HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your taste in music?

Old
03-29-2011, 10:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Hip Hop is starting to slip into a new phase, something similar to the 60's with rock where there is a slight more social consciousness.

A term I never thought I'd hear in a rap song 'Unhappy with the riches/cause you piss poor morally'

Hip hop is getting older and they are realizing there is more to life that *****es, ho's, cash, cars, etc

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:10 AM
cocacola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Hip Hop is starting to slip into a new phase, something similar to the 60's with rock where there is a slight more social consciousness.

A term I never thought I'd hear in a rap song 'Unhappy with the riches/cause you piss poor morally'

Hip hop is getting older and they are realizing there is more to life that *****es, ho's, cash, cars, etc
You are right... but we still got hope... new comers like B.O.B, Kid Cudi and lupe fiasco... and of course we still got eminem,nas,tech n9ne and immortal technique...

But i do agree with you, hip hop has changed alot

cocacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:11 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I'm open to anything that is sincere and heartfelt. Although, I rarely find the occasion where I can sit and listen to classical music. I also loathe new country, pop music, and pop rock.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:03 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

To be fair a lot of hip hop has had social consciousness, it just didn't get airplay.

I would be more than happy to list several such artists.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Bdp.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Nitrous Mafia

silent friction is my most favoritest band of all time.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:03 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Tons of different genres. But a lot of Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, The Band, The String Cheese Incident, Phish....

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Tons of different genres. But a lot of Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, The Band, The String Cheese Incident, Phish....
Nice!

You gonna go to Super Ball IX??

Old
04-02-2011, 12:32 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
Nice!

You gonna go to Super Ball IX??
Getting my ticket on the 4th when they go on sale

You?

Old
04-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Yup, we all decided to skip Bonnaroo and do this instead.

I've got Cincy pavs in hand and might do Charlotte>Raleigh>Portsmith. SB and Cincy are the only ones that are for sure.

Old
04-02-2011, 01:00 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Yup, we all decided to skip Bonnaroo and do this instead.

I've got Cincy pavs in hand and might do Charlotte>Raleigh>Portsmith. SB and Cincy are the only ones that are for sure.
Sounds like a nice summer you got lined up. Im still waiting on the 2nd leg of the tour to come out, to make my decisions,. Hoping for a couple nights at Red Rocks. Pretty bold move skipping Roo. But i cant miss Buffalo Springfield, Neil Young, or Greg Allman they wont be playing music much longer so i have to see them atleast once.

Old
04-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Sounds like a nice summer you got lined up. Im still waiting on the 2nd leg of the tour to come out, to make my decisions,. Hoping for a couple nights at Red Rocks. Pretty bold move skipping Roo. But i cant miss Buffalo Springfield, Neil Young, or Greg Allman they wont be playing music much longer so i have to see them atleast once.
Not as much as I'd like to hit up. Me and my buddy did 12 shows on first leg last summer. Hartford > Alpharetta.

I hear ya but I Just can't take that scene anymore. I've been going since '03 and the vibes and lineup have taken a nosedive in the last few years.

Here are some rumored 2nd leg dates that have been floating around:

August 5 Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA
August 6 Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA
August 8 Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA [with Dan Deacon and Grupo Fantasma]
August 9 Rainbow Lagoon Park, Long Beach, CA
August 10 Rainbow Lagoon Park, Long Beach, CA
August 12 The Presidio, San Francisco, CA
August 13 Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival, San Francisco, CA
August 15 Pine Mountain Amphitheater, Flagstaff, AZ
August 17 Osage Creek Amphitheater, Siloam Springs, AR
August 19 Soo Pass Ranch, Detroit Lakes, MN
August 20 Soo Pass Ranch, Detroit Lakes, MN
August 22 UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL
August 23 UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL
August 24 UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL
August 26 Dave Matthews Band Caravan, New York, NY
August 27 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
August 28 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
August 29 Champlain Valley Exposition, Essex Junction, VT
September 2 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
September 3 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
September 4 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

Old
04-02-2011, 01:42 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Not as much as I'd like to hit up. Me and my buddy did 12 shows on first leg last summer. Hartford > Alpharetta.

