HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Question (Goal Review)

Old
05-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Potato Juice

vCash: 500
Question (Goal Review)

The following thing popped into my mind after seeing Shane Doan's second goal in the LA - Phoenix game.

The goal was allowed after they reviewed the play. But they only reviewed it once play stopped.

What would have happened if either LA or Phoenix would have scored before play was stopped? Would both goals count? Or only the second? Or only the first?

Was only wondering... hope someone can help out

Last edited by slocal: 05-21-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added to title
Potato Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:23 AM
TrueBlue42

Send a message via ICQ to TrueBlue42 Send a message via AIM to TrueBlue42 Send a message via MSN to TrueBlue42 Send a message via Skype™ to TrueBlue42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Juice View Post
The following thing popped into my mind after seeing Shane Doan's second goal in the LA - Phoenix game.

The goal was allowed after they reviewed the play. But they only reviewed it once play stopped.

What would have happened if either LA or Phoenix would have scored before play was stopped? Would both goals count? Or only the second? Or only the first?

From the rulebook (78.5 Disallowed goals)

Quote:
(vii) When video review confirms the scoring of a goal at one end of the ice, any goal scored at the other end on the same play must be disallowed.
*EDIT -- it's one goal per stoppage of play, a bit further down in the rule book (78.6 p3)

Quote:
Only one goal can be awarded at any stoppage of play. If the apparent goal was scored by Team A, and is subsequently confirmed as a goal by the Video Goal Judge, any goal scored by Team B during the period of time between the apparent goal By Team A and the stoppage of play (Team B’s goal), the Team B goal would not be awarded. However, if the apparent goal by Team A is deemed to have entered the goal, albeit illegally (i.e. distinct kicking motion), the goal shall be disallowed by the Video Goal Judge and since the play should have stopped for this disallowed goal, no goal can be awarded to Team B on the same play. The clock (including penalty time clocks, if applicable) must be re-set to the time of the disallowed Team A goal and play resumed.

TrueBlue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

They would only count Phoenix's first goal and set time back to when that goal was scored.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3133
The second goal would only count if Phoenix's doesn't count. If Phoenix's goal counts, the clock goes back to the time of the Phoenix goal. The same thing would happen if Phoenix scores again.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MyersMagic57*

Quote:

Phoenix goal would count and the next goal would not. It would be a weird situation if this happened, but I do recall earlier in the season the Sabres scored and it was a full minute before the play stopped and they reviewed that we scored. They ended up having to reset the clock a full minute

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Potato Juice

Ah that makes sense, thanks a lot guys!
Quite surprised by the time rule though, that's pretty well thought out.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:27 AM
KCisTall

Is there any instances where a good goal has been waved off after an earlier questionable is made a good goal?

I'm racking my brain and I can't come up with anything.

KCisTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:27 AM
TrueBlue42

Send a message via ICQ to TrueBlue42 Send a message via AIM to TrueBlue42 Send a message via MSN to TrueBlue42 Send a message via Skype™ to TrueBlue42
Quote:
I would have never known myself to look there, but last night at about 2am I was really really bored and read the rule book...so it was fresh in the mind where to look.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
How come? It makes perfect sense since the faceoff is supposed to be in the center after every goal.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Potato Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
How come? It makes perfect sense since the faceoff is supposed to be in the center after every goal.
I didn't even think about the time, I just assumed they continued playing after awarding the goal accordingly without turning back the clock.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
I didn't even think about the time, I just assumed they continued playing after awarding the goal accordingly without turning back the clock.
But the continued play would have never happened if the referee would have instantly called it a goal. It would be unfair to let some plays continue and call others dead.

Last edited by Kane One: 05-21-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old
05-21-2012, 11:12 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
I think only time this rule would get crazy, would be on a crazy situation such as;

5 minutes left in a game team a is up 2 - 1, team a scores a goal, that is not called on the ice with 4:45 to play.

Play does not stop till 5 seconds to go. Goal is reviewed and counts, and as per the rule, the time goes back to 4:45.

Team B then proceeds to score 2 goals within that 4:45 and wins in ot.

This situation is so far fetched I see the odds of it happening slim to none, but would be one crazy ending

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
I think only time this rule would get crazy, would be on a crazy situation such as;

5 minutes left in a game team a is up 2 - 1, team a scores a goal, that is not called on the ice with 4:45 to play.

Play does not stop till 5 seconds to go. Goal is reviewed and counts, and as per the rule, the time goes back to 4:45.

This situation is so far fetched I see the odds of it happening slim to none, but would be one crazy ending
Haha, man, that would suck for team A.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:19 AM
TrueBlue42

Quote:

That would have me second guessing LSD in my water supply, and would certainly lead to a large scale riot if it had any playoff implications.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:

Better yet, the final buzzer sounds (and it's the SCF) and they think they won the cup and start celebrating, then realize they have to continue playing

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Super Schenn Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCisTall View Post
Is there any instances where a good goal has been waved off after an earlier questionable is made a good goal?

I'm racking my brain and I can't come up with anything.
If you search YouTube there is a clip of a game between SJ-LA where LA "scored" and then before the next whistle for them to review it SJ scored at the other end. The LA goal counted and needless to say HP Pavillion was not happy.

Super Schenn Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Crosbyfan

How about : they kick the puck in (barely only seen later on video)with 4:45 left, kill the final 4:45 and without possession in the final 30 seconds commit two penalties, only to realize they must replay the final 4:45 only up one Goal and start off killing a 5 on 3.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote