shift (I think on the PK) where he looked as quick as Yves Bastien.

- Schmalz and Llewellyn have decent size and skate well and have good hands. With these two guys around, our future looks bright.

-Greenfield looked good in net. I was impressed by a couple nice passes right on the stick of teammates at the far blueline. Steve Mason type stuff.

-Midensky looked better than I expected. Tried to play in physical attempting many hip checks along the boards. He and Gilbert were on the points for an entire PP and looked like vets.

-Blasby, I liked his size, scored a nice one on Moylan who was pretty good this morning.

- McEneny looked like a tank out there. He looks as filled out as a 19-20 year old.

- I think Eden will be a nice player. Looked solid and smooth back there. Set up a nice goal in the third period and had the highlight of the day with his shootout goal. Pulled the puck back between his legs and went top shelf shooting from behind his leg. Pavel Bure like. Impressive coming from a d-man!

- Pederson looked best controlling the puck in the corners. His boardwork was dominant. But, both Schmalz and Llewellyn are already ahead of him in terms of skating and hands. Actually, I think it is telling that Pederson is even at this camp. I don't remember the last time a 1st rounder from the previous year played at this camp. Usually, that guy is considered "above" this camp, if you will.

- Nobody stood out as far as "Wow" factor goes - not the way Marcantuoni and Murphy did in years past.

- After having seen guys like McEneny, Gilbert, Midensky, and Eden this morning, i'm much more confident in the quality of our depth on the back end. It will bode well once Spott kicks into his "going for it" mode.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:04 AM
BenchedGuy

Thanks for update. I wasnt able to see camp this year. Looking forward to seeing Matt and Darby at main camp this fall. Hopefully Darby's contract got finalized this weekend when he was up here.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:36 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Thanks for the report, EvenSteven!

BenchedGuy, Darby did sign his deal - he tweeted about being happy he's officially a Ranger. I can't remember the last time a kid was THIS excited to be a Ranger - that kind of attitude is infectious and awesome to have around.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Actually, I think it is telling that Pederson is even at this camp. I don't remember the last time a 1st rounder from the previous year played at this camp.
IIRC from the commentary last year, Marcantuoni attended this camp in 2011.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
BenchedGuy, Darby did sign his deal - he tweeted about being happy he's officially a Ranger. I can't remember the last time a kid was THIS excited to be a Ranger - that kind of attitude is infectious and awesome to have around.
Great to hear. Did see that though, has anything been officially announced yet?

Old
06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Kitchener Rangers Head Coach and General Manager Steve Spott announced that the team has completed a trade with the Ottawa 67's.

In the deal the Rangers receive Ottawa's eighth round pick in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection in exchange for the Rangers' first round pick (54th overall) in the 2012 CHL Import Draft.
I guess that means we are anticipating both Faksa and Rieder back this year with this move.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
SocksNjocks
Rookie User

I heard there was an Italian flag hanging over the Aud today for euro cup.
Lots of italians on that team. Catenacci, iafrate, fanelli, genovese,
Francisco, palazesse, Marcantuoni, And Crescenzi leading the charge

Last edited by Majik1987: 06-19-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: offensive
Old
06-21-2012, 03:30 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocksNjocks View Post
I heard there was an Italian flag hanging over the Aud today for euro cup.
Francisco, palazesse, Marcantuoni, And Crescenzi leading the charge
Considering none of those kids are local, I find that pretty hard to believe. Also, Catenacci has graduated, and hopefully Francisco has moved along.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:23 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Head Coach and General Manager Steve Spott announced today that the Kitchener Rangers have completed a trade with the Peterborough Petes. In the deal, Kitchener sends left winger Zach Lorentz and the Rangers' second-round draft picks in the 2014 and 2016 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selections to Peterborough in exchange for forward Matt Puempel.
Sad to see Lorentz go. Definitely excited to see Puempel at the Aud though!!

Last edited by BenchedGuy: 06-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Spott paid a ton for a kid who requested a trade and only to Kitchener.

I'm excited to see Puempel in Kitchener, but I'm with you -- I really like Lorentz. Based on what Spott gave up, I'm hoping Puempel sets the league on fire this year!

Old
06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Torgo

Count me in as one who is sad to see Lorentz go; local product with a good work ethic and a decent scoring ability. I felt like he really started to emerge as the season went on and could break out next year. I can't be the only one that finds it somewhat annoying that we rarely ever have a second round pick...but I guess we draft pretty well without them.

This will give us enough high quality skill players to give us two lines that should be able to score efficiently though, which i feel may have ben our weak spot as the playoffs went on last year.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

To be honest it doesn't seem like much for a player who could score 50 goals next season.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:21 PM
highstickside

"I heard there was an Italian flag hanging over the Aud today for euro cup.
Francisco, palazesse, Marcantuoni, And Crescenzi leading the charge"

Francisco's not Italian...

Old
06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
To be honest it doesn't seem like much for a player who could score 50 goals next season.
Yep. Great trade. Puemple is worth far, far more but the fact he would only come here meant he went cheap, relatively speaking.

I think a couple of teams who think they are the only OHL destinations got a nice little kick in the pants today. First Dansk goes to Erie. The Otters totally disregarding the fact that the Knights and Spits had Dansk jerseys hanging in their dressing rooms already and then Puemple is traded to Kitchener, the ONLY team he would report to.

For what it's worth this Kitchener team is for real and they're not done yet.

Closed Thread