I hear ya but I Just can't take that scene anymore. I've been going since '03 and the vibes and lineup have taken a nosedive in the last few years.

Here are some rumored 2nd leg dates that have been floating around:

August 5 Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA
August 6 Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA
August 8 Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA [with Dan Deacon and Grupo Fantasma]
August 9 Rainbow Lagoon Park, Long Beach, CA
August 10 Rainbow Lagoon Park, Long Beach, CA
August 12 The Presidio, San Francisco, CA
August 13 Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival, San Francisco, CA
August 15 Pine Mountain Amphitheater, Flagstaff, AZ
August 17 Osage Creek Amphitheater, Siloam Springs, AR
August 19 Soo Pass Ranch, Detroit Lakes, MN
August 20 Soo Pass Ranch, Detroit Lakes, MN
August 22 UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL
August 23 UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL
August 24 UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL
August 26 Dave Matthews Band Caravan, New York, NY
August 27 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
August 28 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
August 29 Champlain Valley Exposition, Essex Junction, VT
September 2 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
September 3 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
September 4 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

Understandable, Roo has definitely only gotten worse and worse, thats why Im gunna try and make it to Wakarusa for that low key festival. Appreciate those dates, Dick's Park is close to my house and a good venue, wouldnt mind that one at all.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Finnpin

I've been listening to this song for few times...I like it...the singer is Pekka Rinne's girlfriend:

Finnpin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:00 PM
klt2001

I'm a channel surfer when it comes to radio. I change the station until I find something I like. I pretty much listen to everything. Pop, rock, country, rap, etc. Not big on classical music or opera though even though I don't mind some of it. Generally listen to more contemporary or popular music though.

klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
I'll listen to just about anything at least once.
I'm more or less the same way, though a lot of the stuff that gets play in nightclubs and on contemporary FM radio stations doesn't really do much for me.

I think working in radio and sitting down with editing equipment has given me a greater respect for electronic music and the thought processes that go into meshing samples together into a seamless piece, something many rappers seem to have a very tough time doing consistently. (I can't listen to Kanye's "Champion" because "Kid Charlemagne" is my favorite Steely Dan song.)

I feel like I've gotten to the point where my musical tastes aren't really going to take anymore wild turns. What's appealing most likely will stay that way, and the stuff that isn't won't suddenly find itself in my library all of a sudden. But I'm into a fairly diverse range of stuff. You can't live in Appalachia and not be into bluegrass, so I've got a little of that lying around, but not as much as I would like to. Just a couple of early Dillards records. I've got some older country - early George Jones, Roger Miller (if you can really call some of his stuff "country"), Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard - but I tend to stay away from newer stuff. My rule of thumb is to avoid any mainstream country released after about 1995, and I tend to gravitate toward more Western stuff because I like that arid sound.

Indeed, a lot of the stuff I listen to comes from my parents' days. I've got a little Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, some Ray Charles, a ton of British stuff (The Kinks, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Elton John, The Beatles, the list goes on) and a little of the wide sampling of American stuff from that time, some of it more radio-friendly (Hendrix, CCR, Steve Miller Band) and some of it, well, not (Warren Zevon, Frank Zappa).

I more or less skipped the 80s, though. A couple of good metal bands from that time (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, although their best stuff was more in the late 70s and culminated with British Steel in 1980), plus Van Halen, but not really much else to my liking. Maybe a little new wave stuff, but I consider that more late 70s. I'm pretty light on the 90s, too - grunge and Britrock are both hit-or-miss with me, but I do love Pavement (and, by extension, Beck).

From the last 15 years or so, I'm really choosy. I walk a very fine line with modern metal; Mastodon's "Crack The Skye" was awesome, but most of their other stuff has been almost instantly off-putting. I'm into a lot of the indie stuff, like Fleet Foxes, M Ward, The Shins, Vampire Weekend, and Deerhunter, but there are a lot of sound-alike acts that don't pull off the aesthetic very well. I still listen to stuff from across the pond, like Franz Ferdinand and The Libertines, and I'm always seeking out good British bands. I most definitely dig on the garage sound of acts like The White Stripes, The Black Keys, and The Hives (though the latter two have started to move away from that sound, and the former broke up). A little electronic stuff is all right every now and then, but I mainly stick to Daft Punk's early material when I need a techno fix. Then there's Radiohead, a band I used to hate passionately for making difficult music and have come to embrace wholeheartedly for making difficult music. My favorite band of the last decade, though, has to be LCD Soundsystem. James Murphy is one of the few active songwriters that can go from silly and irreverent to emotional and serious in the gap between songs and pull it all off, and he does it better than the Thom Yorke or Ezra Koenig.

Lately, though, I've been on a huge jazz kick. Lots of Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie, some Arturo Sandoval, and a little big band jazz like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. Also a dash of Latin music, like Pérez Prado and Tito Puente. Also some stuff from the golden age of blues, like Magic Sam and Muddy Waters. I'm putting together some stuff for a lady friend who wants to broaden her musical horizons, so I'm trying to hit the earliest stuff first, and even though most of the better blues acts were electric, it's the same structure and style of music as it was between the World Wars.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
NoNecksCurse

country all day for me. rap ain't cutting it. thats straight **** music imo

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:07 PM
PredsFanFromla

i listen to mostly country,absolutely hate rap.don't how you can call rap music

PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I like good rap. I like some country not a lot but some. I like what I guess is metal, really liking Sick Puppies right now, I like Staind, Seether, Nine Inch Nails, Linkin Park, that style music probably the most, don't know what it's considered.

right now, in Rap, I really like Yelawolf. 2 reasons. 1, I like that fast style rap, 2 he's and Antioch High School boy, and my brother-in-law's good friend.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Bongo

I used to hate opera. Then I had a girlfriend that liked to play it during....you know. Now I get woozy every time I hear the opening to Carmen. I suppose if I were to meet another woman who felt the same way about Rap, I imagine the results would be the same.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of music from Mali. It's amazing how much those guys play and sound like North Mississippi hill country blues.

Right now I'm listening to Van Morrison.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Lately, I've been listening to a lot of music from Mali. It's amazing how much those guys play and sound like North Mississippi hill country blues.
Is it? That's where a lot of the fundamental elements of the blues came from.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I pretty much listen to anything...Literally...Not too wild on a lot of the modern country (read Lady Antebellum/Rascal Flats/Etc.) but I love old country (Hank Sr./Johnny Cash/Bob Wills/Flatt & Scruggs/Bill Monroe). Electronic's my primary listen.... Krafty Kuts/Hybrid/Bloody Beetroots/Knife Party/Shiloh/John Digweed/Leftfield/Underworld type stuff.

I do like Hip Hop/Rap. For people who like to write it off as masochistic, I suggest listening to some acts like Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Count Bass D, Paul Barman and Matisyahu. Then there's the fun angle of Nerdcore/Post Punk. I work with guys like MC Chris, MC Frontalot, MC Lars, YTCracker and Former Fat Boys. check them out sometime.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:08 PM
KevFist
is best pony

For anyone who'd like to check out Frontalot, he puts a lot of mp3s on his site for free download. Here's the link....

http://frontalot.com/index.php/?page=mp3

Lars does a lot of giveaways too...Here's some on his soundcloud...

http://soundcloud.com/mc-lars/tracks?page=1

Lastly, here's some free music from my record label.... The thing at the very top is a DJ Mix I did..first of a series we're planning. The last link there is an EP I did several years ago, which is also a free download.

http://www.mk837.com/category/free-2/

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I used to hate opera. Then I had a girlfriend that liked to play it during....you know. Now I get woozy every time I hear the opening to Carmen. I suppose if I were to meet another woman who felt the same way about Rap, I imagine the results would be the same.

Right now I'm listening to Van Morrison.
I don't know when it was but during a winter olympics, a married pairs duo (from Russia I believe) skated to Carmen. It was one of the hottest things I've ever seen on TV.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

I'm a huge metalhead Here are a couple of selections that get me going before games

When I'm not headbanging, I enjoy Queens of the Stone Age, Green Day, the Offspring, Rush, the Beatles, the Doors, and Queen.

So we'll say 80% metal and 20% pop punk and classic rock. Sounds about right.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote